Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Draft Preview: Experts Weigh In

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...xperts-Weigh-In

#2 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

Matt Garrioch also posted his 2nd mock today as well:
http://www.minorleag...draft-version-2

Gordon is also Twins selection in this mock as well. I'd like the Twins to get a crack at Kolek, but I still don't see that happening.

#3 HansGruber

HansGruber

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

Seems Gordon is the consensus pick. There was a similar consensus with Stewart last year but I guess the wild card here is who is pick in the first four spots.
On another note, Rondon goes to NCST not Stanford.

#4 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

If Kolek falls to the Twins and they don't pick him, I have a term for that: Too dumb to live. I usually reserve that term for the guy in a slasher flick that goes to check out that sound in the basement. Passing on Kolek is like passing on CC Sabbathia. Too dumb to live.

#5 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:12 AM

That Cubs scenario seems ridiculous. I respect Manuel but...I can't see the cubs passing on that guy because its not what they normally do.

Theo Epstein is no fool and doesn't seem like a slave to tradition.

#6 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:19 AM

To me, the Manuel scenario seemed pretty legit. I can see the Cubs looking at Kolek as too risky and going with a safer option. And if the White Sox like Jackson as much as he says, then that means if Kolek doesn't go first or second, he's around at five. (And Manuel has him falling all the way to the PHillies at seven.)

#7 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

If Kolek falls to the Twins and they don't pick him, I have a term for that: Too dumb to live. I usually reserve that term for the guy in a slasher flick that goes to check out that sound in the basement. Passing on Kolek is like passing on CC Sabbathia. Too dumb to live.

I like that "too dumb to live" expression!!

You can never have too much pitching, I say pick Kolek if he's available.

#8 golfboy1

golfboy1

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

I wouldn't be quite that hard on them. I'd prefer Kolek if he's available but there are definitely questions or concerns about him. Anyone that throws that hard is a candidate for TJ surgery. He also doesn't seem to be much more than a thrower right now. He "could" turn into the next Colt Griffin as easy as CC Sabathia.

I'd still take him but I can see why the Twins would go with Gordon or Jackson instead.

#9 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

I'm fine with passing on Kolek. Too much of his value is tied to velocity. His team lost in the playoffs because he couldn't throw strikes against high schoolers. The bust potential is huge.

Gordon isn't without risk, but it's certainly less than a raw, flame-throwing high school righthander.

#10 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

Who was the 4th top pitching prospect that needed TJ surgery. It seems likely all the top guys will need it at some point so there might be something to be said for getting it out of the way early. We are hoping for a rotation mix of Hughes, Gibson, Berrios, May, Meyer, Darnell and Stewart down the road that can stay together for a few years so having another guy with a later target date might not be a bad thing.

#11 Mave

Mave

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

Who was the 4th top pitching prospect that needed TJ surgery. It seems likely all the top guys will need it at some point so there might be something to be said for getting it out of the way early. We are hoping for a rotation mix of Hughes, Gibson, Berrios, May, Meyer, Darnell and Stewart down the road that can stay together for a few years so having another guy with a later target date might not be a bad thing.

http://espn.go.com/c...my-john-surgery

#12 Larsbars08

Larsbars08

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:45 AM

I would kind of like to see the Twins take a flyer and draft Hoffman. He was considered a consensus top-3 pick before TJ surgery, and as much as TJ surger scares me, a guy with his talent doesn't come around very often. Considering his lack of leverage, he'd probably sign for less, which could free up money for the Twins to throw at someone in the 2nd round with some signability issues.

Nick Gordon sounds good, but I haven't really heard anything about the offensive side of his game? Has anyone seen any good scouting reports on him?

#13 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

I would kind of like to see the Twins take a flyer and draft Hoffman. He was considered a consensus top-3 pick before TJ surgery, and as much as TJ surger scares me, a guy with his talent doesn't come around very often. Considering his lack of leverage, he'd probably sign for less, which could free up money for the Twins to throw at someone in the 2nd round with some signability issues.

Nick Gordon sounds good, but I haven't really heard anything about the offensive side of his game? Has anyone seen any good scouting reports on him?

