Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ Indians, 5/5 @ 6:05pm CT

• Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:18 PM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing in from center field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature near 50.

Twins:
SP, Gibson

Dozier 2B
Fuld CF
Plouffe 3B
Colabello 1B
Kubel LF
Suzuki C
Pinto DH
Herrmann RF
Florimon SS

Indians:
SP, McAllister

Morgan CF
Swisher 1B
Brantley LF
Santana 3B
Chisenhall DH
Cabrera SS
Gomes C
Murphy RF
Aviles 2B

-----------------------------
Tag, Brian ... you're it! :)
--------------------------------

OK... But here's what I'm going to do... I bringing some books and snacks... and I'm going to hide. Wait patiently... You won't know where I am... You'll forget all about me. And SURPRISE!!! Tag you're it. I win a lot of games that way... I simply keep playing for a year or two after others stop playing. I was losing a basketball game once 21 to 14... After my opponent left the court thinking he won... I put in about 10 shots in a row and left declaring myself the winner... 24 to 21.
---------------------------------------

Things to think about:

1. Cleveland -- The Twins travel to the mistake by the lake. Cleveland has been called the mistake by the lake. It got a bad rap for numerous reasons but the fact that Cuyahoga River would catch fire didn't help. I actually like Cleveland... I went to Cleveland for my honeymoon and the people of Cleveland were wonderful and we had a great time. For clarification... I tell people that we honeymooned in Cleveland because I like saying that as opposed to... we stayed in Cleveland on our way to Niagara Falls. I like to be a little different.

2. Kyle Gibson -- He started out real nice and has been stumbling a little since. That's the way the ball bounces... I still have a good feeling about Kyle and I hope the ball bounces his way tonight.

3. The Rubber Band -- The Rubber Band theory is still in play... If the Twins win tonight... It will be back at .500 ball. Keep that rubber band bound until July and that we will see what happens when it snaps.

4. The Indians -- Lonnie Chisenhall is the only guy on the team who is tearing it up and he can't seem to stay in the lineup. The rest of the Indians are below expectation with the exception of maybe Brantley. The Starting pitching hasn't been lights out... Cory Kluber has been the top dog in the rotation. The Twins have a 2 game lead currently on the last place Indians.

5. IPO's -- I dabble in the Stock Market... I've done OK buying what I think is low and selling when I think it's high. No emotional attachment... no greed... make 10 to 20% or lose 10% and move on to the next. I plan to continue that style because it's been pretty good so far. I'm not a day trader... I'm a trend trader.

I had never purchased an IPO before but I finally did last week. I've been itching to take a part of my portfolio and invest in something ground floor and hold it instead of trading it. Own a piece of something forever and see how it's doing 30 years from now. Whatever happens will happen... It's a company that I believe in so I jumped in.

My wife is nervous about it... She felt safer when I was watching for potential loss to minimize the risk... She thinks the stock market is risky... like betting on a horse at the track.

I told her that the stock market and the horses are completely different because one of the horses must win.

It didn't ease her mind... I should have taken a different approach.

Edited by Riverbrian, 05 May 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#2 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

Woof

#3 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

And today's random music video...

http://m.wimp.com/hawaiianukulele/
Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day.

#4 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

So no Mauer? Does anyone know if he is available to hit?

#5 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

So no Mauer? Does anyone know if he is available to hit?

I haven't heard anything. For the lack of anything, I will assume he's just being given a day off? But I really don't know.

#6 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

I take it Gardy isn't as cautious about giving Suzuki time off as he was with Mauer.

#7 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

Yesterday :

Mauer lined out in his lone plate appearance before exiting prior to the start of the third inning. He figures to miss at least the first game or two of the Twins' seven-game road trip that begins on Monday.
Source: Rhett Bollinger on Twitter

#8 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

LEN just posted a photo of rain mixed with hail in Cleveland. Still expected to stop before game time.

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

Good to finally see Danny Santana in the lineup---- oh wait

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

I'm fine with Santana sitting on the bench as long as Gardy isn't starting Flo--

Oh, &*^%.

#11 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

I'm fine with Santana sitting on the bench as long as Gardy isn't starting Flo--

Oh, &*^%.

It's because she used the Name your Price gun on him.

#12 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

I went to Cleveland for my honeymoon

Similar story for Mrs Ashbury and me, but Milwaukee. The wedding was in her hometown of Chicago, the actual honeymoon vacation was in Door County WI. But there was no way in the world I was going to let my practical-joking family or inlaws pull any stunts like short-sheeting and worse. So unbeknownst to them (and maybe Mrs Ash, I forget), I reserved a room at the Holiday Inn downtown Milwaukee, and had a worry free wedding night. Then we drove the rest of the way to the White Gull Inn the next morning. Perfect.

/ worry free wedding night - now there is a set up for someone to take and run with, I'm sure

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

So we have one honeymoon in The Cleve and another in the most segregated city in America.

Buncha wildcats here at Twins Daily.

