by, 03-09-2012 at 08:12 AM (638 Views)
It was a fun week for Twins fans as the first spring training games of the season were broadcast on television. This gave people their first view of the players who will comprise the roster of the 2012 version of the Twins. One of the fun things about spring training games is that a variety of fringe members for the 25-man roster are fighting for their chance to make it to the big leagues. Some players will succeed and others will fail but that is part of life as a professional baseball player.
Below you will find this week's collection of links. The great thing about being in the middle of spring training is there is plenty of coverage from the various media outlets that send staff down to the warmer climate areas. Enjoy the links and have a fantastic weekend.
- Earlier this week marked the sixth anniversary of one of the saddest days in Twins history. Rest in peace number 34.
- Lindsay Guentzel, a Minneapolis native, is one of the nine finalists who will be spending the entire MLB season in NYC as part of the MLB Fan Cave.
- Twins Rubes asked an interesting question, "Is Nick Punto a 'Winner'"?
- Seth Stohs tries to prove to Twins fans that there is plenty of upper-level talent in the minor league system of the Twins.
- Stohs also wrote about the passing of former Twins player Dan Mincher.
- MLB 12: The Show came out earlier this week and The Common Man has a good review over at The Platoon Advantage.
- Twins blogger and NBC writer Aaron Gleeman has lost 150 pounds in the last year and he shared his remarkable story.
- Speaking of losing weight, Justin Morneau ranks among the top MLB players who lost weight from last season to the start of this year.
- Andrew from Twins Fan From Afar tried to evaluate what Mauer's off-the-field value is to the Twins.
- Former Twins player Carlos Silva was trying to make the rotation for the Red Sox but a shoulder injury looks to have put him out of the running.
- If you haven't seen the Marlin's home run display, here is a picture and it is already drawing citicism from players.
- If you had to guess a rookie of the year candidate from the Twins, would it be a pitcher?
- AJ Pettersen, a Twins minor leaguer, shared his thoughts on the beginning of spring training from his prospective.
- This article about Hack Wilson's season in 1930 has a lot of comparisons to Kirby Puckett in it.
- The folks at Crashburn Alley put together an interesting piece about creating the ultimate roster that could win the next 10 World Series.
- David Price suffered a strange injury for the Rays and it isn't the first time he has suffered this kind of pain.
- The White Sox might have AJ Pierzynski bat second in their line-up. So much for speed at the top.
- In other AL Central news, the Tigers are going to score a lot of runs this year.
- Apparently Bobby Valentine tried to warn Nishioka about guys sliding into him at second base but the young man must have forgot to listen.
My Weekly Rundown
- Monday: Span continues to be tested this spring
- Tuesday: Will skinnier Morneau mean more production?
- Wednesday: Who gets the 40-man spot left by Zumaya?
- Giolito suffers elbow injury, ends high school career
- Thursday: Contending or not, Liriano could be gone
Video of the Week: The fine people over at 1500 ESPN went through the trouble to put microphones on Denard Span and Drew Butera in a recent Twins workout. The results were quite entertaining and I think you will enjoy the clip.
Original Post from NoDakTwinsFan.com