Game Thread: Twins v Tigers, 4/21 @ 7:10pm CT
1. Flight Attendants – The last time I flew, I slipped the flight attendant $10 and asked if I could give the pre-flight announcements… She said, "Make it $20." I stood in front of everyone and said, “Before we start blasting through the skies in this pressurized tube, can you please pretend to give me your attention. The use of seat belts is required when the seat belt sign is on. To operate your seat belt… insert the metal tab into the buckle and pull tight. It works just like every other seat belt… and, if you don't know how to operate one, you probably shouldn't be out in public unsupervised. In the event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure, masks will descend from the ceiling. Stop screaming… grab the mask… and pull it over your face. If you have a small child traveling with you… secure your mask before assisting with theirs. If you are traveling with more than one small child… pick your favorite. Your seat cushions can be used for flotation… and… in the event of an emergency water landing, please swim to shore and take them with our compliments.”
2. Our Twins – We are currently in last place and just one game back in the standings. If everything goes right… we could go from worst to first in one night. Here’s how that can happen: the Twins beat the Tigers, the Rangers beat the Royals… and… the Indians and White Sox both immediately join the NFL because they will end up winning more games than the Browns and Bears.
3. The Tigers – Justin Verlander takes the mound tonight. In 2014… at age 31… Justin Verlander surprised everyone with a terrible year. While Verlander struggled, there were quite a few experts who said that he was done. These experts were very sure of themselves and very convincing in their arguments. The Justin Verlander that we once knew was certainly just a shell of his former self. In 2016, Verlander surprised everyone by nearly winning the Cy Young award. Through three starts in 2017… Verlander has an ERA of 5.71. How 'bout that… those experts in 2014… they were right.
4. Today’s Joe M Conversation
McCarthy: Hey Joe… What would you want your last words to be?
Mauer: I don’t know… I hope to come up with something worthwhile, something lasting, and something important. I probably won’t be prepared for it and it’ll end up being something like… “Get the damn dog off the bed”.
Maddon: I won’t have any last words.
McCarthy: Why not?
Maddon: My wife never lets me have them.
5. Books – A friend of mine said that he loves the smell of books. I immediately questioned if he knew how reading works.
Ian Kinsler 2B
Nick Castellanos 3B
Miguel Cabrera 1B
Victor Martinez DH
Justin Upton LF
Mikie Mahtook RF
James McCann C
JaCoby Jones CF
Andrew Romine SS
Justin Verlander P
Brian Dozier 2B
Max Kepler RF
Miguel Sano 3B
Joe Mauer 1B
Robbie Grossman DH
Jason Castro C
Jorge Polanco SS
Eddie Rosario LF
Byron Buxton CF
Hector Santiago P
Weather: 60 deg F, some clouds, a little wind, no rain.
- Blake, Oldgoat_MN and wsnydes like this