Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Draft Preview: Alex Jackson

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ew-Alex-Jackson

#2 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

Good writeup. So basically, If he's there at #5, other than the 'big 3'...Twins have to select him.

#3 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,031 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

I wouldn't say they "have" to. I'll be honest. If I'm the Astros, I chose between Aiken and Jackson. If I'm the Marlins, I choose between Aiken, Jackson and Rodon. If I'm the White Sox, I take the guy that's left. That's my Top 3. Kolek, Gordon and Nola are my next three.

But that's me. And though I know the Twins like him, it's impossible to know what's going on in the draft room right now.

#4 Menth12

Menth12

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

Does Jackson project to hit for average or does he only have a power bat?

#5 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,031 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:52 AM

That's the hardest thing to gauge as a high some. I've heard ceiling of .280, 30 HRs.

#6 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:32 AM

Certainly one of the top guys. I would not complain if he is the puck. KLaw said recently a team should leave him at catcher for a year or so, to see if he can stick. He, I think, believes that is a real possibility.

#7 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,031 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

Certainly one of the top guys. I would not complain if he is the puck. KLaw said recently a team should leave him at catcher for a year or so, to see if he can stick. He, I think, believes that is a real possibility.

I would love that. I had a "spirited" discussion about that exact possibility with someone in the Twins organization.

The summary:
Me: "He has more value if he stays at catcher."
Him: "Sure, but he has value otherwise."
Me: "Well, then, I'd rather have a pitcher than another outfielder."
Him: "Have you seen him play... like, in person?"
Me: "No."
Him: "That's what I thought."

So his 30+ games of seeing him probably trumps my type of scouting.

#8 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:15 AM

I would love that. I had a "spirited" discussion about that exact possibility with someone in the Twins organization.

The summary:

Funny dialogue. I think the cream of this draft is four picks, in order. Aiken, Rodon, Jackson, and Kolek. I hope one of the four drop to us and we pick that one over Gordon.

#9 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:57 AM

The summary:

This is priceless. Thanks for sharing it, Jeremy.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Great story/exchange... For me, after reading these, I'm not sure what my Top 5 would be, but I think that Rodon, Aiken and Jackson are in the top tier. Then there's the Gordon, Kolek, Nola group that could include Freeland. And then there's another step. But I could be wrong.

#11 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

Great story/exchange... For me, after reading these, I'm not sure what my Top 5 would be, but I think that Rodon, Aiken and Jackson are in the top tier. Then there's the Gordon, Kolek, Nola group that could include Freeland. And then there's another step. But I could be wrong.

Honestly, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer this year. Last year it was a definite tier of Appel/Gray/Bryant but this year it seems no experts agree. I have seen people suggest there is a top 2 with Aiken/Rodon. Some suggest a top three with Kolek added into that group. A Top 5 with Jackson/Gordon or a top 6 with Nola added to the top group. Heck, Chris Crawford's last board had Gordon at #3.....very interesting draft this year.

#12 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

Honestly, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer this year. Last year it was a definite tier of Appel/Gray/Bryant but this year it seems no experts agree. I have seen people suggest there is a top 2 with Aiken/Rodon. Some suggest a top three with Kolek added into that group. A Top 5 with Jackson/Gordon or a top 6 with Nola added to the top group. Heck, Chris Crawford's last board had Gordon at #3.....very interesting draft this year.

I think the only "wrong" is taking a guy for the wrong reason. Nola for example, if we are considering him because of how quckly he will be up. I think that would be a mistake. If your scouts feel like he has the most upside at #5, that is fine. Or Gordon because we have need at SS now. Same thing, if we think he is the best on the board at #5 then take him.

#13 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

I think the only "wrong" is taking a guy for the wrong reason. Nola for example, if we are considering him because of how quckly he will be up. I think that would be a mistake. If your scouts feel like he has the most upside at #5, that is fine. Or Gordon because we have need at SS now. Same thing, if we think he is the best on the board at #5 then take him.

I don't know about that. IMO, with this draft class it comes down to which flaws are you willing to ignore. There's a lot of talent in this draft, but there are no Strausburgs. And there may not even be a Kris Bryant. There's a risk factor to everyone at the top of the draft.

Nola may be a risk-adverse pick, but right now there's so much risk in Meyer, May, Berrios and Stewart with their walk tendencies that you could argue you need a safe pitcher to counterbalance them. Gordon scares me if he has to move off shortstop, but at the same time there really isn't a shortstop of the future in the system right now.

With the way this draft is shaping up, you could make an argument there are seven or eight people who make sense at 5, and it's harder than it is in normal years to tell the busts from the future all-stars this time around.

#14 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

While you and I might disagree on who we like at #5 I couldn't agree more. Twins will take BPA so we will know on Thursday who they think has the highest upside.