Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Pelfrey to the bullpen?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

http://blogs.twincit...gling-rotation/

According to Bernardino, Pelfrey skipped his Saturday bullpen session and was available in emergency relief for Saturday's game. Gardy is quoted that Pelfrey will "probably" start his next rotation turn on Tuesday, depending on the weather for Gibson's next start on Sunday. I assume this means Pelf will be available for Bull Pen relief on Sunday as well.

#2 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:56 AM

How much better would this team be if they trade Correia. Move Pelfrey to the pen, where I think he could be decent. Promote Meyer & Deduno to the rotation. Then signed Drew after the comp deadline.

#3 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:57 AM

Realistically I think he gets 2 more starts even though he's shown 0 reason to deserve it.

#4 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:59 AM

I doubt the Twins are receiving very many calls for Correia and his 7.33 ERA (Pelfrey's 7.32 ERA isn't much better). Even if the Twins could find someone to take Correia, I can't see them getting much in return.

Is Meyer even ready for the MLB yet?

Would Pelfrey do any better out of the bullpen?

Deduno has a 1.84 ERA this year. He was arguably the best if not one of the best starters last year. I wouldn't be against moving him back to the starting rotation.

Signing Drew after the comp deadline could be an option if the price and contract length made sense. But I"m just not that crazy about Drew.

Edited by Reider, 27 April 2014 - 04:14 AM.

#5 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:05 AM

I hate to say it, but Pelf and KC in the bull pen would not be good for that unit. The real issue as I see it is that Pelf is on the team for another season. I think both will get a long leash simply being under contract, but if I had to guess today as to what it would be, I'd say Kris Johnson will get called up to replace Pelf and Burton may get a DFA. If KC struggled, I could see Pelf coming back into the rotation or Deduno getting a shot.

#6 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

At least Pelfrey and KC didn't cost Gibson a roster spot, but this is the folly in handing rotation spots to two low floor-low ceiling geezers with no chance of helping the future and minimal potential to help the present.

#7 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:35 AM

Would Pelfrey do any better out of the bullpen?

He could do less damage...

KC will get some more time (both will) since he actually pitched well sometime in the near past. Pelfrey has been all kinds of horrible except some some selective slicing and dicing of last year's splits. I would love to see Deduno back in the rotation with Mike Pelfrey relegated to the Eyre/Bass/Gray long man role until he gets some batters out.

#8 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

I don't think they'll be especially patient with either guy. I look for Pelfrey to swap roles with Deduno. And if KC gives them a couple more clunkers, they'll DFA him. They carried Blackburn's contract for two years as he toiled in AAA. KC is in the same position.

Meyer is very close. The new change up grip is a game changer.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#9 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

He could do less damage...

KC will get some more time (both will) since he actually pitched well sometime in the near past. Pelfrey has been all kinds of horrible except some some selective slicing and dicing of last year's splits. I would love to see Deduno back in the rotation with Mike Pelfrey relegated to the Eyre/Bass/Gray long man role until he gets some batters out.

If you look at Pelfrey's starts, he has done much better the first time through, before his lack of a quality secondary pitch catches up with him. Also, he might be able to throw harder if he doesn't have to conserve energy.

#10 thetank

thetank

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:46 AM

If you look at Pelfrey's starts, he has done much better the first time through, before his lack of a quality secondary pitch catches up with him. Also, he might be able to throw harder if he doesn't have to conserve energy.

Why was there too gains over Pelf? Because he had one good season with the Mets? Because he had such great stuff that other pitchers didn't have?

#11 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

Pelfrey may not fit a bullpen role very well. His performance drops significantly with runners on base. It would work best if he came in to start an inning. Long relievers almost always enter mid inning with runners on base.

#12 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

Why was there too gains over Pelf? Because he had one good season with the Mets? Because he had such great stuff that other pitchers didn't have?

A lot of the devotion to Pelfrey has to do with the fact that he is one of the best-liked guys on the team...he's a favorite of Gardy and Anderson. In all fairness to him, though, he has a better career ERA than Hughes, is just entering the period where pitchers coming back from TJ start to get more comfortable, and had a much better last half of 2013 than Hughes. I don't want to give up on a 6'7" with such good movement on his ball...I know I wouldn't want to step in the box against him.

That said, he has been a huge disappointment this year. Deduno is miscast in the bullpen and needs to start, and whatever starter is pitching the worst needs to go to the bullpen...I just don't know who that is yet.

#13 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

A Pelfrey-Deduno flip flop does seem like the right progression.
Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day.

#14 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

If anyone gets called up from the minors it will probably be kris Johnson as he is a lefty and on the 40 (i think). The other option is May as he is also on the 40. We wont see Meyer for awhile because of super 2 status. No need to rush him. Mid july is more luckily. I would prefer to bring him up like the cardinals do, stick him in bullpen this year.

#15 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Pelfry is in more danger of loosing his spot in the rotation because he is walking so many people and because of the loss of velocity. Corriea and 2 quality starts a so-so start and 2 clunkers one in which he still managed 5 innings. That's about right for a 5th starter. He s at least chewing up innings at the back of the rotation. Pelfry will go to the bullpen first if he doesn't figure it out. Deduno will likely get the first shot in the rotation. The Twins will be loyal to both Corriea and Pelfry for signing below market contracts. So I don't see either being DFA'd but I could see one of them traded around the all star break, or Pelfry in the pen, or someone on the DL. (Pelfry is pitching like he is hurt with decreased velo and loss of control says something is sore and he is favoring that muscle and is going to injure another).

#16 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

How much better would this team be if they trade Correia. Move Pelfrey to the pen, where I think he could be decent. Promote Meyer & Deduno to the rotation. Then signed Drew after the comp deadline.

