Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/24): Polanco's Big Day

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...lanco-s-Big-Day

#2 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

Polanco continues to look good with his bat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the Twins signed this guy wasn't he supposed to be known for his defense? Seems like he kinda flip flopped.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,881 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

Polanco continues to look good with his bat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the Twins signed this guy wasn't he supposed to be known for his defense? Seems like he kinda flip flopped.

Correct. He was known for his defense. He was very thin and grew quite a bit. He's definitely become a very good hitter. Also very good 2B defender.

#4 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

Kris Johnson has been good so far. He is on the 40 man isn't he?

#5 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

Eric - nice write up- thanks

Looks like it may get interesting with the major league starters struggling and a number of the pitching prospects looking like they are close to being ready. May - Meyer now Johnson

#6 tjsyam921

tjsyam921

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:42 AM

How is that certain players can be good second basemen but struggle at short? Like Polanco and Dozier?

#7 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:59 AM

Yup. He's looked pretty decent so far this year, and with the Twins going without a left-handed starter, he could easily be the next man up (though that entire Rochester rotation has had a pretty strong week).

#8 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

How is that certain players can be good second basemen but struggle at short? Like Polanco and Dozier?

Some of it is the physicality - the throws are longer, you make more plays, more frequently. If you don't have great arm strength, you're going to be trying to put something extra on a lot of throws, leading to a lot more throwing errors, or you'll be rushing to get throws off without proper form.

Some of it is mental - you're seen as the captain of the infield, you feel the added pressure of those extra plays and longer throws. And suddenly you're Chuck Knoblauch and you can't throw the ball anywhere.

#9 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

Agree with Eric. It would be interesting to know how many of Polanco's errors at SS this year are on balls hit to his right. As a kid, I was an infielder without the necessary arm to be a really good SS and I handled everyhing to my left fine, but balls to my right made me hurry and that meant not only bad throws, but bringing my glove up too soon and botched transfers. I see the same thing now in some minor league SS with questionable arms.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,881 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

He is on the 40 man roster, and he did lead the International League in ERA last year. Reports I got on him said he wasn't just a typical soft-tossing lefty (a term I hate, by the way). He hits 92-93 with the fastball and had good control and secondary pitches. That was definitely a nice move, getting him instead of Welker!

#11 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

He is on the 40 man roster, and he did lead the International League in ERA last year. Reports I got on him said he wasn't just a typical soft-tossing lefty (a term I hate, by the way). He hits 92-93 with the fastball and had good control and secondary pitches. That was definitely a nice move, getting him instead of Welker!

I don't want to get in another debate in this thread, but we really do have some interesting pitching options this year. Starting rotation and bullpen
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#12 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

And suddenly you're Chuck Knoblauch and you can't throw the ball anywhere.

Too bad nobody had the foresight to save Knobby's career by moving him to second base. :)

#13 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

I'm wondering why Lester oliveros is pitching in AA.
He may very well be ready for the Majors.

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,881 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

I'm wondering why Lester oliveros is pitching in AA.
He may very well be ready for the Majors.

Still working back from Tommy John. Missed most of last year (2-3 rehab appearances only). he's just getting innings in a situation he can be successful at. When a spot opens in Rochester, he'll likely get the next one.