Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
  • Monday in the Minors

    Twins minor league affiliates had not won a game since Friday. All four affiliates lost on Saturday. Rochester was the only team to play on Sunday, but they lost. On Monday, the Twins affiliates were back to their winning ways as all four teams won. Not only that, but some of the organization’s top prospects either continued to hit or broke out a little bit. Eddie Rosario, Brian Dozier and Danny Santana continued to rake. Meanwhile, Miguel Sano had a special day, and Levi Michael and Aaron Hicks put together their first really good games with the bat. Who knows what will happen tomorrow, but here is what happened in the minors on Monday (and that one Sunday game):

    ROCHESTER 3, BUFFALO 5 (SUNDAY)


    On Sunday, the Red Wings were the lone Twins affiliate that played. Cole DeVries got the start and gave up two runs on six hits in 3.2 innings. He walked two and struckout four. Jeff Manship came in and went 3.1 perfect innings, striking out four. Casey Fien gave up two runs on six hits (including a homer) in two innings. Rene Rivera went 2-3 with his first homer of the season. Brian Dozier was 1-3 with a walk.

    ROCHESTER 3, BUFFALO 2 (MONDAY)


    Brian Dozier was the big story again for the Red Wings on this night. Dozier went 2-4 with an RBI double and a two-run home run, giving the Red Wings the 3-2 win. Ray Chang was 2-4. Tsuyoshi Nishioka went 1-3 with a walk. The single gives him one hit in 16 at bats. Sam Deduno was solid in his first start. He gave up two runs on five hits and two walks in five innings. Carlos Gutierrez struckout three in two scoreless frames. Tyler Robertson pitched a scoreless 8th inning. Anthony Slama struckout two in a scoreless ninth to record his second save.

    NEW BRITAIN 6, HARRISBURG 3


    Alex Wimmers first start of the 2012 season was a huge improvement over his 2011 debut. In 4.1 innings, he gave up two runs on six hits. He walked two and struckout three. Deolis Guerra threw 2.2 innings without allowing a run. Daniel Turpen struckout two and walked on in two innings. He gave up one run. Aaron Hicks hit his first AA home run, a three run blast. He later added an RBI single. Deibinson Romero was 3-4 with his third double. Evan Bigley was 2-3 with his second double. Darin Mastroianni went 2-5 and stole two bases.

    FT. MYERS MIRACLE 3, JUPITER 1


    Adrian Salcedo started for the first time this season and although he was a little wild, it was a good start. The lanky right-hander gave up just one run on two hits in four innings. He walked three and struckout three. Edgar Ibarra gave up three hits but no runs in 2.2 innings. Ricky Bowen got the next four outs. Bruce Pugh recorded his first save, striking out two in one inning. Levi Michael had his first big game. He went 3-4. Josmil Pinto was 2-4 with his first double. Danny Santana was 2-4. Jairo Perez hit his first home run of the year.

    BELOIT 9, KANE COUNTY 7


    Miguel Sano has three hits in 13 at bats this season. The first was a grand slam, and on Monday, he hit a two-run homer and a three-run homer in lifting the Snappers to a win against the Cougars in Kane County. He had plenty of help on this day. Former Gopher AJ Pettersen went 3-4 with a triple. Eddie Rosario went 2-4 with a walk. He stole his second and third bases. Jhonathan Goncalves went 2-5. Rory Rhodes walked three times. Daniel Ortiz and Tyler Grimes each hit a double.

    Jason Wheeler made his professional debut on Monday. He gave up one run in a nervous first inning, but that was it. He went four innings and gave up five hits, walked one and struckout three. Matthew Tomshaw gave up three runs on five hits and a walk in 1.2 innings. Bart Carter gave up two runs on one hit and three walks in 1.1 innings. Michael Tonkin got the next four outs. Corey Williams recorded the save despite allowing one run on one hit in his inning. He struckout two.

    ---

    Players of the Day for Saturday, April 9, 2012

    Hitter of the Day – Miguel Sano (photo from Rinaldi Photo... follow them on Facebook!)


