Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Risers in the Twins Farm System

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:31 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ins-Farm-System

#2 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:11 AM

I like your enthusiasm for May, but I just don't see his season being "substantially" better than Meyer's. I don't deny that he currently has better numbers, but they are also really only one bad game away from being worse numbers. I like them both, way better than the prospect of Nolasco for 4 years and the continued presence of Pelfrey and Correia in the rotation.

Edited by h2oface, 21 May 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#3 the blade

the blade

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:19 AM

Please reread the part on May. Thanks.

I like your enthusiasm for May, but I just don't see his season being "substantially" better than Meyer's. I don't deny that he currently has better numbers, but they are also really only one bad game away from being worse numbers. I like them both, way better than the prospect of Nolassco for 4 years and the continued presence of Pelfrey and Correia in the rotation.

#4 Miraclemat

Miraclemat

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:16 AM

Please reread the part on May. Thanks.

That sentence can easily be read to say that May IS having a substantially better season......but STILL isn't the reason he is on the list.

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

That sentence can easily be read to say that May IS having a substantially better season......but STILL isn't the reason he is on the list.

I took it to read as I'm sure Nick inteded. Great article.

#6 Boone

Boone

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

Trevor May took a big step forward in the middle of 2013:

April and May 2013: 60.1 IP 7.9 K/9 4.8 BB/9 1.7 K/BB
June on : 95 IP 10 K/9 3.3 BB/9 3.0 K/BB

It's great to see that this success, especially his improved control, has carried over to AAA.

#7 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

If they needed a guy today I don't see how you could justify taking Meyer or May over Darnell. Of course barring injury there are going to be at least two more and probably at least 3 more rotations before they are going to replace any of the Twins rotation after Correia's decent start against the Padres. That will give more time for evaluation between the 3 as well as Pelfrey.

#8 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:01 AM

Risers? I guess, but these guys were all pretty high on the list to start with. How about this list:

Mitch Garver
Levi Michael
Kennys Vargas

Aaron Slegers
Logan Darnell
Alex Wimmers

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:11 AM

I've always been skeptical of Berrios because of his size and projectability but, damn... the kid just pitches no matter where you put him in the organization.

#10 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

Yeah, he could turn into a nice #3 or 4 - which is a good thing.

#11 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

Any chance Berrios turns into Pedro Martinez but with a better personality? I know Jose is much bigger then Pedro but still...

#12 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

Any chance Berrios turns into Pedro Martinez but with a better personality? I know Jose is much bigger then Pedro but still...

None.

But I like Berrios a lot. If he can handle a starter workload, I think he can be a solid #2.

#13 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

If they needed a guy today I don't see how you could justify taking Meyer or May over Darnell. Of course barring injury there are going to be at least two more and probably at least 3 more rotations before they are going to replace any of the Twins rotation after Correia's decent start against the Padres. That will give more time for evaluation between the 3 as well as Pelfrey.

Pelfrey just needs to pitch passably and he will be the first call-up, whether we like it or not.

(And in the big scheme of things, Darnell is almost an afterthought compared to what May, and especially Meyer, can ultimately bring to the rotation. Of course, the Twins generally prefer to call up the prospects lowest on the expectations list first, so if there's an opening in the next few weeks and Pelfrey can't cut it, Darnell will likely be the first to get the call.)

#14 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

I took it to read as I'm sure Nick inteded. Great article.

As did I

#15 Sleestax

Sleestax

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

I like your enthusiasm for May, but I just don't see his season being "substantially" better than Meyer's. I don't deny that he currently has better numbers, but they are also really only one bad game away from being worse numbers. I like them both, way better than the prospect of Nolasco for 4 years and the continued presence of Pelfrey and Correia in the rotation.

Correia is gone after this year but still may be able to dump him b/f trade deadline. Pelfrey we are stuck with for one more year. The Twins must have had a reason to do a 2 year with him, maybe it will surface. Hughes we have for 2 more years and at a fair price. Nolasco is just gonna have to adjust to the American League. Even if he drops to 3 rd/4th in the rotation. He will come around. Everybody wants to see the new 'M@M" boys come in and strike people out. Deduno I think will continue as 5th in rotation.

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

With Darnell, May, and Meyer on their way up, I wonder if it's time to sell on Deduno. He's not young, but he's cheap and has demonstrated AL success. With continued starting success, I'd think he'd fetch a nice prospect. They are going to need to find room for these 3 and with Hughes and Nolasco under contract, and Gibson also doing quite well, there's not enough room.

#17 troyhobbs

troyhobbs

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

I've always been skeptical of Berrios because of his size and projectability but, damn... the kid just pitches no matter where you put him in the organization.

You don't have to be 100 ft tall to be a good pitcher, he's got plenty of potential.

#18 Wookiee of the Year

Wookiee of the Year

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

Risers? I guess, but these guys were all pretty high on the list to start with. How about this list:

Mitch Garver
Levi Michael
Kennys Vargas

Aaron Slegers
Logan Darnell
Alex Wimmers

You're not wrong, but it sets a different tone to say, "Sure, three of our top five prospects are out right now, but Prospect #22 on the depth chart is really impressing!" These guys are showing signs of improvement, but I think the point of this article was you don't have to go all that far down the prospect list to find reasons for optimism.

#19 blairpaul715

blairpaul715

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:20 PM

I havnt been high on Berrios, but hope I am wrong.........he doesn't have a lot of projection, and , I know he is young, but he is not blowing away hitters.........I see him as a future bullpen guy, or maybe a 4th 5th starter, and nothing wrong with that, if he truly is a 4th or 5th starter and not a recently typical Twins AAAA 4th and 5th starter..............Darnell is at best a 5th starter, I don't holdout that he is going to be anything more than a filler at the MLB level, again, I hope to be wrong, and he becomes or someone becomes good trade bait for other things we need in the future :)

#20 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:45 AM

I'm not Berrios' biggest fan either but I do like him. His ceiling is a #3 pitcher (one plus pitch and two more avg pitches). The positives on him are legit though; he seems durable - over 100 innings last year + WBC before hand. He's been really young for his levels. And his makeup, baseball knowledge, work ethic etc are all supposed to be fantastic. Hard not to root for him.