Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: The Big Switch: Trevor Plouffe

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-Trevor-Plouffe

#2 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

I would like to add that Plouffe's fielding is improved as well. 8 UZR/150 for 2014 compared to -8.6 and -14.9 in 2012/2013. It's still SSS, but if the trend continues, maybe Sano puts pressure on the first basemen rather than the third...

#3 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

I would like to add that Plouffe's fielding is improved as well. 8 UZR/150 for 2014 compared to -8.6 and -14.9 in 2012/2013. It's still SSS, but if the trend continues, maybe Sano puts pressure on the first basemen rather than the third...

Plouffe's start is very encouraging. I would not be surprised if he is traded, assuming we get a Denard Span like return. A lot of teams are weak at 3B.

If we keep Plouffe, he would be a nice piece on a contending team. He can play, 3B, 1B, LF, or RF and he crushes lefties (career .833 OPS). At minimum you have a very good bench/platoon player as well as depth. I am guessing the .900+ OPS does not continue. If that does he starts somewhere.

#4 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

I have said it before but if we could get as highly rated a shortstop perhaps it is Sano that should be traded.

#5 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

I have said it before but if we could get as highly rated a shortstop perhaps it is Sano that should be traded.

Never say never, but it would take a lot. Sano may hit .260-.270, 30-40 HR, and walk 100 times a year.

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,359 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

Never say never, but it would take a lot. Sano may hit .260-.270, 30-40 HR, and walk 100 times a year.

It just won't happen. It would take a Bogaerts-type player for Ryan to let go of Sano and the Sox would have to be insane to trade Bogaerts for anybody. Inversely, the Twins would have to be insane to trade Sano for anybody.

Hence we find ourselves in a situation where top prospects never get traded for top prospects.

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

Plouffe's start is very encouraging. I would not be surprised if he is traded, assuming we get a Denard Span like return. A lot of teams are weak at 3B.

If we keep Plouffe, he would be a nice piece on a contending team. He can play, 3B, 1B, LF, or RF and he crushes lefties (career .833 OPS). At minimum you have a very good bench/platoon player as well as depth. I am guessing the .900+ OPS does not continue. If that does he starts somewhere.

I got derisive chuckles when I proposed trading Plouffe for C Jason Castro as Houston needs a 1st baseman and have their prized Catching prospect on the doorstep of the majors. This would have opened up a trade to Arizona to get Didi Gregorius for Josmil Pinto. Now I'm not so sure if what Plouffe's doing is sustainable or another mirage, ala 2012. It does look different this time, perhaps Plouffe can fulfill his ideal destiny as a Super-Util..... and Pinto is looking impressive at the plate, as well. As the saying goes, "Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make."

#8 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

It just won't happen. It would take a Bogaerts-type player for Ryan to let go of Sano and the Sox would have to be insane to trade Bogaerts for anybody. Inversely, the Twins would have to be insane to trade Sano for anybody.

Hence we find ourselves in a situation where top prospects never get traded for top prospects.

I agree. Same reason why stars don't get traded for stars often. Fans are attached to their key guys and the Twins fans can't wait for Sano.

Regarding Boegarts, I would rather have Sano. Don't get me wrong, I would love Boerarts at SS. But I see a gap between the two. I think Sano is Adam Dunn that will hit .260-.270 and Dunn may end up with 600 HR and close to hall of fame.

Boegarts OPS in the minors is .750, he only hit double digits in HR twice and his career high in SB is 5. I know you can't compare the OPS of a 3B/DH to a SS. But if Boegarts is a .700 OPS guy up here, that is not special.

Full disclosure: I am a little leary of any top ranked Yankee or Red Sox prospect.

Edited by tobi0040, 28 April 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#9 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

I'm excited about the start for Plouffe. I've always (always) been a supporter of him and hoped he could someday play exactly like he is now. His play this year gives the Twins some options. If he hits the whole year I could see the Twins giving him a team friendly 3 year deal with an option. I could see 3 years 12-15 million not being bad. Hard for a deal like that to hurt them since he can play so many positions. Might even take more than that. His offensive/defensive abilities (even just being average at both) are a commodity.

If he continues this play into next season, and Joe Mauer continues his..... where do you put Sano? For all the crap Plouffe gets about his defense, it might actually be better than Sano's. Plus, he has the frame to stay at 3b for most of if not all his career while Sano does not. Plus, he is the veteran and the Twins tend to be pretty loyal.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#10 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

I'm excited about the start for Plouffe. I've always (always) been a supporter of him and hoped he could someday play exactly like he is now. His play this year gives the Twins some options. If he hits the whole year I could see the Twins giving him a team friendly 3 year deal with an option. I could see 3 years 12-15 million not being bad. Hard for a deal like that to hurt them since he can play so many positions. Might even take more than that. His offensive/defensive abilities (even just being average at both) are a commodity.

If he continues this play into next season, and Joe Mauer continues his..... where do you put Sano? For all the crap Plouffe gets about his defense, it might actually be better than Sano's. Plus, he has the frame to stay at 3b for most of if not all his career while Sano does not. Plus, he is the veteran and the Twins tend to be pretty loyal.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#11 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • LocationChange my photo

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

Read both comments. Now will listen to Duran Duran wearing a tutu while the cows in the field go moo moo.:)