Kind of my point but I don't know how low they think he will fall. Waste to take him in the 1st round if they can get him in the 2nd. I really have no idea.

#14 Larsbars08

Larsbars08

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

He won't be available in the 2nd round. I was saying it might be worth it for the 5th overall pick. Especially if Aiken, Rodon, Kotek, and Jackson are all gone. Risky as all hell though.

#15 twinsin17

twinsin17

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

I'm not so sure the Twins would have picked Hoffman without the injury. Now with TJ surgery he is certainly out of the conversation. Given the depth of this draft it would not be surprising if Hoffman was available with our 2nd pick. We have to realize that although TJ surgery has a high success rate (meaning it doesn't end careers as once feared) players rarely, if ever, get back to their pre-TJ selves and the risk of a similar UCL injury is greatly increased. I'd take Gordon, Jackson, Freeland or Nola instead.

#16 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

There is no doubt Kolek is talented and tempting. In the long term, might just be the best player available this entire draft. But there is some concern weight wise and secondary stuff.

Great reports on Jackson, especially if your are willing to be patient and leave him at C. And I wouldn't be opposed at all to that approach.

If the teams before the Twins pick smartly, accordingly, aren't looking for a bargain sign to spend more later, I see it coming down to Jackson or Gordon as a position player, and Nola as the best arm available.

The baseball draft has always been, still is, about the BPA even more than other sports due to the minor league development time. However, that doesn't mean you don't draft based upon organizational need.

You can never have enough pitching, and I love Nola, but considering the overall depth of pitching talent in the minors, I wonder if SP is our top priority for this draft. The potential of Gordon is excellent in all phases. But while I hate to play a numbers game with a talented youngster with potential that is hard to quantify, I'm not seeing or hearing the equivalent potential of a Sano or Buxton.

I know this isn't exact, fair, or ultimately accurate necessarily. But it is what we have to work with. And my pick would be Trea Turner. A month of so ago, everyone was jonesing for the Twins to pick him if he fell to us. A good but down season this year has him falling down the board. But previously, we were talking about a college SS, who might move quickly, who cold field and was a legit SS, who could hit, get on base, provide some gap power, and could run like the wind.

It might be a somewhat surprise pick, but I think I'd go with Turner at 5.

#17 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

Callis mentioned in his recent mock there is a top tier of 5 players. Aiken, Rodon, Kolek, Jackson, and Gordon. I would be happy with any of them. Outside of them I have Holmes next.

#18 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

There is no doubt Kolek is talented and tempting. In the long term, might just be the best player available this entire draft. But there is some concern weight wise and secondary stuff.

Great reports on Jackson, especially if your are willing to be patient and leave him at C. And I wouldn't be opposed at all to that approach.

If the teams before the Twins pick smartly, accordingly, aren't looking for a bargain sign to spend more later, I see it coming down to Jackson or Gordon as a position player, and Nola as the best arm available.

The baseball draft has always been, still is, about the BPA even more than other sports due to the minor league development time. However, that doesn't mean you don't draft based upon organizational need.

You can never have enough pitching, and I love Nola, but considering the overall depth of pitching talent in the minors, I wonder if SP is our top priority for this draft. The potential of Gordon is excellent in all phases. But while I hate to play a numbers game with a talented youngster with potential that is hard to quantify, I'm not seeing or hearing the equivalent potential of a Sano or Buxton.

I know this isn't exact, fair, or ultimately accurate necessarily. But it is what we have to work with. And my pick would be Trea Turner. A month of so ago, everyone was jonesing for the Twins to pick him if he fell to us. A good but down season this year has him falling down the board. But previously, we were talking about a college SS, who might move quickly, who cold field and was a legit SS, who could hit, get on base, provide some gap power, and could run like the wind.

It might be a somewhat surprise pick, but I think I'd go with Turner at 5.

There were quite a few people (myself being one) who did not want us taking Turner at the beginning of the season. I think you are overly high on him. I just don't think Turner is a wise pick at 5. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think the Twins should take an upside pick here. Turner doesn't have the upside.

#19 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

Jackson > Kolek > Gordon IMHO.