1) cut Corriea
2) Pelfrey to pen
3) deduno to rotation
4) call up Meyer
5) cut Burton
6) activate Arcia
7) send down Herrman
8) call up Willingham
9) send down Florimon
10) call up Nunez
11) June- sign Drew
12) cut Escobar
13) send down or cut Swarzak
14) call up guerrier(May deadline)

-June-
Hughes 2b dozier
Nolasco. 1B Mauer
Meyer. 3B Plouffe
Gibson. DH Willingham
Deduno. LF Kubel
Perkins. RF Arcia
Pelfrey. SS Drew
Fein. C Pinto
Theilbar. CF Hicks
Duensing. Collabello
Guerrier. Fuld
Tonkin. Suzuki
Nunez

That might be a playoff roster....

#17 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

The Twins will be loyal to both Corriea and Pelfry for signing below market contracts.

What? Really? Someone else out there would have given either of these guys more money than the Twins did?

#18 Hawkeye12

Hawkeye12

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

I've got no problem with Correia staying in. He's already had the bullpen blow a late lead for him against the Sox, and also gave up a shutout in the 8th against KC when Gardy should've had the bullpen prepared to relieve him based on last year's track record of when he starts to falter. He also had the game where Colabello misplayed one in the outfield and Plouffe didn't even move on the ball hit to him at third, which led to big innings. That hurt his ERA because they weren't charged as errors, but certainly not going to hold him responsible for that mess. I think he gave up 5 when it should've been 1 run. I didn't like bringing Pelfrey back at all, but he does tend to do better first trip through the lineup, so flipping him and Deduno would be my pick. Pelfrey can work long relief and who knows, maybe he can become an ace set up guy?

#19 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

This was kind of my thought with Deduno in the pen, only a slight difference. If he's only going one inning, he only has to concentrate throwing 2-3 different pitches 9-15 times per outing rather than 4 or more pitches 100 effective times. Deduno started out rough in the pen, but seems to have settled in nicely. I think the same with Pelf, it will be a challenging transition, but could work well. I see this switch as a matter of time, and I think indications are soon. Pelfrey's contract dictates he's with the big league club for as long as possible 2014 and 2015, where Corriea's situation means start or DFA.

#20 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

1) cut Corriea
2) Pelfrey to pen
3) deduno to rotation
4) call up Meyer
5) cut Burton
6) activate Arcia
7) send down Herrman
8) call up Willingham
9) send down Florimon
10) call up Nunez
11) June- sign Drew
12) cut Escobar
13) send down or cut Swarzak
14) call up guerrier(May deadline)

-June-
Hughes 2b dozier
Nolasco. 1B Mauer
Meyer. 3B Plouffe
Gibson. DH Willingham
Deduno. LF Kubel
Perkins. RF Arcia
Pelfrey. SS Drew
Fein. C Pinto
Theilbar. CF Hicks
Duensing. Collabello
Guerrier. Fuld
Tonkin. Suzuki
Nunez

That might be a playoff roster....

I'd keep Escobar over Nunez. I'm not yet sold on 4 minor league appearances for Guerrier. Otherwise, I like your plan, except the realism part.

#21 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

If anyone gets called up from the minors it will probably be kris Johnson as he is a lefty and on the 40 (i think). The other option is May as he is also on the 40. We wont see Meyer for awhile because of super 2 status. No need to rush him. Mid july is more luckily. I would prefer to bring him up like the cardinals do, stick him in bullpen this year.

Meyer isn't even on the 40 man. Until he's on the 40, I'd say there about 4 guys ahead of him.

#22 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

The Twins will be loyal to both Corriea and Pelfry for signing below market contracts.

I know someone else remarked on this - but wow. In the long and sundry history of the internet, this might be the least accurate statement ever made.

#23 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

I know someone else remarked on this - but wow. In the long and sundry history of the internet, this might be the least accurate statement ever made.

Snopes.com has a message for you, sir.
Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day.

#24 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

Meyer isn't even on the 40 man. Until he's on the 40, I'd say there about 4 guys ahead of him.

That's technicality, easily remedied with a DFA. Based on Antony's recent comments, he's next in line.

#25 stringer bell

stringer bell

Old Guy

• Twins News Team
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

Regarding Pelfrey, he was a little better his last start. Still not even to satisfactory, but not embarrassing. The numbers are pretty stark--he's walked too many and his velocity isn't where it was last summer and fall. Pelfrey late last year was pretty good with a pretty high velo fastball and decent command and currently both are missing in action. If he's hurt, it would be in the interest of both player and team for him to take a DL stint. If he's 100%, it is fair to say that he's not pitching good enough to deserve a spot in the rotation.

#26 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

Only in Minnesota does the best starting pitcher from last year "lose" his job to a bunch of duds, only to have fans scream to have him put back into the starting rotation less than a month into the following season. Too funny.

#27 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

Only in Minnesota does the best starting pitcher from last year "lose" his job to a bunch of duds, only to have fans scream to have him put back into the starting rotation less than a month into the following season. Too funny.

I'm not even sure what this means, the fans were responsible for Deduno losing his job but now want him back? What are you saying here?

#28 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

Deduno isn't the guy I want in the rotation, he's the guy I think is most likely to take the next open rotation spot, which I think will soon be vacated by Pelfrey. I would rather have Meyer, but he's not on the 40 which Antony won't DFA Pelfrey or Corriea yet.

#29 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

How so? I didn't say they wouldn't trade them or demote them to the pen. but I don't see them releasing them outright. They will try to accommodate them if they can as they want other free agents to see they will be given fair treatment if things do not work out. It gives them a reputation as being a good place to go when you are a free agent.

#30 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

What is not fair about getting millions of dollars, and being made a fre agent?
Lighten up Francis....