#14 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

The wife and I honeymooned in Watiki. I bet some of you are jealous thinking that Watiki is a beautiful island somewhere in the middle of the ocean. Unfortunately, it isn't, or at least not that I know of. It is a hotel with an attached water park in Rapid City, SD. We spent our honeymoon in the beautiful Black Hills. Funny thing is that we mentioned we went to Watiki to one of my wifes friends and she asked which Hawaiian island that one was. We didn't have the heart to tell her.

#15 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

The wife and I honeymooned in Watiki. I bet some of you are jealous thinking that Watiki is a beautiful island somewhere in the middle of the ocean.

It was. Just that it was in the Jurassic Period. Damn big mosquitoes then.

#16 TheDean

TheDean

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

It's disappointing. At least he's going with Escobar since his bat has been pretty hot lately---- oh wait

#17 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

So was it Thursday or Friday last week that Antony declared that Escobar would be getting the majority of the starts at SS. He has now started 2/6 with Florimon the other 4 (plus one start at 3B for Escobar.) And Santana continues to get splinters. This just shows that Florimon on the bench is a worthless option, can't hit and can't play any position other than SS. Send him down already.

#18 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

It could be worse:

"@SportsCenter: Braves P Aaron Harang will bat 8th tonight. Atlanta has scored just 10 runs during current 6-game losing streak."

#19 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

So we have one honeymoon in The Cleve and another in the most segregated city in America.

Buncha wildcats here at Twins Daily.

My wife and I honeymooned in Cincinnati, OH. Just to throw another city out there.

#20 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

It could be worse:

"@SportsCenter: Braves P Aaron Harang will bat 8th tonight. Atlanta has scored just 10 runs during current 6-game losing streak."

I seem to recall reading somewhere that some of the newer metrics saying that batting the pitcher 8th could help a team score more runs because the 9 spot leads off an inning more than the 8 and it is like having another lead off hitter. Of course, I could be completely wrong too.

#21 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:06 PM

because the 9 spot leads off an inning more

It likely will do that even moreso, when you have the pitcher batting in front to make that third out more frequently.

#22 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

So was it Thursday or Friday last week that Antony declared that Escobar would be getting the majority of the starts at SS. He has now started 2/6 with Florimon the other 4 (plus one start at 3B for Escobar.) And Santana continues to get splinters. This just shows that Florimon on the bench is a worthless option, can't hit and can't play any position other than SS. Send him down already.

I can only say "Good News", as this might mean that Antony wasn't serious when he told Berardino that he didn't forsee promoting Meyer any time soon, or maybe at all this year.

#23 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

And Santana continues to get splinters.

I have a feeling before long Danny S is going to become a big fan of this guy:

Posted Image

"And my time with the Twins is a piece of wax--> falling on a termite......
.....who's choking on the Splinters...."

#24 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,860 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:27 PM

It could be worse:

I think LaRussa invented that. He didn't like the pitcher hitting before the top of the lineup came back around. So he started putting his pitcher in the 8th spot. Leaving the ninth spot to a better hitter who had a better chance of getting on base for his better hitters to knock in.

I honestly think Gardy should do that with Florimon... Move him to 8th so Dozier and Mauer have better chances of hitting with a base runner on.

#25 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,860 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

My wife and I honeymooned in Cincinnati, OH. Just to throw another city out there.

When I was younger... It was a goal of mine to see every baseball stadium. So when it came time to plan the Honeymoon... I told my wife that baseball was part of the package.

So we made it a baseball compromise... Niagara Falls and Baseball on the way and back.

It was 24 years ago but... The trip was... Madison Wisconsin the 1st night... The Old Comiskey Park (they were building the new one across the street). 2nd Night South Bend... 3rd night Cleveland... No baseball... The Indians were not home... Just Dancing and Partying on the flats... Loved the bar hopping in Cleveland...

4th and 5th nights was Niagara Falls...

6th Night... Toronto.. Sky Dome

7th night... Detroit... The old Tiger Stadium

8th night... We made it home.

So when people ask me where I spent my Honeymoon... I say Cleveland and then watch them struggle to reply to that.

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

I honestly think Gardy should do that with Florimon... Move him to New Britain so Dozier and Mauer have better chances of hitting with a base runner on.

ftfy

#27 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

I once saw an episode of the honeymooners.

"One of these days, Bang Zoom! Straight to the moon!"

I only hope the quote applies to ball or two off a twins' bat tonight...

Elsewise, i'm listening close for good ideas should ever have need of a honeymoon plan.

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

So when it came time to plan the Honeymoon... I told my wife that baseball was part of the package.

Tell Mrs Riverbrian she married well.

#29 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Locationsouthern Iowa

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

MLB Stat of the Day@MLBStatoftheDay 2m
In his past three starts, @Twins RHP Phil Hughes is 3-0 with a 2.79 ERA in 19.1 innings.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#30 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,860 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

I once saw an episode of the honeymooners.

"One of these days, Bang Zoom! Straight to the moon!"

I only hope the quote applies to ball or two off a twins' bat tonight...

Elsewise, i'm listening close for good ideas should ever have need of a honeymoon plan.

Honeymoon Ideas... Chattanooga.

Apart from location here's a great idea.

Hire a few people to decorate every car driven to the parking lot by the people attending your wedding.

And then have them stand guard over yours.