Game Thread: Twins @ White Sox, 8/21@4:10pm AND tbd
1. Carbondale – In extreme Southern Illinois lies the city of Carbondale. I’m out of things about which to make fun of Chicago, and since a large chunk of Chicagoans will be in Carbondale for the eclipse, I thought I’d focus on this place of mainly Cardinals Fans. Nearly 26,000 people live in Carbondale year round but they estimate 60,000 people will invade the city today. Oddly enough, Shawn Colvin grew up in Carbondale, talk about “Sunny Came Home.” Carbondale was named after a nearby coal deposit by Daniel Brush who was the first area landowner. That’s how close the city came to being named Coaldaniel.
2. Our Twins – It was a great weekend and I hope it leads to a great week and great month of September. In Today’s doubleheader we have a couple of interesting pitchers. Dillon Gee and Tim “Call me Ishmael” Melville will throw for the Twins. Gee has been pretty good out of the pen for us so I am hopeful for a decent start today. Melville I know very little about; all I know is that he has spent a little time in the majors some years ago, never mind how precisely. I hope he has a whale of a game.
3. The White Sox – After many years of trying to win with expensive free agents, the White Sox have gone the opposite direction and the youth is starting to bubble to the surface. The Twins will get to see Yoan Moncada, Carson Fulmer and Lucas Giolito during this series. The cool thing about rookies is that they make the minimum. They are paid a minimum guaranteed rate at Guaranteed Rate Field.
4. Today’s Joe M Conversation:
Maddon: Joe… do you alter your approach at the plate depending on the pitcher you are facing?
Mauer: I do… When I face Kluber for example… I like to see as many pitches as I can to get a feel for what he is throwing.
Morgan: That’s smart because Kluber has 5 different pitches that he can throw effectively.
McCarthy: What about a left hander like Chris Sale?
Montana: Yeah… Sale… with that big slider from the left side.
Mauer: Exactly… with Sale you have to be aware of that slider. So with him… I like to see as many pitches as I can.
Maddon: What would you do against one of my guys? Jake Arrieta for example.
Mauer: With Arrieta you got treat him a little differently. He’s got that cross body style that can be a little confusing because it’s unique. So… I like to see as many pitches as I can.
5. Explanations – My youngest son asked me “Dad… can you explain what an eclipse is?” Naturally I shook my head and replied, “No Sun.” And I dropped the Mic.
Yes... I use a Microphone when I talk to my kids.
Brian Dozier 2B
Joe Mauer DH
Byron Buxton CF
Eduardo Escobar 3B
Chris Gimenez C
Eddie Rosario LF
Mitch Garver 1B
Max Kepler RF
Jorge Polanco SS
Tim Melville P
Leury Garcia LF
Yoan Moncada 2B
Jose Abreu 1B
Nicky Delmonico DH
Avisail Garcia RF
Holmer Sanchez 3B
Tim Anderson SS
Omar Narvaez C
Adam Engel CF
Carlos Rodon P
Weather: 80s, humid, cloudy ... rain is coming, but let's hope it hits after the 2nd game tonight. But even so, it shouldn't be so much to cancel/postpone a game.
- jimbo92107, Mike Frasier Law, Dantes929 and 4 others like this