PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Sano

Seth Stohs
04-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Birthday: May 11, 1993 (currently 18). Bats: Right, Throws: Right, Plays: 3B.
Height: 6-3, Weight (Listed): 195, Weight (Actual): 230ish.
Acquired: Signed as a free agent from Dominican Republic in October, 2009. Signing Bonus: $3.15 million.

2010 GCL Stats: .291/.338/.466 (.804) with 14 doubles, 4 home runs (41 games).
2011 ETown Stats: .292/.352/.637 (.988) with 18 doubles, 7 triples, 20 home runs (66 games).
2012 Beloit Stats: .310/.444/.707 (1.151) with 3 doubles, 1 triple, 6 home runs (17 games so far).

Baseball America Prospect Ranking: Pre-2010: 94, Pre-2011: 60, Pre-2012: 18

SethSpeaks.net Twins Prospect Ranking: Pre-2010: 1, Pre-2011: 1, Pre-2012: 1

Stats Pages: MiLB.com (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=3B&sid=t554&t=p_pbp&pid=593934), Baseball Reference (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=sano--001mig), Fan Graphs (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa548088&position=3B), First Inning (http://firstinning.com/players/Miguel-Sano-a/), The Baseball Cube (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=miguel-sano).

Movie Appearances: Pelotero (http://peloterothemovie.com/), a documentary on him growing up in the Dominican as a baseball player.

Summary: The baseball world was surprised in late 2009 when the Twins were the team that Miguel Sano, the top prospect in the Dominican Republic in recent years, to a $3.15 million signing bonus. There were a lot of tests done in an attempt to show that Sano was not the 16-year-old that he claimed to be, but none of the tests proved that he was older. Tests were inconclusive. He has gradually moved up prospect rankings as he moves up the Twins organizational ladder.

Positives: His youth makes him incredibly intriguing as a prospect. His size and growth make him even more interesting. Sano has major power potential and some have compared his potential to Miguel Cabrera and Alex Rodriguez. Many, including LaVelle Neal of the StarTribune have referenced the way the ball jumps off of his bat. In 2011, he is walking at a career-high rate to this point.

Concerns: The Age situation. If it were to come out that he lied about his age, it would mean a 1-year suspension and affect his development. His contact rate. He is striking out almost 28% of his plate appearances right now in Beloit which is pretty high and an area he will need to improve. Defense. He has just three errors in 17 games so far, but many wonder whether he will be able to stay in the infield or if his future will be in the corner outfield positions or at 1B.

Interview with mlb.com's Jonathan Mayo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs1MhmWLUuU

Seth Stohs
04-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Over at Puckett's Pond, Shawn Berg asked if it was too soon to bump Miguel Sano to Ft. Myers?

http://puckettspond.com/2012/04/26/is-it-too-soon-to-bump-miguel-sano-up-to-fort-myers/

nicksaviking
04-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Nope. Every non-college player, even Mauer has had to spend an entire year at Beloit, but they should abandon that philosophy for Sano. This organization needs excitement, even fans who aren't as in-tune with the going-ons of the farm will start getting excited when they hear about a top prospect moving through the system at a faster than expected rate.

From a development standpoint, Sano obviously needs to work on contact and defense, but his master attribute, his power, has already proven to be worthy of the level he is currently at. He can work on his few defiiencies at the next level while testing his strength against better compitition. Besides, aren't most of the Twins instructional staff in Ft. Myers anyway? If they are, it seems odd that they wouldn't want the top players spending more time there.

I'm sure he won't be promoted any time soon, the decision will still come down to player control. The Twins won't want to let him reach the majors before he is 21-22 regardless of how he is playing as they would rather have him under his 1st contract from his 22-27 years instead of the 20-25 years. I don't like it, but I understand it's about money. I just feel like they cheat the whole game by doing so. Ted Williams would not be part of the 500 HR club, Ken Griffey Jr. would not be part of the 600 HR club and Robin Yount would not be part of the 3000 hit club if they were made to wait until they were 21 to be called up. Sano likely isn't in their class, and he may not be ready in two years, but I don't think the club should stand in his way if he is.

CK
04-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Enlightening point, Nick. Such a shame

shawntheroad
04-27-2012, 01:20 PM
nice points nick! I was looking at Sano as a unique case study and of course, i think the Twins "top" coaches are probably at Fort Myers.

Yoshii
04-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Anyone have a guess on when Sano will be at the major league level?

twinsfan214
04-27-2012, 02:38 PM
I would say he's already outclassing Beloit. Move him up now. Then maybe again if he continues to do well. Or skip him to Rochester next season. There's gotta be a way to excelerate his movement to the majors. I want to see him at TF soon. It seems he is a rare player, so I hope they don't treat him like the run-of-the-mill.

Seth Stohs
04-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Anyone have a guess on when Sano will be at the major league level?

