PDA

View Full Version : Lurkers and rookies please post here

Pages : [1] 2

glunn
10-17-2013, 02:15 AM
I am opening this thread for the people who visit Twins Daily but have not yet posted on any of the forums.

If you have not yet registered, then you will need to do so. You should also read the TD policy sticky thread at the top of the main forum.

Even if you're a little shy, gather your courage and take a chance and post something here. I believe that you will find that most of us don't bite, and those who do bite better not do it here.

righty8383
10-17-2013, 02:30 AM

grumpyrob
10-17-2013, 08:45 AM
I will eat those cookies. A couple of things I see a head for this off season. 1. We will sign Pelfrey to a two year deal. 2. We will sign a pitcher who is not worth the money and cant strike anyone out (and not Pelfrey). 3. TR will say that the signing is a great signing and try to sell it to the Twins fans. 4. No other signings from FA. 5. Payrol, while not the be all of baseball success, will not increase.

Some other random thoughts....Joe will remain a catcher, he was signed to it, he is great at it, and will have enough say so to keep doing it. I agree with this as well. I take a look at what positions he can play, and see that he can get injured anywhere on the field. We cant protect him from everything. We will not find a first baseman or third baseman for a couple of years. I wonder how the Twins took so many steps back for such a short time TR was gone. I know he was great when he was here, and made some great moves, but didnt he draft those players who were coming up in the ranks before he left? I also think it is time we move on from what front office we have and get someone in place who does take more stock into what role statistics have in the future success a baseball club has. I dont know much, but that is what I think. So, give me some cookies....nom, nom...

Nick Nelson
10-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Great idea Glunn! I'd love to hear from some new voices.

Shane Wahl
10-17-2013, 11:10 AM
I will eat those cookies. A couple of things I see a head for this off season. 1. We will sign Pelfrey to a two year deal. 2. We will sign a pitcher who is not worth the money and cant strike anyone out (and not Pelfrey). 3. TR will say that the signing is a great signing and try to sell it to the Twins fans. 4. No other signings from FA. 5. Payrol, while not the be all of baseball success, will not increase.

Some other random thoughts....Joe will remain a catcher, he was signed to it, he is great at it, and will have enough say so to keep doing it. I agree with this as well. I take a look at what positions he can play, and see that he can get injured anywhere on the field. We cant protect him from everything. We will not find a first baseman or third baseman for a couple of years. I wonder how the Twins took so many steps back for such a short time TR was gone. I know he was great when he was here, and made some great moves, but didnt he draft those players who were coming up in the ranks before he left? I also think it is time we move on from what front office we have and get someone in place who does take more stock into what role statistics have in the future success a baseball club has. I dont know much, but that is what I think. So, give me some cookies....nom, nom...

These predictions seem frighteningly likely to play out. That's pretty accurate. And . . . I just can't believe any of it.

best game in the world
10-17-2013, 01:00 PM
It was a wonderful evening in 1987, my best friend Mark and I had been wondering the streets of Minneapolis for hours, there were hundreds of folks seemingly in the same situation as ours. We saw signs, people dressed in costumes, yelling catchy and witty lines to everyone they passed. Mark and I talked of Hrbek launching another miracle homerun in the 9th. Seeing Bert close down the Royals at the dome on that magical Sunday. All tolled we had made over 40 games that season, what a fantastic night. We dodged cars, ticked off crossing guards, I suppose we could have walked 10 miles, the entire season was recounted. Beating the Tigers and talking our parents into letting us go to congratulate our heros at the Dome with fifty thousand of our closest friends... The game was about to start and it was time to call my Mom and have her come and pick us up, still no tickets. We were making our way to the Twins ticket office area to use the pay phone. " You boys need tickets?" a man dressed in a suit asked. No sooner had he asked, at least 10 people swarmed around him. He told all the other folks to get lost, and asked again "You boys need tickets right?" I mumbled something and he understood it to be a yes. He hands 2 tickets to us, section 114. Mark asks "how much"? The man looks puzzled, pauses and says it "dosen't matter" and disappears in the crowd.

That man, Bob Allison.

Shane Wahl
10-17-2013, 01:20 PM
It was a wonderful evening in 1987, my best friend Mark and I had been wondering the streets of Minneapolis for hours, there were hundreds of folks seemingly in the same situation as ours. We saw signs, people dressed in costumes, yelling catchy and witty lines to everyone they passed. Mark and I talked of Hrbek launching another miracle homerun in the 9th. Seeing Bert close down the Royals at the dome on that magical Sunday. All tolled we had made over 40 games that season, what a fantastic night. We dodged cars, ticked off crossing guards, I suppose we could have walked 10 miles, the entire season was recounted. Beating the Tigers and talking our parents into letting us go to congratulate our heros at the Dome with fifty thousand of our closest friends... The game was about to start and it was time to call my Mom and have her come and pick us up, still no tickets. We were making our way to the Twins ticket office area to use the pay phone. " You boys need tickets?" a man dressed in a suit asked. No sooner had he asked, at least 10 people swarmed around him. He told all the other folks to get lost, and asked again "You boys need tickets right?" I mumbled something and he understood it to be a yes. He hands 2 tickets to us, section 114. Mark asks "how much"? The man looks puzzled, pauses and says it "dosen't matter" and disappears in the crowd.

That man, Bob Allison.

What?????? Ok, another nominee for best post on TD ever.

glunn
10-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Great posts, rookies! Now we need some lurkers to join in. Please don't be shy.

Riverbrian
10-17-2013, 01:29 PM

That man, Bob Allison.

Great Story

Oldgoat_MN
10-17-2013, 01:50 PM
That man, Bob Allison.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that!

TheDean
10-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Not sure if I can follow up the tale from best game in the world, especially because 1987 is half legend/folklore to me as a child of the 90s. My best memories are watching the Twins lose the ALCS to the rally monkeys (along with the Vikings losing their NFC championships-especially '98, the Wild losing their Western Conference championship, and the T-wolves losing theirs. As an aside, I recently attended UW-Madison, allowing me to jettison my Gophers fandom for the Badgers. While more successful than the Gophs, watching three straight Rose Bowl losses has been tough to stomach.)

The point of that whole story is that I'm reluctant to get too excited about the Twins' talent in the minors. I've never really witnessed victory by any of my sports teams ever in 20+ years of conscious life. I've seen abject defeat, like the last few Twins seasons. Those are actually easy to take since they had low expectations and low-level results. I've seen boundless hope, as with the Twins in the ALCS a decade ago, which is really fun to be a part of, but has never resulting in anything other than heartbreak.

Now that I've introduced myself as a pessimistic, poor-me sap...
My concern for next season (not pitching because everyone already knows that):
Ability to get on base/contact
I realize that on-base percentage and contact rates aren't the same thing, but they're both necessary to improve the offense from this season's dismal showing. It was somewhat expected due to the number of young players this year, but a number of veterans also seemed to regress. The result was an exceptionally high number of strikeouts, and strikeouts significantly lowered the number of baserunners the Twins had, while ensuring that no contact would be made to drive the few souls in scoring position in to home.

Ultimately, it's difficult to envision a different situation next year. Mauer will be Mauer, but Dozier/Florimon/Plouffe (or Sano) don't scream "table setter" to me. Arcia/Pinto/Herrman were all young this year and have a lot of room to improve, but their tendencies seem to be in the "swing away" mold (Pinto and Herrman I'm less sure about due to the limited looks we got). Hammer and Doumit are who they are. They've got pop, but pitchers aren't worried about pitching around them since they have no protection and won't hurt them on the basepaths.

Given these ideas of who will be filling in the lineup next year, I just don't see who is getting on base to produce runs...with one exception: Hicks. Rapid improvement of Hicks in the batter's box will be necessary to give the Twins a true table setter. Pressley can be a stop-gap (better than Thomas and *probably* Mastro), but Hicks will need to be in place as a top of the order bat by the end of the year. Ideally, he takes the pressure off Buxton once he's up and could slide to #2. I like the sound of Buxton, new&improved Hicks, Mauer.

MNRebel
10-17-2013, 02:52 PM
This is a great site. The minor league reports are a daily read during the season...thanks a million for those. It is also great to know there are so many passionate fans of our favorite team. Is this too optomistic for producing runs?

July 4, 2014 batting order

#1 - Byron Buxton, CF
#2 - Eddie Rosario, 2B
#3 - Joe Mauer, 1B
#4 - Miguel Sano, 3B
#5 - Josh Willingham, DH
#6 - Oswaldo Arcia, RF
#7 - Josmil Pinto, C
#8 - Aaron Hicks, LF
#9 - Pedro Florimon, SS

I'd buy a ticket.

CRF_EC
10-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the opportunity for my first and probably last post to Twins Daily. I have been a Twins fan for over 45 years. I’ve been lucky enough to have seen games at Met stadium, the Metrodome and Target Field. I also remember being ecstatic when Carl Pohlad bought the team from Cal Griffith.

I’ve also seen more bad teams than good teams. There have certainly been times where there were players I didn’t like, managers did things that were aggravating and owners that made decisions that disappointed me. For those times, I remember back to the whole Twins experience. It didn’t mean we didn’t have fun at the ballpark. At the Met, a favorite pastime was turning over empty cups and stomping on them to pop them and make an echo, all the while waiting for Killebrew to come bat. In the early eighties, four or five of us would head to the Metrodome, plop down our four bucks for the cheap seats. The Twins weren’t good so we really didn’t care who was on the field. We’d each draw a number from 1-9, that was our batter for each team. If that batter hit a homerun everyone else had to buy you a beer. Not so bad, when the score was 2-1, “ horrible” if it was 8-5. Razzing Brewers’ fans was another favorite time, especially in the game where the Twins got up 8-4 in the fourth inning, and the Brewers fans left. Good thing because the Brewers started hitting and won 13-9 and there were no Brewers fans left to razz us. At least we got to see Ben Ogilvie (Brewers) hit the longest home run hit in the Metrodome. At age 25, I remember bawling my eyes out when my beloved Twins won the 1987 World Series. The 1991 World Series win was great but couldn’t top the excitement of 87. I also remember nearly bawling when the Twins were being contracted and the feeling of elation when they weren’t. Since then, the rest of the years have been gravy, with some lumpy potatoes.

I have a reason for taking you on a trip down my memory lane. Since the season has ended (at times during the season), most of the discussion here at TwinsDaily has taken a negative, many times aggressive tone. Quoting dictionary definitions and having moderators have to give out warnings on regular basis is a bit over the top for me. I don’t want to give the impression that I don’t think there should be discussion on both sides of a topic. That is the root of all sports fans. I will say that if your only measure of success for the Twins is to make the playoffs, win the playoffs, and win the World Series, you probably are in for a lot of disappointment. I don’t say that because it’s the Twins – There were 20 teams in the same boat this year. I can’t help but fear that the disappointment will diminish your overall Twins experience and cloud the memories that come with it.

I’ve been trying to find an analogy… Being at TwinsDaily is like going with friends to a Bar to discuss the Twins. Everyone will have an opinion and there will be disagreements. If there is that one friend that is always negative and repeats the same arguments over and over, you’d stop asking them to come to the bar with you. I know this is not the right thing to do especially with TwinsDaily. As an alternative, I can look for another bar.

A have a special thanks to John. I stumbled on to TwinsGeek quite few years ago as a Minnesotan, transplanted to Packerland, starving for inside Twins info. This led me to Aaron Gleeman, Seth and too many others to mention. The blogs have given me a new perspective about the sport and favorite sports team I am passionate about. Although I am a mathematician by education, I had not delved into the statistics of baseball and am especially happy that others on this site are doing it for me to read and analyze.

