Comparing Kenta Maeda to the Free Agent Starters
Image courtesy of © Kim Klement-USA TODAY SportsWhen Maeda was acquired there were a lot of rumblings about him being just above average and not the “impact” guy the Twins needed. This was coming and is still coming from the same group that wanted Bumgarner to be that savior for the rotation. I personally liked Wheeler and Ryu a lot so it is interesting where Maeda ranks among these three.
- Kenta Maeda: 4.04 ERA, 3.95 FIP, 1.07 WHIP, 6.7 H/9, 3.0 BB/9, 9.9 K/9
- Zack Wheeler: 3.96 ERA, 3.48 FIP, 1.26 WHIP, 9.0 H/9, 2.3 BB/9, 9.0 K/9
- Hyun-Jin Ryu: 2.32 ERA, 3.10 FIP, 1.01 WHIP, 7.9 H/9, 1.2 BB/9, 8.0 K/9
- Madison Bumgarner: 3.90 ERA, 3.90 FIP, 1.13 WHIP, 8.3 H/9, 1.9 BB/9, 8.8 K/9
- Wheeler: $21.5 million
- Bumgarner: $17 million
- Ryu: $20 million
- Maeda: Really weird contract but probably around $11 million
I may be drinking the Twins Kool-aid a bit here, but I think landing Maeda was the best case scenario when you take into account price, statistics, future value, and a guy named Josh Donaldson. He may not be the best pitcher, but he is very close to them all and the roster/financial impact is the key to why I would take Maeda.
What do you think? Let me know in the comments!
MORE FROM TWINS DAILY
— Latest Twins coverage from our writers
— Recent Twins discussion in our forums
— Follow Twins Daily via Twitter, Facebook or email
- Blake, h2oface, tarheeltwinsfan and 6 others like this