Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/13): Berrios Baffles

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:06 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...Berrios-Baffles

#2 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for the report. Nice to see the very good starts from Berrios and May. I have to admit that I've been skeptical of Vargas' prospect status, but am very encouraged by what he has done in AA so far.
It seems to me that May is going to be a very inconsistent starter, with some pretty ugly starts and some pretty dominant starts. I'm wondering how Twins management feels about that. It has been suggested that his best fit might be in the bullpen, but I think he has much more value as a starter. Even if his starts are frustratingly inconsistent, he can still provide a lot of innings over the course of a season and has ace-like upside for any given start.

#3 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

The back to back doubleheaders are not the worst of it for the Kernels. Two more players left game 1 with injuries (Vielma hamstring, Kanzler concussion) leaving Jake Mauer with just one bench player for the rest of the night. That makes 9 players who have been on the DL already, including 7 currently on the list.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#4 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

1 bench player? That should get the minor leaguers used to what they'll face in MN I guess! Nine guys that have seen the DL, ugh. That's just bad luck, up and down the system.
Lighten up Francis....

#5 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:42 AM

1 bench player? That should get the minor leaguers used to what they'll face in MN I guess! Nine guys that have seen the DL, ugh. That's just bad luck, up and down the system.

Yeah it really is dumb bad luck. A lot of fluke injuries. Last night, Vielma twisted weird coming out of the batters box and pulled a hammy. Kanzler's head collided with Vavra's foot on a fly ball they were both going for (and Vavra held on to).

And yeah, you can't rule out the Kernels using some infielders in the outfield, which is very Twins-like these days, isn't it?

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#6 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

As far as May goes I guess I would rather have an inconsistent starter than an inconsistent reliever.

#7 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

Two really good starts, one bad start....I'd take that ratio every day from a starter.
Lighten up Francis....

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

I've always been skeptical of Berrios because of his size and feared he wouldn't continue to dominate as he faced tougher competition.

I'm very happy to be wrong thus far.

#9 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:45 AM

This is for Wednesday's probably starters...not Sunday...correct(?). Sorry to ask, Parker's article mentions Bartlett, released long ago, so woke up in a time-warm thinking it was May 14th, but reading things that may be think March 27th.

#10 bear333

bear333

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the report. Nice to see the very good starts from Berrios and May. I have to admit that I've been skeptical of Vargas' prospect status, but am very encouraged by what he has done in AA so far.
It seems to me that May is going to be a very inconsistent starter, with some pretty ugly starts and some pretty dominant starts. I'm wondering how Twins management feels about that. It has been suggested that his best fit might be in the bullpen, but I think he has much more value as a starter. Even if his starts are frustratingly inconsistent, he can still provide a lot of innings over the course of a season and has ace-like upside for any given start.

Thankfully, the Twins acquired Hughes and Nolasco this year, allowing them to be patient with their starting pitching prospects. Unlike last year, where they would call up any body that might work. This could bode well for pitchers like Mays, who won't be rushed now.

#11 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

I've always been skeptical of Berrios because of his size and feared he wouldn't continue to dominate as he faced tougher competition.

I'm very happy to be wrong thus far.

Berrios looked bigger this spring than last to me. Looks like he's still growing. Good to see some success from him this year.

#12 Wyorev

Wyorev

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:08 PM

Two really good starts, one bad start....I'd take that ratio every day from a starter.

I think I would take that ratio two out of three days. :)

#13 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

Rosario has only 14 games left of his suspension!
I would hope he is down in EST getting in game shape