Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Which is the better SS decision?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Which was the better decision regarding SS for the Twins? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Which was the better decision regarding SS for the Twins?

1. Stephen Drew for 3 years and 39 Million (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Escobar at SS and Nick Burdi pick in 2nd round (15 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

Now that we have more facts, which of these decisions was the correct one?Signing Stephen Drew to a 3 year 39 million (his asking price) or Escobar at SS and Nick Burdi as our 2nd round draft pick and future bullpen arm?

#2 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

Drew w/o other moves remains a bad idea. Drew with Santana instead of Pelfrey, and Jose Abreu? then Drew, imo. But, if it is this in isolation......then not Drew. committment to strategy, one way or the other, not half way.....
Lighten up Francis....

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

I think Mike has it right. If the Twins were competing for a playoff spot, sign Drew. But if they are in rebuild, keep the pick. Burdi could turn into a healthy Joel Zumaya.

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,375 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

I think Mike has it right. If the Twins were competing for a playoff spot, sign Drew. But if they are in rebuild, keep the pick. Burdi could turn into a healthy Joel Zumaya.

He could also just turn into Joel Zumaya. Lots of risk in that arm.

#5 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

Oh, I am very worried about the arm....especially if they slow play him. I would have taken someone else, but Drew w/o other attempts to improve doesn't help enough to warrant giving up a 2nd rounder, imo. Santana, otoh, I would have done that for a second rounder (assuming you don't sign Pelfrey then).
Lighten up Francis....

#6 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

Drew 100 times out of 100.

#7 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:27 AM

I'd have rather targeted another comp player, Ervin Santana instead of Pelfrey for example.

#8 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

I'm satisfied with the way the situation unfolded. The Twins already have enough middling vets clogging up the roster.

#9 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

I'd rather have Escobar and Burdi than Drew, but I've never been a big Drew fan - so that could be a biased take.

All things considered, I'll take youth over the veteran - especially when the Twins aren't likely to contend this year. If the question becomes Ervin Santana or Burdi, however, I'll change my tune entirely.

#10 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

Drew has always been an average bat with an above average glove with an inability to stay healthy. He has been healthy for long periods of time 1 out of the last 4 years. In the position the Twins were before the season and Drew's asking price, I roll the dice with the draft pick every day of the week.