My guess... He'll spend all of 2012 in Beloit. Start 2013 in Ft. Myers but move up to New Britain in mid-June. Start 2014 in New Britain and be up by late 2014.

Seth Stohs
04-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Last night, Sano was 1-5. Since he was 6-9 the previous Thursday/Friday, he has gone 5-26 (.192). Then again, of those five hits, two are doubles and one is a triple.

His updates season stats: .273/.417/.623 (1.040) with 5 doubles, 2 triples, 6 home runs and 19 RBI.

Key Number, he has 29 strikeouts in 96 plate appearances, or one every 3.31 plate appearances.

Seth Stohs
05-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Sano is in USA Today this morning in an article about Bobby Valentine being the producer of Peletero. There is a nice 1:15 clip from the movie. I enjoy seeing all of the MLB stuff he wears in the small clip.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2012/04/pelotero-documentary-dominican-miguel-sano-bobby-valentine/1

Hogs2
05-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Where will Sano eventually end up playing in the majors. Third Base?

Bark's Lounge
05-03-2012, 11:10 PM

From what I have heard and read. He still projects as a third baseman, but not Shortstop. Here's hoping to that projection lasting for the long term!

Seth Stohs
05-03-2012, 11:32 PM

Here's hoping he can stay at 3B, and I think they can and should keep him there as long as they can. But most "experts" assume he'll move to a corner OF spot, or even 1B.

Jim Crikket
05-04-2012, 11:16 AM
First of all, I agree with Seth, the Twins should keep sending him out to play 3B as long as they think there's any chance he could develop enough skill there to be servicable at that position. That said, after watching him work out a little every spring in Ft Myers and then seeing him the past couple of nights in Cedar Rapids, I think he may have "DH" written all over him. Just doesn't seem terribly smooth out there. He still seems to be growing in to his body, though, and at just 19 yrs old, there's still plenty of time to get past that awkwardness.

Jeremy Nygaard
05-04-2012, 11:51 AM
I agree that he should stay at 3B as long as possible. I think the next spot is RF, he moves ok and has a cannon. If that doesn't work, he'll end up at 1B... and then possibly DH. The whole story sounds very similar to the career path of Miguel Cabrera.

Seth Stohs
05-05-2012, 12:47 AM
Miguel Sano Update - He is 9-16 in his last four games with 2 doubles, 2 HR and 9 RBI. Was hitting .262, and four games later, he's at .310.

In tonight's games, he was 2-4 in each game, with a home run in each game.

Jim Crikket
05-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Sano caused a little bit of a "dust up" with his game winning HR in the nightcap Friday night. I was Tweeting about the HR and when I looked up, the benches had cleared and coaches/umpires were trying to keep the players separated and under control. Both benches got a warning. Here's the story (from the Cedar Rapids point of view, anyway):

http://thegazette.com/2012/05/04/kernels-dont-take-kindly-to-opponents-home-run-pimp/

gunnarthor
05-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Sano caused a little bit of a "dust up" with his game winning HR in the nightcap Friday night. I was Tweeting about the HR and when I looked up, the benches had cleared and coaches/umpires were trying to keep the players separated and under control. Both benches got a warning. Here's the story (from the Cedar Rapids point of view, anyway):

http://thegazette.com/2012/05/04/kernels-dont-take-kindly-to-opponents-home-run-pimp/

Thanks for the link. Jamie Burke, I remember him with the White Sox. Small world.

minn55441
05-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Jim, Thanks for the link to the article.

A twin with an attitude, I wonder how long they will let that exist? I think we need a few more guys in the organization that have that attitude. I'm good and I'll prove it to you.

Seth Stohs
05-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Jim, Thanks for the link to the article.

A twin with an attitude, I wonder how long they will let that exist? I think we need a few more guys in the organization that have that attitude. I'm good and I'll prove it to you.

That won't be allowed, and it shouldn't. The Twins are very good about not letting that go. They don't let things like not running out pop-ups and ground balls go without a game off or something. Now, without having seen it, my guess is that Nelson Prada and Tommy Watkins will talk about how "bad" whatever Sano did was.

Jim Crikket
05-05-2012, 10:48 AM
If, indeed, Sano did "pimp" his HR, then I agree with Seth... that needs to be corrected. That said, what I really did like and would like to see more of at the Twins level, was the "I'm not going to take crap from you" attitude and the "We've got your back" reaction from Sano's teammates.

Pimping the HR is childish and hopefully something Sano grows out of, but if, for whatever reason, an opposing player gets in your face, I want to see a guy stand up and I want to see teammates stand up with him.

Seth Stohs
05-05-2012, 11:08 AM
If, indeed, Sano did "pimp" his HR, then I agree with Seth... that needs to be corrected. That said, what I really did like and would like to see more of at the Twins level, was the "I'm not going to take crap from you" attitude and the "We've got your back" reaction from Sano's teammates.

Pimping the HR is childish and hopefully something Sano grows out of, but if, for whatever reason, an opposing player gets in your face, I want to see a guy stand up and I want to see teammates stand up with him.

