• Baseball Season is Upon Us

    While the frost persists in the north, the sun is shining here in Fort Myers and I wanted to give everyone an update on whatís going on. Baseball season always seems far away when the snow is falling, but it is right around the corner. Pitchers and catchers reported for big league camp today and minor league camp is coming up.

    I have been rehabbing my wrist here for the past month to get fully prepared for Spring Training and the season. A few of my friends and teammates from last season have shown up to start their training. Maybe you have heard of Miguel Sano? Along with Sano are Kennys Vargas and Eddie Rosario (who is preparing for the WBC). They have added some more fun to the clubhouse. There is a mix of pitchers and position players on the minor league side.
    A number of big leaguers have shown up in the past week and it has been cool to meet and chat with a few of them. Learning from those playing at the top is a great way to get better. It has been cool to spend some time working out alongside them.



    We have a consistent schedule Monday through Friday starting in the morning with rehab, followed by throwing, hitting, defensive work and lifting. We are usually at the field from around 7:30 until 12:30 or 1.

    There have been a few early visitors at the complex seeking autographs and conversation. If you are looking to escape the cold weather, I can assure you the weather is great in Fort Myers. We have seen hardly anything but sunshine for a month.

    If you do plan on visiting Spring Training, try checking out the minor league side as well. We are right across the parking lot from Hammond Stadium. If you see me, come say hello. I love interacting with everyone and would love to chat with you. I can even introduce you to some of the bigger names at minor league camp.

    This is just a quick look into whatís going on here in Fort Myers. I hope it gives people a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel that is a Minnesota winter. Get ready for baseball season because itís coming soon!

    Follow me on Twitter @APettersen1
    This article was originally published in blog: Baseball Season is Upon Us started by AJPettersen
    Comments 13 Comments
    1. ashburyjohn's Avatar
      ashburyjohn -
      Man, now I wish I was going to Fort Myers this year instead of last; I would definitely take you up on your offer of hospitality around the minor league fields.
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      Thanks again, AJ! I really enjoy you letting us live vicariously through you. I probably won't make it to Ft. Myers this spring unfortunately, but I can't quite so for sure that I won't either because AJ and a lot of the other Twins prospects are really great, very fan-friendly, and I'm glad that the Twins encourage that.
    1. Badsmerf's Avatar
      Badsmerf -
      Nice job AJ. It would be awesome to get regular articles like this from you. It really is amazing that we are able to connect so easily in our generation.
    1. LewFordLives's Avatar
      LewFordLives -
      Am heading down there next weekend for the opening exhibition games. I've been to most of the camps in South Florida and I still like the Twins camp the best. The ability to take a seat in the shade right in between all the minor league fields is something we take for granted. Last year we met some friends up in Clearwater at the Phillies camp and they close off the back fields to the general public. Plus the Twins camp is less than a half hour drive to get ribs at Michelbob's!
    1. roger's Avatar
      roger -
      Thanks for the update A.J. Expect it is nice settling into spring training after an exciting fall/winter. Have a great season!
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      Plus the Twins camp is less than a half hour drive to get ribs at Michelbob's!
      Best place EVER!!!
    1. AJPettersen's Avatar
      AJPettersen -
      Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
      Nice job AJ. It would be awesome to get regular articles like this from you. It really is amazing that we are able to connect so easily in our generation.
      Thanks! I'm glad I get to connect through this site!
    1. AJPettersen's Avatar
      AJPettersen -
      Quote Originally Posted by LewFordLives View Post
      Am heading down there next weekend for the opening exhibition games. I've been to most of the camps in South Florida and I still like the Twins camp the best. The ability to take a seat in the shade right in between all the minor league fields is something we take for granted. Last year we met some friends up in Clearwater at the Phillies camp and they close off the back fields to the general public. Plus the Twins camp is less than a half hour drive to get ribs at Michelbob's!
      If you are at the complex in the morning or early afternoon you should look for us on the minor league side!
    1. AJPettersen's Avatar
      AJPettersen -
      Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
      Thanks for the update A.J. Expect it is nice settling into spring training after an exciting fall/winter. Have a great season!
      Thanks Roger. It's definitely nice and the weather is great!
    1. glunn's Avatar
      glunn -
      A.J., I very much appreciate all of your posts. I am sending positive energy to your rehabbing wrist.
    1. JB_Iowa's Avatar
      JB_Iowa -
      Have a great season. Hope your wife is enjoying your relocation to Florida as well (okay, its cold and snowy in Minnesota -- kind of hard to think she wouldn't be liking the sunshine!) Thanks for all your posts over the last year -- it's always fun to read about your life in baseball (and outside it too).
    1. AJPettersen's Avatar
      AJPettersen -
      Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
      A.J., I very much appreciate all of your posts. I am sending positive energy to your rehabbing wrist.
      Thanks!
    1. AJPettersen's Avatar
      AJPettersen -
      Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
      Have a great season. Hope your wife is enjoying your relocation to Florida as well (okay, its cold and snowy in Minnesota -- kind of hard to think she wouldn't be liking the sunshine!) Thanks for all your posts over the last year -- it's always fun to read about your life in baseball (and outside it too).
      We love it here. Just got back from the pool! I am glad you are enjoying my articles, I will keep them coming for sure.
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.