Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Best place to sit at Target Field with a young child?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

I have been to a few games at Target Field but now it is time to take my son. He is 3 and very interested in baseball. I was wondering what others opinions were on where to sit. I was kind of thinking sections 1-3 or 14-16. I think sitting close would keep his attention and the hopes of getting a ball might really spark a love for the game that I have. I would love to hear your opinions.

#2 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

I'd be nervous sitting in those seats with a little one. You have to really be paying attention the whole time.

I've taken my young daughters to games in several parts of the park and my favorite (other than the Champions Club, which obviously was pretty nice), my favorite was Skyline Deck (Sections S-U). The value is good and you get a good view of the whole field.

Section S being the closest to home plate, that's what I would target, as your chances of getting a foul ball have to be significantly better in that section compared to section U or V

Besides the nervousness of the sections you mentioned, being so low to the field it can be a little difficult for little ones to track what's going on across the field.

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

my favorite was Skyline Deck (Sections S-U). The value is good and you get a good view of the whole field.

If the kiddo is an active one, I would really stay away from that and the Legends Club. Or any front rows on a higher deck with a potential drop.

I think that low and close and behind the net might be the best idea. But $$$$
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 zwiefz

zwiefz

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

I'm looking at a similar question-planning to take my son to his first game(at least his first game out of a baby carrier) later this summer.

My thoughts at this point are to get the cheapest seats possible. No matter how much he likes baseball I don't seem him sitting still for the entire game. My dad and I usually spend about half the game in our seats and the second half wandering the concourse and stopping wherever we can find room every inning-so another benefit for a small child is to see the game from different points of view.

I wouldn't want to spend a ton of money on a seat we might not end up spending much time in. Plus, the people sitting around you may not always find the behavior/questions of young children as endearing as you do :) The cheap seats would give you a little more space since they haven't been filled in a few years and less chance of ending up by some grouchy old man.

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:22 PM

I liked dugout box with my 2 year old. We were in the section right above the visiting dugout (Royals) and they tossed a lot of baseballs up between innings, at least to the first couple rows (for slightly older kids, mainly). Close enough where the kid could actually see and identify Mauer, the ball, bats and gloves, etc. There was also some open space to walk around in the back of the section, and the third base lounge (with private restrooms), without dealing with the crazy concourses. It also seemed a lot quieter than other parts of the park (no speakers overhead). I scored tickets at about $30 each for a good weather April Friday night game (using the Ticket King discount code).

We were with a small group, though, so the kid had a lot of welcome distractions. If it was just me and the kid, I would probably go cheap, try to meet TC Bear, and hope she takes a nap on me so I can finish the game!

#6 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

I should add the game we attended, the dugout box had a lot of families and older kids who were happy to interact with little kids too. Since it was early season, and against the Royals, there were also some more open seats than usual, I am guessing.

#7 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for your comments! I will take these into consideration. Has anyone rode the train from MOA to Target Field? How long does it take? How early before game time should we go? It will be a Friday evening game.

#8 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:21 AM

The train from MOA to Target Field should be given about a 50 minute window. Source: I live by the Target Field station and the airport generally takes about 40.

#9 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

As I understand, taking the light rail to Target Field is pretty easy, particularly if you board early (like at MOA).

It's the return trip that is problematic -- while people going to Target Field board at a variety of times and stations, everyone leaving the stadium after the game is basically trying to board at the exact same time and place. I have seen some pretty long lines by the train platform when leaving the stadium.

If you plan to leave a little early with the kid anyway, you should be all right, though. And at that age, the train might be the highlight of the trip!

#10 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

Just take a crap load of treats and candy and it won't matter where you sit. I've sat in DB, LC, and 3rd level with my daughter since she was a baby and she loves going, but being close is meaningless to her. If you have to take the kid to the bathroom, I'd rather go into LC if I had to choose.

#11 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:10 PM

If your kid is interested in the game, I might suggest a higher seat. I thought my young kids had trouble following from the lower seats - it's hard to see where the ball is hit sometimes. The higher seats, even 3rd level, provide a nice overview of the game.

But for kids that young, I have to say, I think the key is the experience. I wouldn't try to get them into the game. They just want to hang out with you and do fun stuff. Treat them to a Twins item from the store, buy them a pop, hang out with them, and if something good happens in the game, cheer with them. Maybe play Twingo, pick them up a free program to look at, stuff like that. And when it gets old, leave.

That's another good reason to buy cheap seats - it leaves you more money to buy them the stuff they care about.

#12 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

As I understand, taking the light rail to Target Field is pretty easy, particularly if you board early (like at MOA).

It's the return trip that is problematic -- while people going to Target Field board at a variety of times and stations, everyone leaving the stadium after the game is basically trying to board at the exact same time and place. I have seen some pretty long lines by the train platform when leaving the stadium.

If you plan to leave a little early with the kid anyway, you should be all right, though. And at that age, the train might be the highlight of the trip!

This is correct, but getting out can be a real chore with little ones. If you can sit in your seat awhile longer and relax there, it's probably the way to go. Otherwise you're packed in like sardines from the moment you leave the stadium until you get to your destination.

For couples or single people it's no bother to head out right away, but I would suggest patience if you have some little ones.