Agree with what you've got here, JC!

minn55441
05-05-2012, 11:27 AM
I wasn't there, but we have to remember this article was written from the perspective of the opposing team. I would never encourage a player to show up a pitcher after a home run. A prime example would be Carlos Guillen, showboating around the bases agasint Jared Weaver last season. Under no cirmcumstances should that be tolerated, at any level of baseball.

With that said, with the pace of your ordinary baseball game, you know things are said between dugouts throughout the game. It is a big moment for a player to hit a 2 run dinger in the 9th to take the lead. What is the appropriate amount of time to round the bases in such a situation. I'm sure it is percieved to be a different amount of time whether you are on the celebrating side or if you are in the opposing dugout. I guess we leave it to the Beloit coaching staff to be addressed or not.

Jim Crikket
05-05-2012, 11:39 AM
I wasn't there, but we have to remember this article was written from the perspective of the opposing team. I would never encourage a player to show up a pitcher after a home run. A prime example would be Carlos Guillen, showboating around the bases agasint Jared Weaver last season. Under no cirmcumstances should that be tolerated, at any level of baseball.

With that said, with the pace of your ordinary baseball game, you know things are said between dugouts throughout the game. It is a big moment for a player to hit a 2 run dinger in the 9th to take the lead. What is the appropriate amount of time to round the bases in such a situation. I'm sure it is percieved to be a different amount of time whether you are on the celebrating side or if you are in the opposing dugout. I guess we leave it to the Beloit coaching staff to be addressed or not.

I agree. The other thing you have to keep in mind is that the incident started when the Kernel catcher made a comment to Sano as he crossed home plate. If you've listened to the mlb.com interview Seth imbedded in this thread at the beginning, it's pretty clear that the guy has very, very limited command of the English language. I doubt Sano even understood what Baker said to him, but I'm sure the tone of voice wasn't exactly congratulatory. So maybe Sano just reacts to an opposing player getting snippy with him.

Anyway... minor league baseball is about teaching lessons and I'm sure if there was a lesson to be taught in this, the Snapper coaches will do so.

Seth Stohs
05-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Sano was 2-4 tonight with his 9th home run. He is now hitting .306/.426/.658 (1.084) on the season. In his last seven games, he is 12-27 with 3 doubles, 3 home runs and 11 RBI. On the other side of the ball, he does have 10 errors on the season as well.

asmus_ndsu
05-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Sano was 2-4 tonight with his 9th home run. He is now hitting .306/.426/.658 (1.084) on the season. In his last seven games, he is 12-27 with 3 doubles, 3 home runs and 11 RBI. On the other side of the ball, he does have 10 errors on the season as well.

It took a-rod until the majors to gain much glove

TwinsArmChairGM_Jon
05-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Whatever happened to Miguel changing his last name to Jean instead of Sano? I haven't once heard him referred to as Miguel Jean since he said he was changing it.

Seth Stohs
05-11-2012, 12:28 AM
Whatever happened to Miguel changing his last name to Jean instead of Sano? I haven't once heard him referred to as Miguel Jean since he said he was changing it.

It hasn't been a topic for almost two years. It just kind of went away.

Seth Stohs
05-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Happy 19th Birthday to Miguel Sano!!!
Heading into his birthday, Sano is hitting .298/.409/.645 (1.055 OPS) with 9 doubles, 2 triples and 10 home runs. In 144 plate appearances, he has 20 walks and 40 strikeouts.

enge0280
05-11-2012, 11:37 AM
I saw Sano is not playing in Beloit's game today. Does anyone know if it is a regular day off or if there is something else up? I don't know if he's missed a game yet this year so that could be it.

Seth Stohs
05-11-2012, 12:01 PM
I saw Sano is not playing in Beloit's game today. Does anyone know if it is a regular day off or if there is something else up? I don't know if he's missed a game yet this year so that could be it.

It is the first time he has not played this season for the Snappers. As of now, not hearing anything more than a day off, but it's intriguing enough that I'm putting out some feelers to see if there's any more to it.

Seth Stohs
05-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Just a day off for Sano today.

mike wants wins
05-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Cannot wait to see this guy play someday.

MWLFan
05-11-2012, 01:44 PM
MWM-

Come on down to Beloit!. But seriously, he could be very special in a couple of years in the majors. A Ball is a long way from the Majors with most players. He could push that, but you just want to make sure you get it right. This one you don't want to blow up on you.

gunnarthor
05-11-2012, 02:15 PM
From baseball america's Prospect Hot Sheet (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2012/2613380.html)-
"The top four prospects on the preseason Top 100 list are all currently in the big leagues. That means there will be plenty of spaces of new guys in the Top 10 for our midseason prospect update. One of the most likely candidates to move up is Twins 3B Miguel Sano (http://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/players/cards/90064). He ranked No. 18 before the season, but the biggest knock against him was that he had yet to play a game in full-season ball. That's no longer a concern—he's leading the Midwest League in home runs (10), slugging percentage (.645) and OPS (1.055). Sano went 8-for-28 (.286/.323/.714) with three home runs this week, pretty impressive for one of the youngest players in the league."

