Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

So, the Twins are better than they were last season

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

The Twins started off pretty well last season, going 18-17 over their first 35 games. After that point, they rattled off ten straight losses and ended the season miserably.

So, the Twins are now 19-20 after 39 games, which puts them above their 18-21 record at this point last season.

Progress!

#2 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

So far this team has screamed .500
They pitch enough and hit enough to win 81, which is a great step forward.

#3 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

They were respectable all the way into mid-June last year, amazingly. 33-36 on June 20. And that's where the real tumble began. From that point on they went 33-60. We'll see if they can keep it up the whole year this time.

#4 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

They don't pitch enough to win 81, or at least they haven't to this point. I don't think the run production can continue, although they have proven me wrong on this again and again this year. The pitching has to get better... right? I don't imagine Correia can stay in the rotation much longer with his ERA approaching 7. Trevor May continues to impress down in AAA, and Logan Darnell and Kris Johnson (despite his walks his last callup) are all pitching well. Even Alex Meyer, who has struggled of late, could come up and fill a slot in the rotation.

What happens when Pelf's mysterious groin injury is healed?

#5 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

They don't pitch enough to win 81, or at least they haven't to this point. I don't think the run production can continue, although they have proven me wrong on this again and again this year. The pitching has to get better... right? I don't imagine Correia can stay in the rotation much longer with his ERA approaching 7. Trevor May continues to impress down in AAA, and Logan Darnell and Kris Johnson (despite his walks his last callup) are all pitching well. Even Alex Meyer, who has struggled of late, could come up and fill a slot in the rotation.

What happens when Pelf's mysterious groin injury is healed?

The pitching has been better. BB Ref has them with a 3.92 ERA over the last two weeks, not counting today. There will be improvement at Correia's spot, either by him or May/Meyer. This team already shows more fight than last year's crew.

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

They don't pitch enough to win 81, or at least they haven't to this point. I don't think the run production can continue, although they have proven me wrong on this again and again this year. The pitching has to get better... right? I don't imagine Correia can stay in the rotation much longer with his ERA approaching 7. Trevor May continues to impress down in AAA, and Logan Darnell and Kris Johnson (despite his walks his last callup) are all pitching well.

Even Alex Meyer, who has struggled of late, could come up and fill a slot in the rotation.

Hopefully, Meyer comes up sooner rather than later. He pitched 5 innings of no-hit, shutout ball today, with 7 Ks (but 4 BBs).

#7 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

More people are stepping up and performing in different games instead of relying on a few to carry the team. That to me is our biggest improvement yet.

#8 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

Their record is only one game better, but they've played a tough schedule so far without wilting. They also just look better, FWIW- they don't fall apart so easily as last year, when it felt like games were frequently over by the fourth inning.

#9 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

yeah, the record doesn't say it all. This IS a better team, and they have depth in the minors to make some moves at places of weakness too.

#10 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

Today's game, shows they have more will to come back and not wilt, as the last few years.
It is encouraging and didn't require firing Gardy.
We will see if, it continues;)

#11 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,500 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

I always hope for the best -- I just don't count on it.

And I hope the Twins continue to provide pleasant surprises this season.

#12 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

Good game, today!
Watching it on replay.

#13 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:37 AM

It's awesome that they are better than last year, don't get me wrong. Unfortunately, the help we were all hoping for, isn't on the way. (Pitching Yes, Offense No)

Buxton riddled with injuries looks like this year could end up being a lost year, which is really, really depressing.

Sano is guaranteed to have lost a year. He may DH in AA in August, but that seems far-fetched and could've already been a ditched idea, someone else may know. Also, Plouffe has somewhat locked down 3B and looked like a veteran, which is going to make Gardy somewhat hesitant to hand that job over quickly.

Rosario really funked things up for himself. I think we would all agree he could've at the very least had a cup of coffee playing OF in Minnesota already this season. To top things off for him, Dozier has locked down 2B, Polanco has been very good, so good chance Rosario switches back to OF (not a big deal to us in the grand scheme of things, but perhaps Rosario wanted to play IF and he would've had more value there)

On the bright side:

Meyer is ready to roll whenever we let him.
May is ready to roll whenever he gets the call.

I realize this probably belongs on MiLB portion after writing it.

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:41 AM

The discussion is relevant. Yeah, the top three MiLB hitters have been disappointing but in the long run, it might be a good thing for the team. One year back pushes them toward one year of control during a prime season. If they both recover, it should be okay.

On the upside, Vargas is absolutely mashing the ball from both sides of the plate in AA. He's on the 40 man so we'll probably see him some time this season. Rosario should get back up to speed relatively quickly, so we might see him early next season.

Help is on the way, it's just not the name(s) we were expecting to see.

#15 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

^^^Please define "ready to roll" with the two pitchers mentioned. Does it mean they can be called up or does it mean they will be effective? I have serious doubts about the effective part for either of the two just yet especially in the case of May.

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

^^^Please define "ready to roll" with the two pitchers mentioned. Does it mean they can be called up or does it mean they will be effective? I have serious doubts about the effective part for either of the two just yet especially in the case of May.

Right now, I actually have more questions about Meyer. He'll almost certainly be the better pitcher in the long run but he's developing a new pitch. Hard to rely on a rookie at the MLB level who is working on a new offering. My opinion is to leave him down and let him develop that change-up, particularly if it looks like he's making progress with it in Rochester.

#17 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:14 AM

Right now, I actually have more questions about Meyer. He'll almost certainly be the better pitcher in the long run but he's developing a new pitch. Hard to rely on a rookie at the MLB level who is working on a new offering. My opinion is to leave him down and let him develop that change-up, particularly if it looks like he's making progress with it in Rochester.

Yeah I definitely think that Meyer needs more time to continue to refine/develop his change-up. It is better to let him develop at further at Rochester. I do think that we will see him up with the Twins at some point this year, unless his innings limit interferes with this. He had 5 innings of no hit ball yesterday but was wild (4BB) so he clearly is still working.