Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Draft

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Fatt Crapps

Fatt Crapps

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

Who are they taking? Are they trading down? Which QB's do you like?

#2 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

Aaron Donald would be the best choice, IMO. He'll be there most likely at their pick, and he would be huge in replacing Kevin Williams down the line. He's being talked about as one of the three or four "can't miss" prospects in the draft, but the need at other positions is higher than DT for teams ahead of the Vikings. QBs are falling currently, so there will be a good selection later in the draft, I believe.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#3 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

I would love a trade back personally. I hope Mike Evans is in our slot and someone like SF is drooling over him.

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

I'm not terribly excited about using #8 on any of the QBs.... There's a lot of talk of the possiblity of Kahlil Mack sliding down to #8, not because of lack of talent but b/c there's great match ups for other teams at other positions of need. I kind of hope he does and we grab him, giving how desparately we need help at LB.

#5 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,848 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

As I'm reading about the Vikings needs... It occurs to me... They have a lot of needs.

I figured there was no way they pass on a QB... Maybe they should...

It looks like they will be drafting real high in 2015 with all those needs.

#6 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

Anthony Barr is a good player, but not exactly who I wanted.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#7 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:20 PM

I would've liked to see them move back some more but if Zimmer thinks he can mold this guy into a player, I'll go with it.

#8 Fatt Crapps

Fatt Crapps

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

Queens are making moves.

#9 Fatt Crapps

Fatt Crapps

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:46 PM

Like a Bridge over Teddy's Water.

#10 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

Now that was exciting. Would have preferred Donald and Bridgewater if I was picking, but they see something they can mold in Barr, who will be a project 1st rounder. Love the Bridgewater pick, though.

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:19 AM

Bridgewater scares me, but he scared me more at 8 than at 32. I like the moves for them. They needed help badly at LB and picked up arguably the 2nd best LB in the draft. I'm not complaining. That, and to Spielman's credit, he's done a good job in the draft.

#12 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

I like Bridgewater. I think there was too much overreaction to one bad day.

This is a guy who ran a pro offense, completed passes at a pro rate, read defenses and called audibles like a pro, and has pocket presence and awareness. Sign me up - I'm very excited about our first day results.

Now go get another linebacker and a DB today!

#13 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,803 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

I'm cool with Barr but Bridgewater does nothing for me. As badly as we need to solve the QB situation, this was not the draft to do it IMO.

#14 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

Bridgewater went from being the consensus #1 (or #2 if you liked Clowney) for the 2nd half of the football season and early into the "drafting season" all the way to the end of the first round because of his pro day.... and because his hands are apparently small-which is BS and pointless IMO (1/8th smaller then golden boy Bortles, and 1/8th bigger then Kaerpernick) I think the Vikings got an absolute STEAL in him. The guy played in a pro style offense in Louisville, went 31/4 and completed a good % of his passes. The fact that they worked him out privately 3 different times and worked well with Norv are all very positive signs.

Barr is interesting, if it was anyone but Zimmer who made that pick I would be concerned, but I think the upside is huge.

There is a very good chance that in 4 years we look back and say not only did the Vikings get the best QB in the draft, but also the 2nd best defensive player in the draft.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#15 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

I hope you are right Dave. I'd love for this to be another Aaron Rogers situation. Let Cassel man things for the season and transition Bridgewater in for 2015.

#16 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:33 PM

I'm cool with Barr but Bridgewater does nothing for me. As badly as we need to solve the QB situation, this was not the draft to do it IMO.

Bridgewater at #32 is very exciting.

#17 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:15 PM

Taking a guy that might be a starting QB in basically round two is a good gamble. Not sold on Barr.
Lighten up Francis....

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

There are some real nice guards, linebackers, and corners left for us to pick from here soon.

#19 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

Taking a guy that might be a starting QB in basically round two is a good gamble. Not sold on Barr.

I consider Barr to be one of those upside picks (Pro Bowler) that comes with significant downside. He's a physical freak and highly disruptive behind the line of scrimmage but can he actually play linebacker.

#20 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:52 PM

I consider Barr to be one of those upside picks (Pro Bowler) that comes with significant downside. He's a physical freak and highly disruptive behind the line of scrimmage but can he actually play linebacker.