Seth Stohs
05-14-2012, 06:47 AM
On Sunday (5/13), Sano hit a 3-run blast that led the Snappers to a 3-1 win over Clinton at Pohlman Field. On the season, he is now hitting .292/.408/.646 (1.054) with 9 doubles, 2 triples, 11 home runs and 35 RBI. According to Director of Media Relations, Chrissy Scaffidi, Sano leads the MWL in HR, RBI, Slugging Percentage (.646) and Total Bases (84). In 152 plate appearances, he has 22 walks and 40 strikeouts. He has cut down his K-rate the last week or two, and as it approaches 4.0 (PA/K), I'd feel more comfortable with him being promoted. Still hoping he gets promoted July 4th.

Pitz
05-14-2012, 08:52 AM
I saw Sano on Saturday. He was 0-3 (a little sad I missed him by a day as he hit a homerun on Sunday). I'm no scout but I thought I'd share some of my thoughts. The ball does indeed jump off his bat. His first at bat, he hit a hard line drive right at the right fielder. His final at bat was a GIDP, but it was an absolute smash right at the shortstop. I'm not trying to exaggerate, but its just obvious that he hits the ball hard. The scouting report in the program says he has 'easy power' and I think that describes what I saw. I don't think that those who are concerned about the Twins ruining his power by telling him he needs to use all fields need to worry too much. He did not appear to be set on pulling the ball and it looks like he has natural power to all fields. Of his 11 hrs - 6 to left, 1 - left center, 1 - center, 3 right.
As for the concerns with him:

Defense: He committed an ugly error, which was by all accounts a footwork problem. He literally stepped on his own foot as he fielded the ball going to his left and then still tried to throw to first off-balance sailing it to the fence. I think he has pretty good hands to handle the infield. He definitely has the arm for third, but certainly needs to work on his footwork and approach to the ball.

Plate Discipline: He saw 16 pitches in his four plate appearances. He didn't chase anything out of the zone. He also swung at all but one strike that he saw (didn't swing and miss). In my opinion, none of the pitches that he swung at were pitchers pitches and seemed hittable strikes so I can't blame him for swinging. He drew a walk in his second plate appearance and popped-out on a first pitch strike in his next at-bat. I'm not really drawing any conclusion from the day about his plate discipline but just thought I'd share what I saw.

Seth Stohs
05-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Phil Mackey of 1500espn wrote a nice article on Sano (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/GM_Terry_Ryan_hopeful_top_prospect_Miguel_Sano_can _move_up_ladder_soon051412)this morning. Read the article, but this line says a lot to me:

"He'll have a chance," general manager Terry Ryan said Sunday. "I'm not sure he's quite ready, but when he's ready. ... I hope we do move him (up). I think all of us would like to see him move (up)."

Seth Stohs
05-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Miguel Sano got another night off tonight in Beloit. It was the second straight Friday that he didn't play. He did pop out in a pinch-hitting spot in tonight's game. In his last ten games, he is now 6-34 (.176). However, he has struck out just six times in those 38 plate appearances (4 walks). I get people's wish for him to get rushed, but he just turned 19... he's going to have streaks like this.

Seth Stohs
05-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Last night, Miguel Sano was 0-4 and committed his 15th error. He is 1-27 in his last 8 games. He is 3-36 since turning 19 (11 games).

Seth Stohs
05-27-2012, 10:25 PM
On Thursday night, Miguel Sano singled to lead off the 10th inning for Beloit. The single ended an 0-24 slump. Since then, he is 3-9 and hopefully that streak (which was also 1-39) is over. Tonight, he was 2-4 with a sacrifice fly. He also committed his 18th error.

Seth Stohs
05-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Sano was 0-6 today until the 12th inning when he drilled his 12th home run, a 3-run blast.

gunnarthor
05-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Sano was 0-6 today until the 12th inning when he drilled his 12th home run, a 3-run blast.

Well, it's hard to go 0-7. :-)

Seth Stohs
05-29-2012, 12:04 PM
In his second at bat today, Miguel Sano hit his 13th home run. HR in back-to-back games.

Twins Fan From Afar
05-29-2012, 12:11 PM
OK. It's officially fine to talk about promoting him again.

MWLFan
05-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Nate Roberts and Rosario also went deep. Big bats out today for the Snappers.

MWLFan
05-29-2012, 01:32 PM
About every 14 AB's Sano homers, last year in the Appy League it was just over 13. The MWL is NOT a home run friendly league. Amazing stuff. GIANCARLO STANTON in the Sally League- 12 ab's for every homer. He hit 39 that year in 468 AB's. I don't have the stats here but that league is more of a haven for hitters then what we see up here. So Sano's numbers are not inflated by the league, if anything he is probably being held back a bit.

