Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
  • #Hangout and Talk Twins (4/1)

    Well, Opening Day didn't produce a win, but at least we know that for the next six months, we will have Minnesota Twins games to watch five to seven days a week.

    You also now that each Tuesday night, you can join Seth and I at 9:00 p.m. CST to talk about the Twins, their minor league affiliates and more. This week, we will recap the Twins Season Opener and preview the minor league affiliates. Click below to watch live. Interact with us by asking questions here, on Twitter or during the live show. It will also be available on iTunes tomorrow.



    As always, leave us your questions and/or comments.
    Comments 13 Comments
    1. lightfoot789's Avatar
      lightfoot789 -
      I'm excited about the Fort Myer Miracle this year. How many true potential MLBers do you see on this squad? Legitimate chance to make it or whom you see making it?
    1. lightfoot789's Avatar
      lightfoot789 -
      Do you believe in the clutch gene? How about Adam Brett Walker hitting a HR on the first pitch he saw in his only Spring Training Call Up (MLB) this past Saturday. He then follows that up with a Double and 3 apparent successful fielding plays in RF. Announcer said the ball went over the simulated Monster out the Stadium at Jet Blue Park.

      *Game tying HR in Appy League Championship 2012
      *3 Grand Slams in 2013 and 9-12 with bases loaded
      *HR and Double to spark comeback in first MLB action
      HE JUST WINS
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
      I'm excited about the Fort Myer Miracle this year. How many true potential MLBers do you see on this squad? Legitimate chance to make it or whom you see making it?
      Very good point. I think there are a lot of big leaguers in the roster. Consider, if Byron Buxton plays several games with the Miracle before moving up to New Britain, they could have this lineup:

      Byron Buxton CF
      Jorge Polanco 2B
      Max Kepler LF
      Adam Walker RF
      Dalton Hicks 1B
      Travis Harrison 3B
      Stuart Turner C
      Niko Goodrum SS
      Lance Ray/JD Williams DH

      No less than 8 of those guys have the potential to play in the big leagues.
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
      Do you believe in the clutch gene? How about Adam Brett Walker hitting a HR on the first pitch he saw in his only Spring Training Call Up (MLB) this past Saturday. He then follows that up with a Double and 3 apparent successful fielding plays in RF. Announcer said the ball went over the simulated Monster out the Stadium at Jet Blue Park.

      *Game tying HR in Appy League Championship 2012
      *3 Grand Slams in 2013 and 9-12 with bases loaded
      *HR and Double to spark comeback in first MLB action
      HE JUST WINS

      No, I don't believe in the Clutch Gene, but I do believe in Adam Walker and his power!
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      Oops! These questions are supposed to be answered on tonight's show... hey, maybe I'll change my mind by then... But, we'll still let Jeremy answer them and see what he thinks!
    1. Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
      Jeremy Nygaard -
      Sometimes Seth just gets too excited. I have my own opinions, which I will express tonight.
    1. Mr. Brooks's Avatar
      Mr. Brooks -
      Did we ever figure out what the H is going on with Rosario?
      Is this drug test failure then subsequent AWOL something we should be worried about long term? Or is it something as simple as miscommunication between either him and the team, or the team and the media?
    1. Dantes929's Avatar
      Dantes929 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
      No, I don't believe in the Clutch Gene, but I do believe in Adam Walker and his power!
      I agree that there is no clutch gene but do acknowledge that there are players that choke. Clutch to me means a player performs to his capabilities under pressure. That doesn't mean he won't strike out against Rivera but that his odds of pouncing on a mistake by Rivera are the same as they would be in a less tense situation. Puckett's and Jeter's (as well as Mauer by the way) stats in late close or tied games and in the playoffs are similar (but less probably due to better pitchers late) to their career stats overall but they were both really good hitters. One would think from all the comments in the Strib article that Kirby got a hit in every clutch situation especially the World Series. Does anyone remember how close that series was? Every at bat was a high pressure clutch situation. Kirby didn't hit .500 that series where everyone thinks he put them on his back. He hit .250. But Liebrandt hung a slider and Puckett owned the Series. This isn't to take anything away from Puckett. He was awesome. Just to put things into perspective. I think its awesome that Walker can perform well under pressure but if he is truly taking it up a notch then it begs the question of why can't he hit that well all the time.
    1. JB_Iowa's Avatar
      JB_Iowa -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
      Did we ever figure out what the H is going on with Rosario?
      Is this drug test failure then subsequent AWOL something we should be worried about long term? Or is it something as simple as miscommunication between either him and the team, or the team and the media?
      I think he and his agent have communicated with the team. He had what amounted to an "excused absence" on reporting late to ST (and ultimately didn't report at all).