Although I am passionate about the Twins, I do want to say that I am just as disappointed as most of you in the performance of the team over the last three years. It hasn’t stopped me from throwing on my Twin’s cap as much as possible, sneaking a look at the box scores every day, or stopping to watch a couple innings on the TV. In these down times, I’ll focus on my overall Twins experience where no matter what, being at a ballpark on a summer evening is an experience to remember no matter what the outcome is. I’ll do this despite looking like one of the uninformed, foolishly optimistic, bandwagon fans that are looked down upon.

I'll probably stick around at this "Bar" for a bit longer - I'm enjoying reliving the 87 World Series. Later next year I'll poke my head in now and then to see how the minor leagues are shaping up.

I'll close this long ramble by saying that my experience here has been mostly positive. I'm not convinced that I want to go through the whole off-season dreading that next article on how awful everything is.

ashburyjohn
10-17-2013, 07:38 PM
I’ve been trying to find an analogy… Being at TwinsDaily is like going with friends to a Bar to discuss the Twins. Everyone will have an opinion and there will be disagreements. If there is that one friend that is always negative and repeats the same arguments over and over, you’d stop asking them to come to the bar with you. I know this is not the right thing to do especially with TwinsDaily. As an alternative, I can look for another bar.

Moderator's note: Thanks for the observation. Not my intention to derail the thread, but as you could infer from Glunn's intro to this thread, the moderation team actually takes very seriously exactly the atmosphere you allude to. Indeed from time to time a few of the "bar's patrons" have been shown the door - some with more regret than with others - not specifically for negativity but for making it difficult for other patrons to enjoy their time at the site. Now back to the thread.

ChiTownTwinsFan
10-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the opportunity for my first and probably last post to Twins Daily. I have been a Twins fan for over 45 years. I’ve been lucky enough to have seen games at Met stadium, the Metrodome and Target Field. I also remember being ecstatic when Carl Pohlad bought the team from Cal Griffith.

I’ve also seen more bad teams than good teams. There have certainly been times where there were players I didn’t like, managers did things that were aggravating and owners that made decisions that disappointed me. For those times, I remember back to the whole Twins experience. It didn’t mean we didn’t have fun at the ballpark. At the Met, a favorite pastime was turning over empty cups and stomping on them to pop them and make an echo, all the while waiting for Killebrew to come bat. In the early eighties, four or five of us would head to the Metrodome, plop down our four bucks for the cheap seats. The Twins weren’t good so we really didn’t care who was on the field. We’d each draw a number from 1-9, that was our batter for each team. If that batter hit a homerun everyone else had to buy you a beer. Not so bad, when the score was 2-1, “ horrible” if it was 8-5. Razzing Brewers’ fans was another favorite time, especially in the game where the Twins got up 8-4 in the fourth inning, and the Brewers fans left. Good thing because the Brewers started hitting and won 13-9 and there were no Brewers fans left to razz us. At least we got to see Ben Ogilvie (Brewers) hit the longest home run hit in the Metrodome. At age 25, I remember bawling my eyes out when my beloved Twins won the 1987 World Series. The 1991 World Series win was great but couldn’t top the excitement of 87. I also remember nearly bawling when the Twins were being contracted and the feeling of elation when they weren’t. Since then, the rest of the years have been gravy, with some lumpy potatoes.

Thanks for the trip ... you and I are of the same vintage. These memories are mine as well. I hope you keep posting ...

Let It Sano
10-17-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm probably one of the younger members on here (16) but when I saw this thread I thought it would be a great time to make my first post. I've been a Twins fan ever since I watched Johan Santana throw that gem in Game 1 of the 2004 ALDS. (Ironically that's the last playoff game they've won). I loved Johan and almost cried when they traded him. He is a FA this winter and I 100% think they should bring him back. He has had a lot of injuries with the Mets and will most likely never be the Ace he once was, but he would still be a great low risk/high reward signing. It would be a huge PR boost for an org that has taken a beating lately. He would most likely sell out Target Field quick if he ever made a start. He would provide lefty pitching depth which is probably our biggest need. At the very least Johan would be a great veteran presence for the younger pitchers to learn from. And he can strike guys out which is always good. That is all.

ashburyjohn
10-17-2013, 09:42 PM
I loved Johan and almost cried when they traded him.

Almost? What's the point of being ten years old if you can't cry when they trade your ace? :)

USAFChief
10-17-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm probably one of the younger members on here (16) but when I saw this thread I thought it would be a great time to make my first post. I've been a Twins fan ever since I watched Johan Santana throw that gem in Game 1 of the 2004 ALDS. (Ironically that's the last playoff game they've won). I loved Johan and almost cried when they traded him. He is a FA this winter and I 100% think they should bring him back. He has had a lot of injuries with the Mets and will most likely never be the Ace he once was, but he would still be a great low risk/high reward signing. It would be a huge PR boost for an org that has taken a beating lately. He would most likely sell out Target Field quick if he ever made a start. He would provide lefty pitching depth which is probably our biggest need. At the very least Johan would be a great veteran presence for the younger pitchers to learn from. And he can strike guys out which is always good. That is all.
LOVE the username.

ThePuck
10-17-2013, 09:52 PM
I loved Johan and almost cried when they traded him.

Hey, me too! Except I was 38 :-)

MinnesotaMike
10-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Nice website. I find it intriguing to see what has been written about each and every day.

The biggest reason I come to the site is that one of my best friends in high school was Seth Stohs and I really enjoy checking up on him since we don't have a chance to talk very much anymore. Seth stood up for me at my wedding like 19 years ago and I have always had a lot of respect for him as a person.

As for the Twins... where do they even start? This roster is a complete mess and the current management in place hasn't really shown or given the fan base anything that they are the group that can turn things around. Well, everyone has their solutions as to what the Twins should do this offseason. I'm not smart enough to get into that discussion. To be honest, I don't think there is a reason to discuss the possibility of any moves being made, because to date, there hasn't been anything done ever by Mr. Terry Ryan. I still think that the Twins have not yet hit rock bottom, though.

MinnesotaMike
10-17-2013, 10:47 PM
I just wanted to post a 2nd time so I didn't have the number 1 by my name.

righty8383
10-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Hey, me too! Except I was 38 :-)

Don't you still cry when you get a flu shot, Puck?;)

To be honest, I don't think there is a reason to discuss the possibility of any moves being made, because to date, there hasn't been anything done ever by Mr. Terry Ryan. I still think that the Twins have not yet hit rock bottom, though.

I agree with your hesitation about getting hopes up. I however, DO think we've hit rock bottom. We might still be a few years away from contention because our young core will surely have some growing pains. I think we'll see a steady improvement starting next year.

On a different note, regarding this thread, I wasn't sure what to expect. Glad to see some new names chime in.

Let It Sano
10-17-2013, 11:03 PM
I just wanted to post a 2nd time so I didn't have the number 1 by my name.

Good idea.

USAFChief
10-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Good idea.
+1.

ThePuck
10-17-2013, 11:09 PM
Don't you still cry when you get a flu shot, Puck?;)

I told you that in confidence man...so not cool :-)

Shane Wahl
10-18-2013, 01:02 AM
This thread has already been very worth it, for many reasons.

One, it HAS brought out "lurkers and rookies" to say interesting things (and they should stick with it!)

Two, it serves as a nice mini-reset button for some petty disagreements

glunn
10-18-2013, 01:13 AM

That man, Bob Allison.

This post is beyond excellent, and I hope that you consider converting it to a blog that might even be posted on the main page as an article. If you have any more stories like this, or even 10% as good as this, please post them.

One good feature of TD is that anyone can create blog posts, and sometimes these get added to the main page as articles.

acrozelle
10-18-2013, 01:38 AM
I don't have much to post at the moment. That will definitely change once we see how the off-season plays out. But for now I have to say, this teams farm system makes me as giddy as a school girl.

glunn
10-18-2013, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the opportunity for my first and probably last post to Twins Daily. I have been a Twins fan for over 45 years. Iíve been lucky enough to have seen games at Met stadium, the Metrodome and Target Field. I also remember being ecstatic when Carl Pohlad bought the team from Cal Griffith.

Iíve also seen more bad teams than good teams. There have certainly been times where there were players I didnít like, managers did things that were aggravating and owners that made decisions that disappointed me. For those times, I remember back to the whole Twins experience. It didnít mean we didnít have fun at the ballpark. At the Met, a favorite pastime was turning over empty cups and stomping on them to pop them and make an echo, all the while waiting for Killebrew to come bat. In the early eighties, four or five of us would head to the Metrodome, plop down our four bucks for the cheap seats. The Twins werenít good so we really didnít care who was on the field. Weíd each draw a number from 1-9, that was our batter for each team. If that batter hit a homerun everyone else had to buy you a beer. Not so bad, when the score was 2-1, ď horribleĒ if it was 8-5. Razzing Brewersí fans was another favorite time, especially in the game where the Twins got up 8-4 in the fourth inning, and the Brewers fans left. Good thing because the Brewers started hitting and won 13-9 and there were no Brewers fans left to razz us. At least we got to see Ben Ogilvie (Brewers) hit the longest home run hit in the Metrodome. At age 25, I remember bawling my eyes out when my beloved Twins won the 1987 World Series. The 1991 World Series win was great but couldnít top the excitement of 87. I also remember nearly bawling when the Twins were being contracted and the feeling of elation when they werenít. Since then, the rest of the years have been gravy, with some lumpy potatoes.

I have a reason for taking you on a trip down my memory lane. Since the season has ended (at times during the season), most of the discussion here at TwinsDaily has taken a negative, many times aggressive tone. Quoting dictionary definitions and having moderators have to give out warnings on regular basis is a bit over the top for me. I donít want to give the impression that I donít think there should be discussion on both sides of a topic. That is the root of all sports fans. I will say that if your only measure of success for the Twins is to make the playoffs, win the playoffs, and win the World Series, you probably are in for a lot of disappointment. I donít say that because itís the Twins Ė There were 20 teams in the same boat this year. I canít help but fear that the disappointment will diminish your overall Twins experience and cloud the memories that come with it.

Iíve been trying to find an analogyÖ Being at TwinsDaily is like going with friends to a Bar to discuss the Twins. Everyone will have an opinion and there will be disagreements. If there is that one friend that is always negative and repeats the same arguments over and over, youíd stop asking them to come to the bar with you. I know this is not the right thing to do especially with TwinsDaily. As an alternative, I can look for another bar.

A have a special thanks to John. I stumbled on to TwinsGeek quite few years ago as a Minnesotan, transplanted to Packerland, starving for inside Twins info. This led me to Aaron Gleeman, Seth and too many others to mention. The blogs have given me a new perspective about the sport and favorite sports team I am passionate about. Although I am a mathematician by education, I had not delved into the statistics of baseball and am especially happy that others on this site are doing it for me to read and analyze.

Although I am passionate about the Twins, I do want to say that I am just as disappointed as most of you in the performance of the team over the last three years. It hasnít stopped me from throwing on my Twinís cap as much as possible, sneaking a look at the box scores every day, or stopping to watch a couple innings on the TV. In these down times, Iíll focus on my overall Twins experience where no matter what, being at a ballpark on a summer evening is an experience to remember no matter what the outcome is. Iíll do this despite looking like one of the uninformed, foolishly optimistic, bandwagon fans that are looked down upon.

I'll probably stick around at this "Bar" for a bit longer - I'm enjoying reliving the 87 World Series. Later next year I'll poke my head in now and then to see how the minor leagues are shaping up.

I'll close this long ramble by saying that my experience here has been mostly positive. I'm not convinced that I want to go through the whole off-season dreading that next article on how awful everything is.

So you hit a home run in your first and only at bat, then you retire? Teaser!

