Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
  • Kyle Gibson Makes First Rehab Start

    • A ground ball to the shortstop for the first out.
    • A walk.
    • A ground ball to second base which was turned into an inning-ending double play.



    That may not seem like much to get overly excited about, but for Twins fans, it was a good day!

    For the first time since he was placed on the Disabled List on August 2, 2011, Kyle Gibson pitched off of a mound in a game on Tuesday morning. It may have been a 10:00 a.m. eastern time start time in the Gulf Coast League, but don’t let that minimize the huge milestone.

    The Twins used the 22nd overall pick in the 2009 draft to select Gibson, a right-handed pitcher from the University of Missouri. He climbed the ladder quickly, and in 2010 was named the organization’s minor league pitcher of the year when he began the year in Ft. Myers and ended it in Rochester. He began the 2011 season with the Red Wings and pitched well for two months, but then things started going south. Although he pitched in the Futures Game a year ago, something wasn’t right. His elbow was hurting and after a stretch of rough starts, he was put on the Disabled List. An MRI in early August showed a partial tear of his Ulnar Collateral Ligament, and after rehabbing for a month, he had Tommy John surgery on September 7, 2011.

    In early June, Gibson threw off of a mound for the first time and said it “went really good. Arm felt great!” He has gradually added more pitches to his mound sessions. Last Friday, he pitched some live batting practice. Following it, he tweeted that “it went about as well as I could hope for.”

    Which brings us to today. It was just one inning, but for Gibson, it was another key milestone passed with flying colors. In fact, according to the Pioneer Press’s John Shipley, assistant GM Rob Antony said that Gibson touched 94 mph during his one-inning stint.

    No one knows how players will return from Tommy John surgery. Pitchers like Tim Hudson and Billy Wagner came back in less than a year and were as good as ever. Others, such as Francisco Liriano, take longer to find their stuff again. Joe Mays was never able to regain his form. Knowing that, however, Kyle Gibson also knew and was aware of the path that Nationals starting pitcher Stephen Strasburg took after his surgery.

    Strasburg had his Tommy John surgery in September of 2010. Kyle Gibson had his Tommy John surgery in September of 2011. Strasburg made his first rehab appearance in early July, as has Gibson. Strasburg got back to the big leagues in September. If all goes well for Gibson in the next month, it is very possible that he will return to the Triple-A Rochester Red Wings and be right where he was being his injury. Who knows? A September call-up also remains an outside possibility.

    ---

    GCL Twins 5, GCL RED SOX 11


    The Gulf Coast Twins are the only Twins affiliate that played on All-Star game day. They had a 10:00 a.m. start time. Gibson started and worked the first inning. Yorman Landa gave up four runs (3 earned) on three hits and four walks in two innings. Hung Yi Chen gave up one run on three hits and a walk in his two innings. Markus Solbach gave up two runs on four hits in 1.1 innings. He was relieved by Trent Higginbotham who gave up four runs on four hits and two walks in 2.1 innings. Chris Mazza got the final out.

    Gibson wasn’t the only player rehabbing in this game. Rene Tosoni led off and went 0-3 with a walk while playing in left field. Javier Pimentel was 2-4 with his fourth and fifth doubles. Jose Ramirez went 2-3. Kelvin Ortiz went 2-4. Kelly Cross was 2-5.

    ---

    Games Scheduled for Wednesday, July 11, 2011

    Rochester Red Wings – All Star Game (Pedro Florimon)
    New Britain Rock Cats – All Star Game (BJ Hermsen, Chris Herrmann, Daniel Turpen)
    Ft. Myers @ Clearwater – RHP Tom Stuifbergen
    Beloit @ Ft. Myers – TBD
    Elizabethton @ Greeneville – TBD
    GCL Twins @ GCL Orioles - TBD

    This article was originally published in blog: Kyle Gibson Makes First Rehab Start started by Seth Stohs
    Comments 80 Comments
    1. diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
      diehardtwinsfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
      Why would it be good to have him in Rochester next year? He was ready this year, probably, pre-injury. Now he'll do rehab for almost half a year. Why wait another year, if he's ready?
      I'm not sure he was "ready." His peripherals looked great but the results did not match up. I'm not one to buy this as "unlucky" as much as I am that he still needed to work on a few things before the results start showing up in the stats. Now you have a major injury that essentially takes him out for a year adn typically takes another half season or so to develop. As such, I'd let him work those kinks out in Rochester... certainly if he's dominating you can rethink the issue, but expecting him to contribute in Minnesota come next year is not wise.
    1. minn55441's Avatar
      minn55441 -
      Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
      Last Twins starter that had TJ surgery was Francisco Liriano. He threw a combined 199.2IP in that first year back after 18 months or so of rehab & his arm was sound. Liriano problems have been command, not arm.
      Will be interesting if the do the same with Gibson & possibly Baker or take what I percieve as the wimp way out as Washington is