Seth Stohs
06-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Saw Sano play the last two nights. I'll be logging the three day, two game trip here at Twins Daily, including some pictures. I'm hoping to even post a little video. On Friday night in Quad Cities, he was 0-3 with two walks and two strikeouts. Last night, in the first inning, he crushed the ball in his first at bat and I have no idea how the pitcher caught it, other than self-defense. In his next at bat, he roped a line drive to the left center field gap for a double. THen he hit a hard line drive single to left field. He stole a base. He made a couple of nice plays and showed off a very strong arm... but he also threw one up the line that the 1B had to go get and make a tag, and he dropped a pop up last night for his 20th error of the season. It was with two outs and two unearned runs scored.

So many who haven't seen him play say to move him up. I am yet to read one person who has seen him play in person say that he should move up. And now I count myself among that group. I've seen him play (just two games) and clearly he is where he should be. In my mind, he's probably even more of an exciting prospect now that I've seen him, yet, I totally feel that he is where he should be.

mike wants wins
06-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Seth, why is he still at 3B? It is pretty clear he will be in RF or 1B, isn't it? Why do they keep guys at positions where they know they won't play? Or, do you think there is any chance he is at 3B?

Seth Stohs
06-03-2012, 01:54 PM
I think there is a chance he stays there and it's a position for power, and it's a position of need. He'll need to work hard if he wants to stay there, and certainly the coaches are pushing him. People with the Twins think that there is a chance he can stay at third. I'd want to keep him there as long as possible.

USAFChief
06-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Keeping any player in low a ball for defensive purposes is flat stupid. You move players up in the low minors based on their ability to handle the pitching at the level they're at. There is nothing to be learned about playing third base at Beloit that can't be learned at Ft Myers. Nothing.

Seth Stohs
06-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Keeping any player in low a ball for defensive purposes is flat stupid. You move players up in the low minors based on their ability to handle the pitching at the level they're at. There is nothing to be learned about playing third base at Beloit that can't be learned at Ft Myers. Nothing.

I don't completely disagree (would wouldn't say it's "flat stupid" though for sure. Sano struggles with breaking pitches. And that would be made even more clear if he moved up a level where suddenly the breaking pitches are even sharper.

USAFChief
06-03-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't completely disagree (would wouldn't say it's "flat stupid" though for sure. Sano struggles with breaking pitches. And that would be made even more clear if he moved up a level where suddenly the breaking pitches are even sharper.

In which case, fine. If he has issues at the plate, leave him there. I obviously haven't seen him play, and even if I had, making judgements based on a couple games is pretty iffy. I'm saying his defense shouldn't hold any promotion up at this point of his career. When/if he's proven he can handle the pitching at this level, there is no benefit to leaving him there.

Seth Stohs
06-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Miguel Sano was one of seven Snappers players named to the Midwest League All-Star game.

Seth Stohs
06-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Sano today ripped his 15th home run of the year. It was a grand slam in the Snappers' six-run fifth inning today. Sano was 2-5 in the game to raise his average to .243.

lecroy24fan
06-17-2012, 11:50 PM
I went to the game in Beloit last night. Sano looks awful at 3B. Every throw was 8 feet or higher, he has a stutter step on every grounder hit to him, and looks likehe uses an OF glove, as he had issues getting the ball out of his glove each time. I would have thpought major issues like these would have been worked out by now.

CK
06-18-2012, 06:27 AM
I went to the game in Beloit last night. Sano looks awful at 3B. Every throw was 8 feet or higher, he has a stutter step on every grounder hit to him, and looks likehe uses an OF glove, as he had issues getting the ball out of his glove each time. I would have thpought major issues like these would have been worked out by now.

Illusion shattered...

MWLFan
06-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Take some deep breaths. This is Low A Ball. Everyone is working on something, some things are major pieces like throwing the ball within current area code. Others more subtle, yesterday I saw Paul Molitor pulling Tyler Grimes aside after a trip around the bases and talk with him. My guess is it was a few tips from a master, but it could have been about some hot single girl behind the dug out. (Hold on I was in Beloit...accessing memory on that. Nope not a smokin hot babe in 40 miles.) But everyone is working on something. Sano is working on playing defense and not going all Pedro Cerrano on breaking balls. (Jo-bo is does not help with the breaking ball Miguel.) Could he someday be a 1st baseman, sure. But 3d would be better with his abilities. HE WILL NOT SOLVE THE ISSUES AT TARGET FIELD THIS YEAR OR NEXT!

lecroy24fan
06-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Chill dude. I am not expecting him to be here any earlier than 2014. But the mistakes I saw are inexcusable. When the throw is the same every time then something isn't right. Nobody should be stutter stepping on every ground ball, and really on any play.

But my biggest beef is that he's using a glove way too big for an IF. Somebody has to be seeing this stuff.

