Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

The sarcastic Santana injury tweets

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
90 replies to this topic

#1 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

Follow

Posted ImagePatrick Reusse@1500ESPN_Reusse

Danny Santana headed for 60-day w/ eyelid cut? @LaVelleNeal

Edited by jokin, 01 June 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#2 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

Follow

Posted ImagePatrick Reusse@1500ESPN_Reusse

Danny Santana headed for 60-day w/ eyelid cut? @LaVelleNeal

I didn't want to mention that I feared the worst, I had a family member who sustained a cut in the eyelid, the complications and challenges to full healing were tremendous. And he didn't play professional baseball.

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

Posted ImageLaVelle E. Neal III @LaVelleNeal · 9m

Dr. Andrews to perform eyelid replacement surgery RT @1500ESPN_Reusse: Danny Santana headed for 60-day w/ eyelid cut? @LaVelleNeal

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

Wow. Can this be real?

Edited by jokin, 01 June 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#5 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

I thought this was a joke. Is it April 1?

Can someone get a real story on this?

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

I thought this was a joke. Is it April 1?

Can someone get a real story on this?

Your eyelids are extremely important to good vision health. Gardy himself said that the cut extended across the entire eyelid. I wonder if Santana also sustained tear duct damage....hopefully it's just superficial damage.

If Reusse and Neal are having some fun, and continuing their campaign of destruction on the Twins and their OF situation, that's just not cool.

Edited by jokin, 01 June 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#7 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

If Reusse and Neal are having some fun, that's just not cool.

Reading the responses to LEN3's post, it seems like others have doubts as well as me.

Given how unusual this is, they need to be really clear about what is going on. Waiting for Berardino to post a story since he is usually on top of things.

#8 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

Reading the responses to LEN3's post, it seems like others have doubts as well as me.

Given how unusual this is, they need to be really clear about what is going on. Waiting for Berardino to post a story since he is usually on top of things.

Responsible news reporters have certain duties and ethical responsibilities, above the average rube, even on Twitter, right?

#9 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

Responsible news reporters have certain duties and ethical responsibilities, above the average rube, even on Twitter, right?

Apparently they thought it was so absurd they didn't need to be responsible.

Santana looks pretty good there on the bench.

#10 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

Again, I would ban head first slides in my org........that is what happened, correct?
Lighten up Francis....

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

Guys... it's Reusse being sarcastic about Twins injuries... there's absolutely nothing to it.

#12 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,190 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Guys... it's Reusse being sarcastic about Twins injuries... there's absolutely nothing to it.

I'm sorry, but that's quite a jerk move. But then I guess one man's humour/sarcasm is another woman's 'that's quite a jerk move.'

#13 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

I get sarcastic, but the bigger point is that Reusse and his minions are on a reckless and relentless campaign against something they don't like going on with the Twins. They shouldn't be using the repertorial tools and then blurring the line between clown posting and reporting (especially with the Twins beat writer in on the gimmick).

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

Again, I would ban head first slides in my org........that is what happened, correct?

Let's see, so far it's cost them Buxton and Santana, anyone else I've left out?

#15 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 712 posts
  • Locationsouthern Iowa

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

I'm sorry, but that's quite a jerk move. But then I guess one man's humour/sarcasm is another woman's 'that's quite a jerk move.'

I have a pretty good sense of humor. In no way is this funny. They are being jerks.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#16 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,190 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

I have a pretty good sense of humor. In no way is this funny. They are being jerks.

Yeah ... I wasn't giving it a pass, but was trying to keep it ... civil.

#17 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

Apparently they thought it was so absurd they didn't need to be responsible.

Santana looks pretty good there on the bench.

This is the internet, and the beat writer was in on this, too. Very irresponsible. Twitter goes out worldwide, how many are capable of appreciating the context of such "humor", especially when you're talking about an injury that could potentially permanently affect a player's vision?

Has everyone simply forgotten about Kirby and his literally overnight glaucoma revelation?

Edited by jokin, 01 June 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#18 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

Well, to each his own...my first reaction to this was to chuckle.

​I mean c'mon..."Dr Andrews to perform eyelid replacement surgery"?

#19 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

Well, to each his own...my first reaction to this was to chuckle.

​I mean c'mon..."Dr Andrews to perform eyelid replacement surgery"?

Having a family member almost lose a portion of his eyesight in one eye from an eyelid injury, chuckling was not my first reaction, or last. A full dose of "Aghast", at the insensitivity of the comment was more my first reaction, although totally expected from Reusse, but then the piling on, all in good fun, by the Twins beat writer, was a bit strange.

#20 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

Berardino's update on Santana's status:

http://blogs.twincit...ake-no-chances/

#21 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

Thanks, and to Seth as well, for doing some fact checking. It does seem likely that if this was a true report someone else would have at least mentioned it.
Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day.

#22 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

He removed the bandage covering he seven stitches on his left eyelid and went through full baseball activity, but Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said he was leery of using Santana in a game just yet.“If I run him back out there, and he opens that thing back up, we just lose a few more days,” Gardenhire said. “I’m going to try to give him another day (Sunday) at least. We’ll see what we’ve got when we get to Milwaukee. Let it heal a little bit. It’s (in) a dangerous place. I don’t want to mess around with it.”
Santana, a switch-hitter, suggested he had a more difficult time tracking pitches when hitting right-handed during batting practice on Saturday. In that case, his left eye is the lead eye.

Gardy gets it. There's a risk of eye infection and getting injured from a thrown baseball, the good news I infer from this is that the cut is definitely superficial, no damage to the tear ducts or the eye itself.

To obliquely criticize Gardy and Twins' management for their decision to withhold Santana in this case, by the likes of supposedly responsible Strib journalists, I find worse than the any of the worst of the typical rube Strib commenters.

#23 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

Its just sarcasm, the reactions here are really just being overally dramatic. We call the CF situation a "disaster" and no one is doing any gymnastics to tie that to real, deadly disasters. No reason to be that sensitive.

#24 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

Its just sarcasm, the reactions here are really just being overally dramatic. We call the CF situation a "disaster" and no one is doing any gymnastics to tie that to real, deadly disasters. No reason to be that sensitive.

Again, Kirby Puckett.

#25 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

Concur.

Besides,Ruesse's tweet is totally unrealistic... everyone knows he would have been "day to day" for a week or three before heading to the DL.

#26 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:19 PM

Concur.

Besides, everyone knows he would have been "day to day" for a week or three before heading to the DL.

Now, that's funny...:D

#27 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

Now, that's funny...:D

And true ...

#28 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

Again, Kirby Puckett.

Yeah, that sucked for Kirby. Hughes is "battling" today....I don't feel the need to stump about all the real battles our brave military is in. Its just unnecessary and silly.

#29 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

Posters here are wound too tight. It's just baseball. Watch the game, enjoy,--it isn't life or death.

#30 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

And true ...

Funny how the added element of truth makes things actually "funnnier"....