Random thoughts from the Twins' Opening Day game
by, 04-06-2012 at 04:55 PM (699 Views)
Originally posted at The Tenth Inning Stretch
Not necessarily in any order. Just notes I was making while watching the game:
- Luke Hughes was the emergency backup Catcher? Say what? I thought that it would had been Josh Willingham who actually caught before. And (I did double check) Luke has played in every position of the field in pro ball(including P) but C.
- Mauer and GIDP are not a good combination. So are Pavano and his 86 mph "fast"ball, esp when it ends up at the seats.
- The early innings reminded me a bit of last season when the Twins were making heroes out of no-name opposing pitchers. Arrieta's curveball is pretty nasty though. Helps opposing pitchers having perfect games through the first time in the order.
- Nice play by Carroll in the middle of the 3rd. Nice and steady. I don't think that Nishioka makes that play. And then he makes another one
- Memo to Denard Span: Please please do not get picked off first again. Paying attention helps
- Good to see Morneau get a hit at the 4th after Mauer hit a rocket to the Centerfielder
- I think that Pavano's pitching to contact with those soft-tosses will get too old too soon
- Great diving play by Parmelee on the bottom of the 5th. He is learning
- Pavano's breaking junk is working better than his (not so) fastball. Got to throw more of that. And nice D play by Valencia. I just hope they come back with a few runs. That sounds like a broken record from last season, I know...
- Surprise: Pavano does not irritate me any less than he did last season.
- And that Doumit and Span play was vintage Mike Cuddyer; Carroll is ok with the glove
- Nice catch and throw out at the plate by Willingham. Revere does not do that (the throwing out part)
- The Twins look like they are picking up from where they left last season. Not. Too. Good.
- Burroughs in to PH for Casilla. Lazy fly on the first pitch he saw. Not. Too. Good. Especially with a guy who cannot find the zone. Big mistake to not let Casilla draw a walk there. Even more interesting to see Plouffe instead of Luke Hughes as the Defensive replacement at second.
- That "close" play at 1st was not even close. Davis was off the bag. Way off the bag. When he caught the ball
- Jeff Gray reminds me of Dusty Hughes. A lot. Only he is right handed. And Gardy burns yet another pitcher in a meaningless game. And a good one (Duensing.)
- Good to see that Josh Willingham HR on top of the 9th! Made things interesting. Questionable called strike 3 against Doumit, Parmelee comes through and Plouffe up. Also interesting to see Revere PR for Parmelee. Unfortunately Plouffe hits a double play ball.
- At little better than it could be. Still disappointing to lose, but let's get the next ones. Tomorrow is another day.