Game Thread: Twins v Cleveland, 8/15 @ 7:10pm CT
1. Cleveland and Grover – I don’t know how many of you have memorized all of the towns in Minnesota but in case you have not… there is a Cleveland, Minnesota. Its 66 miles southwest of Minneapolis and 1,634 miles northeast of Tucson, Arizona. With that close proximity to Tucson, the Sonoran hot dog, chimichanga and ranch fries are the staple of Cleveland cuisine. Twenty-eight different states have a Cleveland, the majority of them named after our 22nd and 24th president, Grover Cleveland. Now that Grover has been mentioned… Minnesota has a Grover, too, where the residents don’t… oops… I mean do not use contractions when they speak. You should not worry about that strange conversational style because contraction is a bad word in Twins territory and I am going to try stop using contractions myself from here on out. The citizens of Grover constantly run far away just to turn and shout FAR before returning to close proximity to shout NEAR and then they do it again until everybody understands the difference. The blue and furry people of Grover and the Twins fans of Cleveland, Twins Daily salutes you.
2. Our Twins – If the Twins wouldn’t… oops… I mean would not have blown a huge lead against the Tigers on Saturday, we would be enjoying an 8-game winning streak right now. I do not mention this to point out the negative thing in a pile of positive, I mention it to illustrate how close we were to an 8-game winning streak. During this winning streak Sano has not been helping that much. If it was not for Sano’s low OPS we would have 8 players with an OPS over .900 during that streak. Uff da... I've ... oops ... I have got to quit using negative to highlight positive.
3. The Indians - The tribe have been improving as the season goes along and they have a chance to put some real distance between them and 2nd place this weekend. They currently have a 5-game lead and if they can increase that distance they will start reserving October hotels and booking flights to Boston for the 1st round of the playoffs. This is clearly a moment where the Twins can say, “We are still HERE!” and clearly a moment where the Indians can say, “No you are NOT!”
4. Today’s Joe M Conversation:
Montana: Hey, guys… I’ve got my lottery tickets. Dropped 50 bucks but I’m sure there is a winner in here somewhere.
Maddon: What’s the jackpot up to now?
McCarthy: 430 million
Morgan: I cannot believe you dropped 50 bucks on that stuff. You would not do that if you understood the odds. You simply should not waste your money that way.
Maddon: Why are you speaking like Grover?
Morgan: Trying to get rich by playing the lottery is like trying to commit suicide by flying on a commercial airline.
Montana: The lines get real long when the jackpot gets real big. Nobody seems to care when the jackpot is small.
Mauer: I can understand that. When it is only 23 million… it is hardly worth the effort.
5. Potatoes - We had baked potatoes for supper last night. My son mentioned that he likes his potatoes mashed the best. I told him do not worry because his stomach thinks all potatoes are mashed anyway.
- James, Dantes929, Broker and 2 others like this