Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Roster Shuffle: Twins Add Guerrier, What's Next?

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ier-What-s-Next

#2 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:38 PM

Brooks Raley gets dropped off 40 man
Nunez comes up for Floriman
Arcia comes up for Hermann
Hicks comes up for Santana

#3 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:19 PM

I don't understand the logic of keeping Guerrier. He's been awful at Rochester, though it's been limited action.

But I don't seem him as offering any sort of difference maker to the team. Jared Burton 2.0?

I liked Darnell. He's a lefty and could offer something that could be better. Guerrier is 35/36 and getting older every minute. Maybe he's trade-able to a contender sooner than later? Even so, for what?

I guess after he blows 3 games we can release him in a few weeks.

Or best case scenario...(??)

#4 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:50 PM

The Twins have an embarrassment of bullpen and swingman/5th starters who could be traded for something. Oakland has no other starters available in case of injury as they have already lost 2 starters. We could trade Corriea, and a reliever, and a prospect of some degree 25th - 50th type of ranking in the system for Lowrie when both Oaklands SS prospect and Meyer are set to come up and make a go of it. We could also include Parmelee or Willingham instead and get a prospect back too.

#5 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:52 PM

Chris Herrmann – He is an athletic catcher, but his value to the Minnesota Twins this past month has been allowing Ron Gardenhire to play as the Designated Hitter most days

Ron Gardenhire is our most dangerous hitter. Its a good thing that he is allowed to DH.....(Pinto) was the intended DH.

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:59 PM

He even hit 95 mph on the radar gun once or twice.

I was impressed by Darnell's first appearance, as well. But it's been pretty well-established that the gun in Cleveland is running 2-3MPH hot this week, ie, the Twins broadcasters strongly challenged the notion that Salazar supposedly hit 100MPH on the gun last night.

#7 kblack1011

kblack1011

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:37 AM

For a team that is suppose to be rebuilding for the future, we seem to be in love with 30+ players. This organization has no idea of what direction they are going in. It's hard to find a reason to watch this team.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:38 AM

Ron Gardenhire is our most dangerous hitter. Its a good thing that he is allowed to DH.....(Pinto) was the intended DH.

Yikes!!! This sentence will be corrected. HA!

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:41 AM

Logan Darnell should be starting (as in beginning games) in AAA right now. Matt Guerrier has been a very solid big league contributor for 10 years. Let's think about the track record instead of his most recent outing in Rochester. If he's healthy, he should be alright. Darnell will be back. May and Meyer, they'll come up later. This is kind of a no-brainer move for the Twins. Sure, he could be the second coming of Mike Trombley's comeback, or he could be a solid 6th and 7th inning guy. I don't mind this at all.

#10 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:11 AM

Logan Darnell should be starting (as in beginning games) in AAA right now. Matt Guerrier has been a very solid big league contributor for 10 years. Let's think about the track record instead of his most recent outing in Rochester. If he's healthy, he should be alright. Darnell will be back. May and Meyer, they'll come up later. This is kind of a no-brainer move for the Twins. Sure, he could be the second coming of Mike Trombley's comeback, or he could be a solid 6th and 7th inning guy. I don't mind this at all.

Well, you and I may be the only people here who think this.
Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day.

#11 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,811 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

In ST, he did not look like the old Guerrier.

Is his elbow still bugging him? How was his velocity in Rochester?

#12 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:53 AM

RANT WARNING:

After last night's game, how can the Twins even consider getting Guerrier up to the show the most important roster move right now???

I'll go out on a limb here and say Guerrier will put up worse numbers than Burton who I also want canned. Gardy said "He has really worked hard to get back here." Who gives a damn? A lot of other players are working really hard too. Why don't we call them all up? Cut the fat from the damn roster already. We don't need 4 catchers on our 40 man roster. We don't need AAAA pitchers and we don't need AAAA UTL guys. Someone go take a look at our active roster. It lists 2, TWO! outfielders.

Moves that need to be made:
Drop Raley from 40 man.
Drop Guerrier from 40 man.
Add Parmelee to 40 man and 25 man.
Drop Fryer from 40 man.
Option Florimon to AAA.
Let Santana start for a couple weeks as regular SS, if he stinks, send him down, Nunez should be ready by then.
Hicks needs to be ready by tomorrow. Call him up for Florimon.

