Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Shortstop Pecking Order

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...p-Pecking-Order

#2 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

Santana has made some moves that show a lack of polish, but none I have seen that are alarming. He's making really good throws, and I haven't seen him botch any grabs or exchanges. It's decision type plays that improve with time. Things like 2 outs, runner on 1rst, slow chopper to short on a hit and run. He has gone to 2 and not gotten the out rather than going to first for an easy end of the inning.

He'll get there. So far his hitting SSS has been good. Man he had wheels.

I'm optimistic got Danny Santana. I think he has a bright future.

#3 highlander

highlander

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

I like Escobar anywhere on the team. Santana's wheels are special, hope his glove and decision making catch up. I still like Florimon, his leather is good for taking away a hit a game. Not into Nunez.

#4 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Nunez is the kind of guy that would make sense back in the 14 position player days as merely a good bat to use to pinch hit and then replace with a defensive infielder. Right now, his ability to play LF is helping him. Santana getting better defensively at short is pretty vital for the future of this team. Of the minor league middle infielders vying for SS, he is the one who seems to be missing only some strictly fielding prowess but has the range and the arm. Beresford has the fielding prowess but is lacking some range and some arm. Polanco has the range but lacks some fielding prowess and some arm. I don't know enough about Aderlin Mejia's defense (and he an adoptee of mine!) to make a similar judgment.

#5 troyhobbs

troyhobbs

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

I like Escobar anywhere on the team. Santana's wheels are special, hope his glove and decision making catch up. I still like Florimon, his leather is good for taking away a hit a game. Not into Nunez.

So you're into Florimon but not Nunez? Anyone who's good enough to play regularly for the Yankees in the Eastern division ought to be able to contribute to the Twins roster. Florimon is a AAAA player, I really hope Gardy can move on but something tells me we haven't seen the last of Florimon.

#6 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

Nunez is the kind of guy that would make sense back in the 14 position player days,

You mean back when teams used to routinely carry three catchers? The good old days! Makes me want to get high on Jolt and Duran Duran. Well, Jolt at least.

#7 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

Well, we can cross Drew off the list of potential people to add to the mix...

http://hardballtalk....th-the-red-sox/

Same deal as the qualifying offer, pro-rated to the remainder of the season.

Agent fail.

Edited by LaBombo, 20 May 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#8 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

You mean back when teams used to routinely carry three catchers? The good old days! Makes me want to get high on Jolt and Duran Duran. Well, Jolt at least.

Nice save.......not buying it though.

#9 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

Nice save.......not buying it though.

Immediately lost interest in them with whatever the album was that came out after Rio.
Posted Image

Number 65 on NME's top 100 albums of all time, which surprised me.

Now if I had really wanted to invite scorn and ridicule for an 80's guilty pleasure, I'd have said Hall and Oates...
Posted Image