Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Trevor Cahill DFA'd by Dbacks (Twins should take a flyer)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

Cahill is just 1 - 6 with of 5.66, but his FIP/xFIP is right at career norms, and his BABIP is 100 points above career norms. He's walking an extra better per inning but his strikeouts are way up. His contract calls for another eight million this year, twelve and half next, and options after that.

I wonder if the Dbacks would be willing to eat some salary, if we took him off their hands.

mlbtraderumors
fangraphs

Edited by PseudoSABR, 09 June 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#2 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

Another guy to block May and Meyer, no thanks

#3 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

Straight trade for Kevin Correia.

#4 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

Another guy to block May and Meyer, no thanks

His ERA's the last 4 years

His velocity is actually up this year (mostly in the bullpen). He's K'ing more batters. He's 26. The Twins should be getting this guy regardless of his bad 2 month start. May probably isn't better than him and Meyer will create space in the rotation when he's ready.

#5 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

Straight trade for Kevin Correia.

The chucklehouse that his the dbacks, it might just happen. They value veteran moxie more than the Twins.

#6 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

I'd definitely take a flyer on him. Give us another guy that's still a year or two from his peak (hopefully) and give us a rotation next year of Gibson, Hughes, Cahill, Meyer, ?

#7 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

• No way would I pick him up. Just look at the contract.
  • 2014 $7.7M
  • 2015 $12M
  • 2016 team option $13M, $300K buyout
  • 2017 team option $13.5M $500K buyout

#8 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:45 PM

I don't think Arizona is giving up on him. They need to pass him through waivers to get him to AAA and have a chance to work through his struggle. He is willing to go. They are risking someone will claim him. That team would be responsible for about 17 million through 2015 plus a buyout. That team would also need to keep him in the majors.

#9 Twins Daily Admin

Twins Daily Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

Wow. Talk about high risk, high reward. I honestly have no idea what I would do. But I'd sure think about grabbing him. This team could still spend some money.

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

Wow. Talk about high risk, high reward. I honestly have no idea what I would do. But I'd sure think about grabbing him. This team could still spend some money.

This player represents the kind of need, and this is the kind of deal, that will prove if the Twins are going for it or not....Kab is right, he's better than May right now, and potentially better than almost everyone else on this staff, for that matter.

To play you have to pay. The 2 team options for 2016 and 17 are actually an enhancer to making this deal, not a deterrent.

Edited by jokin, 09 June 2014 - 10:26 PM.

#11 jemihami

jemihami

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

Well, because of the new national television contract, they are +$25 million in revenue over 2013.

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:30 PM

He'd be a pretty big risk. I know some people see the 44 strike outs in 41 innings but that's way above his career norm (6.1 k/9 and 5.5 k/9 in the AL). And both his walks and hits are up this year.

#13 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

He'd be a pretty big risk. I know some people see the 44 strike outs in 41 innings but that's way above his career norm (6.1 k/9 and 5.5 k/9 in the AL). And both his walks and hits are up this year.

It looks like it's an issue with the sinker, his GB% is way down. Other bad luck numbers stand out, as Pseudo mentioned BABIP for one, as well as a low strand rate- there's a rookie SS in Arizona, that may or may be an issue, but the year over year comparisons- DPR, RngR, Inside Edge rates, are all down at SS for the D-Backs.

Again, his K rate is above his career norm, but his FIP/xFIP in 2014 come in comfortably below his career averages.

#14 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:52 PM

• No way would I pick him up. Just look at the contract.
  • 2014 $7.7M
  • 2015 $12M
  • 2016 team option $13M, $300K buyout
  • 2017 team option $13.5M $500K buyout

I don't expect the team to spend all of the money it could next season so a 1.5 yr commitment does not concern me at all. tbh it's almost perfect. If it works out they have him locked up through 2017.

#15 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:13 PM

I don't expect the team to spend all of the money it could next season so a 1.5 yr commitment does not concern me at all. tbh it's almost perfect. If it works out they have him locked up through 2017.

Right, it's likely more than $12M , maybe closer to double that, is coming off the books in 2015.