I understand your dislike for the negativity and the bickering. The moderators are working hard to reduce the bickering. The negativity is another matter. We have some members who are generally negative and critical, and other members who are generally positive and supportive of the FO. We are trying to foster intelligent, respectful debate that includes the extremists from both ends of the spectrum, and that means that there will continue to be some posts that are annoyingly negative. There will also be posts that some people find annoyingly positive.

I am grateful for your post. Even our senior moderators have been doing this for less than a year. We are all rookies and we are learning as we go. Your input and AshburyJohn's response have crystallized some ideas in my mind and I hope that you will let us know if you find a better bar -- we are open to learning from the success of others.

Erock
10-18-2013, 03:08 AM
The Twins won the world series in 1991 on my first birthday. My uncle spilled beer on me that night.

Also

2 of Kazmir, Hughes, Jimenez, Lincecum, Nolasco, Feldman, Johnson or Tanaka need to be in Twins uniforms next year. In addition, a third pitcher, perhaps someone like Mike Pelfrey or Randy Messenger or even Johan Santana should be brought in, particularly if one of the first 2 is an injury risk like Kazmir or Johnson. My body is not ready for another year of **** and 4.5K per 9 from every starter. While the current free agent class of SP is pretty ugly for playoff caliber squads, it's strangely good for the Twins current situation.

jokin
10-18-2013, 03:22 AM

Welcome LIS! Your post gives me hope that at least in some quarters, our education system still teaches proper grammatical usage (only one adjective/adverb misstep on "quick" in your entire post, most of us make worse mistakes in every sentence) and how to convey your thoughts effectively. I have a sneaking suspicion that you'll be writing your own blog some day soon, but please stay around, I suspect you have a lot to offer here!

gil4
10-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Almost? What's the point of being ten years old if you can't cry when they trade your ace? :)

He's sixteen now - not allowed to admit it.

Let It Sano
10-18-2013, 08:39 AM
He's sixteen now - not allowed to admit it.

All right maybe a sob and a tear... or three.

Let It Sano
10-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Welcome LIS! Your post gives me hope that at least in some quarters, our education system still teaches proper grammatical usage (only one adjective/adverb misstep on "quick" in your entire post, most of us make worse mistakes in every sentence) and how to convey your thoughts effectively. I have a sneaking suspicion that you'll be writing your own blog some day soon, but please stay around, I suspect you have a lot to offer here!

Haha thanks! I think I'll be here to stay. Also, props to whoever designed the mobile site. It's pretty great.

Blackjack
10-18-2013, 08:50 AM
This is a great site, I followed Seth over here from his site but Iíve become more of a lurker because of:

1) The Negativity. Someone else mentioned it and I thought Iíd second the thought. Iíve gotten to the point where I donít read the comments, or if I do I just skim thru and read the ones from the original founders.
2) Lack of tolerance for lack of baseball knowledge. I participate in a lot of other forums on fishing, hunting, farming, etc. and everyone is always very helpful, not here, Iíve been blasted for posting something Ďstupidí. That keeps me from replying to posts, I just lurk instead.
3) English lessons. Iíve been blasted for using the wrong argument, had ĎOccamís razorí thrown at me Ė what difference does it make? Is this a Twins baseball forum or an English lesson forum?? Again it inhibits posting.

It IS a very informative site, Iíve learned a lot about baseball, and I never used to follow the Twins minor league system. Keep up the good work!!

Side note to the administrators, you need more horsepower, the site is getting slow to load...

Jim Crikket
10-18-2013, 08:57 AM
Some really great "first posts."

CRF_EC, I certainly hope that's not your last post. This site needs more participation from people for whom Tony, the Killer and Carew are more than just pictures in a book of Twins history. I think we can bring some perspective occasionally to all these "kids"!

JB_Iowa
10-18-2013, 09:06 AM
2) Lack of tolerance for lack of baseball knowledge. I participate in a lot of other forums on fishing, hunting, farming, etc. and everyone is always very helpful, not here, I’ve been blasted for posting something ‘stupid’. That keeps me from replying to posts, I just lurk instead....

Side note to the administrators, you need more horsepower, the site is getting slow to load...

Always feel free to join me in saying something "stupid", I do it quite often. I just cannot get into the advanced stats that people like to throw around. I can learn from them but I will never really absorb them. But there is room for a lot of different perspectives so I hope you'll post from time to time. (And, if you just want to post for fun, go into the game chats on occasion once the season starts again. )

The mods are really working to clamp down on some of the things that you complain about (a little too much for me sometimes because it stops the flow of the thread but it does seem to have paid off in a little more civility).

And I agree that the site has gotten slow although to add to that, it seems a little more sporadic to me and not necessarily when people are posting a lot so I don't get it.

ashburyjohn
10-18-2013, 11:38 AM
All right maybe a sob and a tear... or three.

In another five years, you'll look back and say, "hey, I wasn't three or anything - when ten year olds cry it's only about the *important* things".

zchrz
10-18-2013, 04:30 PM
But comments wouldn't go through for me, so I will try again. I am a displaced twins fan from MN living in CA, and I work at a sports bar so I have had to watch Giants fans celebrate their world series, the Niners fans celebrate getting to the super bowl (and then watching their spirits crushed), and now the Dodgers run all while bemoaning how many damn sports teams there are in this state and how none of the MN ones I root for are any good at the moment (holding out hope for the Wolves). I thought Gardy should have been let go but it isn't a disaster hes back, I wonder if it was a move to ease Mauer's transition to first, it might have been a more difficult sell if it was a new staff telling him to hang up the catching gear. I have hopes of improvement for 2014 though I think playoffs is a pretty long shot, once the kids are here and seasoned though things will get interesting. I hope the Pohland's are not just blowing smoke about spending money, they need to acquire some legit major league starters so there is a culture of winning for the prospects to come up too. I really hope they do not bring Pelfrey back, I can't handle watching him pitch. Oh and Pat Neshek is definitely my favorite Twin of all time, moar submarine please.

lyndon
10-18-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm a long time lurker here and will definitely admit I don't have the baseball IQ of a lot of people on here, so I'm thankful for all the stats figured out by others. I too have a lot of hope for the future because of the farm. For now our pitching is pretty unbelievably bad though. But I think that can change. I heard someone say this about politics but I think it applies to sports too, "Things are never as good or bad as they seem." So there is definitely hope.

And about the Twins WS in 87 and 91 I have a very different take. Back then when I was a kid I lived in Canada and was a Jays fan. I remember really hating the Twins after they beat "my" Jays in the ALCS in 91. Then the Jays won in 92 and 93 and I basically forgot about baseball for 10 years and didn't follow it. As destiny would have it I moved to Minnesota in 03. A buddy of mine was a huge Twins fan and I quickly found myself falling in love with the Twins. Each year got me more into it especially 06. In 2010 I found myself addicted to the Twins and watched almost every game! The irony is that all the teams I cheer for usually suck, and out of my favorite teams, the last team in any sport to win a championship is a team I could care less about now and the team I care about now won championships exactly when I didn't care about them.:banghead: Oh well, someday. Cheers

Han Joelo
10-18-2013, 09:03 PM
I arrived here via Bill Simmons-Batgirl-Gleeman-Seth and the rest of the crew. Really enjoy the content. Thanks for the site. Now how about some AFL content already!!!

Ultima Ratio
10-18-2013, 09:50 PM

I'll second that. Slowest site I visit.

twinsnorth49
10-18-2013, 10:11 PM

10!!? I cried, and I was.....ummm, older than 10.

twinsnorth49
10-18-2013, 10:31 PM
And about the Twins WS in 87 and 91 I have a very different take. Back then when I was a kid I lived in Canada and was a Jays fan. I remember really hating the Twins after they beat "my" Jays in the ALCS in 91.

Thanks for bringing this up, it's one of my favourite Twins memories of all time. As almost all of my friends are Jays fans, it allowed for some of the best gloating I've ever had.

MC23
10-19-2013, 02:23 AM
I stumbled on this site near the beginning of the season and have come back daily to read the articles as well as hear everyone's opinion on the minor league players. I've been a Twins fan since day 1, but the game that changed everything and made me a huge Twins fan was game 4 of the 2002 ALDS against the Athletics. My dad and I happened to be downtown before the game and he decided to see if we could get in. We got cheap seats in the upper deck (behind the rolled up curtain). In the fourth inning the Twins broke the 2-2 tie with a 7 run inning. The Twins ended up winning the game 11-2 which tied the series at 2 game apiece. The crowd went absolutely crazy during that 7 run inning. As an 11 year old kid at this game, the Twins had me hooked.

Anyways, on to my views on a few minor league players. I saw Buxton play in early June in Cedar Rapids. He looks absolutely incredible. No doubt one of the fastest players I have seen in person. I regret not going to see him more when he was still in CR. It will be interesting to see what he can do next season in the minors. Spring Training will be something to watch closely. If Sano puts up a monster Spring Training, will the Twins give him a shot from the beginning or will they take it slow and start him at AAA? (Let's please not start the Sano isn't Hicks argument again). Speaking of Hicks, I haven't given up on him; I think he can turn into a very good MLB player. I hope to see him up next year.

Thanks to everyone who keeps this site going. I might not post too often, but I will be here daily to keep up with the latest Twins news.

DAM DC Twins Fans
10-19-2013, 10:25 AM
This is a great site, I followed Seth over here from his site but Iíve become more of a lurker because of:

1) The Negativity. Someone else mentioned it and I thought Iíd second the thought. Iíve gotten to the point where I donít read the comments, or if I do I just skim thru and read the ones from the original founders.
2) Lack of tolerance for lack of baseball knowledge. I participate in a lot of other forums on fishing, hunting, farming, etc. and everyone is always very helpful, not here, Iíve been blasted for posting something Ďstupidí. That keeps me from replying to posts, I just lurk instead.
3) English lessons. Iíve been blasted for using the wrong argument, had ĎOccamís razorí thrown at me Ė what difference does it make? Is this a Twins baseball forum or an English lesson forum?? Again it inhibits posting.

It IS a very informative site, Iíve learned a lot about baseball, and I never used to follow the Twins minor league system. Keep up the good work!!

My story is a little different--I came via the Bat Girl, Howard Sinker route...I love the minor league stuff on this site and adapted two prospects in 2013.

Lately I have gotten frustrated by some of the comments and negativity and have started posting less...this site is the SLOWEST to lead of all sites I visit and I find that very frustrating.

I will continue to visit and read stuff that Seth and Nick post. I have started just skimming comments, I may become more of a lurker and not sure I will adapt another prospect.

tbrossi
10-19-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm, an off and on lurker, found though Bonnes on KFAN and G & G. I follow Parker and Seth on Twitter. Great site for minors info.

Here's my take. Terry Ryan needs to buy pitchers this off season if he wants fans to care next season.

He has used trades, rule 5 draft, 1st year player draft and the waiver claim process well.

I don't want the Twins to used the minor league talent they have worked so hard to build up, to give it away via trade. I feel Terry Ryan is like the old guy who still remembers when candy bars were a nickel. You just have to pay for talent. You need more big league talent. Don't give away the talent/prospects you have. Take a shot at Phil Hughes and Tim Linsecum... and get them. Or wow us by getting Tanaka. Don't just say you were in on them. The fans will forgive you if you overspend on starting pitching. Build a bridge to the talent that is coming and we won't have to be so depressed when they may struggle out of the gate i.e Gibson.

Is it unreasonable to ask that the Twins use the money they didn't spend this year and roll it over into next year, in addition to just adding to the payroll from last year?

JB_Iowa
10-19-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm the same age as Terry Ryan.

I remember "lunch bars" -- 3 cents!

lyndon
10-19-2013, 10:12 PM
It's hard to imagine cheering for the Jays now. BTW twinsnorth are you from Manitoba? It seems like there's a decent number of Twins fans up there? I grew up in Swan River.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
10-19-2013, 10:56 PM
So you hit a home run in your first and only at bat, then you retire? Teaser!

