Twins Week in the Winter Leagues (Nov. 19-25)
by, 11-27-2012 at 08:12 AM (500 Views)
For the first week of the Winter League updates, we will not be chronicling the Arizona Fall League. Worry not! We still have no fewer than five winter leagues in which Twins players or minor league players are participating. Frankly, this weeks update is lacking in terrific performances as we have seen in recent weeks. But there are certainly a few worth noticing. Heres how players from the Twins system did during the week from November 19-25.
VENEZUELAN WINTER LEAGUE
Player of the Week Deolis Guerra, RHP
Guerra was the player of the week choice last week, and he will be my choice again this week. He pitched in the three games and covered 4.1 innings. He gave up no runs on no hits and walked none. He struckout four. Overall, Guerra has thrown 13 innings in 12 games. He had walked just two and struckout 15.
- Oswaldo Arcia 4 Games, 2-15 (.133), 2B, HR, 0 BB, 4 K
- Brian Dozier 5 Games. 4-18 (.222), 1 BB, 4 K
- Eduardo Escobar 5 Games, 4-14 (.286), 2B, 2-HR, 6 RBI, 4 BB, 3 K (had one game in which he was 3-3 with a walk, two homers and six RBI)
- Darin Mastroianni 6 Games, 7-25 (.280), 2B, 2 BB, 2 K, 3 SB (was 7-9 the first two games of the week)
- Josmil Pinto 2 Games, 0-1
- Edgar Ibarra 3 Game, 1 Game Started, 2 innings, 5 hits, 6 earned runs, 1 walk, 3 strikeout.
- Shairon Martis 1 Game Started, 3.0 innings, 5 earned runs, 6 hits, 0 walks, 1 strikeout.
- Angel Mata 1 Game, 0.2 innings, 0 runs, one hit, 0 walks, one strikeout.
- Bruce Pugh 2 Games, 1.1 innings, 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 1 strikeout.
- Dakota Watts 3 Games, 4.2 innings, 5 hits, 3 earned runs, 3 walks, 1 strikeout.
You have likely noticed that some young Venezuelan kids, like Yorman Landa or Angel Mata, may not pitch each week. However, they are likely playing in Liga Paralela. Josmil Pinto has moved back and forth between the rosters of the big club and its Parallel team. A player like Landa got a couple of innings with the big club, but as the offseason goes along, more veterans from Venezuela start playing and the young guys get moved down. It really runs just like a Major League team and its AAA affiliate.
MEXICAN WINTER LEAGUE
Player of the Week Chris Colabello, 1B
For the third straight week, my choice for player of the week in Mexico is Chris Colabello. On the week, he played in six games. He went 7-25 (.280) with a double and a home run. He walked twice and struckout eight times. Overall in Mexico, he has had 133 at bats in 36 games played. He is hitting .331/.396/.632 (1.028) with 10 doubles, 10 home runs and 27 RBI.
- Anthony Slama 2 Games, 2 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 0 strikeouts. 1 save.
- Gonzalo Sanudo 3 Games, 2.2 innings, 1 hit, 0 earned run, 1 walks, 1 strikeouts.
DOMINICAN WINTER LEAGUE
Player of the Week Pedro Florimon, SS
To say that the offensive game of Pedro Florimon in the Dominican this winter has been streaky might be kind, but it isnt too far from accurate. He has had a couple of weeks where he had accumulated just one or two hits. This is the second week that he has been named the player of the week. This week, the shortstop went 7-14 (.500) in five games. He walked once and struckout three times. Overall, he is still hitting just .235/.330/.247 (.577) with just one double in 85 at bats.
- Miguel Sano 1 Game, 0-1.
- Drew Butera 2 Games, 0-6, walk. 1-18 (.056) in last eight games hes played.
- Luis Perdomo 3 Games, 2.1 innings, 1 run, 2 hits, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts.
- Samuel Deduno 2 Games (1 GS), 4.2 innings, 0 runs, 4 hits, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts.
PUERTO RICO WINTER LEAGUE
Player of the Week Not Applicable
It wasnt a great week for Twins players in Puerto Rico. I simply cant pick any of the players as player of the week.
- Angel Morales 3 Games, 1-7 (.143), 4 K
- Danny Ortiz 4 Games, 0-11, 2 K
- Kennys Vargas 2 Games, 1-7 (.143), 1 BB, 3 K
- Eddie Rosario 2 Games, 0-6, 1 K
- Nelvin Fuentes 1 Game, 1 inning, 0 runs, 0 hit, 1 walk, 0 strikeouts.
AUSTRALIAN BASEBALL LEAGUE
Player of the Week Josh Hendricks, 1B
Josh Hendricks spent the season with the Elizabethton Twins, and now the 21-year-old is playing for the Melbourne Aces. In the past week, he played in four games and went 5-14 (.357) with a double and 6 RBI. Overall, hes played in 7 games, and is 7-21 (.333) with two doubles and a homer.
- Logan Wade 2 Games, 2-7 (.286), 2 walks, 1 strikeout
- JD Williams 4 Games, 2-17 (.118), 1 walk, 8 strikeout
- Jacob Younis 2 Games, 2-8 (.250), 2B, 0 walks, 2 strikeouts
- Tim Atherton 1 Game, 1 Win, 1.1 innings, 0 walks, 0 hits, 0 runs, 2 strikeouts
- Sam Gibbons 1 Game Started, 4.2 innings, 10 hits, 3 walks, 4 earned runs, 0 strikeouts
- Josh Guyer 1 Game, 2.1 innings, 2 hits, 1 walk, 0 runs, 2 strikeouts
- Tyler Herr 2 Games, 2.1 innings, 1 hit, 0 walks, 0 runs, 0 strikeouts
Feel free to discuss or ask any questions that you like. Also, feel free to pick a player of the week. Here were the nominees:
Venezuela Deolis Guerra
Mexico Chris Colabello
Dominican Pedro Florimon
Puerto Rico Not Applicable
Australia Josh Hendricks