#16 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

one way to look at it - Cahill hypothetically replaces the spot vacated by Mike Pelfrey ...

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

Cahill is just 1 - 6 with of 5.66, but his FIP/xFIP is right at career norms, and his BABIP is 100 points above career norms. He's walking an extra better per inning but his strikeouts are way up. His contract calls for another eight million this year, twelve and half next, and options after that.

I wonder if the Dbacks would be willing to eat some salary, if we took him off their hands.

mlbtraderumors
fangraphs

An extra batter per inning? Damn that's a lot!

I don't want that contract and I'd guess the Diamondbacks would give him away to anyone who claimed him. I'd take a flier on him on a modest 2 year deal but even at his best, I'm not a huge fan. He's just another PTC arm who makes his defense get 80% of his outs for him.

#18 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

Sounds like a prototypical #4 or #5 Twins Starter... I am curious which team walks away first from a straight up swap of Cahill for Correia.

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

Interesting idea. If it works, wow. If not, you blocked some good AAA options. Last year, this is a no brainer. This year, not sure. If it works would you consider dealing May for a SS or catcher?

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,391 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

Yikes. A risky proposition but one that could pay huge dividends.

#21 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

His line drive percentage is up. It is not bad luck that babip is up. I would take a look to see if his slider and cutter are working

#22 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

Given the struggles of Nolasco, Deduno and Correia, Cahill blocks no one.

#23 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

One Orioles Fan seems to think Cahill should be claimed by a team:

http://camdendepot.b...some-sense.html

The thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is the Lefty/Righty Splits. Left handed batters seem to be very successful this year against Cahill...

#24 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

Pelfrey and Correia for Cahill, otherwise no deal.

#25 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

Pelfrey and Correia for Cahill, otherwise no deal.

I was gonna say throw in Kubel, since he's a former Diamondback player and Cahill and Kubel were both recently DFA'd.

#26 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

No risk. No reward.

If the Twins are serious about 2014 I think they make this move, because it makes the team better. We may all be clammoring for May/Meyer and the rest of the guys down in AAA, but I don't expect any of them to come up and be good right away. Remember what happened with Gibson last season? The guys in AAA still have something to learn when they get to the Twins, Cahill could provide an immediate boost to the pitching staff and someone who could help them win now.

Rick Anderson and his crew are good at teaching guys how to not walk people, seems like a good idea to bring in Cahill and let him pitch to contact to the Twins defense which has been top-5 in the league at turning GB's into outs.

It's a lot of money to invest, and comes with future money for next season, but hey, if yo want to win, you have to play the game, and you have to pay to play.

Welcome to Minnesota Trevor.

#27 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

No risk. No reward.

If the Twins are serious about 2014 I think they make this move, because it makes the team better. We may all be clammoring for May/Meyer and the rest of the guys down in AAA, but I don't expect any of them to come up and be good right away. Remember what happened with Gibson last season? The guys in AAA still have something to learn when they get to the Twins, Cahill could provide an immediate boost to the pitching staff and someone who could help them win now.

Rick Anderson and his crew are good at teaching guys how to not walk people, seems like a good idea to bring in Cahill and let him pitch to contact to the Twins defense which has been top-5 in the league at turning GB's into outs.

It's a lot of money to invest, and comes with future money for next season, but hey, if yo want to win, you have to play the game, and you have to pay to play.

Welcome to Minnesota Trevor.

[h=1]D’backs Option Trevor Cahill[/h]By Steve Adams [June 12, 2014 at 1:09pm CDT]
JUNE 12: Cahill has been optioned to the Diamondbacks’ Single-A Advanced affiliate, the club announced on Twitter. He will take the ball as the starter for Visalia tonight, tweets Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, which confirms both that he has accepted the assignment and that he will look to stretch out again as a starter.

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

Kind of pointless if he was optioned. He's not free to take. Cahill has been a pretty good player in the past and was also a big prospect. I don't see him being given away.

#29 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

Huh - the earlier reports said he was DFA'd. If they optioned him yesterday, he must have cleared waivers first. I guess the contract was too big for anyone to bite (or there were teams interested, but were talked out of it by the Arizona GM?).