Obviously those 40 man spots can be filled by the guys in them until a time comes. No reason Mastro should've been taken off instead of one of those guys though. Pretty disappointing to watch a front office struggle with the simplest of moves.

#13 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

I don't mind it in a vacuum. But in the context of the circus that is Twins Roster Construction 2014 Edition, this looks insane. In nearly every game this year, the Twins have had infielders or catchers playing outfield. This has cost them several games. They did nothing to address that issue. Shuffling relievers is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

It all started when they DFAd Presley to make room for Bartlett. Not that Alex Presley is any great shakes, but he is a competent outfielder. Bartlett had never played outfield in professional baseball outside of spring training. And he was horrible at it in spring training. But Gardy had this notion that he's a super utility guy based on 30 innings of outfield play in spring training. Nuts.

Anyway, it's amazing the ripple effects one bad roster decision has on a team. They had a chance to make good on it by bringing up Mastro and adding him to the 40 man. But inexplicably, they DFAd him (instead of someone else) to make room for Sam Fuld. That led to several games with Hermann in the outfield, and last night's game, where they had a guy who had very little experience playing left field.

All this makes me extremely wary about whom they will DFA to make room for a guy that might be OK this year and will not have a spot on the team afterwards. And he might be horrible, if his recent AAA outings are any indicator. I hope it is not an outfielder, but given the way Antony has managed this roster, I wouldn't be surprised.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#14 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

I don't have a problem with Guerrier on the ML roster - except that he's one of 13 pitchers. The Twins have no bench flexibility, but more importantly, they don't even have a healthy starter for all 9 positions. Only 2 active outfielders at the moment, so hopefully that move is coming soon.

#15 jmlease1

jmlease1

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

I don't mind it in a vacuum. But in the context of the circus that is Twins Roster Construction 2014 Edition, this looks insane. In nearly every game this year, the Twins have had infielders or catchers playing outfield. This has cost them several games. They did nothing to address that issue. Shuffling relievers is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

It all started when they DFAd Presley to make room for Bartlett. Not that Alex Presley is any great shakes, but he is a competent outfielder. Bartlett had never played outfield in professional baseball outside of spring training. And he was horrible at it in spring training. But Gardy had this notion that he's a super utility guy based on 30 innings of outfield play in spring training. Nuts.

Anyway, it's amazing the ripple effects one bad roster decision has on a team. They had a chance to make good on it by bringing up Mastro and adding him to the 40 man. But inexplicably, they DFAd him (instead of someone else) to make room for Sam Fuld. That led to several games with Hermann in the outfield, and last night's game, where they had a guy who had very little experience playing left field.

All this makes me extremely wary about whom they will DFA to make room for a guy that might be OK this year and will not have a spot on the team afterwards. And he might be horrible, if his recent AAA outings are any indicator. I hope it is not an outfielder, but given the way Antony has managed this roster, I wouldn't be surprised.

This. There's enough filler on the 40-man to find room for Guerrier, but the Twins are carrying too many pitchers on the 25-man right now, having an embarrassingly thin bench, and an imbalanced roster.

Does Florimon have options left? If so, I'm going to nominate him as a guy who needs to be sent down to work on his hitting. He's beyond awful right now and basically unplayable. Moreover, you just can't carry him on a roster with this light of a bench! Let Escobar start and take a look at Santana or Nunez for a while as the backup.

Herrmann is a security blanket for the manager right now, not a MLB player. He and Florimon simply can't hit and the defensive ability of Florimon and positional flexibility of Herrmann just isn't enough to keep them on the active roster.

Frankly, I'd rather see Parmelee added back to the 40-man so we can have an OF bench bat who has at least a theoretical chance to be a legit hitter than worry about Guerrier.

The Twins have done a terrible job at managing their 25-and 40-man rosters this season. A little of this is injury-based, to be sure...but a lot of it is self-inflicted, starting with the Bartlett debacle.