      Now he is serving his suspension. I think the team is willing to keep what is going on private and simply has not said much to the media. That's their prerogative. I don't see any miscommunication.

      But maybe Seth and Jeremy have another viewpoint.
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
      Sometimes Seth just gets too excited. I have my own opinions, which I will express tonight.
      I LOVE answering prospect questions... and thinking about that Miracle lineup... I had no chance to ignore that for long!
    1. blairpaul715's Avatar
      blairpaul715 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
      Very good point. I think there are a lot of big leaguers in the roster. Consider, if Byron Buxton plays several games with the Miracle before moving up to New Britain, they could have this lineup:

      Byron Buxton CF
      Jorge Polanco 2B
      Max Kepler LF
      Adam Walker RF
      Dalton Hicks 1B
      Travis Harrison 3B
      Stuart Turner C
      Niko Goodrum SS
      Lance Ray/JD Williams DH

      No less than 8 of those guys have the potential to play in the big leagues.
      Seth probably has forgotten more about baseball than what I know, but I follow and love my Twins minor leaguers.......my two bits for what it is worth LOL is

      Buxton- OH YEA!!!!
      Polanco and Hicks - I personally say NO, but I hope all prospects do well.
      Kepler and Walker- Love Walkers power and Kepler looks smooth, I think one or both make it, but will not be star players.
      Harrison-for some reason is my favorite minor leaguer , well other than Buxton lol
      Goodrum- I don't see him making it to or past AA.
      JD Williams, Lance Ray, Stuart Turner- Know to little about these guys to make a semi educated guess.

      At Ft Myers, I really like Melotakis and Gilbert to make a splash at the big league level at some point. (not this yr)
    1. lightfoot789's Avatar
      lightfoot789 -
      If Hicks has a solid year - will it be because:
      A) He was sent down to AAA last year in latter part of season?
      B) He decided not to play Winter Ball and give his body and mind a rest?
      C) He had his trial by fire at the beginning of 2013 and learned from it?
      D) There are no other options
      Leading to my next question - Is failure based on trial by fire always a bad thing if the prospect knows it is a more likely probability? Learn from it and grow from your mistakes. Especially if your team is already bad to begin with. (Not the Twins in 2014, but definitely in 2013)
    1. Mr. Brooks's Avatar
      Mr. Brooks -
      Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
      I think he and his agent have communicated with the team. He had what amounted to an "excused absence" on reporting late to ST (and ultimately didn't report at all).

      Now he is serving his suspension. I think the team is willing to keep what is going on private and simply has not said much to the media. That's their prerogative. I don't see any miscommunication.

      But maybe Seth and Jeremy have another viewpoint.
      That has me worried. I was hoping it WAS as simple as a miscommunication. I knew he had an excused absence for reporting late, but thats something completely different than not reporting at all.
      Its hard for me to think of any non controversial reason, of the top of my head, that "go ahead and take a couple of days" would suddenly turn into "we'll see you in june".
      The fact that he was allowed, under the rules, to participate in ST, but chose or was told not to, seems like a pretty big deal, and a major red flag.
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.