Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Interview with Twins GM Terry Ryan - Part 2

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:44 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...rry-Ryan-Part-2

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#2 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,487 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

Thanks, JC.

And it looks like you get a little excitement with a couple of adds --- will be interested to read your impressions of Thorpe and Romero.

Christensen - I get the added pressure of playing in front of the home town crowd but that has to be offset somewhat by the comfort of living somewhere familiar. Nice to see an Iowan having some success.

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

More good stuff, thanks again to both you and Terry.
Lighten up Francis....

#4 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Locationsouthern Iowa

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for putting in the part about Chad Christensen!

#5 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,332 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

Thanks Cricket.

Terry really should have a hat on!!

#6 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Yes he should.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,249 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

Great stuff on Kohl Stewart. Would sure be interesting to get his thoughts after seeing him. I think he gave up three runs (1 earned only) in the first inning that game and then nothing the next five. I would think that would be impressive to a GM.

Great stuff on Christensen too. yes, a 25th round pick, but ability to play a lot of places and enough in his bat too.

#8 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

I didn't get to talk to Ryan afterward, Seth, but I'm sure he was satisfied that Stewart was unaffected by his rare bad outing on Memorial Day. Even the early hits he gave up in the inning the runs were scored were pretty much bloops and bleeders. Little solid contact off him.

#9 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:17 PM

Nice stuff on Buxty at the end there. Get him at-bats? Could he be talking about Arizona Fall League? Can he repeat the league this year? I know that we all expect Sano to DH towards the end of the year and then go to AFL. How cool would it be to have both of those fellows in the AFL and possibly see JO Berrios. Sounds like an AFL to be excited about (assuming Buxton could be added again).

Also wonder if Rosario could play too. Ill google it and get back to the thread.

edit. I couldnt find anything about repeating. But did find that players have to be activated 45 days before the end of their season (from dl). Also, foreign born players have some regulations so Sano might not be able to play for both of those reasons. Anyone else want to clarify?

Edited by Twins Twerp, 03 June 2014 - 06:29 PM.
Clarification

#10 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

I thought I read somewhere that the Twins were not allowing Stewart to throw sliders. Anyone know if that is correct? If true, it's hard to look at his stats, and get any indication of how he is progressing......

#11 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

I thought I read somewhere that the Twins were not allowing Stewart to throw sliders. Anyone know if that is correct? If true, it's hard to look at his stats, and get any indication of how he is progressing......

Reports are that he is working strictly fb/change. I think it is a great idea as he needs to learn how to pitch and not rely on his slider which is his best pitch. Just imagine how good he could be with that slider.

#12 Larsbars08

Larsbars08

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

I've repeated that line before and I've seen it mentioned many times. But is there any kind of official confirmation on that?