Recently, we have seen the “Adopt a Prospect” concept run on various team sites for baseball, and for hockey. We liked the ideas as well, and we want to bring it to Twins Daily. Here is what we were thinking. We use this thread to come up with any ideas or suggestions for this.
Then on Monday morning at 10:00 central time, we will set up a separate Forum section called Minnesota Twins Adopt-a-Prospect. Seth will initiate a forum in which Twins Daily members can “adopt” a player. The thread will determine who gets to adopt each player. However, each Twins Daily member can adopt just one prospect, and each prospect can only be adopted once. It will be first-come, first-serve, determined by the time of the post.
By Monday afternoon, Adoptees can start their Prospect’s thread in the Adopt-a-Prospect forum. There are nearly 200 Twins prospects, so there will be a lot of threads. That thread can go any which way, either as a news only update type thread or one with more discussion and observations. Hopefully people would be able to watch and share some videos, stats, local newspaper stories, etc., about their prospect.
What does everyone think? Possible success? Doomed for failure from the start?
The following are the rules for the Adopt-a-Prospect forum. If you don't believe you can abide by these rules... don’t Adopt-a-Prospect. These rules can be discussed and a final set of rules will be posted in Monday morning’s initial Adopt-A-Prospect thread.
1) The first post must be an introduction of the player. The format of the post is up to the individual, but please be sure to get all the important information needed on the player. For Example, Name, Position, Handedness, Drafted/Signed/Acquired (out of where/what round), Previous Stats, etc. Feel free to make it as detailed as you want. (There are a lot of websites you could link to such as their Baseball-Reference, The Baseball Cube, First Inning, Fan Graphs, etc.)
2) After the initial post (and throughout the season), you MUST update the thread AT LEAST once a week. If you fail to do this, the prospect will be taken away from you. [If a player is inactive due to injury or suspension, this requirement is waived as appropriate.]
If you would like to update more often, feel free. Updates should, at least, include Year-To-Date numbers for the player. The more information given, however, the better. Brag up your prospect!
3) Any major event (i.e. Promotion/Demotion/Trade/Perfect Game/4 HRs in one game...) must be reflected in the thread within a day of the event. Failure to update for this purpose may result in losing your adoptee.
4) Threads will be closed one week after a prospect has been traded out of the organization. However, if the player is traded back to the Twins (for some reason), the member who had the prospect will have the option to regain the prospect.
5) If a player is placed on the 25-man roster, this is wonderful news and you can continue that player’s thread. Reward for your player getting to the big leagues is that you can adopt a second prospect at that point. Even if the first player is eventually sent back to the minor leagues, you can maintain both prospect threads.
6) All other rules which are enforced on the main board will be enforced here.
What do you think?