Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ Royals, 4/19 @ 1:10pm CT

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,226 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing out to left field at 10-20 m.p.h. Temperature around 70.

Twins:
SP, Correia

Dozier 2B
Mauer 1B
Plouffe 3B
Colabello RF
Kubel LF
Pinto C
Suzuki DH
Hicks CF
Florimon SS

Royals:
SP, Chen

Aoki RF
Infante 2B
Hosmer 1B
Perez C
Gordon LF
Butler DH
Moustakas 3B
Maxwell CF
Escobar SS

--------------------------

Check back here for Brian's thoughts ... could be dangerous ... so beware!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are dangerous... I already cut my finger typing them. So with Blood on the Tracks!!!

Things to Think About

1. .500 Ball -- Some of you people are so sick minded that if the Twins just kept returning to .500 ball like a tight rubber band was guiding it. Some of you sick minded people would be happy with that. Just imagine all year... The team will be 3 games back from .500 and then win 3 in a row... Get a game over .500 just to lose the next one. Get 5 games over .500 and lose the next 5 games. Thinking about that a little more... I'd be happy with that. Of course... I've never contended to be anything but sick minded.

2. Defense -- Stomp Stomp Defense... Stomp Stomp Defense... I didn't really get to see much of the game last night... I did see the play made by Brian Dozier in the highlights. Brian Dozier is becoming one of the finest fielding 2nd basemen in MLB. I don't know much about this Rosario looming on the horizon. I've read good things about him. He's gonna have to be real good to move Dozier.

3. Joe A. Preusser -- Joe claims to have series prognostication ability and he has prognosticated a Twins series win. I want to believe in this series prognostication ability because you have to believe in something in life. I need to believe that an Orangutan named "Eli the Ape" from the Salt Lake City Zoo can correctly predict Superbowl Winners. I like believing that Buffalo know to flee Wyoming because they can predict the super volcano. I want to believe that Joe has that same animal skill.

4. Sunday -- I imagine that I will think more about Sunday on Sunday but right now... We dropped last night's game and Sunday we face the 200 MPH hard throwing righty named Yordano Ventura. We may need to win today!!! I'm looking at Joe A. to bring this one home.

5. The Price of a Sandwich -- A couple of summers ago... I took my Family on Griswold style vacation in the car from North Dakota to Kansas City... Then to the Ozarks... Arlington... Austin... The Texas Hill Country... Lockhart... New Bruenfels... Galveston... New Orleans... Clarksdale Mississippi... and back home. We pulled into Kansas City early Saturday and did the Barbecue thing all day. We saw the Twins play the Royals on a Sunday. After the game we were just looking for a quick sandwich before hitting the road for our next stop in Southern Missouri. I had seen this place called "Grinders" on Diners Drive Ins and Dives and this became the chosen destination. We walked in... it was an old building and there were like 4 people in the place. My wife wanted to turn around and grab Subway instead after walking in the door. We stuck with the plan and ordered our food.

The sandwiches came to the table when I noticed a back door. I got up and went out the door to see what was out there. It led to this huge open area and a big stage. There was a band on the stage going through a sound check. I told the family to grab the food so we could eat at a table outside and watch. Doing the sound check was Ben Harper himself. Sitting in a chair with his lap slide guitar. Singing a song for a verse... stopping and saying... can you bring the highs up a little and then starting over. It lasted about as long as it took us to eat our sandwiches. The Sandwich was pretty good and it cost 8 bucks. The experience was worth a little more.

A few days later at Schlitterbahn's Waterpark in New Bruenfels Texas.

While attempting to boogie board on 50,000 gallons of rushing water... In front of maybe 300 kids and parents either waiting in line to try the boogie board themselves or sitting in the grandstand waiting and watching the action below. My Shorts were swept completely off my body and thrown to the back of the pool. As I stood up in all my glory... to surprising applause from the hundreds looking over me!!! I noticed a lady with a sandwich in the stands. I knew how she felt. I just had the unexpected bonus of seeing Ben Harper doing a sound check a few days of ago while enjoying a sandwich.

Edited by Riverbrian, 19 April 2014 - 11:06 AM.

When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,494 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

This is going to be a low scoring affair.

Or not.

#3 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

Happy birthday Joe Mauer.

#4 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Happy birthday Joe Mauer.