Turd Furgeson
06-18-2012, 06:44 PM
He had two errors in the game you saw, if I remember correctly. While he has a ton of errors this year, that would probably qualify as one of his worst games, defensively. From what I've heard from others is that he is capable of playing the position but needs a lot of fine tuning. He's going to improve but he may never be able to play 3rd at the Major League level. He's barely 19 and his defense has never been his strong point so give it time for him to learn.

Bark's Lounge
06-18-2012, 07:27 PM
The Sano staying at 3B has been a controversial subject. I once was fairly entrenched in the camp of "Keep him at 3B". As we all know this is an ever changing world. It appears obvious to me now that Sano will have to move over to 1B or one of the corner OF positions. The Twins already have their 3B of the present and future... Trevor Plouffe!

Turd Furgeson
06-18-2012, 10:35 PM
We have no idea what Trevor Plouffe's status will be 2-3 years from now. We don't know if he'll be able to stay at third, etc. etc. You should let Sano play third base for a year or two longer and if he's showing no progress then you move him. You can give him some reps at 1st or right field and it shouldn't take a long time for him to adjust.

Bark's Lounge
06-18-2012, 10:50 PM
We have no idea what Trevor Plouffe's status will be 2-3 years from now. We don't know if he'll be able to stay at third, etc. etc. You should let Sano play third base for a year or two longer and if he's showing no progress then you move him. You can give him some reps at 1st or right field and it shouldn't take a long time for him to adjust.

My comments by no means were meant to be negative on Sano. Keep him at 3B as long as you can. Make sure he can play 1B, RF and LF effectively also. Versatility creates options and value. Mr. Turd, I know you are not a Plouffetist and that is okay and your choice, I am a Plouffetist and I spend many hours meditating to find my inner peace with Plouffe... my Plouffetist center. I can assure you my fellow Twins Dailian - that Plouffe is the answer.

lecroy24fan
06-19-2012, 12:49 AM
24 errors is a lot at this point of the season, but I just don't understand how he's still using an OF glove.

Seth Stohs
06-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Tweet from Jon Morosi minutes ago: "#Twins (http://www.twinsdaily.com/#!/search/%23Twins) 3B prospect Miguel Sano impressed at the MWL All-Star Game. “Special player,” one scout said. “Can’t take your eyes off him.”"

He was 0-1 with a walk in the game last night.

Seth Stohs
06-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Tonight, Miguel Sano went 2-4 with a walk to raise his average to .240... He also hit his 16th home run. It was his first homer since June 11.

Turd Furgeson
07-01-2012, 10:17 AM
It's a small sample size, but Sano is picking it up a bit since the All-Star break. He's sporting a .906 OPS in his past 36 plate appearances since the All-Star break.

Seth Stohs
07-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Miguel Sano connected for his 18th home run of the year. He was 2-3 with a walk. Stole his sixth base.

righty8383
07-02-2012, 07:02 PM
very long article but worth it...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/story-of-miguel-sano-chronicles-ugly--sleazy-side-of-baseball-s-dominican-talent-pipeline.html;_ylt=AnD7YxFU0P5FjSA52rMSBkE5nYcB

Seth Stohs
07-02-2012, 09:04 PM
He may have hit his 18th homer last night and even hit his 17th double tonight... but he was removed from the game for a pinch hitter in the 4th inning tonight after committing THREE more errors. He has 31 on the season.

Wang-Wei Lin pinch hit for him. AJ Pettersen had been playing LF, moved into 3B... he immediately committed an error at 3B.

Riverbrian
07-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Seth... Anyone... Is there something specific about his defensive play. Hands... Arm accuracy... Feet. We are talking about a ton of boots here.

glunn
07-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Sano had three more errors tonight. Maybe his size and tools would work better in the outfield.

Shane Wahl
07-03-2012, 01:19 AM
He will be a first baseman and there is no reason to have him consider anything else. If they want to move him to LF first, that's fine.

Turd Furgeson
07-03-2012, 11:37 AM
He will be a first baseman and there is no reason to have him consider anything else. If they want to move him to LF first, that's fine.

Why wouldn't he be able to play RF? That's a position where his arm would play up. Anyway, it's a crap ton of errors but it's still too early to conclude that he'll be a first basemen and don't consider anything else.

Turd Furgeson
07-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Alright, what's going on with Sano? He had a 3 error game and was taken out early. Since then he missed yesterday's game and isn't in the lineup for today's game either.

glunn
07-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Alright, what's going on with Sano? He had a 3 error game and was taken out early. Since then he missed yesterday's game and isn't in the lineup for today's game either.

Yes, is he injured or is he just getting a rest?

