Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Suzuki: Extend or Trade?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:00 PM

Darren Wolfson reports that there have been no extension talks thus far.

Do the Twins buy high and extend Suzuki for his age 31 and 32 seasons?

Do they sell high in a midseason trade?

Catchers (along with shortstops and starting pitching) are the best trade currency during the season. I hope they don't extend him before the trade deadline. The winter bargain in Suzuki could turn into a prospect that will pay off for several years.

#2 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

I too hope Twins don't extend him until after the trade deadline. If the Twins can swing a good trade, go for it. I wouldn't mind seeing Fryer backing up Pinto for the rest of the season if it brings back a decent prospect.

#3 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

At least Fryer might be able to throw a runner out.

#4 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

No way, you extend him and extend him asap. Are we already talking about being sellers at the deadline? Suzuki is one of the reasons we are a .500 club over 6 weeks into the season. If you want to wait until after the trade deadline to extend him, his price tag is going to go up. I would like the deal Doumit got from the Twins at mid-season a few years ago. Extend Kurt for next year with a 2016 option or maybe 2 years (like Doumit's). We have no other catching options in minors above Low-A.

He has been amazing with the bat and has always been great behind the plate. Pinto is not ready to be the everyday catcher (and may never be ready). Sure Pinto is a beast, but I would not want to be the umpire when he is catching.

For all the grief we like to give the front office, they sure hit 2 home runs with Hughes and Suzuki (probably batting .500 when you throw in Pelf and Nolasco).

#5 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

There is no rational justification for extending Kurt Suzuki. This hitting tear he is on will not last.

#6 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

Ugh. Just enjoy his unsustainable start and hope for a decent prospect at the deadline. Don't ruin it.

#7 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

Way too soon for that. His career minor league OPS is just north of .800, so perhaps he's figured something out so to speak. However, his career major league OPS is south of .700, so I'm perfectly fine with letting him ride this out for an entire season. It can be revisited in the offseason, but with two 'offense minded' catchers, you know that just guarantees Herrmann a permanent spot.

#8 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

-OR- do we just offer him a qualifying offer and take the draft pick at the end of the year?

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:59 PM

There is no rational justification for extending Kurt Suzuki. This hitting tear he is on will not last.

I completely agree with your latter sentence. I rationally disagree with your former sentence. If they can't get a decent prospect in return before the deadline, Suzuki at this point doesn't show his age behind the plate and would make a perfect backup catcher at his career hitting averages- until Turner or someone else proves ready to take that spot. (I'm not ever going to be sold on Hermann, Fryer or anyone else in the upper levels of the minors).

Edited by jokin, 18 May 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

-OR- do we just offer him a qualifying offer and take the draft pick at the end of the year?

@ $14-15M for a QO? Surely you jest.

#11 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

This may be illuminating to your position in this thread.

#12 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

Way too soon for that. His career minor league OPS is just north of .800, so perhaps he's figured something out so to speak.

No, just no.

#13 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

There is no rational justification to getting rid of Suzuki right now unless the Twins can land a good prospect (top 150ish). He started out his career as a very good catcher and if he has merely returned to anything close to 2010/2011 levels then he is a great option as a part time catcher. At a time when the Twins have almost no catching depth at the MLB level or in the upper minors. Getting rid of him opens the door to some truly dreadful options behind the plate with just one injury to Pinto. And that's if you want Pinto behind the plate every day.

#14 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

I think it would be good to think about signing him for a couple more years since the catching options are a little thin. That said, if they can get a top 150 prospect at the deadline, then I would pull the trigger. The Orioles will certainly need a catcher if they remain in the race and so would the Rays

#15 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

The Twins have done a pretty good job when they've dealt catchers. They got the moon for A.J., a warm enough body to swap for Eduardo Nunez for Drew Butera and Sean Gilmartin (who isn't great, but still...) for Ryan Doumit. If the time comes and the Twins can get a guy that casual fans will remember the name of in five years for Kurt Suzuki, you have to... unless he doesn't slow down.

Which in that case, I think 7 years, $184m would be an appropriate extension.

#16 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

It was my impression that Suzuki was picked up to bridge the gap between Mauer and whoever takes his place permanently. Why would the Twins extend him now, because he's had a good month and a half?

#17 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

It was my impression that Suzuki was picked up to bridge the gap between Mauer and whoever takes his place permanently. Why would the Twins extend him now, because he's had a good month and a half?

