by, 04-19-2013 at 06:47 AM (398 Views)
Tragedy struck Boston on Monday with the horrific bombings at the Boston Marathon.
A very visible sporting event was attacked and this story hit home with a lot of us. It can be frightening to think about attacks happening at big events but people are resilient. There were numerous positive stories coming out of the tragedy. A former New England Patriots lineman carried a woman to safety and there were plenty of other stories like this.
Many teams around the world of baseball paid tribute to Boston in a similar fashion. The song "Sweet Caroline" has become synonymous with Red Sox games. Most teams saw it fitting to play this song during a break in the action; even the rival Yankees stood united in support of Boston. Here are the fans at Target Field singing "Sweet Caroline."
Baseball continued to go on this week and there were some great stories from across the web. Have a safe weekend and give someone you love a call.
- Chris Colabello has one of the best stories in baseball.
- How does Joe Mauer do when it comes to catcher framing?
- Twins starters pitch to contact and that is killing them this year.
- AJ Petterson is playing with some very good players and he offers his early season highlights.
- There has been more than one player for the Twins to get a cup of coffee with the club.
- Miguel Sano and Eddie Rosario are helping the Miracle to a record start.
- Sano already has one movie about his rise and they are working on a sequel.
- Glen Perkins is always an interesting interview.
- Aaron Hicks set a record and it wasn't one a player wants to set.
- Mauer and David Wright forged a friendship in the WBC.
- "Delmon's going to be as good as Delmon wants to be"
- Here is a cool list of all the players that have debuted this year with the scouts that signed them. A couple of Twins players on the list.
- IMDb released their top 10 baseball movies of all-time.
- Here is my top 5 baseball films:
- Bull Durham
- Major League
- A League Of Their Own
- Field of Dreams
- Beyond the Boxscore did some great research creating Pitcher Similarity Scores based on Pitchf/x data.
- Denard Span didn't know what a double-switch was.
- Jackie Robinson gets a lot the press but Larry Doby was just as important in the AL.
- Bert Blyleven never had anyone charge him but he did charge the mound once himself.
- Lance Berkman really doesn't like Wrigley Field.
- There is more than one way to deal with hecklers in the stands.
- Former Twins pitcher Kyle Waldrop had an impressive first start at the Triple-A level.
My Weekly Rundown:
- Monday: Talk to Contact: Episode 33
- Tuesday: Finding solutions for struggling Aaron Hicks
- Wednesday: Arcia's ascension could mean Willingham's exit
- Wednesday's Minor League Wrap-Up
Video of the Week: It is hard for Ben Revere to amaze after some of the plays he made in a Twins uniform. This catch from earlier this week might still leave you with your mouth open. He misplays the ball a little at the beginning and has to make up for it at the end with a Superman like jump. It was a very cool play by a good defense center fielder.