      Do you really think the Nationals will shut down Strasburg in the midst of a pennant race? I'll believe it when I see it. Every time I have heard Strasburg himself questioned about an innings limit this year he has responded that no one has spoken to him about it. In the long run it would probably be better for him, but that is sometimes a difficult decision to make. What is best for the long term development of the player vs what the team needs in the game today, tomorrow and the rest of the season.
    1. greengoblinrulz's Avatar
      greengoblinrulz -
      only cause they did the same with Jordan Zimmerman, tho it wasnt in a pennant race
      They pitched him 70.2 combined IP in 2010 & 160 in 2011. Dont believe it has to be so cut & dry but depending on how the circumstances are with the pitcher (performance, how seasons goin, is he tiring)
      Strasburg did 44.1 combined IP in his first year back last season....both had ACL surgeries about the same time of the yr (aug/sept) as Gibson.
      Again MNs history was to go fullbore with Liriano when he was back...we'll see next yr I guess
    1. kab21's Avatar
      kab21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
      I'm not sure he was "ready." His peripherals looked great but the results did not match up. I'm not one to buy this as "unlucky" as much as I am that he still needed to work on a few things before the results start showing up in the stats. Now you have a major injury that essentially takes him out for a year adn typically takes another half season or so to develop. As such, I'd let him work those kinks out in Rochester... certainly if he's dominating you can rethink the issue, but expecting him to contribute in Minnesota come next year is not wise.
      I think he was injured before he completely blew out his elbow and that probably explains the poor results. He had been shut down at one point IIRC. Here are his splits in 2011

      April - 3.15 ERA - 26% K rate - 5% BB rate
      May - 3.86 ERA - 26% K rate - 5% BB rate
      June - 5.17 ERA - 18% K rate - 9% BB rate
      July - 11 ERA - 11% K rate - 11% BB rate

      He was ready imo. Hopefully he can get back to that point and be a May/June callup next year.

      One other complaint in this thread - Why does Joe Mays name get brought up? Yes, he had TJ but he was awful before TJ. He's not an example of someone that didn't recover from TJ. He's somebody that wasn't as good as Blackburn that came crashing back to earth and TJ was blamed for his crash.
    1. greengoblinrulz's Avatar
      greengoblinrulz -
      Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
      I think he was injured before he completely blew out his elbow and that probably explains the poor results. He had been shut down at one point IIRC. Here are his splits in 2011

      April - 3.15 ERA - 26% K rate - 5% BB rate
      May - 3.86 ERA - 26% K rate - 5% BB rate
      June - 5.17 ERA - 18% K rate - 9% BB rate
      July - 11 ERA - 11% K rate - 11% BB rate

      He was ready imo. Hopefully he can get back to that point and be a May/June callup next year.

      One other complaint in this thread - Why does Joe Mays name get brought up? Yes, he had TJ but he was awful before TJ. He's not an example of someone that didn't recover from TJ. He's somebody that wasn't as good as Blackburn that came crashing back to earth and TJ was blamed for his crash.
      Mays was a one yr wonder (one yr..01.. was All Star yr tho) so I wouldnt degrade him that much, but he had really lost his stuff the 2 full yrs before the surgery
    1. kab21's Avatar
      kab21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
      Mays was a one yr wonder (one yr..01.. was All Star yr tho) so I wouldnt degrade him that much, but he had really lost his stuff the 2 full yrs before the surgery
      Joe Mays before surgery
      4.37 ERA
      5.56
      3.17
      5.38
      6.30
      surgery

      He was bad before his one good year and he was bad after. He shouldn't even be mentioned as someone that didn't make it back from TJ.

      Neither should Liriano. He came back from TJ surgery with his man weight. Does anybody remember/have the picture in spring training? The problem was that his man weight was 20-30 lbs of baby fat because he sat around eating Ho-hos instead of doing rehab. I really wish I had that photo. It pretty much explains my dislike for Liriano and it's not a surprise that he is absolutely awful at the beginning of every season.
    1. SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
      SpiritofVodkaDave -
      Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
      Do you really think the Nationals will shut down Strasburg in the midst of a pennant race? I'll believe it when I see it. Every time I have heard Strasburg himself questioned about an innings limit this year he has responded that no one has spoken to him about it. In the long run it would probably be better for him, but that is sometimes a difficult decision to make. What is best for the long term development of the player vs what the team needs in the game today, tomorrow and the rest of the season.
      All indications are that they will, IP is a weird thing to judge by, they should have a "pitch limit" if I were the Nationals I would find a reason to DL him for a couple weeks, then give him extra rest between starts(skip when they can). If I were them I would give him 11 more starts this season with capping the majority at 5 or 6 IP. Then you at least leave a few starts left for the playoffs if need be.

      Would be interesting if it came down to the playoffs if they would stick him in the pen (if he was right on that IP limit)
    1. greengoblinrulz's Avatar
      greengoblinrulz -
      Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
      Joe Mays before surgery
      4.37 ERA
      5.56
      3.17
      5.38
      6.30
      surgery

      He was bad before his one good year and he was bad after. He shouldn't even be mentioned as someone that didn't make it back from TJ.

