by, 06-29-2012 at 08:02 AM (799 Views)
Original post from North Dakota Twins Fan
After a rough series with the White Sox, the Twins had an off day on Thursday to enjoy the Harmon Killebrew Foundation Golf Tournament and other activities in the Twin Cities. The team will pick up play this weekend with four games against the Kansas City Royals and that includes a day-night doubleheader on Saturday. At this point last season, the Twins made a run to pull themselves a little closer before the All-Star Break and this series could do the same thing for this year's club.
Earlier in the week, a tragic piece of news came out of the organization. Paul Bargas, a 23-year old minor league pitcher in the Twins organization, passed away at far too young of an age. He came to the Twins from the Rockies as part of the Jose Morales deal a couple of seasons ago but he never pitched in the Twins system after being diagnosed with brain cancer. The Star Tribune did a wonderful piece on him in the winter and if there is one thing you read off of this list, it should be this article.
- One of the most exciting developments of the week has to be former Twins player Lew Ford joining the Twitter world.
- There could be plenty of teams looking to trade with the Twins in the next month and that includes the Rangers, the Blue Jays, and the Phillies.
- With Francisco Liriano's hot play in recent weeks, it's hard to imagine what his value would be on the trade market.
- After the Yankees lost two lefties out of their rotation, it might be time to get to business on a trade for Francisco Liriano.
- WWTD? (What will Terry do?) I'm glad you asked...
- The Phillies are shopping Jim Thome to AL teams but a return trip to the Twin Cities doesn't seem to make much sense.
- The Twins Daily crew is holding a "Fracas on the Field" event in August and it sounds like it will be a great evening of baseball related activities.
- Michael Cuddyer and the Rockies are near the bottom of the NL but it looks like the former Twins player won't be traded before the deadline.
- Do Valencia's shortcomings hasten the arrival of Sano? The short answer is no but he has plenty to work on in the next couple years.
- The first five rounds of the MLB Draft can make or break an organization and the Twins need some home runs out of the 2012 Class.
- The jersey worn by Don Larsen in the most famous perfect game in history is going to be up for auction.
- Some writers don't think Brian Dozier should still be in the majors after all of his struggles this season.
- Twins fans will remember the bad call made on the Joe Mauer hit down the line in the playoffs and now there was another bad call at Yankee Stadium.
- A minor league team lost a game in extra-innings after a player failed to touch the plate on a home run.
- MLB attendance is way up this season but the Twins have the biggest drop of any club in fans attending their games.
- Frank Viola's daughter, Brittany, made the US Olympic team as a diver and she is quite the athlete.
- Here is a video used during the competition where the younger Viola talks about her dad's time with the Twins.
- Who should be the Twins representative in the All-Star Game? There are a few candidates.
My Weekly Rundown:
- Monday: Searching for a Revere home run
- Tuesday: Tuesday Morning Tidbits
- Tuesday's Trip through the Minors
- Thursday: Filling out the 2012 All-Star Ballot
- Diamond and Plouffe talk to Season Ticket Holders
Video of the Week: Mike Trout made a tremendous catch earlier this week and you should check it out if you haven't seen it. It looked very similar to a famous catch made by Torii Hunter in the 2002 All-Star Game in Milwaukee. Granted Trout's was in a game that actually meant something but Hunter's catch was in front of a major audience. Both videos can be found at the link provided.