That is where the trust in Zimmer comes in for me IMHO. The fact he basically switched from RB to LB and di pretty damn well is a nice sign to me. Clearly they knew who they wanted and they went and got him, gotta love the upside, reminds me of Patterson a bit who also was knocked for being "raw".

#21 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

I hope you are right Dave. I'd love for this to be another Aaron Rogers situation. Let Cassel man things for the season and transition Bridgewater in for 2015.

Bridgewater is actually probably pretty close to NFL ready (especially when compared to some of the other QB's) while I think you roll with Cassel in week one, I wouldn't be shocked (nor upset) if Bridgewater is the starter around week 6 or so for the rest of the 2014 season. Right or wrong, the days of letting a QB sit on the bench for a year+ is probably behind us.

Any thoughts on that RB they got in round 3? Don't know much about him but apparently he might play CB if RB doesn't work out?

#22 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:18 AM

Bridgewater is actually probably pretty close to NFL ready (especially when compared to some of the other QB's) while I think you roll with Cassel in week one, I wouldn't be shocked (nor upset) if Bridgewater is the starter around week 6 or so for the rest of the 2014 season. Right or wrong, the days of letting a QB sit on the bench for a year+ is probably behind us.

Any thoughts on that RB they got in round 3? Don't know much about him but apparently he might play CB if RB doesn't work out?

I've heard he went to Georgia Southern over D1 offers because he wanted to stay at running back. That's about as much info as I have for him.

#23 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:09 AM

The ESPN crew liked him a lot. He ran one of the fastest 40's for a RB and they mentioned that he might get some snaps as a WR while definitely being an option as a KR/PR guy. In addition to likely replacing Gerhart.

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:03 AM

The ESPN crew liked him a lot. He ran one of the fastest 40's for a RB and they mentioned that he might get some snaps as a WR while definitely being an option as a KR/PR guy. In addition to likely replacing Gerhart.

From what I've heard the guy was the biggest freak of the combine. 32 bench presses at 225, ridiculous agility and speed, explosiveness. Basically a multipurpose weapon with crazy ability. Likely the third down back as well because they say his pass blocking is solid too.

#25 Fatt Crapps

Fatt Crapps

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

Vikings are up with their 6th round pick. Michael Sam is still on the board...

Nevermind, they took a CB.

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

Sam really wasn't much of a pro prospect. Vikes came away with some interesting choices. I love the Yankey pick.

#27 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

It's pretty clear that the Vikings went after athleticism, upside and players that were dropping. It almost looks like they weren't drafting for this year but trying to find long term valuable players in the mid rds rather than filling holes. A lot of interesting players until they grabbed some special team guys in the 7th.

#28 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:49 PM

The first DB they took is very interesting. Exum has a lot of intriguing upside.

#29 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:40 AM

Overall I feel we had a solid draft. Bridgewater will be the X factor. If he becomes a stud it will be the steal of the draft.
I bent my wookie...

#30 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:49 AM

1. Barr.....high risk, high reward. If all he is is a pass rusher....I would have preferred Donald or Dennard.

2. Teddy....great risk to take. A good QB prospect in exchange for a 2nd and 4th round pick.
3. Chrichton ..... Zimmer loves to rotate DL (which is why I liked Donald), and it's not like Robison is young
4. RB....well, I would have preferred a DB/LB there. In an ideal world, this guy plays 10-15 snaps a game. that said, I can see him at KR, letting Patterson stay healthy for WR duties. On the draft board I hang out on, they love him as a Sproles clone.
5. The rest.....
Love the OG pick. Johnson is the weak link. Hopefully Yankey or Baca beat him out. Exum was highly thought of before the injury. Nice upside pick for a S. They basically threw darts in round 6/7, at DB, hoping one of them will stick, imo. I guess that's an ok strategy, but I'd rather have more early picks than more later picks.

overall, if Barr works, this could be a defining draft (assuming Teddy works, which I am). I like what they did at DE/QB/OG. I don't love this draft as much as I did last year's at this time, but if Teddy is a top 10 QB, everything else is gravy.
Lighten up Francis....