Game Thread: Twins v Yankees, 7/17@7:10pm CT
1. New York Mills – With a population of 1,225 people, New York Mills is pretty close to the middle of Twins Territory, located about 78 miles east of Fargo and 1,255 Miles from Plattsburgh, NY. The town got its name because the area sawmills were owned by a New York Compan - those Yankees decided on the name of the town and Minnesotans didn’t argue. It could have been called Minnesota Mills or Mills Fleet Farm instead. Back in the late 1800’s, sawmills sprung up in order to increase the amount of sawing that could be done. There isn’t much to see but people wanted to saw it anyway. I have driven through New York Mills, I saw it. The town was primarily settled by the Finnish, but when I saw it, it didn’t look totally Finnished, there were still improvements that could be made. One thing they could do… is take those perfectly fine and totally usable fishing boats off the top of the 'Welcome to New York Mills' city signs. As you enter the city limits there are actual fishing boats up in the air and visible to all. I don’t know how they got up there, perhaps a huge flood or something but it’s pretty lazy to not take them down after all this time. Lund Boats are manufactured in New York Mills at the same factory that produced high school basketball legend Janet Karvonen. She Finnished her high school career as the leading scorer in Minnesota History.
2. Our Twins – OK… three games with the Houston Astros after the all-star break, one win with two losses and ground was actually gained because the Indians got swept by the mighty A’s. This thing ain’t over yet. Byron Buxton has been swinging pretty well lately but he has been placed on the DL because that is what happens when you finally start playing well with the Twins.
3. The Yankees – Not only are the Twins trying to catch the Indians. They are also trying to catch the Yankees and they are both equal distance away. The Yankees used to be a bunch of old talent but they quickly transformed to a bunch of young talent. A-Rod, Jeter, and Roger Maris are gone, replaced by Judge, Sanchez and Hicks. Yankee fans travel well and tend to show up at road parks around the country. This is because you can buy a Twins ticket, flight, rental car, hotel, food and a My Pillow for less than a cost of a Yankees ticket.
4. Today’s Joe M Conversation:
McCarthy: These ribs are delicious… my compliments, Joe
Maddon: Thank you… Carolina-style barbecue. Vinegar, mustard base, with applewood chips in the smoker.
Mauer: Joe… I gotta ask you… how do you know so much about food?
Maddon: I don’t know… it just kinda happened… I’ve always been a bit of a foodie.
Maddon: Yeah, foodie… I actually coined that phrase.
Mauer: You coined that phrase?
Maddon: Yep… I called myself a foodie once and the rest is history.
McCarthy: That’s nothing… I coined the phrase… “Coined a phrase”.
5. Projects - I was asked to oversee a project at work that I didn’t have time for. I decided to overlook it, things will be fine as long as nobody understands the difference.
Jacoby Ellsbury CF
Clint Frazier LF
Aaron Judge RF
Matt Holliday DH
Starlin Castro 2B
Didi Gregorius SS
Chase Headley 3B
Garrett Cooper 1B
Austin Romine C
Brian Mitchell P
Brian Dozier 2B
Zack Granite CF
Joe Mauer 1B
Miguel Sano 3B
Max Kepler RF
Kennys Vargas DH
Eddie Rosario LF
Ehire Adrianza SS
Jason Castro C
Adalberto Mejia P
Weather: Woo! Looks like a hot one in the TC today! (Yes, Chief, we know that it's twice as hot where you are ... yes, I'm leaving that comment open to interpretation.) Wunderground says that at game time it will be 89 deg (with a heat index of 96), getting cloudier throughout the evening as the rain is coming, but hopefully after the game is complete, with the winds from the S at 15mph. (Currently it's sunny, 94 deg with the heat index at 106 ... and it's a lovely upper 70s and sunny here in ChiTown ... perfect topless driving weather.)
- Blake and Don Walcott like this