I understand your dislike for the negativity and the bickering. The moderators are working hard to reduce the bickering. The negativity is another matter. We have some members who are generally negative and critical, and other members who are generally positive and supportive of the FO. We are trying to foster intelligent, respectful debate that includes the extremists from both ends of the spectrum, and that means that there will continue to be some posts that are annoyingly negative. There will also be posts that some people find annoyingly positive.

I am grateful for your post. Even our senior moderators have been doing this for less than a year. We are all rookies and we are learning as we go. Your input and AshburyJohn's response have crystallized some ideas in my mind and I hope that you will let us know if you find a better bar -- we are open to learning from the success of others.

I'd like to think I've hit 1,000HRs, but if this is the standard well....

twinsnorth49
10-20-2013, 12:23 PM
It's hard to imagine cheering for the Jays now. BTW twinsnorth are you from Manitoba? It seems like there's a decent number of Twins fans up there? I grew up in Swan River.

Yup, I'm a born and bred Winnipegger, nice to see another 'Toban aboard. I spent a week in Swan River one afternoon (Harry Chapin credit).

You're right, there is a fair number of Twins fans in Manitoba, it's surprising how much Twins merch you see being worn here, I sometimes think we out number Jays fans in these parts, some of my friends aside.
My Grandfather was a huge Killebrew fan and my love for the team was born from that, I've never taken to the Jays, I've only been to a couple of games in TO but have seen the Twins countless times in all 3 stadiums, they are a much more natural team to root for due to the proximity and realistic opportunity to attend games.

My second team was the Expos, I always had a soft spot for them and was a big Steve Rogers fan, it was sad when they left.

lyndon
10-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Yes! I loved the Expos! I actually probably liked them more than the Jays. It's just they never got anywhere.

Reider
10-20-2013, 10:40 PM
I remember it like it was yesterday. I was 9 years old, sitting on my living room floor in Regina, Sk, Canada watching Kirby Puckett make an amazing catch against the plexi glass at the Metrodome, then later, the game winning home run to force a game 7 in the 1991 World Series. I had never seen such an amazing performance before.

Up until this point my parents would usually make the 3 day drive to Phoenix, Arizona for spring training baseball. But after the 1991 World Series, things changed. In 1992 we made the 12 or 13 hour drive to Minneapolis to watch baseball instead. We ended up having such a great time that we have been going back (not every year, but many years) ever since. My dad and I have become die hard Twins fans and our family enjoys going back to Minnesota every chance we get.

We have seen dozens of live Twins games at the Metrodome and Target Field in the 20+ years that we have been going there. We have seen and met a lot of great Twins players over the years. And in general, whether it's watching live sporting events, shopping, going to the zoo, or just going out on the town, Minnesota has been great to us. The people of Minnesota are friendly and we always look forward to our next trip down south.

It's been tough watching the Twins over the last 3 years and I"m sure the next couple years will be tough as well. However, I really hope the Twins become contenders in the next few years. I hope the front office isn't afraid to spend $ once the young guys are established MLB players. I'm about as die hard of a fan as you can find, but even I have to admit that it's painful watching the front office kick the can down the road like they are currently doing.

twinsnorth49
10-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Yes! I loved the Expos! I actually probably liked them more than the Jays. It's just they never got anywhere.

Who knows how history could have turned out differently if that cursed strike of '94 never happened.

AHSaves
10-21-2013, 12:07 PM
I am the definition of a lurker. I read this site every day and have my own account. I feel like I'm in break-up mode since I don't have minor league updates in my life. My guess at my lack of posts is that I grew up in a strange time in Twins history (born in 86). My remembered golden days are the almost perennial pink slip from the Yankee in the playoffs. I cant imagine how it felt to go to bed knowing game 7 was tomorrow! Now I've watched a slow slip into mediocrity (and worse) and all the negativity already exist without my comments.

After reading a few other threads I believe we should model ourselves after the A's. Not necessarily flipping talent so fast and worrying about a budget, but building in a way to catch lightning in a bottle and ride that electricity into the playoffs. I might guess our championship teams weren't so different. Yes, a dynasty would be wonderful but the Twins don't seem to have that mindset.

Sign Josh Johnson to a one year 9MM with crazy incentives. That ace potential with our pitchers park seems worth it then hopefully resign him if there's mutual interest. Get Phil Hughes for 3 years since he's relatively young. Not sure how much cause I feel his salary is going to be inflated. Next, get Kazmir as well! Solid history (though TR doesn't pay for it and Lincecum is trending negatively for me to name him) and shouldn't be too expensive. I'd go 6-8MM for a number of years offset of Hughes. Last, sign Aledmys Diaz, Cuban SS. Those moves probably exhaust our extra payroll but, at face value, seem to address short and long term goals as the minor league cavalry are on their way.

Thanks if you read this. Haha.

70charger
10-23-2013, 12:39 PM
I have a reason for taking you on a trip down my memory lane. Since the season has ended (at times during the season), most of the discussion here at TwinsDaily has taken a negative, many times aggressive tone. Quoting dictionary definitions and having moderators have to give out warnings on regular basis is a bit over the top for me. I don’t want to give the impression that I don’t think there should be discussion on both sides of a topic. That is the root of all sports fans. I will say that if your only measure of success for the Twins is to make the playoffs, win the playoffs, and win the World Series, you probably are in for a lot of disappointment. I don’t say that because it’s the Twins – There were 20 teams in the same boat this year. I can’t help but fear that the disappointment will diminish your overall Twins experience and cloud the memories that come with it.

This more or less describes why, despite my post count, I'm basically a lurker these days too. Sometimes it's difficult to contain my frustration with the same old crap over and over again.

Though I have found the ignore function to be a ridiculously useful tool. There's still a lot of good content here, and it helps not to have sort through the usual suspects. I also tend to spend more time over on the minor league side of things. It's nicer there.

Seth Stohs
10-23-2013, 01:39 PM
The biggest reason I come to the site is that one of my best friends in high school was Seth Stohs and I really enjoy checking up on him since we don't have a chance to talk very much anymore. Seth stood up for me at my wedding like 19 years ago and I have always had a lot of respect for him as a person.

19 years ago... man, you're old!! Ha!!

mike wants wins
10-23-2013, 01:40 PM
What a great thread. Thanks everyone.

Seth Stohs
10-23-2013, 01:47 PM

Great feedback. I really do appreciate the feedback, and I 100% agree with all of it. One of the fears I had, and I honestly don't think there is a realistic solution, was as a site gets bigger and more populated, the comments can become a horrible experience. Frankly, I don't participate in as many forum discussions as I used to because of 1.) the negativity, 2.) the name calling and 3.) the inability to get over things. But I definitely appreciate our forum moderators who are doign a great job trying to keep it respectable. I've never understood why some commenters feel the need to be confrontational, especially in discussing a game like baseball where there are so few absolutes.

I wish I had come to this forum sooner. These have been great to read. The stories, and the feedback. For what it's worth, I welcome people to message me any time you have a question or something you feel needs to be brought up.

Thank you all!

Seth Stohs
10-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Always feel free to join me in saying something "stupid", I do it quite often. I just cannot get into the advanced stats that people like to throw around. I can learn from them but I will never really absorb them. But there is room for a lot of different perspectives so I hope you'll post from time to time. (And, if you just want to post for fun, go into the game chats on occasion once the season starts again. )

The mods are really working to clamp down on some of the things that you complain about (a little too much for me sometimes because it stops the flow of the thread but it does seem to have paid off in a little more civility).

And I agree that the site has gotten slow although to add to that, it seems a little more sporadic to me and not necessarily when people are posting a lot so I don't get it.

I agree on the site speed, and it's something we look at a lot.

As for the advanced stats, I do find that to be an interesting topic. I think about the TwinsCentric writers and reading their/our stories. I know I typically will only use BA/OBP/SLG (OPS), maybe occasionally WAR. I don't know that the other writers use them real frequently either.

This is making me think because often the term "blogger" is used in conjunction with "Stathead" or those types of terms, and I don't know if that's always true. There are times, but not too much. I'm kind of wondering as I'm typing this if we read more Advanced Stats in the Comments section than in the stories themselves. Interesting. I'll have to think about that going forward.

Seth Stohs
10-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Yup, I'm a born and bred Winnipegger, nice to see another 'Toban aboard. I spent a week in Swan River one afternoon (Harry Chapin credit).

You're right, there is a fair number of Twins fans in Manitoba, it's surprising how much Twins merch you see being worn here, I sometimes think we out number Jays fans in these parts, some of my friends aside.
My Grandfather was a huge Killebrew fan and my love for the team was born from that, I've never taken to the Jays, I've only been to a couple of games in TO but have seen the Twins countless times in all 3 stadiums, they are a much more natural team to root for due to the proximity and realistic opportunity to attend games.

My second team was the Expos, I always had a soft spot for them and was a big Steve Rogers fan, it was sad when they left.

With all these Manitoba fans, maybe we SHOULD have a Twins Daily get together up here by the Canadian border!!

JB_Iowa
10-23-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm kind of wondering as I'm typing this if we read more Advanced Stats in the Comments section than in the stories themselves. Interesting. I'll have to think about that going forward.

Yes. I was not separating comments from articles and I probably should have done so.

Parker tends to use a few more stats than most of the other writers -- but he is also meticulous about his explanations (and I tend to "learn" the most from his articles in terms of understanding the game itself or understanding specifics about a batter's stance & swing or a pitcher's motion, etc.).

I have also enjoyed this thread thoroughly and hope we see more "newbies" (so to speak) posting their stories and thoughts.

Thanks to everyone who has posted here.

Brock Beauchamp
10-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone and this was a great idea for a thread, Glunn.

As for the site speed, you may have noticed a slight increase in speed in the last hour. I've been combing through settings and logs, trying to eliminate useless or little-used functionality.

Tonight, the site *may* go down for a bit. I'm taking a massive chunk out of the database and moving some data to a file system and away from the database. After that, I'll be working in the database, trimming some of the fat.

Hopefully by tomorrow morning, our speed issues will no longer be a problem.

If speed continues to be a problem, I'll be doing more work to the site and removing more superfluous features in the coming weeks.

Brock Beauchamp
10-23-2013, 02:20 PM

You can thank all the bot-makers in China and Russia for the inexplicable slowdown during what should be the "slow" time of year.

Bastards.

twinsnorth49
10-23-2013, 04:20 PM
With all these Manitoba fans, maybe we SHOULD have a Twins Daily get together up here by the Canadian border!!

Now you're talking!! I'm there, maybe we can drag Koskie along!!!

Great stuff!

Han Joelo
10-23-2013, 04:34 PM
To use an analogy that's been proposed--my participation on this site is like being at a bar. I sit alone, "lurking" (hate that term), nurse my beer, and listen to the same bunch of guys debate the same thing over and over. Meanwhile, there are four big screens showing fantastic baseball coverage, and a fifth one (Brad) with a comedy channel devoted to baseball skits. Also, the links to PeanutsFromHeaven.

Occasionally I might chime in to the table next to me, and usually I am ignored, and sometimes, a glare.

Albert Einstein said that prohibition was the end, or at least really bad, for democracy. His reasoning: If people with disparate views couldn't sit and have a productive (beer-fueled) discussion at a public house, we'd end up with people sipping bathtub gin and arguing over the internet. Or something like that.

All that being said, thanks for all you do TD. There are alot of us lurkers/minimal posters out here who check your site daily, and appreciate all of the effort you put in.

Brock Beauchamp
10-23-2013, 05:39 PM
There. We'll see if the speed holds up during the busier times of day but right now, you should be seeing a huge improvement in site speed.

iTwins
10-24-2013, 08:55 AM
I've been a reader of this site since its infancy. I stop by everyday (sometimes multiple times in a day) and read just about every forum post and article that goes up. I even write my own blog posts on the Twins - I just don't post them here, partially because I didn't want to be "pounced on" for having an opinion / post that differs from the consensus.