Seth Stohs
07-05-2012, 11:04 PM
He is injured, and I'm trying to figure out the severity of it. Deducing from various conversations I've heard, it doesn't sounds serious, but sounded like a few days off would be great for him.

lecroy24fan
07-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Seth... Anyone... Is there something specific about his defensive play. Hands... Arm accuracy... Feet. We are talking about a ton of boots here.
I can only speak about the game I attended a few weeks back, but all three came into play. He was having trouble getting the ball out of the glove, which looked huge for an IF glove. His throws were solid, but all were high. He has a stutter step that probably is caused from trying to get the ball out of his oversized glove.

glunn
07-06-2012, 02:01 AM
Why wouldn't he be able to play RF? That's a position where his arm would play up. Anyway, it's a crap ton of errors but it's still too early to conclude that he'll be a first basemen and don't consider anything else.

Yes, why couldn't he be a potential all star outfielder? Isn't he pretty fast and have a strong arm?

I hope that the injury is minor.

Seth Stohs
07-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Was just told that Sano has been out with a IT Band/Thigh strain.

lecroy24fan
07-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Yes, why couldn't he be a potential all star outfielder? Isn't he pretty fast and have a strong arm?

I hope that the injury is minor.
I didn't get to see him run the bases, but I definitely can say he has a strong arm.

glunn
07-07-2012, 03:40 AM
Was just told that Sano has been out with a IT Band/Thigh strain.

I found a website on this and it's a little worrisome -- http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/kneepainandinjuries/a/IT_Band_Pain.htm

Hopefully the training staff is up to speed on this, and can refrain from its customary use of leeches and voodoo dancing.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Back in the lineup. Hit, couple RBI, error, playing third. Typical day at the office.

greengoblinrulz
07-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Back in the lineup. Hit, couple RBI, error, playing third. Typical day at the office.

so only 1 error....what the number of games he has to sit for 'an injury' now????

glunn
07-08-2012, 12:24 AM

Maybe the error got reversed -- I am looking at today's box score and see the hit and the 2 RBI, but no errors.

Seth Stohs
07-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Hit his 19th home run tonight and walked twice. He's been hitting well since the All-Star break and hitting .300 in his last ten games.

Seth Stohs
07-19-2012, 11:06 PM
After going 0-2 with a walk in Game 1 of the Snappers double-header tonight, Sano went 3-4 with his 20th home run and four RBI in game 2.

In his last 8 games, he is 9-23 (.391) with a double, a triple, two HR and 9 RBI. In that span, he has also walked nine times and struck out four times.

Chance
07-19-2012, 11:16 PM
How about errors in that time? I don't remember seeing any in boxscore... I could be mistaken. It's really good to see him picking it up now that his 19th birthday slump is wearing off.

Seth Stohs
07-21-2012, 08:49 AM
He had his 33rd last night, but I think he's only had maybe two over the last couple of weeks.

greengoblinrulz
07-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Ugly weekend of 0-13 w/6K.
Comes after hitting great since ASG --22gms--21/68 .309/.453/.618 w/15runs 4doubles 1triple 5hr 19rbi 19k 18bb

righty8383
07-23-2012, 03:18 PM
4 strike outs today. Sano is now 0 for his last 17 with 10 strike outs.

Seth Stohs
08-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Sano is hitting well again, .371 over his last 10 games. In his last six games, he is 9-24 (.375) with three doubles, three homers and 10 RBI. He has homered in back-to-back games. I was at the game on Sunday when he hit HR #22. He got a fastball away and drilled it over the fence in right-center field. The fence is probably 370 away, and there is a sign above it. The ball went over that sign too. He hit #23 on Monday night. He did still strike out some over the four games I saw. I thought he did well to lay off some tough sliders down and away. He just-missed a few curve balls. He doesn't miss many fastballs. My opinion of his defense was that he looked much-more prepared pre-pitch. He's only had 2-3 errors since his 3-4 error game 5-6 weeks ago. He also has a rocket for an arm. He runs the bases well and has surprisingly good speed.

Seth Stohs
08-13-2012, 11:07 PM
After getting ejected last night, Miguel Sano hit his 24th home run tonight and drove in his 90th run.

Celebrity Weddings!
08-14-2012, 02:02 PM
After getting ejected last night, Miguel Sano hit his 24th home run tonight and drove in his 90th run.

To clarify, he was ejected in one game and then hit a homerun in his next?

Because I was picturing a Bobby Valentine-esque Groucho disguise situation when I first read this, which I'm pretty sure should automatically bump Sano up about a dozen spots on prospect lists.

Seth Stohs
08-14-2012, 02:31 PM

To clarify, he was ejected in one game and then hit a homerun in his next?

Correct... ejected one night, homered the following night. Ha!

Seth Stohs
08-15-2012, 03:38 PM
A Tweet from Jorge Aragnure regarding Sano's winter league team...

Jorge Arangure ‏@jorgearangure (https://twitter.com/jorgearangure)
Miguel Angel Sano was the first pick of the Dominican winter league draft. Will play for Estrellas Orientales #twins (https://twitter.com/search/?src=hash&q=%23twins)

Seth Stohs
08-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Hit home run #26 tonight. ESPN.com's Keith Law tweeted that it was a blast over the batters' eye in centerfield.

