by, 01-06-2012 at 10:46 AM (478 Views)
Good morning! I just wanted to post a few quick notes on an early Friday morning. I fell asleep early last night (not a bad thing!) and got up early this morning, so here are a few notes.
◦First of all, co
- ngratulations to Brian Duensing and his wife on the birth of their first child yesterday, a daughter.
- ◦I was quite surprised last night to read that the Twins decided to release minor leaguers RHP Cesar Ciurcina, RHP Todd Van Steensel, and RHP Pedro Guerra.
- ēCiurcinawas a guy who was terrific in the DSL and GCL and pretty bad last year in Elizabethton.surprised by the Van Steensel decision. He didnít have a great 2011 at Elizabethton, but at times, he pitched well. The strange thing, according to Jeremy Nygaard, is that Baseball America posted the releases at 6 p.m. last night central time. At 8 p.m. central time, Van Steensel, who is in Australia, tweeted that he just learned that the Twins released him. Strange timing. (Be sure to continue following Van Steenselís Clubhouse Chronicles blog)
- ēIím a little
- ēI am very[/INDENT]surprised by the decision to release Pedro Guerra. He began each of the past two seasons at Elizabethton and advanced to Beloit where he pitched well.
- ◦Read also that the Orioles signed former Twins minor league catcher, Australian Allan de San Miguel.
- ◦Happy Birthday to Anthony Slama today! Also, congratulations to Slama and his girlfriend on their recent engagement. Slamaís soon-to-be brother-in-law, Collin Balester was traded earlier this offseason to the Detroit Tigers. (This is Page 6 kind of stuff, huh?)
- ◦MLB is conducting its Rookie Career Development Program this week. According to Jonathan Mayo, the Twins sent Joe Benson, Chris Parmelee and Rene Tosoni to the conference.
- ◦Phil Mackey wrote an article on the Twins payroll that I find myself completely agreeing with. Most Twins fans probably donít.
- ◦Former Twins Kevin Slowey and R.A. Dickey began their trek to reach the peak of Tanzaniaís Mount Kilimanjaro. The two are doing it for a charity that rescues girls from enslavement in the sex trade and fights human trafficking.
- ◦Those in the Beloit area will want to consider attending the 8th Annual Snappers Hot Stove Banquet on January 19th. Guests will include Twins GM Terry Ryan, Senior Director of Minor League Operations Jim Rantz, and Twins outfielder Ben Revere. MLB Umpire Marty Foster will also be speaking at the event. For more details on the event and to see how to secure your tickets, click here.
- ◦The Twinkie Town 2012 Top 50 vote is up to Round 24. Be sure to get your votes in. The voting is somewhat different than mine, and thatís a good thing because no prospect lists that go as deep as 50 should be exactly the same! Great discussion in the comments too!
- ◦I always have to encourage people to follow me on Twitter, or at least bookmark my Twitter Feed page. Why? Because I tweet quite a bit, and often I donít wind up blogging all of the information that gets tweeted. I retweet a lot of other peopleís blog entries and articles for people to read. One such article was Rogerís Minor League Report from last Saturday. He had a sit-down with Minnesotan, former Gophers and Twins 2011 draft pick AJ Pettersen. AJ is one of the really good people, and Roger wrote about their discussion.
- ◦ By the way, my plan is to be at Twins Fest on January 27 and 28. Iíve enjoyed attending the event for several year and now enjoy meeting up with other bloggers and fans. Itís also fun to chat with the players and the minor leaguers. If youíre heading down to the Metrodome (and it is great that the Twins are back there for Twins Fest this year after the roof collapse a year ago), let me know!
- ◦One thing that I would love to eventually attend, and wonít be able to this year, is the 2012 Diamond Awards. This year, it is on Thursday, January 26th, at Target Field. Itís a great even that provides dollars for the University of Minnesotaís innovative research and patient care in ataxia, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, Parkinsonís disease, and ALS.
- ◦Check out Parkerís blog on A team building exercise.
- ◦Quick Update on the Minnesota Twins Prospect Handbook 2012 Ė I also wanted to let people know that I hope to have the book available in the next three weeks. My goal is always to have it available so that people can bring it to Twins Fest and get it signed by players. It is definitely coming together, and Iím nearly to the point of doing the final editing and production. I hope to have more information for you next week, but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
- ◦There are a ton of great Twins blogs, and instead of me doing a Link blog today, Iíll encourage you
to check out the NoDak Twins Fanís Friday Links-N-Thinks and Aaron Gleemanís Link-O-Rama.
Thatís it for today! Feel free to leave comments or more links/topics in the Comments section.