by, 03-22-2013 at 06:50 AM (434 Views)
It is hard to imagine that this time last year there were temperatures in the 70s or higher for parts of Twins Territory. There are only a handful of days left until Opening Day and there seems be plenty of snow left on the ground. Fans in North Dakota and northern Minnesota are still digging out of the most recent blizzard and it's hard to believe baseball is only a few days away.
The World Baseball Classic wrapped up in the middle of the week so most players are back in camp for their respective clubs. Sam Deduno helped the Dominican Republic take home the title by pitching five scoreless innings in the championship game. There are still enough questions about him that the Twins might not even start the year with him in the rotation.
For now, it is almost the weekend and there were plenty of great stories from throughout the week. Below you will find a handful of the best stories from around the web with a few bonuses thrown in to spice things up. Enjoy this week's edition of "Friday Links-N-Thinks."
- Who should have the title of Mr. Twin?
- Aaron Hicks looks to be the next in a long line of Twins center fielders.
- The shortstop and third base situation will be interesting to watch this year.
- Technology is amazing especially when it helps the Twins.
- It's past the two week warning so what does that mean for the club?
- The 2008 Draft is intriguing to look back on...
- There have been plenty of forgettable Twins in the history of the team.
- Tom Brunansky and Terry Steinbach had a conference call with season ticket holders.
- From a PR perspective, does Aaron Hicks need to win the center field job?
- Vance Worley struggles with his weight just like the rest of us.
- Sam Deduno might be the most interesting man in the world.
- Defrosting a field is something that wasn't a problem at the Metrodome.
- Miguel Sano got two hits in his first action with the big league club.
- If the Twins were a dictatorship, this is what their propaganda poster might look like...
- Pat Neshek is still trying to recover from the death of his son.
- This is a great shot of Harmon Killebrew from his days with the Senators.
- What is the probability of a batter getting a hit in any given plate appearance?
- Scott Baker has already been shut down so maybe it was good that the Twins didn't sign him.
- Topps Baseball Cards locked up the MLB-exclusive license through 2020.
- Minor League ballparks can play a role in making a prospect look good or bad.
- What if umpires still called balls and strikes from behind the mound?
- I find it slightly amusing that Kyle Lohse doesn't have a job.
My Weekly Rundown:
- Sunday: Twins minor leaguers sing Journey
- Monday: Have the Twins been lucky in the Gardenhire Era?
- Tuesday: Drew Butera and the cost of a third catcher
- Wednesday: Early 2013 MLB Draft Preview
- Thursday: Sam Deduno: New and Improved?
Video of the Week: I could have easily gone with the minor league players singing Journey. But since I already put that video up on Sunday, I went with something else. Twins players Justin Morneau and Drew Butera discuss breaking in their new gloves for the year. That was one of the best things to do as a kid. The smell of a new glove and working with the leather to get it to just the right spot.