      Neither should Liriano. He came back from TJ surgery with his man weight. Does anybody remember/have the picture in spring training? The problem was that his man weight was 20-30 lbs of baby fat because he sat around eating Ho-hos instead of doing rehab. I really wish I had that photo. It pretty much explains my dislike for Liriano and it's not a surprise that he is absolutely awful at the beginning of every season.
      I am agrreing with ya that Mays was horrible the 2 yrs before/after his all star yr....so he just got back to his bad yrs after TJ surgery.
      Liriano was excellent in his first yr back. His first 3 MN starts were horrible, but after rehabbing in ROC, his numbers after his recall were his best in his MN yrs.
      11 starts 6w 1L 65.2IP 59h .236BAA 2.74ERA 60k 19bb
      This was his best yr with the Twins since TJ surgery
    1. kab21's Avatar
      kab21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
      I am agrreing with ya that Mays was horrible the 2 yrs before/after his all star yr....so he just got back to his bad yrs after TJ surgery.
      Liriano was excellent in his first yr back. His first 3 MN starts were horrible, but after rehabbing in ROC, his numbers after his recall were his best in his MN yrs.
      11 starts 6w 1L 65.2IP 59h .236BAA 2.74ERA 60k 19bb
      This was his best yr with the Twins since TJ surgery
      Further evidence that Liriano isn't a great example of a pitcher that struggled because of TJ?
    1. Badsmerf's Avatar
      Badsmerf -
      So the point of this thread is that Gibson (and Baker IMO) contributing next year isn't out of the question.
    1. Mr. Ed's Avatar
      Mr. Ed -
      July 18

      Gibson allows double/single to first 2 batters in GCL Rehab start.

      then 4 straight ground outs, a soft liner to SS and another ground out.

      2IP 2H/2R
    1. greengoblinrulz's Avatar
      greengoblinrulz -
      Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
      Further evidence that Liriano isn't a great example of a pitcher that struggled because of TJ?
      Liriano's struggles have 100% been due to command ......not the TJ surgery.

      Terry Ryan said Gibson may have 1 (today) or 2 more GCL outings before heading to Ft Myers. He also debunked my thought that Gibson could earn a Sept callup to get himself more innings......thought was right tho as they will send him to instructional league to get more Sept innings & if all goes well, the AFL in Oct to get him around 75 IP he hopes.
    1. edavis0308's Avatar
      edavis0308 -
      Gibson maybe being able to make the starting rotation next year after coming off a severe arm surgery is just like making a trade.
    1. greengoblinrulz's Avatar
      greengoblinrulz -
      My prediction for next spring is Gibson goes to ROC for a month & after that he's the first one recalled.
      Blackburn, due only to money, is the 5th starter---team will say he's throwing like he did 3 yrs ago---but will get bludgeoned again by mid/late May & we see Gibson around June 1.....give or take. It will allow the team to monitor his innings in AAA & not create a panic if he has a bad outing.
    1. drjim's Avatar
      drjim -
      Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
      My prediction for next spring is Gibson goes to ROC for a month & after that he's the first one recalled.
      Blackburn, due only to money, is the 5th starter---team will say he's throwing like he did 3 yrs ago---but will get bludgeoned again by mid/late May & we see Gibson around June 1.....give or take. It will allow the team to monitor his innings in AAA & not create a panic if he has a bad outing.
      This. And its the right way to handle the situation. Because of the contract Blackburn will get one more chance and Gibson does need to have his innings monitored.
    1. darin617's Avatar
      darin617 -
      Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
      Gibson maybe being able to make the starting rotation next year after coming off a severe arm surgery is just like making a trade.
      This is the dumbest comment I have heard in a while. That is just a cheap team's excuse for not signing someone when they bring someone up through the system to plug a hole. The Twins are no longer a small market team and need to quit pretending so they can make the leap back to actually contending again in the future.
    1. Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
      Brock Beauchamp -
      Before calling someone's comment dumb, you should probably read their posts more closely to see if they're being snarky or not.

      I'm about 109% sure that edavis was joking with that comment.
    1. Badsmerf's Avatar
      Badsmerf -
      Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
      Gibson maybe being able to make the starting rotation next year after coming off a severe arm surgery is just like making a trade.
      You beat me to it.
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      I don't think that the Twins would start the season with Gibson in the rotation. I do think that he will be close to ready and could still be the first to be promoted.
    1. PseudoSABR's Avatar
      PseudoSABR -
      Righthander Kyle Gibson, on the comeback trail from Tommy John elbow ligament replacement surgery, threw a six-pitch scoreless inning on Saturday for the Gulf Coast League Twins in a 5-1 loss to the GCL Red Sox in Fort Myers, Fla., then threw about 15 more pitches in the bullpen.
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.