Because the bridge hasn't been completed yet and he offers cheap insurance in case the bridge still isn't completed until 2016? (And a perfect backup should Pinto accelerate his development behind the plate and go full-time sooner rather than later).

Look, no one expected what he's doing at the plate, but regardless, hitting at his career batting averages, he's cheap insurance and a very valuable commodity behind the plate and in mentoring the younger catchers and pitchers.

#18 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

Because w/o Suzuki the Twins have Pinto and nothing at C for the near future. I cannot understand why people want to make the Twins worse unless there is a really good prospect involved.

Perhaps people think we are talking about a big extension. Suzuki could be extended relatively cheaply (<2/10 for sure). He might even get one guaranteed year and an option year.

#19 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

At least Fryer might be able to throw a runner out.

Wow. Just wow. The guy has exceeded everyone's wildest expectations and you have to pick on the one thing he's struggled with, which he has little control over anyway. Fryer is a decent bench guy in an emergency. That is it.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#20 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

How about not looking to dump him now (it's May, we have over two more months to make the decision to "sell high" if that even still exists then) but if we're grading things on a scale of what's more rational: it's WAY more rational to be talking trade right now than an extension.

There is just zero good reason to be considering that right now.

#21 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

Moderator note -- please keep in mind that rational people can disagree on this issue. Let's make more effort to be respectful of people who we think are wrong.

#22 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

This may be illuminating to your position in this thread.

Sarcasm bone must be broken.

#23 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

How about not looking to dump him now (it's May, we have over two more months to make the decision to "sell high" if that even still exists then) but if we're grading things on a scale of what's more rational: it's WAY more rational to be talking trade right now than an extension.

There is just zero good reason to be considering that right now.

The Twins or Twins Daily?

The thread was prompted by a Darren Wolfson tweet. He must be considering it.

Two years ago the Twins extended Ryan Doumit in June.

#24 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:04 PM

The thread was prompted by a Darren Wolfson tweet. He must be considering it.

Two years ago the Twins extended Ryan Doumit in June.

I think Doogie was responding to a Fanatic Jack tweet, FWIW.

#25 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

There is no need to do either move. Suzuki's value for a contract is not going to go up dramaticallly with a career yeaar. His trade value is not going to be great, either. Oakland did not get much from Washington for him, they gave up even less than that to get him back. The only way he has good value is if a contender loses their catchers to season ending injuries or suspension.

#26 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:33 AM

I like Suzuki. Extending him for a year or two at the same salary wouldn't be terrible. But if you can get a decent prospect, you trade him. Plus, we ultimately want Pinto to be the every day catcher. If Gardy is the manager and Suzuki is on the team, that will never quite happen. You almost have to give him no choice.

#27 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

Sarcasm bone must be broken.

Well played then, when you doubled down on it I thought for sure you were being serious.

No reason to talk extension at all right now. You do that at the end of the season if you still find it prudent. On May 19th? No, that just doesn't make sense.

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

Thing about extending him is that with Catcher, more than any other position, the every day guy is still only catching maybe 100 games over the course of the season, so having a good second tier option is worth it.

With Suzuki, it's still the SSS category to see if he's legit. It means that we won't be getting anything decent at all for him if he was traded right now, and I don't see any good reason to extend him just yet...

If he's figured it out, I'd probably extend him, because besides Garver and maybe Koch (both of whom have a fair amount of question marks), I don't see much in terms of help for Pinto in the near future, and I'm not sure either will be ready by 2016.

#29 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

It is an interesting question, to consider in a month or three......he's probably better than anyone in the minors, and if they are interested in competing next year, it might make sense.
Lighten up Francis....

#30 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

Because w/o Suzuki the Twins have Pinto and nothing at C for the near future. I cannot understand why people want to make the Twins worse unless there is a really good prospect involved.

Perhaps people think we are talking about a big extension. Suzuki could be extended relatively cheaply (<2/10 for sure). He might even get one guaranteed year and an option year.

How did you take what I said and conclude that people want to make the Twins worse? Pinto has a much higher offensive ceiling than Suzuki, and I think it's best if he's playing the majority of the time. If the Twins want to keep Suzuki around to catch 1/3 of the time, fine, but it seems like they'd get much more value out of trading him for a player who has the potential to contribute in a meaningful way for the Twins next year and the year(s) after that. Suzuki has always been an okay catcher, but this offensive outburst is clearly outside his norm, and there's no reason to keep him around based on that.