    Pitcher of the Day – Edgar Ibarra


    ---

    A Look Ahead – Tuesday, April 10, 2012 Schedule
    • Rochester @ Syracuse – 12:05 (CST) – RHP PJ Walters (vs Mets top pitching prospect Matt Harvey)
    • New Britain vs Harrisburg – 5:35 (CST) – LHP Luke French
    • Ft. Myers vs Jupiter – 6:05 (CST) – RHP Marty Popham
    • Beloit @ Kane County – 12:05 (CST) – RHP Matt Summers
    ---

    If you have any questions or comments on the Twins minor league system, players, teams, etc., leave them in the Comments and I’ll try to answer them!
    This article was originally published in blog: Monday in the Minors started by Seth Stohs
    Comments 11 Comments
    1. righty8383's Avatar
      righty8383 -
      The HR's from Sano are great. Nice to see him take a couple walks though too. I see Eddie Rosario is turning into quite a base stealer. I'm looking forward to what Matt Summers can do tomorrow as a starter.
    1. Bark's Lounge's Avatar
      Bark's Lounge -
      Yo Seth. Do you know if Aaron Hicks has made any adjustments to his game? Last year for him was a step backwards except for the AFL. I remember a few years back reading a well circulated baseball rag that he had the potential to be an "Eric Davis". That made me think of 25+ HR's and 40+ SB's. His stats do not indicate that will ever be truth, but to go out on that analytical limb had me a bit excited (Eric Davis would have had a HOF career if not for the injuries... he was a game changer). Where are you on the subject of Aaron Hicks?
    1. James Rivah Twins Fan's Avatar
      James Rivah Twins Fan -
      That's good to hear about Alex Wimmers. Let's hope it's only the beginning. These minor league roundups are terrific Seth--good work!
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
      Yo Seth. Last year for him was a step backwards except for the AFL. I remember a few years back reading a well circulated baseball rag that he had the potential to be an "Eric Davis". That made me think of 25+ HR's and 40+ SB's. His stats do not indicate that will ever be truth, but to go out on that analytical limb had me a bit excited (Eric Davis would have had a HOF career if not for the injuries... he was a game changer). Where are you on the subject of Aaron Hicks?
      Last year wasn't a step backwards for him. He advanced a level and certainly had ups and downs, but he made some adjustments. I was somewhat surprised that he is starting this year at New Britain because there is no rush with him yet. As for the 'potential', he still has the tools to become a 30 SB/20 HR type of guy. The guy has a world of potential.

      I'm still quite high on Hicks. He's down to earth. Very athletic, strong and fast. Defensively, he's already ready. Great defensive CF or RF with a rocket for an arm. Great patience at the plate. He's got very good speed. Will he ever be a .300 hitter? Probably not. Will he hit 30 HR? Probably not. But he should still be a very solid big leaguer.
    1. Teflon's Avatar
      Teflon -
      I enjoy reading your minor league recaps, Seth. Thanks for the reports!
    1. Han Joelo's Avatar
      Han Joelo -
      It's always nice when there are some positive to talk about in the Twins' organization. Thanks!
      Sano and Rosario and Dozier are nice, but obvious. It's nice to see a guy like Bigley stepping up. He's hitting well and the PO to Hermann sounded impressive for both guys--great throw, great catch, and impressive tag.
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      Be sure to check out Twins Fan From Afar's blog on Alex Wimmers' AA debut last night... http://www.twinsdaily.com/entry.php?...elongs-Up-Here
    1. BigVin's Avatar
      BigVin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
      I enjoy reading your minor league recaps, Seth. Thanks for the reports!

      Agree Completely! Love Seth's articles!
    1. mike wants wins's Avatar
      mike wants wins -
      Thanks Seth
    1. roger's Avatar
      roger -
      Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
      The HR's from Sano are great. Nice to see him take a couple walks though too. I see Eddie Rosario is turning into quite a base stealer. I'm looking forward to what Matt Summers can do tomorrow as a starter.
      Rosario has been a premier base stealer since he was signed. In his rookie professional season two years ago, he led the GCL in stolen bases.
    1. Obie's Avatar
      Obie -
      Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
      Last year wasn't a step backwards for him. He advanced a level and certainly had ups and downs, but he made some adjustments. I was somewhat surprised that he is starting this year at New Britain because there is no rush with him yet. As for the 'potential', he still has the tools to become a 30 SB/20 HR type of guy. The guy has a world of potential.

      I'm still quite high on Hicks. He's down to earth. Very athletic, strong and fast. Defensively, he's already ready. Great defensive CF or RF with a rocket for an arm. Great patience at the plate. He's got very good speed. Will he ever be a .300 hitter? Probably not. Will he hit 30 HR? Probably not. But he should still be a very solid big leaguer.
      The issue to watch is the left/right split. He has proven he can hit lefties, but he hasn't proven he can hit righties. Batting left-handed through his career has been a struggle. Thus, the fact that he hit a boomer and a solid single last night--as a right handed batter--doesn't speak to his progress. Until he can hit righties as a left handed batter, his future is questionable.
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.