Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Twins Option Florimon, Herrmann

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,275 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

Following Thursday's afternoon game in Cleveland, the Minnesota Twins optioned SS Pedro Florimon and OF/C Chris Herrmann... other roster adds coming.

#2 Jaykay

Jaykay

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hooray!

#3 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

Fryer?

#4 Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

Fryer?

My guess a couple more relief pitchers--- can never have too much pitching.

#5 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

. . . and there was much rejoicing in Twins Territory!

At least, until we find out who is replacing them . . .

#6 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

The smart guess has to be Hicks and Arcia......but brass has been known to surprise us!

#7 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:17 PM

New market inefficiency....25 man roster with 25 pitchers. Everyone can pitch, everyone can play anywhere!! Roster flexibility baby!!

#8 teekz

teekz

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

Who's ready for Kenny Wilson?

#9 zwiefz

zwiefz

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

Official roster lists 1 outfielder(Kubel) and three shortstops(Escobar, Santana, Nunez).

That has to be some sort of a record.

All from the team that supposedly had such a surplus of outfielders over the past few years.

#10 matthew0211

matthew0211

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

While today's moves with Florimon and Herrmann make a ton of sense, that still leaves 13 pitchers on the roster barring any more demotions. Five relivers were used today to get 11 outs. I think it was mentioned on another thread, but isn't there anyone in the organization that can show Gardy these numbers and make him realize he's using his bullpen inefficiently, and at the cost of a competent bat at the end of his bench?

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

While today's moves with Florimon and Herrmann make a ton of sense, that still leaves 13 pitchers on the roster barring any more demotions. Five relivers were used today to get 11 outs. I think it was mentioned on another thread, but isn't there anyone in the organization that can show Gardy these numbers and make him realize he's using his bullpen inefficiently, and at the cost of a competent bat at the end of his bench?

Or a competent bat at the front of the bench.

#12 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,498 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

Just a little humor:

#13 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

I wonder if Danny Santana's last couple of games were enough to keep him on the roster and cost Florimon his spot? Earlier in the week it seemed like a forgone conclusion that Santana was gone once the team needed to make a move.

I'm glad Santana is still here - he's a blast to watch - that kid is FAST!

#14 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

Just a little humor:

I think what Florimon meant to says was that he was surprised it took them this long into the season to make the move.

#15 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Locationsouthern Iowa

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

Just a little humor:

Maybe he hasn't seen his offensive numbers
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#16 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Locationsouthern Iowa

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

Does someone have to be put on the AAA roster in place of Raley?
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#17 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

So they lost Brooks Raley in the Guerrier deal. Easy come, easy go, I guess.

Hicks is expected to take one of two spots. Nunez is already here, with Fuld going on the 7-day concussion DL. The other guy is probably Arcia, if his sore wrist is better in the morning.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#18 Cris E

Cris E

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

What if Arcia is still not ready? Parmalee?

#19 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

I wonder if Danny Santana's last couple of games were enough to keep him on the roster and cost Florimon his spot?

That's a tough one to answer because Nunez came up. However, I do think Santana's play had something to do with it because he's been dynamite since his call up. You cant send someone down who's playing the way he is.

I really like Santana's skill set. He hits the ball hard, runs incredibly fast, and has a strong arm at SS. As long as he maintains decent numbers at the plate and is fairly reliable defensively, he could be a huge asset for this team.

#20 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

Too bad it's not an inter-league road series. They could have gone with 17/8 instead of 16/9.

#21 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

No Arcia in the 'Wings line-up tonight. Motown bound?

#22 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

Just a little humor:

Really? You've been benched, there are two other SS on the roster, and you have terrible numbers and you're surprised about being demoted?

#23 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

I wonder if Danny Santana's last couple of games were enough to keep him on the roster and cost Florimon his spot? Earlier in the week it seemed like a forgone conclusion that Santana was gone once the team needed to make a move.

I'm glad Santana is still here - he's a blast to watch - that kid is FAST!

I think it was more Escobar's competence and Nunez's health. Santana will get to play a lot until the bench comes back together, but he'll be sent down to AAA for more seasoning. He's too valuable to the future to risk, and not yet ready for the bigs, despite SSS good hitting and fielding.

i too am glad he's still up. I hope he can continue to make his case that the future begins now, and he IS ready.

#24 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

Anyone wish to revisit their vigorous defense of not signing a SS this past winter?

#25 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Locationsouthern Iowa

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

I think it was more Escobar's competence and Nunez's health. Santana will get to play a lot until the bench comes back together, but he'll be sent down to AAA for more seasoning. He's too valuable to the future to risk, and not yet ready for the bigs, despite SSS good hitting and fielding.

i too am glad he's still up. I hope he can continue to make his case that the future begins now, and he IS ready.

In the parts of the game I watched today, he doesn't look like he is ready defensively. However, he has some exciting tools and I enjoy watching him.

#26 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,482 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

Anyone wish to revisit their vigorous defense of not signing a SS this past winter?

Shortstop is fine. They have five of them on the roster.

Six if you count Guerrier.

#27 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

Shortstop is fine. They have five of them on the roster.

Six if you count Guerrier.

I heard that he was taking grounders at short. Oh, and he's also an outfielder, too. He played it in high school.

Please tell me you knew I was kidding.

#28 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

I wasn't vigorous about it, but I"ll say that I continue to be happy that Drew or whoever the other option was aren't part of the Twins.

#29 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Does someone have to be put on the AAA roster in place of Raley?

And Guerrier. They have 22 active players on their roster (with Arcia not counting and Kevin Thomas on the DL.) Florimon and Herrmann will take care of those 2 spots and if Arcia and Hicks take their positions, it all evens out to 24 in Rochester as well...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#30 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

I wasn't vigorous about it, but I"ll say that I continue to be happy that Drew or whoever the other option was aren't part of the Twins.

[IMG]http://imagecache.w00t.com/?url=http://www.careerealism.com/home/jtodonnell/careerealism.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/interviewing-jerry-maguire.jpg[/IMG]
Honesty...