Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Moving On

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 AJPettersen

AJPettersen

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail.../3078-Moving-On

#2 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

You're a great dude, A.J. And I think I speak for everyone when I say that you'll be successful in whatever it is you choose to do. I, personally, appreciate you opening up the doors on what it's like to be a ballplayer, for taking the time to talk to people (like me) who are much less knowledgeable than you. And for sharing late-night baseball stories in the Beloit Applebees.

You're a prospect, man, and someone is gonna be real happy to call you up... in the real world.

#3 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,468 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Thank you for all you have brought to Twins Daily ... for giving us an understanding of the day to day life in MiLB, for taking us along on your journey, for helping us to understand the drive and determination it takes each and every day.

All the very best to you, your wife and your extended family members. It seems as though you will have many options to share your passion for the game and for life ... whether through the written word, through coaching or through another avenue.

It has been our privilege to read your thoughts the past couple of years. Enjoy your life -- and let us know how you're doing from time to time!

#4 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

You will find a new (and better) career quickly. You can look at this as baseball taking away previous time from your writing career.

#5 lukingood

lukingood

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

Best of luck. I enjoyed your writing.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

AJ, congrats for going after your dream and making it happen and congrats again for stepping away when it was not your dream any more. Wishing you the best on the next page of your life.

#7 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

Good luck in your future. Really appreciated what you did here.

#8 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

Thank you for discussing a tough subject in such a personal and candid way AJ. You'll always be a favorite of this community, and I can hardly wait to see what you do next.

#9 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,173 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

All the best to you, AJ. Thanks for all that you've shared with us here.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

By the way, everybody, I bugged AJ all day yesterday and told him he needed to keep writing here occasionally... and I think he'll be willing to do that from time to time... I hope so at least... OK, it I didn't have to bug him too much.

#11 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

One thing that really needs to be mentioned is that sometimes we only look at a journey like A.J. Petterson's as a means to an end, and forget that sometimes the journey is an ends in itself. Minor league baseball is a special thing, and too often the game is clouded over when it is only seen as a dream. Anyone who has been to a game knows it is more than that. It is worthwhile in itself. Congratulations on a great baseball career A.J.

#12 triplethreat

triplethreat

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

AJP, you have blessed us with your writings, thoughts, philosphy, ... . Thank you. We wish you all the best.

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

Best of luck!

#14 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:23 PM

It's been a pleasure following you from draft day until today. I had a chance to talk to you at a game in Iowa about growing up in Minnesota, to talk MiLB with you on my podcast, and to read your thoughts here on Twins daily. It's been a pleasure. I wish you much luck in whatever comes next for you. Go Twins!

#15 benji21

benji21

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:35 PM

Best luck to you AJ. I hope you really enjoy the next phase of your life.

#16 dgwills

dgwills

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

Very few people have as much success in sports as you have. I know most of us would of loved to have been in your shoes for a few days. I always enjoyed your post . You seem like a genuinely good person. Keep us updated!

#17 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

AJ, To quote Bob Hope: "Thanks for the memories." Now onward and upward. You'll be fine young man. I hope you keep writing. I especially admire your honesty in your writing. I hope you will keep in touch.

#18 Wyorev

Wyorev

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

sometimes the journey is an ends in itself... Congratulations on a great baseball career A.J.

Ditto the other comments here. Mulhouse and Shane and all... I like this line: "Remember, the detour is the journey." AJP thanks for sharing your journey with us. I join the TD community in gratitude, and in wishing you the best in whatever comes next!

#19 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

AJ, thank you so much for all the tremendous insights and contributions you have shared with us. Not only the baseball side of your life and journey, but the very real personal side to things you revealed.

There is only a few at Twins Daily that have met you or know you in any way. But I think articles, openness and candor makes us all feel that we've met you and know you, at least a little bit. The Twins organization was lucky to have you, and might just be a little bit bleaker now without you. Who knows, perhaps your career path, if you do follow new dreams that lead you to coaching and the such, might lead you back to the Twins organization one day.