I love the debate that occurs within the comments. I agree with others that the negativity can be a bit off-putting and can keep me from wading into a topic. I do understand and appreciate the negativity, however, as I think it shows the passion of the fanbase. We all want the Twins to win - while we have different ideas of how we'll get there and who will be able to achieve these goals - at the end of the day, it's all the same goal. Those discussions are interesting to read and are important to "air out", in my opinion.

My two cents for this offseason: While I'd love to see Tanaka signed by the Twins, the Yankees reportedly being in the market for him makes me believe the Twins simply have zero chance of signing the potential ace. I hope I'm wrong on that account, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd like the Twins to persue Phil Hughes. His home/road splits intrigue me and I think he could become a very reliable pitcher if he's simply removed from that matchbox sized Yankee Stadium. Target Field's spacious OF has to be good for someone - right?

I'd also take a chance on Josh Johnson. Yes, his injuries are a concern and there is a chance his contract could end up being money down the drain, but when he's healthy, there are few pitchers better than him - certainly no one in the Twins rotation now is as good as a healthy Josh Johnson.

Finally, I'd re-sign Mike Pelfrey. (I cannot believe I'm saying this, his slow pace and inconsistent performance drove me NUTS last season). He seems due to have a better season after recovering from TJ surgery - hopefully he could be a bit of an innings eater / veteran presence at the back end of the rotation for the Twins.

Thanks for this thread - it was a good idea! I'll try to "lurk less-post more" in the future - maybe I'll even post some of my blog stuff here...

Jim Crikket
10-24-2013, 08:57 PM
I've been a reader of this site since its infancy. I stop by everyday (sometimes multiple times in a day) and read just about every forum post and article that goes up. I even write my own blog posts on the Twins - I just don't post them here, partially because I didn't want to be "pounced on" for having an opinion / post that differs from the consensus.

May I ask where you do put up your own blog posts? I'm always looking for additional blogs to visit.

North Dakota Twins Fan
10-30-2013, 02:03 AM
Wondering what some of the Free agents we will sign. I know there is a pitcher from Korea we are looking at. Do you guys think we will get him? Suk-Min Yoon.

mini_tb
10-30-2013, 07:12 AM

I thought Minnesota was uninhabited north of St. Cloud???

Beervendor
10-30-2013, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the invitation. I have high hopes for Hicks. I saw him twice in spring training this past year and he looked to have good plate discipline from both sides of the plate. He was selective and drove the ball to all fields. He looked major league ready. I really don't know why it didn't translate to the regular season. He's not the only rookie who didn't light it on fire his first time around. His not playing winter ball didn't disappoint me because I thought he needed some time to clear his head. If you haven't played competitive ball you really can't appreciate how mentally draining it is once you have a few back to back o'fers. He struggled and couldn't battle back. I think taking some time off, getting his ---- together will do him and the Twins some good. Again, thanks for the invitation to post. I'll be back!

Shane Wahl
10-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the invitation. I have high hopes for Hicks. I saw him twice in spring training this past year and he looked to have good plate discipline from both sides of the plate. He was selective and drove the ball to all fields. He looked major league ready. I really don't know why it didn't translate to the regular season. He's not the only rookie who didn't light it on fire his first time around. His not playing winter ball didn't disappoint me because I thought he needed some time to clear his head. If you haven't played competitive ball you really can't appreciate how mentally draining it is once you have a few back to back o'fers. He struggled and couldn't battle back. I think taking some time off, getting his ---- together will do him and the Twins some good. Again, thanks for the invitation to post. I'll be back!

Yes, exactly. And I still don't have an answer from anyone as to how many players have ever skipped AAA and then been the leadoff man on opening day. Or in recent memory. Whatever.

powrwrap
10-30-2013, 11:49 AM
At the Met, a favorite pastime was turning over empty cups and stomping on them to pop them and make an echo, all the while waiting for Killebrew to come bat.

Oh yeah! Although we usually did the stomping just after the game ended cause there were lots of them lying about. Other memories I have from the Met: Walking underneath the bleachers along the left field foul line looking for loose change. Going under the seats in left field, walking up to the field and watching the game at ground level just behind the fence. When leaving the game from the left field seats walking along those rickety boards suspended over the metal framework, or else walking down the exit ramps behind home plate. I remember riding my bike to games and sneaking in during batting practice (there was a place in the fence in the left field corner where you could gain access), going to games with mom on Mother's days (which was every Thursday afternoon) because box seats were $3.00. Eating popcorn out of those megaphone cone-shaped containers, wearing the chinese coolie style straw hats. Wow, your post has induced nostalgic overload!

scottz
10-30-2013, 01:48 PM
I qualify as a lurker, I believe. I read TD on a pretty regular basis and have started a few threads. I choose not to post all that often because everything tends to spiral into a bit of a pi$$ing match instead of an exchange of ideas. If I wanted to argue, I'd just go visit my relatives more. Humor.

Thoughts about TD and the Twins, in general.
1) I love the minor league stuff. I haven't seen more than maybe a 30 second highlight video of most of the players discussed, but I love the insights.
2) I am pretty excited that Jack Goin actually signed up for this site. That's cool. Who knows where it goes, but it is neat.
3) I really want this team to do well again. The FAs signed last year made it pretty clear they weren't going to compete in 2013. It would be nice to have some hope at the start of 2014, but I think it will be another year to just get us to 2015. Maybe there will be hope in 2015. (Note: "hope" in my terms means hope to be in the playoffs with a chance to win it all, not just a season sniffing .500. Though .500 is certainly more fun to watch.)
4) I keep trying to put Trevor Plouffe in the Michael Cuddyer bucket - the guy that got moved around, positionally, a little bit and had moments, but didn't really put it together for awhile. I think the number of ABs that Plouffe has now is about the same number of ABs where Cuddyer picked it up a bit. Maybe Plouffe steps up in a similar way.
5) Dozier had a nice season, but it wasn't amazing and I have a hard time understanding why (seemingly) everyone got so head over heels.
6) I've started and deleted a few other thoughts here even though this thread is a safe house. I've already said too much. Time to go back underground with the rest of the lurkers.

scottz

VandyTwinsFan
10-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Speaking of turtles,

I've poked my head out here a few times to check things out. I've been mostly ignored, which is fine. I used to post at the Twins website in the comments section, but that felt like bringing a violin to a meth fight. Nobody knew what was going on and most didn't have a good time. I check this site several times a week.

Since most have shared a story:
The moment that I knew I would be a Twins fan the rest of my life was game 163 against the Tigers in 2009. Alexi freakin' Casilla gets a walk off hit to save his name after I had just cursed the living bejesus out of it after blowing that tag from 3rd. That was a great season ending rally to watch. Several weeks of critical baseball to culminate with an unlikely hero. Just awesome.

My favorite Twins moment was 2010 when Jim Thome crushed a ball to right for a walk-off dinger. I watched every pitch of that game and was so in the moment that it gave me chills all over my body. The scene in Moneyball where a similar moment happens gives me the chills (to a lesser degree) because of the similarity. There's no particular reason to love that moment, but I was so into the game it couldn't have ended better.

Most disappointed Twins moment...when the Twins didn't draft Sonny Gray. I was at Vanderbilt for grad school and watched him pitch many times. The guy had awesome all over him. Big situation...he got bigger. That curveball made college hitters cry. I know the Twins have had many disappointing moments, but that one was personal to me. The rest I can get over. Gray was my guy.

If you can't tell I'm a recent Twins fan. I grew up in SD not really watching baseball and only got into when my college girlfriend in St. Cloud got me into it. I hope to someday make it back to MN so I can once again sit at Target field and enjoy the summer sun and baseball. If not, I'll go to Fort Myers.

ashburyjohn
10-30-2013, 04:10 PM
I grew up in SD not really watching baseball and only got into when my college girlfriend in St. Cloud got me into it.

Splendid taste in women, my friend. I believe my wife and I raised our daughter to be a similar catch. :)

Shane Wahl
10-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Speaking of turtles,

I've poked my head out here a few times to check things out. I've been mostly ignored, which is fine. I used to post at the Twins website in the comments section, but that felt like bringing a violin to a meth fight. Nobody knew what was going on and most didn't have a good time. I check this site several times a week.

Since most have shared a story:
The moment that I knew I would be a Twins fan the rest of my life was game 163 against the Tigers in 2009. Alexi freakin' Casilla gets a walk off hit to save his name after I had just cursed the living bejesus out of it after blowing that tag from 3rd. That was a great season ending rally to watch. Several weeks of critical baseball to culminate with an unlikely hero. Just awesome.

My favorite Twins moment was 2010 when Jim Thome crushed a ball to right for a walk-off dinger. I watched every pitch of that game and was so in the moment that it gave me chills all over my body. The scene in Moneyball where a similar moment happens gives me the chills (to a lesser degree) because of the similarity. There's no particular reason to love that moment, but I was so into the game it couldn't have ended better.

Most disappointed Twins moment...when the Twins didn't draft Sonny Gray. I was at Vanderbilt for grad school and watched him pitch many times. The guy had awesome all over him. Big situation...he got bigger. That curveball made college hitters cry. I know the Twins have had many disappointing moments, but that one was personal to me. The rest I can get over. Gray was my guy.

If you can't tell I'm a recent Twins fan. I grew up in SD not really watching baseball and only got into when my college girlfriend in St. Cloud got me into it. I hope to someday make it back to MN so I can once again sit at Target field and enjoy the summer sun and baseball. If not, I'll go to Fort Myers.

I don't think I have ever watched so many highlights from game as I have from that game 163. It was just crazy, especially the 6-3 double play with Cabrera and Nathan's reaction to it.

Winston Smith
10-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Splendid taste in women, my friend. I believe my wife and I raised our daughter to be a similar catch. :)

I hope you have enough sense not to let her go to St Cloud whatever it is called now. Started many a hangover at the Press and Red Carpet bars.

Reider
10-30-2013, 04:28 PM
5) Dozier had a nice season, but it wasn't amazing and I have a hard time understanding why (seemingly) everyone got so head over heels.

Yeah, he hit .244, which is nothing special. But who thought he would lead the team in HR's (18) or triples (4)? And he made some amazing plays on defense too. He was the Twins' most improved player in 2013.

I've never really been a big fan of him myself, but I have to give credit where it was due. If he continues to improve, he may just make me a fan.

scottz
10-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Yeah, he hit .244, which is nothing special. But who thought he would lead the team in HR's (18) or triples (4)? And he made some amazing plays on defense too. He was the Twins' most improved player in 2013.

I've never really been a big fan of him myself, but I have to give credit where it was due. If he continues to improve, he may just make me a fan.

Don't get me wrong, there was a lot to like about his year and I do like him...his defense was very good and who doesn't love power numbers from a middle infielder? I just got the impression that a lot of people were classifying his 2013 as "great" (or other lofty adjective), and I don't see that. Maybe it is just semantics. In any case, here's to hoping for an equal or better year for Dozier in 2014 and beyond.

VandyTwinsFan
10-30-2013, 06:58 PM

Unfortunately, things didn't work out. I'm in Dallas now and I gave the current lady friend the option of learning hockey or baseball. She chose baseball. I took her up to the Frisco Roughriders and watched Joe Benson play after he got traded. Outstanding ballpark for AA. Joe was underwhelming. The new lady still has some things to learn about baseball, but she does have relatives in Fort Myers...

VandyTwinsFan
10-30-2013, 07:05 PM
I don't think I have ever watched so many highlights from game as I have from that game 163. It was just crazy, especially the 6-3 double play with Cabrera and Nathan's reaction to it.

