• Ramirez to 7-Day DL, Herrmann recalled

    The Twins announced, following the Sunday afternoon game in Detroit, that outfielder Wilkin Ramirez will be put on the 7-day disabled list, a result of his collision in left centerfield on Saturday afternoon. To fill the roster spot they have promoted catcher-outfielder Chris Herrmann.

    Herrmann has struggled in AAA. Through 38 games, he has hit .238/.311/.285 (.589) with five doubles and a triple. Although he has primarily caught, he continues to get time in left field. When he was in Ft. Myers, he got some time in centerfield, but that is hardly an ideal situation. This means that the Twins really do not have a backup behind Aaron Hicks in centerfield.



    Interestingly, had this move been needed a day or two earlier, it likely would have been Joe Benson promoted, but he was lost on Saturday when he was claimed by the Rangers.

    Ramirez will likely undergo more testing and the team will evaluate him over the next seven days to determine his status.
    This article was originally published in blog: Ramirez to 7-Day DL, Herrmann recalled started by Seth Stohs
    Comments 34 Comments
    1. mike wants wins's Avatar
      mike wants wins -
      Good luck to him.
    1. Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
      Oldgoat_MN -
      Hmm.. Good for Chris. (.596 OPS) Hope this is a great experience for him.

      I wonder what is going through the mind of Clete Thomas right now. (1.024 OPS)
    1. greengoblinrulz's Avatar
      greengoblinrulz -
      Interesting as todays Star Tribune says the Twins announced it was NOT a concussion but a jaw injury. Guess you change the injury status when you need to.
      During todays game, Dick/Roy hinted strongly that MN may switch out a P for a position player for the MIL series. Immediately thought of Hermann as it allows Doumit to actually be used as PH without Gardy's fear of losing a C (altho an in-game injury to a C hasnt happenned to MN since 06---Mike Redmond in KC). Wonder if there is another (Clete Thomas??) as Chris Parmellee is the backup CF now. However, with Arcia's AAA injury today (shoulder)....ROC doesnt have the players to keep a roster themselves.
    1. YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
      YourHouseIsMyHouse -
      Not a deserved callup, but it's an ok move for me. They need to see if Herrmann can actually cut it in the major leagues (which I highly doubt). It's a brief move, but minus well give him a try because the other members of Rochester's lineup are old journeymen.
    1. greengoblinrulz's Avatar
      greengoblinrulz -
      Hermann didnt 'earn' it by any means, but this is probably a 2 or 3 day thing till Plouffe is back.
      Hermann is a better than average OF who played 11 gms in CF in 2011, so thats an option in a pinch.
      Mainly, its to allow Doumit to PH without Gardy losing his mind about losing his C.
      He will probably not even see game time as the emergency 3rd string C
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      It's a 7 Day move in which he may play 2-3 games. Can't make anything out of that.
    1. jorgenswest's Avatar
      jorgenswest -
      Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
      Hmm.. Good for Chris. (.596 OPS) Hope this is a great experience for him.

      I wonder what is going through the mind of Clete Thomas right now. (1.024 OPS)
      In the major league context OPS stabilizes at 500 plate appearance. The increased variability of AAA likely means that number is greater.

      He has 107 plate appearances this year. That isn't near enough to believe that he changed from the player we saw last year. He has nearly 1500 AAA plate appearances and 472 major league plate appearances that point to an OPS in the majors of somewhere a little above 700. His range and good arm point to RF as his best position. There would likely be some drop in range if he were to be the Twins regular CF.

      So, yes, the Twins can call up Thomas. They would be fools to think he can perform much better than he has in his previous shots in the majors.
    1. Shane Wahl's Avatar
      Shane Wahl -
      Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
      It's a 7 Day move in which he may play 2-3 games. Can't make anything out of that.
      Cheers for Chris. Who knows what they would have done to the 40-man roster next if calling up Richardson or Thomas.

      Um, can I adopt another prospect for 7 days and provide 2-3 posts?

      Actually someone like Aderlin Mejia might be worth that glimpse.
    1. Thrylos's Avatar
      Thrylos -
      Herrmann had a horrible start in AAA. He has been warming up. The last week he has been hitting .316 with a .435 OBP. One of the hottest AAA bats, so it does make sense he is the one up. And he will probably go down when Plouffe comes off the 7-day DL, so it is not really for the full week likely.
    1. clutterheart's Avatar
      clutterheart -
      Why not Arcia?
      Never mind, just saw he got hurt
      Uhg
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
      Why not Arcia?
      Never mind, just saw he got hurt
      Uhg
      He needs to play. And, now his shoulder is hurt.
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      Sorry... responded as u submitted edits.
    1. Shane Wahl's Avatar
      Shane Wahl -
      I noticed and noted this the other day and reiterated in the Herrmann thread today. In 51 at bats during the day this year, Herrmann's OPS is .352. In 100 at bats at night he is .290/.360/.360 (.720).

      First, what the hell? Even with a smallish sample size, that is a dramatic difference. What can explain that? (I am not going to try to control for other variables like . . . catching days games after playing the night before, whether there were a bunch of day games in some two week period where he really struggled, etc.).

      Second, that changes the apprehensiveness of that .596 OPS somewhat. The night numbers are really not that different from what I would have expected of him, other than about 30 points of slugging.
    1. fairweather's Avatar
      fairweather -
      I'll take Hermann over Butera.
    1. Thrylos's Avatar
      Thrylos -
      Another thing, as information starts to trickle from Detroit:

      The Twins' medical staff, yesterday said that Ramirez was fine but had a sore jaw. Today, he woke up dizzy and was seen by Detroit's doctor who made the correct concussion diagnosis...


      FYI
    1. Mr. Brooks's Avatar
      Mr. Brooks -
      Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
      I noticed and noted this the other day and reiterated in the Herrmann thread today. In 51 at bats during the day this year, Herrmann's OPS is .352. In 100 at bats at night he is .290/.360/.360 (.720).

      First, what the hell? Even with a smallish sample size, that is a dramatic difference. What can explain that? (I am not going to try to control for other variables like . . . catching days games after playing the night before, whether there were a bunch of day games in some two week period where he really struggled, etc.).

      Second, that changes the apprehensiveness of that .596 OPS somewhat. The night numbers are really not that different from what I would have expected of him, other than about 30 points of slugging.
      Does he have blue eyes?
      And yes, I am being serious. People laugh, but it's legit.
    1. YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
      YourHouseIsMyHouse -
      Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
      I'll take Hermann over Butera.
      You may need a MRI for that crazed line of thinking. An injured Butera is still leaps and bounds ahead of any MLB player I can manage to think of.
    1. greengoblinrulz's Avatar
      greengoblinrulz -
      Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
      Another thing, as information starts to trickle from Detroit:

      The Twins' medical staff, yesterday said that Ramirez was fine but had a sore jaw. Today, he woke up dizzy and was seen by Detroit's doctor who made the correct concussion diagnosis...


      FYI
      Almost too humorous to laugh about. Plouffe was diagnosed with concussion, but passed his test a couple days later. Wonder if he'll be activated WED @ home & Hermann goes back.
    1. TheLeviathan's Avatar
      TheLeviathan -
      Medical staff defenders....you're needed. It wasn't too sad for me to laugh...I laughed out loud when I read that.
    1. kab21's Avatar
      kab21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
      It's a 7 Day move in which he may play 2-3 games. Can't make anything out of that.
      I'm not even sure that Hermann will play and that's why he was the guy called up imo.
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.