Twins Minor League Awards - July
by, 08-09-2012 at 12:08 AM (1246 Views)
As I was beginning my trek to Beloit last week, I realized that it was already into August. I have no idea where the entire month of July went, but it was already time to present awards for the minor league hitter, starting pitcher and relief pitcher of the month. To keep things brief, this is a little late, so Im going to consolidate the reports. Along with the three winners, Ill give a top five as well as post some honorable mentions, if appropriate.
I apologize for the delay, but it is important for me to post this as there were a lot of strong performances. In fact, the player selected as the Eastern League Player of the Month finished third on this list. Well start with some honorable mentions, followed by choices five through two. It will then culminate with the July hitter of the month. Well start with the hitters before moving on to the pitchers.
- Rochester Brian Dinkelman 27-81 (.333/.449/.580 .965), 7-2B, 1-3B, 1-HR, 7-RBI
- Rochester Matt Carson 26-84 (.310/.370/.500 - .870) 1-2B, 0-3B, 5-HR, 14-RBI
- New Britain Chris Colabello 38-113 (.336/.400/.487 887), 11-2B, 0-3B, 2-HR, 20 RBI
- New Britain Deibinson Romero 33-104 (.317/.385/.500 - .885), 7-2B, 0-3B, 4-HR, 21-RBI
- Beloit Miguel Sano 21-76 (.276/.426/.461 - .886), 3-2B, 1-3B, 3-HR, 21-RBI
- Elizabethton Romy Jimenez 25-67 (.373/.475/.597 1.072), 9-2B, 0-3B, 2-HR, 22-RBI
- Elizabethton Candido Pimentel 36-88 (.409/.464/.523 - .987), 5-2B, 1-3B, 1-3B, 14-RBI
- Elizabethton Jorge Polanco 22-71 (.310/.417/.507 - .924), 9-2B, 1-3B, 1-HR, 9-RBI
- Elizabethton Adam Walker 30-101 (.297/.355/.564 - .919), 3-2B, 1-3B, 7-HR, 26-RBI
- #5 New Britain Aaron Hicks 35-110 (.318/.433/.518 - .951), 7-2B, 3-3B, 3-HR, 11-RBI
- #4 Ft. Myers Josmil Pinto 31-79 (.392/.437/.582 1.019), 4-2B, 1-3B, 3-HR, 10-RBI
- #3 New Britain Oswaldo Arcia 34-96 (.354/.426/.583 1.009), 6-2B, 2-3B, 4-HR, 25-RBI
- #2 Rochester Chris Parmelee 27-81 (.333/.449/.580 1.029), 5-2B, 0-3B, 5-HR, 17-RBI
The July Minnesota Twins Minor League Hitter of the Month is...
Elizabethton Twins OF Max Kepler (32-96) .333/.439/.688 (1.126) with 7-2B, 3-3B, 7-HR, 28 RBI
Kepler was signed by the Twins as a 16-year-old from Berlin, Germany, in July of 2009. He was immediately touted as the top prospect ever signed out of Europe. It has been a slow progression for the lefty-hitting outfielder. He posted a .689 OPS in the GCL in 210. Last year in Elizabethton, he hit .262 with 11 doubles, three triples and a homer. He produced solid numbers, but it made sense for such a toolsy player to go back to the Appalachian League. After a very slow start at the beginning of the E-Town season, Kepler started hitting very well in July, as you can see from the numbers above. At one point, he hit four home runs in five games and seven homers in 11 games. After four hits last night, he is now hitting .297 on the season with eight homers. He is 6-4 and 180 pounds and hopes to continue to fill out and add more power, but he is also a very speedy player.
THE STARTING PITCHERS
- Rochester Esmerling Vasquez 6 G, 4 GS, 2-1, 3.60 ERA, 25 IP, 20 H, 5 BB, 24 K
- #5 Rochester Liam Hendriks 5 GS, 2-2, 3.09 ERA, 32 IP, 29 H, 8 BB, 19 K
- #4 New Britain BJ Hermsen 5 GS, 4-1, 2.30 ERA, 31.1 IP, 29 H, 9 BB, 21 K
- #3 Elizabethton Hudson Boyd 5 GS, 2-1, 1.82 ERA, 24.2 IP, 22 H, 7 BB, 17 K
- #2 Rochester Jeff Manship 6 GS, 2-1, 1.67 ERA, 27 IP, 29 H, 12 BB, 20 K
The July Minnesota Twins Minor League Starting Pitcher of the Month is...
Beloit LHP Jason Wheeler - 5 GS, 4-0, 2.03 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 31 IP, 26 H, 12 BB, 22 K
For the second straight month, a left-handed starter for the Beloit Snappers is our choice for starting pitcher of the month. Last month, he was David Hurlbut. This month, it is 2011 8th round pick Jason Wheeler. Wheeler has been one of the more consistent starting pitchers in the organization. Overall, he is 12-5 with a 3.35 ERA. In 22 starts and 126.2 innings, he has allowed 133 hits, walked 35 and struck out 96 batters. He is listed at 6-8 and 265. He stands out on the field due to his height, but he appears to be in very good shape. He does not throw hard, touching 90, but he does have some very good off-speed pitches that keep batters off balance. Its surprising to many that the 21 year old from Loyola Marymount has not yet been promoted to Ft. Myers.
THE RELIEF PITCHERS
- #4 New Britain Bruce Pugh 9 G, 15 IP, 9 H, 7 BB, 13 K, 1-1, 1.20 ERA, 3 Saves
- #3 Beloit Cole Johnson 10 G, 17.1 IP, 9 H, 5 BB, 20 K, 1-1, 1.04 ERA
- #2 Rochester Luis Perdomo 9 G, 16.1 IP, 8 H, 2 BB, 16 K, 1-0, 0.55 ERA, 7 Saves
The July Minnesota Twins Minor League Relief Pitcher of the Month is...
Ft. Myers AJ Achter 9 G, 16.1 IP, 12 H, 1 BB, 18 K, 1-1, 0.55 ERA, 4 Saves
Last months relief pitcher of the month, Michael Tonkin, moved up to Ft. Myers about two weeks before AJ Achter did. Achter was pitching very well in Beloit, striking out 49 and walking just 12 in 40 innings. He was promoted to Ft. Myers where he has been even better. Achter was the Twins 46th round pick in 2010 out of Michigan State. Last year at Beloit, he was used exclusively as a starter. This year, he has been much better in the bullpen and seems to have found a role suited well for him!
There you have it. The top hitters and pitchers in the Twins system for the month of July. Now its time to debate. What do you think? Please feel free to discuss.