Jump to content

Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Forums

Front Page: Hot Corner Consideration: Potential Third Bas...

Minnesota Twins Talk Today, 10:21 PM
Inside the Twins’ meeting rooms this winter, plenty of discussion will be focused on starting pitching. However, third base should be a s...

2019 MLB (Non-Twins) Postseason Discussion Thread

Other Baseball Today, 10:26 PM
Here's thread for general (non-Twins) 2019 MLB postseason discussion!

Casey at the Bat (Metrics Version)

Other Baseball Today, 10:17 PM
I purloined this from WAPO. A modern version of an old classic. https://www.washingt...nl_ideas&wpmm=1

Front Page: Dealing with Wheeler Gets Minnesota an Ace

Minnesota Twins Talk Today, 06:18 PM
This offseason the Minnesota Twins chief focus is going to be on acquiring impact pitching. The front office has suggested as much, and w...

Plan to reduce minor league teams

Twins Minor League Talk Today, 05:41 PM
https://www.nytimes....ue-changes.html   https://www.baseball...r-league-teams/   It would appear that MLB must be thinking the...

Photo

The DJ At Target Field

Posted by Dome Dogg , 08 October 2019 · 707 views

Wondering what fans at Game Three thought of the nightclub atmosphere at the game last night. I thought having a DJ playing "sick beats" and loud, thumping bass for four hours was really grating... but I am an old soul.

Last season I really enjoyed my trip to Wrigley to see the Twins play. The PA guy wasn't shouting, the music wasn't blaring and the fans didn't need their hands held the entire game to know if/when to MAKE NOISE.

Personally, I think a DJ/pump-up music guy is cool for the pregame but holy cow did that get old after a while last night.

Again, maybe I'm just old so I am wondering what others thought.

• mikelink45, Hosken Bombo Disco, Platoon and 3 others like this

I honestly think that different broadcasts pick up ambient stadium sound more than others. I barely noticed it whenever it was on FSN, but the national broadcasts in the regular season and playoffs, I noticed it more.

It doesn't really bother me, I usually tune it out and barely hear it.

Photo
SpicyGarvSauce
Oct 08 2019 02:22 PM

Welcome to the new age of ballparks. A lot of places have started to go the route of Dodger Stadium, which I think is a pretty cool atmosphere. But I get the traditional sense and think that should still be part of the game day experience.

• Dome Dogg and Bomba2026 like this
Photo
tarheeltwinsfan
Oct 08 2019 03:31 PM

I like the organ music of the 1950's.

• Hosken Bombo Disco and Dome Dogg like this
I remember being at Dodger Stadium in the 90's when the 5th inning was the Macarena, there was a wild fire burning on the hill on the 4th of July and I was freaking out and my row mates were calm as ever...bought me a beer! Piazza Karros and Mondesi and Tommy Lasorda brought the humor and hits. Great stadium to visit as was old Busch Stadium in the McGwire/Sosa days....I love Baseball!
    • Dome Dogg likes this

Game #3 I felt like I was at US Bank Stadium at a Viking game.The music was so loud (okay I'm 53), I wish I would have brought ear plugs (several of the concession people were wearing them)It was a great playoff atmosphere though and for special games like that, it's something I can deal with.If every Twins game had it, I would have a problem with it.

• Hosken Bombo Disco and Dome Dogg like this
Photo
Hosken Bombo Disco
Oct 09 2019 10:51 AM
I wonder how much input MLB had in it, that is, is it a national decision? If it’s just a local decision, I wish they would stop it.

In the Metrodome, the Twins had a rock band out in left field for a very short time, circa 1999-2000. It didn’t last long.
Photo
Fritzderkat
Oct 09 2019 04:04 PM

Way, way too loud for old folks and babies. In fact I doubt if anyone would miss it if they just cut it out. Same goes for the organ. Since it goes back to antiquity in baseball lore, I would support the between-inning organ breaks, but I really wish she'd play some new riffs. Anything, actually, than the ones she plays now.

• theBOMisthebomb likes this
I have first hand experience in this matter. While coaching a youth team in the championship game for our local league. Apparently the game coincided with a local town celebration, and the Over 60 municipal band decided to play at the park. They chose as their location the bleachers behind the third base bench. Apparently unawares of baseball etiquette they would play during an ongoing at bat, or any other action that got in their way. You could not hear the umpires balls and strikes, you could not hear the ball hit the bat, and you could not converse with your players. I finally asked the home town, plate ump to see if they could restrict their talents to between innings. Which he did, and they agreed to. I on the other hand was roundly booed but the locals, which at that level I imagine was some sort of first. :) maybe that's why to this day I absolutely abhor loud grating music at sporting events. IF you have to make artificial noise to excite your fans, maybe you should consider the fact that your team isn't very entertaining on its own.
    • Dome Dogg likes this
Photo
theBOMisthebomb
Oct 13 2019 05:33 AM

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. Everyone all the time is all about how awesome the Target Field organist is. Her playing bores me to tears. The addition of some variety would certainly help matters. I have only thought this criticism, and have been afraid to say it out loud.