And a Mauer homerun for his birthday!!:go:!!

Or at least a Twins win!!!;)!

#5 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

Pinto please be in the lineup. My fantasy team is ready.

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,500 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

Kurt Suzuki, your MN Twins Designated Hitter

#7 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

Good, we aren't going to figure out if Pinto can be a MLB catcher if he's not catching.

#8 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

Pinto please be in the lineup. My fantasy team is ready.

Here's what I found:
Brian Dozier 2B
Joe Mauer 1B
Trevor Plouffe 3B
Chris Colabello RF
Jason Kubel LF
Josmil Pinto C
Kurt Suzuki DH
Aaron Hicks CF
Pedro Florimon SS
(Kevin Correia

#9 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,500 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

Good, we aren't going to figure out if Pinto can be a MLB catcher if he's not catching.

I agree that Pinto should catch. But the DH choices are downright dismal.

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,860 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

This is going to be a low scoring affair.

Or not.

I could not agree with this more!!!
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#11 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

I agree that Pinto should catch. But the DH choices are downright dismal.

Need a stronger word than dismal:(

#12 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

With his hefty .125 over his last 7 games:mad:

#13 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

Need a stronger word than dismal:(

Suzuki is lifetime .385BA/.770OPS against Chen. Gardy knows the cure for getting a guy out of a slump.

#14 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

Or less.

#15 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

Suzuki is lifetime .385BA/.770OPS against Chen. Gardy knows the cure for getting a guy out of a slump.

OK!!! Good to have all the knowledge on this site;)
I feel better now!

#16 stringer bell

stringer bell

Old Guy

• Twins News Team
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

Glad to see Pinto catching, but Suzuki DHing is a sad sight.

#17 stringer bell

stringer bell

Old Guy

• Twins News Team
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

Or not.

#18 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

Just, a pregame off subject question: anyone familiar with The Baseball Project group? I just got their new cd and it's kinda fun hearing songs about baseball.

#19 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

13 ABs, 5 singles. One just can't ignore these long term, large sample size trends.

#20 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

13 ABs, 5 singles. One just can't ignore these long term, large sample size trends.

Too, bad your Gomer avatar isn't facing the other way:roll:

#21 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

It's a lot more significant when it's player-on-player specfic.

#22 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

I am truly honored to be uncluded in your thoughts. Even with the comparison to an ape.

The .500 roller coaster you described sounds exactly what we went through with the Wolves. And yes, it was kind of sick.

Go Twins.

Edit: BTW, you put me off sandwiches for a while. :P

Edited by Joe A. Preusser, 19 April 2014 - 11:29 AM.

#23 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

Top 5 sandwiches:

1)Philly: Has to be authentic, and I am FIRMLY in the Cheese Whiz camp, while my wife is in the Provolone camp.
Once, I saw a commercial on TV with Arby's advertising a Philly with Swiss cheese. I damn near broke the TV, that is not a Philly, please call it something else.

2)Cuban: Nothing beats a good cuban. But at the same time, it can be very hard to find a good one. Have ordered Cubans from many places that have left me disappointed. Have to say I wasnt impressed by the Cubans at TF. Too small, and maybe it was a function of SSS, as I've only tried them once, but mine had a chemical taste or something to it.

3)Meatball: Everyone who cooks has a 'signature dish'. Mine is Chicken Parmigiana over spaghetti with meatballs. I usually make it on Sunday's, and I make everything except the pasta from scratch, takes me most of the day.
Long story longer, there is almost nothing better than picking up some hoagie buns on my way home from work Monday for some amazing leftover meatball sandwiches.

4) Patty Melt.
Patty Melts are such a perfect combination of ingredients, and unlike the Cuban, it is pretty hard to screw up. This is one you can order most anywhere and know you are going to be satisfied.

5) Pastrami.
With lots of spicy brown mustard, YUM.

#24 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

Too, bad your Gomer avatar isn't facing the other way:roll:

Deputy Gomer, if you please. ;)

#25 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Nice play, Plouffe-sie.

#26 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Time for our vaunted DH to produce!

#27 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Name the announcer: "THREE and one!"

#28 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

Hicks under .200:(

#29 stringer bell

stringer bell

Old Guy

• Twins News Team
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Bottom of the order is still a major concern.

#30 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Atta kid, Hicksie.