Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/3): Opening Night

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...)-Opening-Night

#2 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

Seth, did you get an eyewitness report on the defensive lapses at Cedar Rapids? At one point, Vielma was also listed for 3 errors along with Wade. Apparently the official scorer changed his ruling. My guess is Aussies and Venezuelans don't adjust immediately to playing baseball in mid-30 degree conditions. Gotta give the Kernels pitchers credit for playing through some adversity.

#3 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:14 PM

Interesting Randy Rosario is going tomorrow. I would've thought Eades would be the #2, not that it matters very much.

That lineup in FM looks great. I like seeing Polanco in the #2 hole.

One thing not mentioned is The Miracle went up against a former Twins's top prospect
Angel Morales

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

Seth, did you get an eyewitness report on the defensive lapses at Cedar Rapids? At one point, Vielma was also listed for 3 errors along with Wade. Apparently the official scorer changed his ruling. My guess is Aussies and Venezuelans don't adjust immediately to playing baseball in mid-30 degree conditions. Gotta give the Kernels pitchers credit for playing through some adversity.

I would say that no one will adjust quickly to playing in mid-30s weather. Not just Aussies or Venezuelans, but Californians, Texans, Floridians, Minnesotans. Doesn't matter. Arm stiffens, not as flexible, short-arm throws. Also, it's Low A ball. There just are going to be a lot of errors.

Also, Vielma is really young. Wade is really more of a 2B and Licon would do well at 3B. Lots of factors.

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

Interesting Randy Rosario is going tomorrow. I would've thought Eades would be the #2, not that it matters very much.

That lineup in FM looks great. I like seeing Polanco in the #2 hole.

One thing not mentioned is The Miracle went up against a former Twins's top prospect
Angel Morales

Regarding the rotation, doesn't matter a bit. Could be throwing a lefty between righties. Could be when they last worked in spring training.

Travis Harrison batter 8th for the Miracle... That says a lot about that roster, to me at least.

Morales is a very good guy, and I'm glad he caught on with the Marlins. I'd love to see him relax, put the ball in play and use those tools.

#6 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:30 PM

Yes the official scorer changed what was originally down as a 3rd error on Vielma in the 8th inning in to an infield single. I thought the original decision was the right one, but whatever.

From what I recall, all of the errors were throwing errors. A couple of balls clanked off of the fielder's glove and then the throw had to be rushed, etc. There's no doubt the weather was a factor. Then again, the Clinton infielders managed to make plays, so I'm not sure you can totally excuse the errors. Agree that the pitchers did a good job of working through the errors.

UPDATE: Yep, check out this from the official box score:

FIELDING

E: Wade 3 (3, throw, throw, throw), Vielma 2 (2, throw, throw).

Edited by SD Buhr, 03 April 2014 - 10:44 PM.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#7 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

Regarding the rotation, doesn't matter a bit. Could be throwing a lefty between righties. Could be when they last worked in spring training.

How did Rosario look this spring? I expected Landa to make the rotation over Rosario.

#8 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

Feels like a letdown reading this report even though they are great as usual.

My beef is that there is no Buxton, Sano or even Rosario to read about. Going to be a long season.

#9 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:56 PM

"My beef is that there is no Buxton, Sano or even Rosario to read about. Going to be a long season" Along those lines, do we know anything at all about Rosario? Do we even know his physical location?

#10 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:16 AM

Its great to have these minor league Reports. I read them daily. Thank you for including the links to the box scores. Perhaps you meant PROBABLE STARTERS instead of PROBABLY STARTERS

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:36 AM

How did Rosario look this spring? I expected Landa to make the rotation over Rosario.

Rosario looks really good. Left-handed, throws hard, good control of a couple of pitches. Landa throws hard, no control.

#12 Since71

Since71

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:09 AM

Thanks Seth. These reports have become my favorite part of TD.

#13 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:30 AM

Vance Worley pitched 58 innings in 9 starts at Rochester last year, averaging over 6 innings pitched a game? So how in the world have they not have a guy go at least 5 innings at Rochester since 2006?

#14 gbg

gbg

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:10 AM

Vance Worley pitched 58 innings in 9 starts at Rochester last year, averaging over 6 innings pitched a game? So how in the world have they not have a guy go at least 5 innings at Rochester since 2006?

I believe he meant "Opening Day starter".

#15 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

I believe he meant "Opening Day starter".

Thank you for pointing that out... you are correct. It was on Opening Day.

#16 ericchri

ericchri

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

So good to have these reports back. Following the minor leagues is so much fun when we have the talent we do right now. Even moreso when the major league team looks as rough as it currently does.

#17 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

Interesting to see Kepler in center. It would be great if he could move over from a corner OF spot on the days Buxton needs a rest. Is he still fast enough to play center reasonably well? He is a big boy. Is he exceptionally good in terms of jump and route?

#18 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

So good to have these reports back. Following the minor leagues is so much fun when we have the talent we do right now. Even moreso when the major league team looks as rough as it currently does.

Couldn't agree more. First thing I look at on Twins Daily every day.

#19 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

"My beef is that there is no Buxton, Sano or even Rosario to read about. Going to be a long season" Along those lines, do we know anything at all about Rosario? Do we even know his physical location?

I asked today and still no Rosario, and was told the usual, taking care of personal stuff. My guess is rehab, as this has dragged on.

#20 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

It's a bit depressing to see the opening day rosters without the Twins top three hitting prospects. What speaks to the system's depth is that there's still so many players worth tracking.

#21 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

I asked today and still no Rosario, and was told the usual, taking care of personal stuff. My guess is rehab, as this has dragged on.

If that's the case--the team is doing him right not by not publicly disclosing. In many places of work, no matter how small the drug offense, an extensive rehab program with a legitimate paper trail is required and enforced.

#22 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

Great to have these reports back Seth, my favorite part of TD as well.

The first thing I checked was how Danny Santana did as I think he is a really important prospect for the Twins. 0-5 with two errors - ouch.

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

Interesting to see Kepler in center. It would be great if he could move over from a corner OF spot on the days Buxton needs a rest. Is he still fast enough to play center reasonably well? He is a big boy. Is he exceptionally good in terms of jump and route?

Yeah, he's like 6-4 and 220 or so, but he has very good speed. I mean, don't put him in Hicks/Buxton/Revere speed category, but he could play CF if needed. Saw him hit a triple in a spring minor league game. He can fly. He had another triple last night in the game. He's a terriifc athlete.

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

Great to have these reports back Seth, my favorite part of TD as well.

The first thing I checked was how Danny Santana did as I think he is a really important prospect for the Twins. 0-5 with two errors - ouch.

People got real excited about him in spring, and I just shook my head... now, I'll just say, "Hey, it's just one game... 139 more for him to go... he'll be fine!"

ha!

#25 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

Honestly, I was excited about him more because Gardy seemed open to the notion that he could become a player. He tends to shy away from the talented but inconsistent type.

#26 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

Minors seem less interesting with no Buxton , Sano and Rosario

#27 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

My favorite part of the day is watching the Twins game. My second favorite part is reading the minor league report.

#28 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

Yeah, he's like 6-4 and 220 or so, but he has very good speed. I mean, don't put him in Hicks/Buxton/Revere speed category, but he could play CF if needed. Saw him hit a triple in a spring minor league game. He can fly. He had another triple last night in the game. He's a terriifc athlete.

I will be watching and hoping for great advancement out of AB Walker and Kepler. These two guys could set-up a very nice future scenario.