I went to game 160 or something where Verlander pitched and sat in the home run "porch." Verlander hit 100 mph on his 113th pitch. I never knew such a thing existed at the time. I had only ever watched the Twins.
That was a great season to be a Twins fan. Such an amazing September. The playoffs...well, that's when I really learned what it meant to be a Twins fan; the Yankees are the devil.

Rick Niedermann
10-30-2013, 07:11 PM
My Prospect Outlook: Glad they opened this forum to those of us that aren't really writers or bloggers. Just Twins fans with opinions. I throw this out for discussion.

Can't Miss Prospects: Byron Buxton, Miguel Sano, Eddie Rosario, Alex Meyer, Kohl Stewert, Lewis Thorpe.
This is the group I believe are destined for elite status. If they stay healthy, especially the pitchers, they will lead the Twins back to relevance somewhere around 2016.

Top Prospects with Major League Experience: Josmil Pinto, Oswaldo Arcia, Aaron Hicks, Kyle Gibson, Michael Tonkin, Caleb Theilbar.
This group will be very serviceable ML players. They have already shown value to the future of the Twins. None will be elite though.

Top Prospects: Danny Santana, J.O. Berrios, Trevor May, Max Kepler, Steve Gonsalves, Adam Brett Walker, Nate Roberts, Mason Melotakis, Anderlin Mejia, Jorge Polanco.
This group brings one or more intangible. Defense, Power, Position of Need, End of Rotation starter, Solid bullpen arm. Pretty nice looking group. Even nicer when you have so many guys listed above them in ranking. Lot's of contributors here when surrounded by a Sano, Buxton and Rosario.

Marginal Prospects: Vance Worley, A.J. Achter, D.J. Baxendale, Logan Darnell, Edgar Ibarra, Taylor Rogers, Zach Jones, J.D.Williams, Travis Harrison, Dalton Hicks, Kennys Vargas, Luke Bard, Nico Gooodrum, Tyler Grimes, Miguel Sulbaran.
A few in this group will develop into top prospect status. If 3 make it the Twins will be very lucky. Quite a few will get a cup of coffee. None are presently someone I could view as an everyday player in the long run but could develop. Maybe some bullpen arms in this group.

Longshot Prospects: Tim Shibuya, Tim Atherton, Tyler Jones, Brian Gilbert, Zach Larson, Jose Abreu, Steve Wickens, Matt Summers, Brett Lee, Steve Gruver.

This group might get one or two to the Majors. Don't see anyone here that will become a difference maker. Maybe a bullpen guy or two and a bench filler.

Sinking Fast: Liam Hendriks, Deolis Guerra, Hudson Boyd, Madison Boer, Levi Michael.

These guys all came into the system with a lot of hype and haven't lived up to it. Likely all will be draft busts.

Conclusion:When making this I couldn't help but get excited about the Twins future. There are superstars on their way. And many players that will be good ballplayers. If the young pitchers can stay healthy along the way Target Field will be rocking. Looking back at some of the Prospects list from a few years ago you can see how much better shape the Farm System is in. Remember when guys like Angel Morales, Tyler Robertson, Shooter Hunt and Jeff Manship were in a lot of Top 10's? The Marginal Prospects grouping is better then most Top 10's from just a few years ago.

glunn
10-31-2013, 02:16 AM
Lots of good posts here, rookies and lurkers.

In the beginning, TD did not have moderators and there was some rudeness and worse.

Now we have 6 moderators, and that kind of behavior is not tolerated. What we are looking for is friendly, respectful discussion. People can disagree passionately, but only if they are polite. Those who repeatedly break the rules are being banned, and the amount of rudeness has been reduced as a result.

If you post in another thread and someone is disrespectful, please click the icon that looks like a triangle with an exclamation mark inside and we will deal with the problem.

I see some excellent posts here and hope to see you in other threads.

JB_Iowa
10-31-2013, 09:11 AM
If you post in another thread and someone is disrespectful, please click the icon that looks like a triangle with an exclamation mark inside and we will deal with the problem.

LOL, I didn't have a clue that was what the little triangle was for!

I have enjoyed this thread a great deal. I hope to see it continue with new stories for a long time. If the Twins would just start winning, I have a feeling we'd be seeing lots of "newbies".

70charger
10-31-2013, 10:42 AM

I was at both of these games, and I agree wholeheartedly. Actually, game 163 was probably my favorite in-person sports moment of my life. I did see my alma mater win a national championship football game, but it was a blowout. Game 163 was much more of a nailbiter, and much more satisfying.

cwzimmerman
10-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Don't get me wrong, there was a lot to like about his year and I do like him...his defense was very good and who doesn't love power numbers from a middle infielder? I just got the impression that a lot of people were classifying his 2013 as "great" (or other lofty adjective), and I don't see that. Maybe it is just semantics. In any case, here's to hoping for an equal or better year for Dozier in 2014 and beyond.

I agree regarding his season. While a .244 batting average is less than eye-opening, the rest of the package was at least respectable this past season, especially with the less than palatable options the Twins had at second base entering the 2013 season. While he probably wouldn't be a starter at 2nd for a lot of teams, he certainly represented an upgrade (in my view) over who the Twins had been playing at 2nd in recent seasons. Hopefully, he won't backtrack in the 2014 season.

ashburyjohn
10-31-2013, 11:19 AM
LOL, I didn't have a clue that was what the little triangle was for!

That may be because you're not, to my recollection, someone we've needed to remind about the TD Comments Policy, where it is explained in a little more detail. To buttress glunn's post above, here is a link to it:

http://twinsdaily.com/minnesota-twins-talk/8837-revised-comment-policy-september-2013-a.html

cwzimmerman
10-31-2013, 11:21 AM
I thought Minnesota was uninhabited north of St. Cloud???

Regardless, there's certainly many times more mosquitos and horseflies up there than people.

Shane Wahl
10-31-2013, 11:25 AM
My Prospect Outlook: Glad they opened this forum to those of us that aren't really writers or bloggers. Just Twins fans with opinions. I throw this out for discussion.

Can't Miss Prospects: Byron Buxton, Miguel Sano, Eddie Rosario, Alex Meyer, Kohl Stewert, Lewis Thorpe.
This is the group I believe are destined for elite status. If they stay healthy, especially the pitchers, they will lead the Twins back to relevance somewhere around 2016.

Top Prospects with Major League Experience: Josmil Pinto, Oswaldo Arcia, Aaron Hicks, Kyle Gibson, Michael Tonkin, Caleb Theilbar.
This group will be very serviceable ML players. They have already shown value to the future of the Twins. None will be elite though.

Top Prospects: Danny Santana, J.O. Berrios, Trevor May, Max Kepler, Steve Gonsalves, Adam Brett Walker, Nate Roberts, Mason Melotakis, Anderlin Mejia, Jorge Polanco.
This group brings one or more intangible. Defense, Power, Position of Need, End of Rotation starter, Solid bullpen arm. Pretty nice looking group. Even nicer when you have so many guys listed above them in ranking. Lot's of contributors here when surrounded by a Sano, Buxton and Rosario.

Marginal Prospects: Vance Worley, A.J. Achter, D.J. Baxendale, Logan Darnell, Edgar Ibarra, Taylor Rogers, Zach Jones, J.D.Williams, Travis Harrison, Dalton Hicks, Kennys Vargas, Luke Bard, Nico Gooodrum, Tyler Grimes, Miguel Sulbaran.
A few in this group will develop into top prospect status. If 3 make it the Twins will be very lucky. Quite a few will get a cup of coffee. None are presently someone I could view as an everyday player in the long run but could develop. Maybe some bullpen arms in this group.

Longshot Prospects: Tim Shibuya, Tim Atherton, Tyler Jones, Brian Gilbert, Zach Larson, Jose Abreu, Steve Wickens, Matt Summers, Brett Lee, Steve Gruver.

This group might get one or two to the Majors. Don't see anyone here that will become a difference maker. Maybe a bullpen guy or two and a bench filler.

Sinking Fast: Liam Hendriks, Deolis Guerra, Hudson Boyd, Madison Boer, Levi Michael.

These guys all came into the system with a lot of hype and haven't lived up to it. Likely all will be draft busts.

Conclusion:When making this I couldn't help but get excited about the Twins future. There are superstars on their way. And many players that will be good ballplayers. If the young pitchers can stay healthy along the way Target Field will be rocking. Looking back at some of the Prospects list from a few years ago you can see how much better shape the Farm System is in. Remember when guys like Angel Morales, Tyler Robertson, Shooter Hunt and Jeff Manship were in a lot of Top 10's? The Marginal Prospects grouping is better then most Top 10's from just a few years ago.

This is a very solid rundown. Boyd, Boer, and Michael are terrible disappointments. I think Boyd needs to stick full time in the bullpen to even have a chance at that longshot.

Shane Wahl
10-31-2013, 11:27 AM
I was at both of these games, and I agree wholeheartedly. Actually, game 163 was probably my favorite in-person sports moment of my life. I did see my alma mater win a national championship football game, but it was a blowout. Game 163 was much more of a nailbiter, and much more satisfying.

I had a few friends at the game. They posted video of the best use of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" ever. I think it was in the 10th inning. The crowd booed the part about Detroit. While singing along. Great stuff.

Shane Wahl
10-31-2013, 11:32 AM
I agree regarding his season. While a .244 batting average is less than eye-opening, the rest of the package was at least respectable this past season, especially with the less than palatable options the Twins had at second base entering the 2013 season. While he probably wouldn't be a starter at 2nd for a lot of teams, he certainly represented an upgrade (in my view) over who the Twins had been playing at 2nd in recent seasons. Hopefully, he won't backtrack in the 2014 season.

The thing about Dozier is that he and Bruno discovered something wrong with his swing, corrected it, and from June on he was fantastic offensively. That BA was about .213 or something until June and he hit 16 of those homers after May. Looking at the season as a whole and it all looks rather mundane, but there seems to be a legitimate correction made to his approach at the plate. I believe Parker has an article about it. It's perhaps my favorite article of TD in 2013.

spycake
10-31-2013, 11:35 AM

Nice post. The term "Can't Miss Prospects" caught my eye though -- in this context, I guess it really means these guys (like any top prospects) CAN miss, but the Twins CAN'T afford for them to miss.

ChiTownTwinsFan
10-31-2013, 11:46 AM
I had a few friends at the game. They posted video of the best use of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" ever. I think it was in the 10th inning. The crowd booed the part about Detroit. While singing along. Great stuff.

'Don't Stop Believing' was the 2005 White Sox's 'theme song' throughout the season. They even had Journey (or maybe just Steve Perry?) perform it at their post WS Champ rally downtown. (Sorry for mentioning the 'evil ones' on a very nice Twins thread. Just throwing out a tidbit.)

MileHighTwinsFan
10-31-2013, 12:04 PM
What about Kevin Youklis as a potential free agent candidate to play both 1st and 3rd? Yes he is an injury risk - but he is a veteran presence, could fill a short term need at both positions, would be great with the young players and should come fairly inexpensively. Would love to see his influence on Sano.

Shane Wahl
10-31-2013, 12:08 PM
'Don't Stop Believing' was the 2005 White Sox's 'theme song' throughout the season. They even had Journey (or maybe just Steve Perry?) perform it at their post WS Champ rally downtown. (Sorry for mentioning the 'evil ones' on a very nice Twins thread. Just throwing out a tidbit.)

So there we have the worst use of the song . . .

Shane Wahl
10-31-2013, 12:09 PM
What about Kevin Youklis as a potential free agent candidate to play both 1st and 3rd? Yes he is an injury risk - but he is a veteran presence, could fill a short term need at both positions, would be great with the young players and should come fairly inexpensively. Would love to see his influence on Sano.

I love Youkilis. I forgot about him completely in considering him in my blueprint.