#16 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

People actually typed that bringing up a 35 year old RP, when the team already has too many RP and not enough OF, is a good idea. On a team that is rebuilding. On a team that claims it wants to promote and reward minor leaguers. Wow.
Lighten up Francis....

#17 LewFordLives

LewFordLives

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

I don't think the issue is Guerrier's past accomplishments or what he still has left in the tank. The issue is does he bring any real value added to this team now or in the future? I think the answer is no. The bullpen has been solid and they shouldn't waste a roster move on an aging relief pitcher when they are in desperate need of a bench. This is a no-brainer move.....they should have let Guerrier walk....

#18 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:26 AM

"Chris Herrmann – He is an athletic catcher, but his value to the Minnesota Twins this past month has been allowing Ron Gardenhire to play Josmil Pinto as the designated hitter most days. Herrmann can catch, but when he has played, it has been in the corner outfield spots."

I wonder if anyone has ever pointed this out to Gardy? "Hey...you're wasting a roster spot on a third catcher. How do we know you're wasting that roster spot? You haven't played him at catcher."

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,456 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:26 AM

In all honesty, the move for Guerrier doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that the team needs more position players right now.

I wouldn't have an issue with this if they even swapped Florimon for Nunez with the promise that more moves were on the way. I'm not hard to please but with the offense in the shape it's in right now, the Twins badly need bats.

Or move Herrmann for Arcia. Just do something to patch up the offense.

#20 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,332 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

How long will this front office get a (mostly) free pass on its terrible roster management the last couple years??

#21 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

As for Guerrier, it seems to me it's another example of the Twins perhaps making promises to aging free agents over the winter that they shouldn't have made, and shouldn't feel compelled to honor (see Bartlett, Jason for another example).

It's also another example of poor roster management that has been a recurring issue. A major league team shouldn't be playing for this long with this bad of a bench.

#22 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

How long will this front office get a (mostly) free pass on its terrible roster management the last couple years??

From the press and some people? Forever is my guess. Luckily for the Twins, tonight is the NFL draft, so almost no one is paying attn to this.
Lighten up Francis....

#23 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:40 AM

This is the next callup...

Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day.

#24 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:48 AM

From the press and some people? Forever is my guess. Luckily for the Twins, tonight is the NFL draft, so almost no one is paying attn to this.

Fire Rob Antony. There, I said it.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,456 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

Fire Rob Antony. There, I said it.

Ugh. We don't even know for sure that this was his decision.

Besides, even if it was his decision, everyone is going to make stupid mistakes at a new job.

If he's still making these kinds of moves next year (provided he's the one who made the move at all), then you talk about moving on because he's obviously not capable at the position.

If people on this forum managed large numbers of people the way they suggest the Twins manage their operation, they'd have no workers left because they would have fired everybody for trivial offenses.

#26 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

I'm not sure having 2 OF on your roster is "trivial". I would never have hired Antony in the first place to be GM, given what I know from the outside.

But I wasn't talking about guys like cmat or me when I said "some people" would give them a pass forever.....
Lighten up Francis....

#27 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:56 AM

I think other posters probably said it better, but Guerrier and Darnell aren't really the issue. It's the 13 pitchers, the lack of outfielders, the lack of a bench.

Wouldn't really be an issue if it was truly a short-term thing, but this has been an issue since the first week of the season (if not earlier), nothing has been done to fix it, and we've already seen it cost us a few games.

Also wouldn't be an issue if the pitchers offered a lot of upside, but that does not appear to be the case.

#28 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

People actually typed that bringing up a 35 year old RP, when the team already has too many RP and not enough OF, is a good idea. On a team that is rebuilding. On a team that claims it wants to promote and reward minor leaguers. Wow.

Shouldn't people be allowed to have opinions different than yours?

#29 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,456 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

I'm not sure having 2 OF on your roster is "trivial". I would never have hired Antony in the first place to be GM, given what I know from the outside.

In the grand scheme of things, it's trivial. It's a "mistake" that can be reversed today if need be. This isn't a Capps/Ramos situation that cannot be undone.

I don't like the move one bit but calling for a guy's head over it is absurd.

#30 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,332 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

Trivial it would be if it only happened once. But this kind of mismanagement has been going on for a couple years.
This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.