Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game Thread: Brewers@Twins 6/4 7:10PM

• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

Game-time forecast: Mostly clear. Winds blowing in from left field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature near 75.

First you list a hitter and then you list a hitter who bats after that and another after that and another after that and another after that and another after that and another after that and another after that and another after that. Stop right there... You get no more. ChiTown will fill in the "Another after thats".

Okay, Bri ... and here are the 'after thats'

Brewers:
SP, Estrada

Segura SS
Braun RF
Lucroy C
Gomez CF
Ramirez DH
Weeks 2B
Reynolds 3B
Overbay 1B
Schafer LF

Twins:
SP, Nolasco

Santana CF
Dozier 2B
Mauer 1B
Willingham LF
Arcia RF
Plouffe 3B
Suzuki C
Pinto DH (<faints!>)
Escobar SS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things to Think About:

1. Airplanes -- Typically when teams play the final games of a series. They board an airplane bound for different directions. The current 4 game series with the Brewers is different because both the Brewers and Twins have to leave Milwaukee and fly to the Twin Cities. I wonder if they flew on the same plane. I wonder if they hung out together in the same terminal... the same gate. I wonder if they gathered together and placed bets on the exact time flights from other cities would land. I wonder if Carlos Gomez correctly nailed the exact time... the flight from Miami would land and I wonder if Glen Perkins got into his face after he stared at the board too long afterwards.

2. Marco Estrada -- For the 2nd game in a row... The Brewers will be tossing a starting pitcher from Mexico. Marco was born in Ciudad Obregon in Northern Mexico... Just about 6 hours straight south of Tucson. Marco may have been born there but he moved with his mother to California as a young boy. I don't have exact figures but I believe that Marco and his mom were a couple of a handful of immigrants from Mexico that settled in California. He played high school baseball in the L.A. area and he played junior college ball in the L.A. area and College ball at Long Beach State in the L.A. area. He was drafted by the Washington Nationals in the 6th round. His minor league career started shortly afterwards in Vermont. The very second he arrived in Vermont... he noticed that there was a difference between Vermont and the L.A. area especially after running into Larry and his brother Daryl and his other brother Daryl. When I've seen him pitch... he can strike you out. He can also lay some cookies in there for a team to enjoy.

3. Ricky Nolasco -- Hasn't smoothly destroyed opposition batters but he has kept the Twins within striking distance in 5 of his last 6 starts. His 5.70 ERA looks terrible but the numbers are where they are because of a few starts were he looked real real bad. Which Nolasco shows up tonight will go a long way toward winning tonight.

4. Aramis Ramirez -- Ramirez has been on the D.L. with a hamstring issue since early May and he is supposed to return to the lineup today in the DH spot. When you purchase a ham at a supermarket... They are typically bound by a string. The reason for this... the world has produced too much string and doesn't know what to do with it. The excess string has caused problems with many athletes forcing them on to the disabled list. Aramis Ramirez is back today and by being in the lineup... He becomes another weapon.

5. Advice from Elders -- My dad was always a good source of advice. He has lived a long time and that experience was always a gold mine to turn to. Lately... My dad has become much more forgetful but it doesn't mean that his advice isn't still valuable. One Day my dad took me aside and left me there.

Edited by ChiTownTwinsFan, 04 June 2014 - 03:33 PM.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#2 TheDean

TheDean

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Zukes AND Pinto! This might be the best lineup Gardy has put together all season (offensively anyway, not sure that the defense in the OF will do Nolasco too many favors).

#3 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

Hmmm...not sure Gardy has thought this through properly. If Suzuki gets hurt, doesn't that mean that...

#4 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

I guess if we're gonna have both catchers in the lineup, we should get both SS in there too

#5 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,418 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

3. Ricky Nolasco -- Hasn't smoothly destroyed opposition batters but he has kept the Twins within striking distance in 5 of his last 6 starts. His 5.70 ERA looks terrible but the numbers are where they are because of a few starts were he looked real real bad. Which Nolasco shows up tonight will go a long way toward winning tonight.

