Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
  • Twins Promote Eduardo Escobar and Luis Perdomo as September Callups

    Per a tweet by Pioneer Press beat reporter John Shipley, the Twins are only calling up two players as September callups. Eduardo Escobar, a middle-infielder acquired when the Twins traded Francisco Liriano, and Luis Perdomo, a right-handed reliever who pitched for the Twins earlier this year, will join the Twins tomorrow.

    This means that shortstop Brian Dozier, who spent most of the year with the Twins, and reliever Anthony Slama, who gave up just four earned runs in Rochester this year, will not be joining the Twins. It also means two top prospects from New Britain (AA), Aaron Hicks and Oswaldo Arcia, will also not be on the team. It also means the Twins have three open spots on their 40-man roster.
    Comments 69 Comments
    1. COtwin's Avatar
      COtwin -
      I disagree. I think many of the posters on this site knew that this season was lost in April and May. We have wanted call-ups to see what we have for the future. If the guys we have up are underperforming journeyman, why not see an underperforming prospect. I actually agree with Perdomo call up as long as he sees some consistent innings. Escobar could very well be a utility type, but don't we have four of those up now. Dozier should have been brought up in my opinion, for the very purpose of trying to right the ship that is his season. I have said this before, Carrolll needs to not see such consistent innings. I think that someone close to him needs to tell Gardy that Utility types don't play everyday. Especially Old, Expensive, Defined utility types. Slama, I agree with everyone else.
    1. Shane Wahl's Avatar
      Shane Wahl -
      The thing about Carroll is that he is going ape right now. The dude somehow hit a home run yesterday. This could have been used in April and May instead, certainly! The complaint about Dozier is not simply about not getting called up. It is about the total mismanagement of him this year. They promoted him without giving him a chance to work out in AAA first (after doing great in A and very good in AA), then they kept him around when he was clearly overmatched, then they sent him down, oddly, with only a few weeks left in the Rochester season, and now they have ended his season without him doing anything! That's inept and/or insane.

      Furthermore, Escobar has never been good offensively in the minors. Unlike Dozier, he has demonstrated no offensive prowess ever in the minors. I am also confused about his defense . . . where is he going to play? I thought he was a SS, but apparently he is more like a 3B/2B utility type. That's not very good. I see him as potentially replacing Jamey Carroll in 2014 in what hopefully is Carroll's 2013 role (utility man). That means AAA time and probably what should have been AFL time.

      Trying out a Florimon-Dozier MI would have been worth seeing, clearly. That is obviously true.
    1. StormJH1's Avatar
      StormJH1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by COtwin View Post
      I disagree. I think many of the posters on this site knew that this season was lost in April and May. We have wanted call-ups to see what we have for the future. If the guys we have up are underperforming journeyman, why not see an underperforming prospect. I actually agree with Perdomo call up as long as he sees some consistent innings. Escobar could very well be a utility type, but don't we have four of those up now. Dozier should have been brought up in my opinion, for the very purpose of trying to right the ship that is his season. I have said this before, Carrolll needs to not see such consistent innings. I think that someone close to him needs to tell Gardy that Utility types don't play everyday. Especially Old, Expensive, Defined utility types. Slama, I agree with everyone else.
      Yeah, I agree with all of this. In the case of Slama, I feel like time is just ticking away. Maybe this guy has just found some useful niche or trick to getting hitters out, in ways that defy traditional logic. People felt like that about Neshek when he came up, except there was a clearer explanation for that based on his unusual delivery. Well, Slama's pretty consistently gotten hitters out at an alarmingly effective rate, except he's been asked only to do that in AAA. I do disagree that most posters here assume Slama will be average. Slama's "stuff" is decidedly average, but his minor league results have been anything but. And until he gets an extended opportunity (even in mop-up ball) to try and fail, how can we make ANY assumptions about him?

      As for the call-ups, I think it's a real problem if you continue to fill out lineup cards with Jamey Carroll and Alexi Casilla BOTH in the lineup, when most people assume that the former will be here next year for sure, while the latter very likely may not. If that's the case, what are you trying to prove? We know what Casilla is - I happen to think he's undervalued as a utility player, but if the team decides to move on from him in favor of a Dozier or Florimon, then so be it. But those guys need to PLAY, and so do your other options. Carroll's never really played a full season as a starter anyway, and that's not what he was acquired for. I want to evaluate guys that could have a role here next year because I'm not so sure they'll go out and make another IF signing. Heck, if not Dozier, why not try Mastroianni at 2B in the bigs?
    1. toma's Avatar
      toma -
      Next season, the Twins will likely bring 8 RHP starter candidates, some of them will make the rotation, some of them may be optioned or released, but probably 2 of these candidates will end up in the bullpen. They may also decide they want to bring Baker back but they don't want to rush him into alot of innings and he may end up in the bullpen. Under these circumstances, I don't think Slama will break Spring Training with the club. The root issue is without consistent starting pitching, the team will hide starting pitcher candidates in the bullpen, AAA, AA. This will shut Slama off of the active roster and it is doubtful he will be added to the 40-man roster unless the team decides he is a candidate to start.
    1. USAFChief's Avatar
      USAFChief -
      How many MLB teams put themselves in a position where, down 4-2 in the 9th with a runner on, both Jamie Carroll and Alexi Casilla have to hit for themselves because there isnt a long ball threat on the bench...AFTER September call ups?

