Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Logan Darnell to join Twins on Friday

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:46 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...Twins-on-Friday

#2 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:19 AM

Good for Darnell. I hope he makes a great case to stick.

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:23 AM

Excited for Darnell. But he was really only the best available option. A good logical move by the Twins, but likely could be useless after tonight if we get another short start from the SP staff (this time Nolasco), which could mean someone else would need to be called up as early as Saturday. (Although, I think Gardy went a little drama queen last night claiming the bullpen was "completely wiped out". Gardy, you just had 3 days off!..... and a majority of these RP guys went an inning or less on Wednesday and/or Thursday...Fien and Thielbar, for sure).

Edited by jokin, 02 May 2014 - 06:02 AM.

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:34 AM

bringing guys in for 1 out has a way of wiping out the pen a bit quicker in my opinion... Personally ,I'd rather Darnel go as a starter, though I could see him as a long reliever insurance type role...

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

I didn't see this coming. I expected Johnson to stay in Minnesota or Deduno to take Pelfrey's role or a reliever to come up from Rochester. I didn't expect them to bring up Darnell.

#6 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:47 AM

If its Hicks to the DL, by my count that'll be 14 pitchers and 3 catchers.

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:49 AM

Jesus Christ, Chief. You can never have too much pitching.

(before anyone gets insulted, this is a riff on a quote from Terry Ryan in an interview with John in 2012)

#8 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:12 AM

Jesus Christ, Chief. You can never have too much pitching.

I think the optimal number is 15 pitchers and 4 catchers. The Twins are on the cutting edge here, the rest of the league will be following suit. It is a copycat league.

#9 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

Not even Bert's "California Math" can make those numbers look good.

Darnell's work in AAA so far this year has earned him a chance with the Twins.

So, who's getting sent down? Burton? Please say Burton.

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

The fact that they called up a starter makes me wonder if Deduno isn't getting Pelfrey's spot in the rotation and they transfer Darnell to long relief. In the short term, that gives them an extra pitcher to relieve a tired pen, in the long-term it allows them to restructure the rotation a bit and ease Deduno into a starting role.

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

I didn't see this coming. I expected Johnson to stay in Minnesota or Deduno to take Pelfrey's role or a reliever to come up from Rochester. I didn't expect them to bring up Darnell.

The issue is having arms today (and maybe tomorrow). Johnson threw almost 110 pitches yesterday, so he can't help today.

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

The issue is having arms today (and maybe tomorrow). Johnson threw almost 110 pitches yesterday, so he can't help today.

Absolutely, I'm just a bit surprised that they pulled from Rochester's rotation, that's all.

But it makes sense if they're planning to slot Deduno into Pelfrey's spot in the rotation.

#13 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

Two thoughts here: first, Johnson can't get out of town fast enough for me. I cannot stand pitchers who work slow and don't throw strikes.

Second, I am getting really sick of Gardy bemoaning his "tired" bullpen. When nobody pitches more than an inning at a time, of course your bullpen is going to be tired. They throw more pitches getting loose than they do in the games. Gardy's little nonsensical habits are getting old.

#14 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

I would rather Meyer get a chance.

#15 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

Gardy is clearly a baseball trend-setter.....

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:48 AM

Two thoughts here: first, Johnson can't get out of town fast enough for me. I cannot stand pitchers who work slow and don't throw strikes.

Second, I am getting really sick of Gardy bemoaning his "tired" bullpen. When nobody pitches more than an inning at a time, of course your bullpen is going to be tired. They throw more pitches getting loose than they do in the games. Gardy's little nonsensical habits are getting old.

Must be a Wichita State thing....?

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

I would rather Meyer get a chance.

He'll get one soon enough. If he keeps pitching like he has this season, I think we see him called up when the Twins tire of watching Kevin Correia take the mound every fifth day.

#18 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:51 AM

Must be a Wichita State thing....?

That is outstanding....wish I would have thought of it. Here's hoping that the Kentucky thing is a little different.

#19 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

Hicks to the concussion DL is likely. Darnell comes up but they aren't sticking with 14 pitchers for more than a game. If Darnell stays then Theilbar is getting optioned down.

#20 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

I thought Herrmann was an outfielder?

#21 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

"I think the optimal number is 15 pitchers and 4 catchers. The Twins are on the cutting edge here, the rest of the league will be following suit. It is a copycat league. " You know if a team actually did that and won the World Series there would definitely be teams that would copy them. Its how we got the whole pitch to one batter, closers can only throw 1 inning in save situations stuff in the first place.

#22 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

" A good logical move by the Twins, but likely could be useless after tonight if we get another short start from the SP staff " If we get another short start and Darnell eats a lot of innings why would that be useless? I am thinking it might and should be Pelfrey sent down and if Darnell isn't needed before then he will get the start Tuesday. If Pelfrey cannot regain his velocity and control then putting him in the bullpen doesn't solve anything. Sending him down to find it makes all the sense in the world.

#23 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

Seven, eight or nine innings from Nolasco? Be prepared for that not happening? Like being prepared for the possibility of getting wet when thrown into a lake?

Maybe I'm missing a subtle humor in that, but based on what we've seen so far, shouldn't the Twins be grateful if he goes five or six without getting Charlie Browned?

Posted Image

Edited by LaBombo, 02 May 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#24 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

Why don't they just DFA Florimon and bring up Bernier? Escobar can play SS and Bernier would be more valuable because he plays multiple positions and Florimon doesn't. Bernier can at least bat.250 I bet

#25 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

Bernier can at least bat.250 I bet

Or he could bat .150, yet still be an offensive upgrade over PFlo.

#26 Twankees

Twankees

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

I think if Darnell throws well, we'll see Deduno start on Tuesday and Logan take over his role in the pen. That's seems to make the most sense if Pelfrey is about to get bumped.

#27 Twankees

Twankees

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

...or they could just use Darnell to start on Tuesday. Think about it, he's not "Alex Meyer flashy" but he's proven to be a consistent workhorse that pitches deep into games and gives you a chance every time out. Sounds like what the doc ordered to me.

#28 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

In fairness, Herrmann is the 25th man and plays corner OF more than catches and Pinto is the everyday DH.

#29 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

I think if Darnell throws well, we'll see Deduno start on Tuesday and Logan take over his role in the pen. That's seems to make the most sense if Pelfrey is about to get bumped.

But then, what to do with Pelfrey? I guess you can get pretty esoteric about your DL excuses, but I'm not sure how well "missing 2 MPH off his heater" would fly with the league and/or player. That happens to plenty of otherwise healthy pitchers all the time (they usually aren't under brand-new, multi-year contracts though, and/or they were coming from a better starting point than Pelfrey).

That's why I thought, swap Pelfrey and Deduno, ideally before yesterday's games. Let Pelf figure things out in the pen as a mop-up man, then DL/demote/release from there (or keep him in the pen or promote him back to the rotation if things go well).

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

In fairness, Herrmann is the 25th man and plays corner OF more than catches and Pinto is the everyday DH.

In fairness, I think the 14 pitchers is the more egregious part. How many teams have had 14 pitchers on their 25 man roster at any given time?