Shane Wahl
10-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Twins Daily - Behind Brian Dozier's Turnaround (http://twinsdaily.com/2233-swing-change-fuels-doziers-surge.html)

This is Parker's article on Dozier.

70charger
11-04-2013, 10:15 AM

Yes we did boo. I've never heard the dome boo so much, and I've been to Vikings games.

TFelton
11-04-2013, 10:56 AM
TFelton got married, moved, and 3 kids now. Been a busy few years but 'lurking since the beginning of Twins Daily' and will continue lurking til these kids get older.
Some remember the big posting days of TFelton in the Trish chat room and the paper blogs, while TFelton hasn't given up the dream of returning the 3rd person typer to the mainstream Twins Daily.

Seth Stohs
11-04-2013, 06:09 PM
TFelton got married, moved, and 3 kids now. Been a busy few years but 'lurking since the beginning of Twins Daily' and will continue lurking til these kids get older.
Some remember the big posting days of TFelton in the Trish chat room and the paper blogs, while TFelton hasn't given up the dream of returning the 3rd person typer to the mainstream Twins Daily.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we met at a Twins game at Target Field probably 3 years ago, right?

ajstolt_09
11-04-2013, 09:56 PM
LOVE that lineup!! That's why its exciting to be a Twins fan coming up in the next few years. There are even more players that could contribute, but those top guys will make this resurgence probably better than the one in the late 90's!!

AussieTwin
11-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Hey guys, Aussie Twins fan here. Been a Twins fan since about 2003 and a lurker for the last couple of months after I started being directed here from ESPN articles. Really like the detail and passion you guys have for the twinkies and it gives us guys overseas a great idea of what's to come for us since we obviously struggle to get minor league details over here. While it does look to be a somewhat depressing year coming up it is at least good to see that a bright future on the horizon with all the youngsters coming through. Having looked at a lot of the off-season talk I must say I'd be happiest to take a flier on Josh Johnson of all the starting pitchers, if he's healthy he's most likely to have a few more strong years at him and he's someone that can lead a young pitching staff coming through as he was a proven performer on a horrible Miami team for all those years, although that is a big if. Secondly in regards to a topic I'm pretty interested in which is our infield. There's a lot of talk from you guys that Rosario is the future at 2B soon but he could do with improving his D a bit more, but we really don't have a long term solution at SS. I think our best option is to trade for one since there's slim pickings in Free agency, preferably a guy with a great glove who has a reasonable bat ie. what we thought we were gonna get with JJ Hardy when we made that move. With all the trade rumours going around I would want to ring the Rangers and ask them about Ian Kinsler because he sounds like he might be the odd man out there and it would save the Rangers from moving on Profar or my other alternative would be Asdrubal Cabrera but I don't think there's any way that the Indians move him within the Division

TFelton
11-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we met at a Twins game at Target Field probably 3 years ago, right?

You are correct.

mtillma
11-16-2013, 12:23 AM
I have been reading the posts on here for the last couple of months as a lifelong twins fan and just have a couple thoughts that I don't think have been brought up yet from what I have read, and have a couple of thoughts.

First, I fully believe that starting pitching is the biggest need of the club but I will address that last.

I do not believe that Shortstop is a problem for the twins, you can win a world series with the current middle infield. If a person looks at baseball reference they will see that pedro florimon has a 2.1 WAR and Dozier had a 3.8 this last year. That is more than good enough, if florimon shows some improvement with the bat (doesn't have to be a lot he was already 10/10 which very few shortstops are) he is above average.

One of the twins biggest problems is outfield defense. Personally, I think Hicks should start the season again as the centerfielder but I understand that a lot of people don't think that (he did have a .7 war just because of the defense) but the corner outfield defense is a huge problem and any starter that they sign will have problems because of that. Alex Presley is neither a current or long term solution. If the twins want to start hicks in the minors the guy I would like them to look at is Chris Young. He plays above average defense in center and hits for power, caveat, he also strikes out a lot and doesn't hit for average but I believe he is worth a 1 year 5 million contract because he can shift to any outfield position.

The Twins obviously need to trade Willingham, the sooner the better, his terrible defense (along with the catcher platoon in right, don't get me started on that) will not want to make pitchers want to go to Minnesota to "improve their value." but Chris Young plays a really good outfield and can hold down a corner spot with hicks in center until Buxton is ready then hicks can move to right where his arm makes the best choice in the org. once Buxton is ready

I believe Pinto can be an impact bat at catcher even if his catching defensive skills are not quite good enough, but an impact bat at catcher for value makes him above average. Let him, Hermann, and Doumit have it, it will be fine.

As far as the rest of the lineup goes, I honestly don't want the twins to trade any on the top prospects. If dozier proves (he really has no track record as a prospect, but I believe) he can hit like that the her is a lineup I would love to see.

RF Aaron Hick
1B Joe Mauer
CF Byron Buxton
3B Miguel Sano
DH Oswaldo Arcia
LF Eddie Rosario
2B Brian Dozier
C Josmil Pinto
SS Pedro Floriman

To me that is a very exciting line up.

The bullpen is fine, they are a dime a dozen the twins have had great luck with that so to the rotation.

I truly believe Alex Meyer will be a front of the rotation starter, I also believe Kyle Gibson is going to be a lot better than most people believe he will be on here (he fell to the twins in the draft because of injury in the 1ST ROUND not because of talent, also most experts thought Max Scherzer would be a reliever because of his delivery, so give it time). I think that a majority of the funds should be spent here.

The one pitcher that I think would be the best is Garza. He has a proven record as both a strikeout pitcher and an ERA below 4 while being healthy enough to throw innings. I would also be happy with Ervin Santana because of his durability. I don't want to get into dollar amounts but I would rather give Garza 5/80 than anything to any other pitcher because if you look at numbers he is that much better than the rest I think.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see other pitchers signed. I like Kazmir on a one year deal, I like arroyo but for less than 10 million a year. I don't thin hughes would be good for more than a year (he has no track record other than his prospect status). I would LOVE Johan, but that might be my fandom.

That is all I have for now. Sorry for the long post but hope people comment and give me their opinions!

Shane Wahl
11-16-2013, 01:25 AM
I have been reading the posts on here for the last couple of months as a lifelong twins fan and just have a couple thoughts that I don't think have been brought up yet from what I have read, and have a couple of thoughts.

First, I fully believe that starting pitching is the biggest need of the club but I will address that last.

I do not believe that Shortstop is a problem for the twins, you can win a world series with the current middle infield. If a person looks at baseball reference they will see that pedro florimon has a 2.1 WAR and Dozier had a 3.8 this last year. That is more than good enough, if florimon shows some improvement with the bat (doesn't have to be a lot he was already 10/10 which very few shortstops are) he is above average.

One of the twins biggest problems is outfield defense. Personally, I think Hicks should start the season again as the centerfielder but I understand that a lot of people don't think that (he did have a .7 war just because of the defense) but the corner outfield defense is a huge problem and any starter that they sign will have problems because of that. Alex Presley is neither a current or long term solution. If the twins want to start hicks in the minors the guy I would like them to look at is Chris Young. He plays above average defense in center and hits for power, caveat, he also strikes out a lot and doesn't hit for average but I believe he is worth a 1 year 5 million contract because he can shift to any outfield position.

The Twins obviously need to trade Willingham, the sooner the better, his terrible defense (along with the catcher platoon in right, don't get me started on that) will not want to make pitchers want to go to Minnesota to "improve their value." but Chris Young plays a really good outfield and can hold down a corner spot with hicks in center until Buxton is ready then hicks can move to right where his arm makes the best choice in the org. once Buxton is ready

I believe Pinto can be an impact bat at catcher even if his catching defensive skills are not quite good enough, but an impact bat at catcher for value makes him above average. Let him, Hermann, and Doumit have it, it will be fine.

As far as the rest of the lineup goes, I honestly don't want the twins to trade any on the top prospects. If dozier proves (he really has no track record as a prospect, but I believe) he can hit like that the her is a lineup I would love to see.

RF Aaron Hick
1B Joe Mauer
CF Byron Buxton
3B Miguel Sano
DH Oswaldo Arcia
LF Eddie Rosario
2B Brian Dozier
C Josmil Pinto
SS Pedro Floriman

To me that is a very exciting line up.

The bullpen is fine, they are a dime a dozen the twins have had great luck with that so to the rotation.

I truly believe Alex Meyer will be a front of the rotation starter, I also believe Kyle Gibson is going to be a lot better than most people believe he will be on here (he fell to the twins in the draft because of injury in the 1ST ROUND not because of talent, also most experts thought Max Scherzer would be a reliever because of his delivery, so give it time). I think that a majority of the funds should be spent here.

The one pitcher that I think would be the best is Garza. He has a proven record as both a strikeout pitcher and an ERA below 4 while being healthy enough to throw innings. I would also be happy with Ervin Santana because of his durability. I don't want to get into dollar amounts but I would rather give Garza 5/80 than anything to any other pitcher because if you look at numbers he is that much better than the rest I think.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see other pitchers signed. I like Kazmir on a one year deal, I like arroyo but for less than 10 million a year. I don't thin hughes would be good for more than a year (he has no track record other than his prospect status). I would LOVE Johan, but that might be my fandom.

That is all I have for now. Sorry for the long post but hope people comment and give me their opinions!

Fantastic first post. I basically agree with 95% of this.

ashburyjohn
11-16-2013, 10:26 AM

A lot of lurkers/firsttimers hold off because they don't want feedback, but I'll take you at your word. :)

Instead of getting rid of Willingham, would you consider him for DH for 2014? I'm not sure all the ourfield pieces you listed in your lineup will be ready and fully productive before the Hammer's contract runs out. I doubt he has much trade value at this time, but if you do want to trade him then maybe a good first half would allow for a useful trade at the deadline. That could coincide with Buxton getting called up.

AJOHN
11-24-2013, 09:12 AM
So it took me longer then I thought to log in, and then find this post again but here goes my first post: Is there a running list somewhere anywhere of all current Twins Prospects. Also a list of players the Twins drafted but didn't sign that became Major Leaguers. I'll show my age a little, I believe the Twins once drafted Jason Varitek? Also Kolten Wong more recently I believe drafted but didn't sign. Thanks for giving us a safe place to post!

goulik
11-24-2013, 06:12 PM
This link will take you to the Twins MiLB page. The top 20 prospects are listed there as well as links to the MiLB Twins Affiliates. Under the names of the teams you can pull up rosters and stats...lots of info there but to start I would check out the 20 listed.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/prospects/index.jsp?c_id=min

there are more extensive lists (beyond the 20) but do not have the links handy right now

SadMnFan
11-25-2013, 02:25 AM
Wow. First post ever. I've been waiting for this moment for so long, this must be what it's like for a stalker to finally confront the object of his/her affections.

Anyway, here is what I have to say:

It seems apparent to me that the Twins are on the verge of a renaissance similar to the one we had the privilege to enjoy from 2002-2010. Sure, they didn't do much in terms of playoff victory over that span, but as I believe we have all learned from the last three years, making the playoffs and getting swept is a hell of a lot better than losing 90+ games in a season.

We all know how epic some of the prospects coming up will be; Buxton has a Willy Mays-esque ceiling; Sano will pound out 40 homers a year, Meyer will be the right handed version of Randy Johnson and Mauer will be the wily vet whose experience and still elite level of play will be the lighthouse that guides the team to a world championship before he rides off into the sunset as an all-time great Twin. Maybe I'm getting carried away, but you get the point. It would be so amazing if, for the first time in my entire life, the Twins went aggressive, and made moves with the interest of winning this year. Would starting the season off as the starting center fielder really be too much for Buxton? We all have heard about how fantastic his makeup and desire-no, need-to be great is. He is also an extremely gifted physical specimen. How badly does he need one more year of seasoning in the minors? We know he is the future, and the faster he is up in the bigs, the faster this bright future can begin. The same goes for Sano. Even if he only bats .220 and strikes out 200 times, it's still a safe bet he would homer 20-25 times, and any experience he can get can only help him in the long run. With ultra-talented prospects like those two, it's obvious that they have the ability to compete at the major league level, so what is the point of letting them dominate the minors, when they could be getting valuable major league experience in a year that most people don't expect the Twins to be competitive anyway? For all we know, they could come up and play at a high level, and be the boost this team has needed for three years.