      What a joke this franchise has turned into.
    1. Shane Wahl's Avatar
      Shane Wahl -
      Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
      How many MLB teams put themselves in a position where, down 4-2 in the 9th with a runner on, both Jamie Carroll and Alexi Casilla have to hit for themselves because there isnt a long ball threat on the bench...AFTER September call ups?

      What a joke this franchise has turned into.
      Haha, I know. Chris Colabello, Deibinson Romero, Evan Bigley . . . for guys they could have called up for that. Or, not using Doumit when they did (forcing Thornton to come in and then having to turn Doumit around!? and not using Matt Carson as a pinch RUNNER).
    1. peterb18's Avatar
      peterb18 -
      Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
      How many MLB teams put themselves in a position where, down 4-2 in the 9th with a runner on, both Jamie Carroll and Alexi Casilla have to hit for themselves because there isnt a long ball threat on the bench...AFTER September call ups?

      What a joke this franchise has turned into.
      USAChief has got this right. I remember listening to Baseball America(XM radio) this spring, and a caller from Iowa asked about the Twins. The hosts said they couldn't figure out the Twins. They said that when a team has 94 wins(two years ago), most clubs would try and take the next step and add players. But the Twins chose to go the other way and not sign players, etc. Therefore, improvement depends upon the Pohlads. When they decide to have a winning team again, we will, most likely, have one!
    1. JP3700's Avatar
      JP3700 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
      The thing about Carroll is that he is going ape right now. The dude somehow hit a home run yesterday. This could have been used in April and May instead, certainly! The complaint about Dozier is not simply about not getting called up. It is about the total mismanagement of him this year. They promoted him without giving him a chance to work out in AAA first (after doing great in A and very good in AA), then they kept him around when he was clearly overmatched, then they sent him down, oddly, with only a few weeks left in the Rochester season, and now they have ended his season without him doing anything! That's inept and/or insane.

      Furthermore, Escobar has never been good offensively in the minors. Unlike Dozier, he has demonstrated no offensive prowess ever in the minors. I am also confused about his defense . . . where is he going to play? I thought he was a SS, but apparently he is more like a 3B/2B utility type. That's not very good. I see him as potentially replacing Jamey Carroll in 2014 in what hopefully is Carroll's 2013 role (utility man). That means AAA time and probably what should have been AFL time.

      Trying out a Florimon-Dozier MI would have been worth seeing, clearly. That is obviously true.
      Dozier isn't the only one who's been mismanaged. Escobar played everyday for years and for some reason this year he was turned into a guy who got less than one AB a day at age 23. Ask guys like Parmelee or even a comparable guy like Casilla how tough that transition is.

      As far as Dozier showing offensive prowess compared to Escobar, yes he put up better numbers at A-AA ball but keep in mind Dozier was 3 years older at every comparable level Escobar was at. I'm not saying Escobar will ever be a good batter, but I do think Dozier's numbers are inflated given his age vs. level and it obviously has caught up to him.

      As for Escobar's position, he is a SS that can play 2B and 3B. In 2011 he was Chicago's number 5 ranked prospect. He had just put up respectable numbers as a 21 year old in AA and was quoted to be a wizard at SS. His comparison was to Erick Aybar who I would take as my everyday SS in a heartbeat.

      The fact that some people are considering Florimon our SS of the future to me is a joke when Escobar is 2 years younger, is as good defensively, and put up slightly better numbers offensively in his full season at AAA at age 22 compared to Florimon at age 25. I'm not saying he's the solution but he deserves more of a shot than Florimon does..
    1. LaBombo's Avatar
      LaBombo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
      Pretty interesting, almost humorous, reading the discussion on who was or wasn’t called up. All season long posters have wanted the Twins to make moves to get better but now they outraged because a guy (Slama) that everybody agrees is pretty average wasn’t rewarded....
      It's hard to imagine how somebody can think that even an "average" reliever can't possibly offer anything of value to an organization that gave 52 innings of 'relief' work to Jeff Gray, and another 52 to the law firm of Maloney, Manship, and Robertson. And there's hardly universal agreement that Slama could never put together a season that's a tick above average.

      And if second-guessing the Twins' callups seems trivial to you, just remember that the organization you've invested your blind faith in has brought this on themselves by following up a 99 loss season with another stink bomb effort and a promise by Ryan that virtually nothing will change. In other words, wtf else is there to talk about? The incredibly stupid 'Mauer waived!' story?
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.