Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/5): Gilmartin Shines, Again

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:13 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...in-Shines-Again

#2 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:44 AM

Well...is it time to start cutting the chaff in the organization yet? I am thinking it is time to let KC and Diamond seek their fortunes elsewhere. And Promote Gilmartin and May

#3 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:08 AM

Well...is it time to start cutting the chaff in the organization yet? I am thinking it is time to let KC and Diamond seek their fortunes elsewhere. And Promote Gilmartin and May

Diamond probably gets squeezed out of the Rochester rotation before too long, but I'm not sure that the Twins are ready to cut bait on Correia yet. Certainly they want to find a way to make room for Meyer and May, but I don't see either of those guys up with the Twins before they reach 100 inning in Rochester. They Twins have time to be patient, and they love to talk about consistency, and handling adversity. So I don't think any moves are imminent.

#4 Emjcee

Emjcee

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:17 AM

In a spot start situation for the Miracle, i'm not sure much more than "just four innings" was being asked of Tim Shibuya. He and the rest of the bullpen were being asked to give the team a chance to win, and they did just that. 3 runs (2 earned), 7 hits, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts...not too shabby.

In addition, I believe you mixed up the Lakeland starter's line with Tim Shibuya's.

#5 Vzltwins

Vzltwins

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

Rosario didn't score on a chopper. It was a sac fly.

#6 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

Rosario didn't score on a chopper. It was a sac fly.

Vzl,
I was working off a newspaper report, thanks for the update. I'll edit as appropriate.

#7 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

Gilmartin is looking like a nice prospect now. Former first round pick that just took a little longer to develop possibly? I'd really like to see him come up and pitch in Rochester as soon as possible. He got owned there last year but I remember something about him saying he was pitching hurt. His K rate is about 1.5 per nine higher than his career average. Hopefully something clicked and it's not just an aberration. Sounds like his ceiling isn't all that high but as a former high draft pick I'd love to see him get more of a shot.

#8 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

Also, I wonder if the Twins should move Diamond to the bullpen. Maybe he bumps up his fastball a click or two and becomes our next Duensing? Cheap loogy. He has a full season of showing he can get major leaguers out, not sure what changed or maybe he was just very lucky.

#9 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:24 AM

How about Ortiz getting promoted and not missing a beat so far? How long until he cracks the top 20 Twins prospects on MLBPipeline?

#10 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

How about Ortiz getting promoted and not missing a beat so far? How long until he cracks the top 20 Twins prospects on MLBPipeline?

Because he has been so streaky in the past, I think we need to see him go into, and come out of, a slump before we know if he has turned the corner.

#11 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

The Twins have time to be patient, and they love to talk about consistency, and handling adversity. So I don't think any moves are imminent.

I guess that is why they are insistent about staying with Correia. He certainly is consistent. Personally, I feel it is well past the time to cut bait and move on with the future in mind. Correia is the past, probably won't even be remembered as a Twin. Same with Pelfrey, even with the remaining year and a half....... think Mike Lamb. Think Puig and the spark. Nolasco......... they are stuck with. Think Barry Zito.