On the season, he is now hitting .262/.382/.526 (.907) with 25 doubles, four triples, 26 home runs and 92 RBI. In 499 plate appearances, he has 75 walks and 132 strikeouts. He sits at 39 errors on the season at 3B.

greengoblinrulz
08-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Since All Star Break...48gms .300/.426/.581 48runs 11doubles 2triples 10HR 42RBI 47k 36bb
getting better all around with the bat.
.364/.446/.782 in 15 Aug gms (55ABs)

twinstalker
08-18-2012, 05:55 AM
I suspect if you look real hard when in the DR, you'll find someone age 19 who's name is Miguel Sano. If in doing so you you also come across some Jeans, you might want to check for letters and wired payments from Florida, Tennessee, and Wisconsin.

But then the name thing is always funky within the hispanic culture. A friend of mine from CR introduced herself by one name, then starting using another. The maternal/paternal surnames are pretty inconsistent in the culture from our perspective.

Mr. Ed
08-19-2012, 05:43 PM
#26 for Sano Sunday. Error #41 Saturday night.

righty8383
08-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Did something happen to Sano last night? He was pulled in the top of the 7th and is not in the game tonight.

Jim Crikket
08-25-2012, 11:19 PM
I can only say that Sano was stretching and playing catch with teammates before the game tonight and looked fine.

righty8383
08-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Good to know, thanks

Seth Stohs
08-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Sano returned to the lineup on Sunday afternoon in Cedar Rapids. He went 4-6 with a walk, two doubles (28), his 27th home run and 3 RBI. He also stole his eighth base of the year. His 3 RBI gives him 97 on the season.

Seth Stohs
08-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Today, Miguel Sano was named to the Midwest League's postseason All Star team. He was also named the league's prospect of the year.

Mr. Ed
08-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Congrats to Sano. Hopefully FM is just a brief stop next year.

Seth Stohs
09-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Today, in the final game of the regular season, Sano hit his 28th home run, a solo blast that gave him 100 RBI, a very nice milestone number.

Seth Stohs
09-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Here is the game article with quotes from Sano (through translator Tim Shibuya) on reaching 100 RBI. http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120903&content_id=37831570&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&tcid=tw_share

Seth Stohs
09-06-2012, 06:08 PM
A nice Perfect Game article on Sano, the movie and how much he's grown over the year. I like the part when Nelson Prada mentions that Sano had 30 errors in the first half and just 11 in the second half. They had him start taking ground balls at SS during batting practice which really helped his range at 3B as well.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=7615

kab21
09-08-2012, 03:55 AM
there's a nice video of sano at the above link. Despite his high strikeout rates I don't see a long swing. I see a relatively compact, powerful swing. I also see less up and down head movement than a video from 2 years ago. He still dips his head/shoulders a little when he triggers his swing but mostly it's front to back body movement. tbh - I'm surprised that his swing hit 28 HR's since he's not overswinging at all. that really shows how much raw power he has and why he's ranked so highly.

note - I don't watch a lot of video and someone more knowledgeable could have a different (better) analysis.

Seth Stohs
10-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Tweet from Peter Gammons this afternoon: "As a longtime admirer of most things Twins, am happy to get 3 Miggy Cabrera comps on Miggy Sano in the Instructional League"

Seth Stohs
12-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Check out Miguel Sano's 4th home run last night in the Dominican Winter League.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUOhfjxfl2Y&feature=player_embedded

Teflon
12-14-2012, 09:01 PM
I knew Sano was getting big, but he seems to be getting Delmon Young kind of big now. Looks like he's proficient at hitting taters as well as possibly consuming taters.

jokin
12-18-2012, 07:00 PM
I knew Sano was getting big, but he seems to be getting Delmon Young kind of big now. Looks like he's proficient at hitting taters as well as possibly consuming taters.

Miguel seems to definitely like him some home-cooking. Sure, he's approaching Delmon-like girth now, but he's only 19. At this rate he's on pace to be the next Big Papi or Prince Fielder. Doesn't look good long-term for him playing much 3B in the majors. Hopefully, TR has a nutritionist on call in Fort Meyers.

jokin
12-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Check out Miguel Sano's 4th home run last night in the Dominican Winter League.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUOhfjxfl2Y&feature=player_embedded

Hey Seth! Did you notice that Samuel Deduno got the win against Sano's team that night? He went 6IP/4H/1BB/9K. For the season he's pitched in 5 games, 20 Innings, 26Ks/9BBs...and get this.....0.00 ERA. If you can get a report or know if he's pitching in the WBC, it would be much appreciated!

Sano's numbers after a small sample of 18 games are nearly ridiculous:

317/431/683/1114

Edit: Mea culpa, I just saw your article. Still, what's the buzz on Deduno offseason, going into next season?