I thought if I looked at his season splits, we'd see gradual improvement but alas, that really isn't the case.

i guess we simply need to hope that his last game was a harbinger of good things to come.

#6 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

I really like seeing Santana getting a chance with the Twins. I really don't like that it has mainly been in CF.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Elizabethton (with Chief)

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

Similar to Pinto always catching Deduno, everyone knows that Santana is Nolasco's personal center fielder :)

#8 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • LocationChange my photo

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

That Lucroy sure kills us. Hit .356 against Twins pitching in the past 3 years, and OPS is 1.008. Good numbers for him. Bad for us.

#9 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

Gardy after putting both catchers in the lineup aged 20 years. The stress of it all.

Posted Image
This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

#10 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

Never shall the goatee be shaved, however :)

#11 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • LocationChange my photo

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

Nice start for Nolasco.

#12 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

Uh oh. Mauer batting with RISP...

#13 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

Not anymore.

#14 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,418 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

Uh oh. Mauer batting with RISP...

In the Sports On Earth article on Dozier, I found this paragraph hilarious:

Nor is Dozier, visually, someone who looks like a power threat. He's listed at 5-foot-11, 190 pounds. See his 6-5 teammate Joe Mauer walk past him, and you'd figure Mauer is the home run leader on the Twins, but it is Dozier who leads the team in home runs with 11.

#15 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,418 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:25 PM

The power of home field.

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Zukes AND Pinto! This might be the best lineup Gardy has put together all season (offensively anyway, not sure that the defense in the OF will do Nolasco too many favors).

I think he's growing accustomed to that fact.

#17 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

I guess if we're gonna have both catchers in the lineup, we should get both SS in there too

Actually all THREE, and Gardy's tried that one at least once, already.

#18 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 89 posts

I want a Gardy gnome.

#19 stringer bell

stringer bell

Twins New Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,612 posts

Ugh. Still couldn't score him.

#20 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

The power of home field.

Dozier called out stealing third, overruled to safe, Mauer soft liner to shallow right for second out. Good grief...

#21 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

Yeah, i was hoping that Dozier would try to tag on Mauer's fly ball.

Oh well.

And Milwaukee plates a run on two two out doubles in the 2nd. (That's 4 of a kind)

#22 stringer bell

stringer bell

Twins New Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

Can't blame the defense for either double. I am guessing that it will take more than one run to win this game.

#23 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for another nice sterno log of wisdom and humor to get the game thread campfire going.

With regard to which Nolasco shows up tonight, well, home/road splits are usually not a big deal for most players, and have more than a little SSS flakiness just two months into the system.

That being said, there's a good chance of seeing Good Ricky instead of Evil Ricky tonight:

Nolasco opposing hitters 2014...

Home: .241/.283/.467

Road: .366/.418/.594

So at home, the average batter vs. Nolasco is Dozier minus some walks. On the road, the average hitter is... a first ballot Hall of Famer. Mauer 2009 minus some walks, I guess?

Oh, and speaking of sterno logs, that warning label is bs. Burned one along with real logs in the fireplace once. No Chernobyl.

Edited by LaBombo, 04 June 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#24 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,418 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

Bremer's fixation on American League Rules vs. National League Rules is beyond irritating.

#25 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

Was TD down for the rest of you for a while?

#26 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:05 PM

Bremer's fixation on American League Rules vs. National League Rules is beyond irritating.

Willing to cut him just a little slack because of the fairly rare instance of a home and home, NL/AL series. It does highlight the contrast.

That being said, yeah, way too much of it, and too early tonight. Was hoping to avoid it until we got into PH/RP territory, but no. And the next time he launches into an inning-long explanation of double switch strategy that sounds like an elementary school chess club teacher explaining en passant to the one kid who doesn't get it, the volume goes off.

#27 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

Love this line-up. Please let it score some runs so Gardy doesn't dump it after one game.

#28 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

No, not today.

#29 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

Wasn't my fault. 0 for server-crashing .gifs tonight. So far.

#30 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

Can't blame the defense for either double. I am guessing that it will take more than one run to win this game.

Can I blame the second double on not one, but two fat 0-2 pitches?