My plan for the 2014 Twins
by, 08-29-2013 at 10:09 AM (705 Views)
With 2013 being lost and 2014 not looking good for the start, this is my plan, on a limited payroll, est $80-$90 million(dueable with extra $25 million Twins will get next year for TV/radio rights) to try and put a competitive team on the field and sell seats to the fans.
1. Upgrade starting pitching staff. Sign if possible Josh Johnson and Tim Lincecum to contracts. Johnson should be a one year with option at about $7 millions. Lincecum may need 3 years for about $15 million a year to get it done. This assumes Giants do not make a qualifying offer.
4. Lincecum or other upper level FA
This leaves Diamond, Worley (Who could take Pressley's spot in the bullpen) at AAA for replacements. Do not view Hendriks as a major league pitcher.
2. Reorgainize bullpen. Roenicke will probably be gone, Tonkin should get a look, Pressley should be back in AAA unless Twins decide he is bullpen only.
Bullpen will consist of
6. Duensing (unless traded, which should be looked at). His arbitration number may be higher than he is worth)
7. Pressley if Twins decide he is worth it (I would put him at AAA and give him a shot at starting) I would use an FA or rule 5 draft pick here
Catching. This is the big question as it affects all the other positions. My guess is that Mauer will catch some, but the next concussion could end that.
Pinto will start it AAA, If he forces his way on the roster Doumit could be traded, at this time think this would be selling low.
1B Collobella, Parmelee, Mauer - do not see Morneau back too much money needed for pitching and Mauer's concussion has changed the diametics.
3B Plouffe - Sano should replace about midyear. This would push Plouffe to a Utility/platoon role against lefties
2. Non catcher/bench of Herrmann or Doumit
3. Sign Grady Sizemore to an incentive laden contract. Hopefully he will be healthy by late fall. Chance to have someone good at a reasonable price. 1 Year 3-4 million with incentives to earn a lot more. With an option year.
That is 2014 12 pitchers, 3 catchers, 5 infielders, 4 outfielders and one undetermined DH or a Rochester addition next year (Richerson, Romero).
Let me know your comments.