If you decide to agree to Seth's request to continue writing here, you will have some very grateful readers. Best of luck to you and yours AJ.

#20 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

http://www.cbssports...0140329_MIN@BOS

Always remember playing and scoring in your Call Up game this past spring training. Those are the moments that make the journey worth while. Great reading your articles and a pleasure following your gritty utility style of play. You are the definition of a hard nosed "Ball Player" - Enjoy your new ride??????

#21 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

Like the others who have posted, I enjoyed your posts very much. Stick around and keep contributing.

I never wanted to even hint at this before now, because, well, why. But I have to say that this outcome does not surprise me. There was always a tone, I'll call it melancholy, in your writing here that presaged a crisis or decision soon to come. I say that only to reinforce that IMO this decision has been brewing for quite some time, whether you realized it explicitly or not, and thus it surely is a solid one that comes from the heart. So, very best wishes to you in your next phase and proceed with confidence - I'll also echo the others who said that I'm sure you'll make your mark.

#22 tshide

tshide

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

I've enjoyed your writing AJ and hope you continue to contribute to Twins Daily. I wish you the best and respect the decision you made. You got a chance to chase a dream that few are able to and you give it your best, for that you should be proud.

#23 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:29 PM

Thanks AJ. It has been a pleasure reading your work, and I hope to continue to read it. It has also been a pleasure to follow your work as a ball player. I am confident that your zeal and conviction will carry you well through the next steps in your journey.

#24 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:59 PM

Thanks for chasing a dream, and walking away at the right time. As one reader who can only imagine what it's like to play baseball at such a high level, I thank you for telling me what it's like. I thank you for visiting with my boys among the mosquitoes outside the Rock Cats' clubhouse door, long after most of your teammates had left for the night.

Two of my dear friends played minor league ball. One went on to invent a breakfast cereal that feeds America's kids every morning. Another has made a career of turning floundering Boys & Girls Clubs into difference makers in low income, multicultural communities. He's a troubleshooter, who applies the hard work he learned on a baseball diamond, everyday.

AJ, I will look forward to seeing where God takes you. Keep writing. Tell your story. May your great gifts meet the world's great need. (paraphrase from Fredrick Buechner).

#25 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:25 PM

Best wishes. It's a privilege to be in this community with you.

#26 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

AJ, thanks for your excellent write-ups on baseball and on your perspective on sports in your life. Your articles have been a pleasure to read, so I hope you keep letting us in on your perceptions. Your writing has a friendly, sociable style that I'm sure reflects the kind of guy you are. I hope your life's adventures are as interesting and enjoyable as what you have shared with Twins Daily.

#27 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

AJ, I've really enjoyed your articles posted here on TD. I got to watch you play some last year in Ft Myers, and every year in spring training. Met your wife this spring down there, she's a keeper! You've lived the dream that this guy had from about 6 years old, and done well. The best of luck to you in what ever the future brings.

#28 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

As I said earlier - I wish you the best AJ. That being said: I would love to know your prospect rankings for the Twins as you had the pleasure to watch and play with these guys in Spring Training and beyond. I hope you stay involved with Twins Daily becuase like Jeremy said - You give such a different perspective on the make up of these guys as a true insider. I don't want you to lose friendships over your thoughts but would love to hear a more personal outlook on the TWins future (from 1 man's view).

#29 drunksam

drunksam

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

Very simply, thank you.

#30 kaylaxmarie18

kaylaxmarie18

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

When I saw you had retired from professional baseball, I will admit I was sad. I will miss cheering you on at the Rock Cats, but have to thank you for allowing me to have so much fun being your fan. You always seemed so happy at the games, and I appreciate that you would take the time to wave and say hello. I wish I had gotten the chance to say hi one more time this season. You always seemed so grateful and excited to be playing. I know you'll be able to find a new passion that you will love greatly. I wish you luck in whatever journey you tackle next, and hope for nothing but the best for you and your family. I will always be your fan, Kayla.