Twins Week in the Winter Leagues (Nov. 12-18)
by, 11-19-2012 at 09:01 PM (472 Views)
It has been another interesting week for Twins prospects who are playing in the Winter Leagues. The Arizona Fall League came to an end on Saturday afternoon when the Peoria Javelinas (the team the Twins prospects played for) won the championship game. Some prospects tours on the winter leagues are coming to an end while a few others began playing this past week. Heres how players from the Twins system did during the week from November 12-18.
ARIZONA FALL LEAGUE
Player of the Year Nate Roberts, OF
Roberts went 3-4 with a walk in the AFL Championship game on Saturday. He led the league in batting average, on base percentage and slugging percentage. In his 19 games, he went 29-65. He hit .446/.565/.662 (1.226) with five doubles, three homers and 15 RBI. He walked 12 times while striking out just seven times. He was also 6-8 in stolen base attempts.
- Evan Bigley In 16 games, he went 15-62. He hit .242/.319/.371 (.690) with four doubles, two triples and nine RBI.
- Dan Rohlfing He played in five games after replacing Herrmann in Arizona. He went 6-18 and hit .333/.435/.333 (.768) with five RBI.
- Logan Darnell Darnell pitched in nine games, the last two were starts. He went 2-0 with a 2.45 ERA. In 18.1 innings, he gave up 18 hits, walked five and struckout 17. Hitters hit .257 off of him.
- Kyle Gibson He made six starts. He was 3-2 with a 5.40 ERA. In 23.1 innings, he gave up 31 hits, walked eight and struckout 21. Opponents hit .326 off of him.
- Caleb Thielbar He pitched in 11 games. In 13 innings, he gave up 21 hits, walked eight and struckout 12. Opponents hit .375 off of him. He was 1-0 with an 11.08 ERA.
- Michael Tonkin Tonkin pitched 10 games in relief. He was 1-0 with a 2.45 ERA. In 14.2 innings, he gave up just eight hits, walked two and struckout seven. Opponents hit just .163 off of him.
- Chris Herrmann he played in just three games before leaving Arizona due to inflammation in his left shoulder. In those three games, he went 5-10 with a double. He walked twice and struckout once.
VENEZUELAN WINTER LEAGUE
Player of the Week Deolis Guerra, RHP
Guerra got off to such a fast start this season in New Britain and started out well when he was promoted to Rochester, but things quickly went downhill, and he ended the season on the Disabled List. Hes pitching late-inning relief in his home country and he had a good week this week. He pitched in three games. In three innings, he gave up no runs on three hits. He walked none and struckout three. He recorded a save as well.
- Oswaldo Arcia 6 Games, 4-21 (.190 in one game, he was 2-5 with a walk, his fourth HR and five RBI.
- Brian Dozier 2 Games. One hit in six at bats over his first two games in Venezuela.
- Eduardo Escobar 4 Games, 3-12, two walks
- Darin Mastroianni 4 Games, 3-10, 1 BB, 1 SB
- Edgar Ibarra 1 Game, 2 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 1 strikeout.
- Bruce Pugh 3 Games, 3.1 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts.
- Dakota Watts 3 Games, 4.1 innings, 5 hits, 1 run, 4 walks, 2 strikeouts.
MEXICAN WINTER LEAGUE
Player of the Week Chris Colabello, 1B
Another week, another impressive performance by Chris Colabello. In six games this week, he went 10-20 with his ninth double and his ninth home run. He raised his average to .339 and his OPS to 1.065.
- Anthony Slama 4 Games, 3.1 innings, 6 hits, 4 earned run, 3 walks, 8 strikeouts. 1 save.
- Gonzalo Sanudo 2 Games, 2.2 innings, 0 hits, 0 earned run, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts.
DOMINICAN WINTER LEAGUE
Player of the Week Deibinson Romero, 3B
Romero made his 2012 Dominican debut with three games this week. He was 0-4 in the first game. The next day, he went 3-4 with a triple and four RBI. Those were the only three hits he had in the three games, but it was still the best performance of the week.
- Miguel Sano 1 Game, 0-1 with a walk.
- Jhonathan Arias 1 Game, 0-1.
- Drew Butera 5 Games, 1-10 (.100), RBI
- Pedro Florimon 4 Games, 1-12 (.083), 2 BB, 5 K
- Luis Perdomo 1 Game, 1 inning, no runs, 1 walk, two strikeouts.
PUERTO RICO WINTER LEAGUE
Player of the Week Daniel Ortiz, OF
Ortiz was the Twins 4th round pick in 2008 out of Puerto Rico. He began 2012 back in Beloit, but it wasnt too long before he moved up to Ft. Myers. This past week, he played three games and went 6-10 (.600) with a home run.
- Jorge Fernandez 3 Games, 0-4, 3 K
- Angel Morales 6 Games, 3-20 (.150), 2B, 2nd home run, 1 BB, 8 K
- Kennys Vargas 3 Games, 1-14, 2B, 7 K
- Nelvin Fuentes 1 Game, 1 inning, 0 runs, 1 hit, 2 walks.
- Josue Montanez 2 Games, 5 IP, 5 hits, 4 earned runs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts.
AUSTRALIAN BASEBALL LEAGUE
Player of the Week Sam Gibbons, RHP
Gibbons spent the 2012 season with the GCL Twins. He made a start this past weekend and went five innings. He gave up two runs on five hits. He walked two and struckout three.
- Logan Wade 2 Games, 2-6 (.333), 1 strikeout, 1 stolen base
- Josh Hendricks 3 Games, 2-7 (.286), 2B, RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Feel free to discuss or ask any questions that you like. Also, feel free to pick a player of the week. Here were the nominees:
Arizona Nate Roberts
Venezuela Deolis Guerra
Mexico Chris Colabello
Dominican Deibinson Romero
Puerto Rico Daniel Ortiz
Australia Sam Gibbons