But having Buxton and Sano up this year does nothing for the "starting rotation" the Twins have been trotting out for the last 291 losses. So, taking into consideration the fact that they have about $40-$60 million dollars to spend, it's time to go out and get at least two, if not three, above-replacement-level starting pitches. My three would be Garza, Hughes and Johan. Johan may or may not be above replacement level, but he would come very cheaply and mostly would just satisfy my pipe dream of him coming back to us that I've had since he was traded. Garza would be a great get for the Twins. He is everything that the current rotation is not: a sometimes dominant pitcher with a decent k/9 and a bit of an attitude (allegedly) who can lead the rotation until Meyer is ready. Also, I like Hughes a lot as a guy who can be a solid 3/4 guy down the road.

I also wouldn't mind signing AJ to a one or two year deal either, to split time with Pinto.

So, here would be my batting order and rotation for next year:

CF- Buxton
2B- Dozier
1B- Mauer
3B- Sano
LF- Willingham
C- AJ/ Pinto
RF- Arcia
DH- Doumit
SS- Florimon

Bench: AJ/Pinto, Presley, Escobar, Plouffe

Rotation:

Garza
Hughes
Meyer
Santana
Gibson

Now, in all honesty, I don't really expect any of this to happen, buuuuuut I would be absolutely ecstatic if TR realized that he's getting old and YOLO. If things play out well, these moves could lead to a playoff push next year, and if the youngsters struggle, then that was to be expected, and they get a valuable year of major league experience. I know that I'm not taking into consideration their arbitration clocks, but if these players pan out like we hope and think they will, what difference does one year make when you will be having to sign these guys to multi year, 100+ million dollar deals?

Thanks for sticking with this post, thoughts and criticisms are highly appreciated :D

goulik
11-25-2013, 06:18 AM
Great start to your posting career sadmnfan and welcome aboard.
i would be beyond happy if your blueprint was followed.

glunn
11-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks for giving us a safe place to post!

I am glad that you felt comfortable posting in this thread. Please keep in mind that we now have 6 moderators who are committed to not allowing personal attacks in any threads. If you choose to post in other threads, you will find that others may disagree, but will be generally respectful.

glunn
11-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Wow. First post ever. I've been waiting for this moment for so long, this must be what it's like for a stalker to finally confront the object of his/her affections.

Anyway, here is what I have to say:

It seems apparent to me that the Twins are on the verge of a renaissance similar to the one we had the privilege to enjoy from 2002-2010. Sure, they didn't do much in terms of playoff victory over that span, but as I believe we have all learned from the last three years, making the playoffs and getting swept is a hell of a lot better than losing 90+ games in a season.

We all know how epic some of the prospects coming up will be; Buxton has a Willy Mays-esque ceiling; Sano will pound out 40 homers a year, Meyer will be the right handed version of Randy Johnson and Mauer will be the wily vet whose experience and still elite level of play will be the lighthouse that guides the team to a world championship before he rides off into the sunset as an all-time great Twin. Maybe I'm getting carried away, but you get the point. It would be so amazing if, for the first time in my entire life, the Twins went aggressive, and made moves with the interest of winning this year. Would starting the season off as the starting center fielder really be too much for Buxton? We all have heard about how fantastic his makeup and desire-no, need-to be great is. He is also an extremely gifted physical specimen. How badly does he need one more year of seasoning in the minors? We know he is the future, and the faster he is up in the bigs, the faster this bright future can begin. The same goes for Sano. Even if he only bats .220 and strikes out 200 times, it's still a safe bet he would homer 20-25 times, and any experience he can get can only help him in the long run. With ultra-talented prospects like those two, it's obvious that they have the ability to compete at the major league level, so what is the point of letting them dominate the minors, when they could be getting valuable major league experience in a year that most people don't expect the Twins to be competitive anyway? For all we know, they could come up and play at a high level, and be the boost this team has needed for three years.

But having Buxton and Sano up this year does nothing for the "starting rotation" the Twins have been trotting out for the last 291 losses. So, taking into consideration the fact that they have about $40-$60 million dollars to spend, it's time to go out and get at least two, if not three, above-replacement-level starting pitches. My three would be Garza, Hughes and Johan. Johan may or may not be above replacement level, but he would come very cheaply and mostly would just satisfy my pipe dream of him coming back to us that I've had since he was traded. Garza would be a great get for the Twins. He is everything that the current rotation is not: a sometimes dominant pitcher with a decent k/9 and a bit of an attitude (allegedly) who can lead the rotation until Meyer is ready. Also, I like Hughes a lot as a guy who can be a solid 3/4 guy down the road.

I also wouldn't mind signing AJ to a one or two year deal either, to split time with Pinto.

So, here would be my batting order and rotation for next year:

CF- Buxton
2B- Dozier
1B- Mauer
3B- Sano
LF- Willingham
C- AJ/ Pinto
RF- Arcia
DH- Doumit
SS- Florimon

Bench: AJ/Pinto, Presley, Escobar, Plouffe

Rotation:

Garza
Hughes
Meyer
Santana
Gibson

Now, in all honesty, I don't really expect any of this to happen, buuuuuut I would be absolutely ecstatic if TR realized that he's getting old and YOLO. If things play out well, these moves could lead to a playoff push next year, and if the youngsters struggle, then that was to be expected, and they get a valuable year of major league experience. I know that I'm not taking into consideration their arbitration clocks, but if these players pan out like we hope and think they will, what difference does one year make when you will be having to sign these guys to multi year, 100+ million dollar deals?

Thanks for sticking with this post, thoughts and criticisms are highly appreciated :D

This is an excellent first post, and I admire your optimism. I hope to see you (and all of our other first time posters) become active in other threads.

glunn
12-11-2013, 01:52 AM
Bump -- I am hoping for more posts from rookies and lurkers.

ByRunBucksTon
12-11-2013, 04:45 AM
Just another Twins fan from South Dakota. I have been lurking for at least two years. I have learned so much about how a baseball team is put together from this site. So I wanted to thank all the writers and insightful posters. Hopefully I will have some intelligent insight soon. THANKS AGAIN.

thetank
12-11-2013, 10:11 AM
I've posted here 20 times or so now. Been to 38 MLB parks including the Met and Target Field. Followed the Twins since the Rod Carew days in the mid-70's making them my favourite AL team.

My overall favourite team is the Cardinals. Never had to bear 2 or more consecutive 90 game losing seasons. Like your bulletin board.

glunn
12-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Just another Twins fan from South Dakota. I have been lurking for at least two years. I have learned so much about how a baseball team is put together from this site. So I wanted to thank all the writers and insightful posters. Hopefully I will have some intelligent insight soon. THANKS AGAIN.

It's good to know that you are out there.

glunn
12-11-2013, 11:22 PM
I've posted here 20 times or so now. Been to 38 MLB parks including the Met and Target Field. Followed the Twins since the Rod Carew days in the mid-70's making them my favourite AL team.

My overall favourite team is the Cardinals. Never had to bear 2 or more consecutive 90 game losing seasons. Like your bulletin board.

Do the Cardinals have anything resembling TD?

thetank
12-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Do the Cardinals have anything resembling TD?

No they don't have something resembling TD though the local newspaper has a mostly unmoderated fan forum.

The Cardinals rebuilt their minor league system while maintaining a quality product on the field after the 2006 WS win. After 2006, the Cardinals had to rebuild their farm system since it had been ranked among the lowest in baseball. The Twins couldn't quite do this.

Now the Cards have 8 or 9 mostly young pitchers who could start so some pitchers have to be in the bullpen. Reasonable contracts to their catcher and ace Wainwright. Holliday has produced after signing a 7 year contract. Signed a PED user at SS to solve that problem.

Next year, the glut in SP may cause the Cards to have to trade someone. But, there are always injuries. Several of the young pitchers are cost-controlled.

glunn
12-13-2013, 02:04 AM
No they don't have something resembling TD though the local newspaper has a mostly unmoderated fan forum.

The Cardinals rebuilt their minor league system while maintaining a quality product on the field after the 2006 WS win. After 2006, the Cardinals had to rebuild their farm system since it had been ranked among the lowest in baseball. The Twins couldn't quite do this.

Now the Cards have 8 or 9 mostly young pitchers who could start so some pitchers have to be in the bullpen. Reasonable contracts to their catcher and ace Wainwright. Holliday has produced after signing a 7 year contract. Signed a PED user at SS to solve that problem.

Next year, the glut in SP may cause the Cards to have to trade someone. But, there are always injuries. Several of the young pitchers are cost-controlled.

Can you shed any light on how the Cardinals have been able to build such a strong group of young pitchers?

thetank
12-13-2013, 06:25 AM
Can you shed any light on how the Cardinals have been able to build such a strong group of young pitchers?
First the Cards were lucky to have their ace, Wainwright, come back from surgery. Second they did a great job identifying young pitchers for the draft. Then of course developing them in the minor leagues. Getting Michael Wacha out of college as compensation for Pujols justified not paying $200 million for an aging veteran.

The Cards have a great catcher who is one of the best all around at his position. His catchers ERA is a point lower when he is catching. Looking at the starting pitching of the Twins one can see why they are bad. Minnesota has a larger population than St. Louis so they should generate more revenue. I could see the Twins losing 90 a few more seasons if the new pitchers flop.

eLee612
12-13-2013, 12:57 PM
It's hard to remember a time in my history when I wasn't a Twins fan. It started somewhere in the early 90s, eating Kemp's Old Fashioned Maple Nut (not to be confused with Butter Pecan) ice cream with my grandparents. While my grandpa certainly had his passionate opinions on how the Twins were playing (and the FO was operating), I was always impressed with the way my grandma could hold her own. She knew the player stats, where they came from, and had eerily accurate predictions about where they were going. I simply would lie on the floor in silence, patiently waiting for the play, the perfect degree of melt on my Maple Nut, and my grandpa's still-impressive vertical jump when the slide was safe at home.

Fast forward a few years later and I'm fairly sure I was in love with Mr. Jacque Dewayne Jones. A product of Minneapolis Park & Rec softball, I frequently made the pre-game loop around the track at the Metrodome. We would always sit in left, and due to proximity he easily entered my top 5 players list. Plus, when a "real baseball player!!" throws you a ball and you're 10 with a pony-tail and a team jersey that goes down to your knees, your heart is easily won.

If I were still operating under the same standards, I would be infatuated with Scott Ullger, as the last three balls I've gotten have come from him. (Section 3 FTW!) Ullger is great, but in reality I'm a huge fan of Pedro Florimon. No doubt, he has some room to improve at bat, but fieldingÖ he's like a real life Henry Skrimshander (***minus the big choke, no jinxing things!***).

Outside of (and within) the Twins, I closely follow two things: Dominican ball, and injuries. And actually, that amounts to a fairly representative pie chart of my 'real life' - baseball, latin america, and sports medicine. The Twins have also been huge for me on a personal level, as I've worked through injury (or something like thatÖ) and 5 surgeries in the last 5 years; I've watched a lot of baseball ‹

I'm not sure if I'll post much or just watch the game and eat my maple nut in silence, with the occasional chuckle or snake eye thrown towards the screen. But I will be at the MeltdownÖ bold move for a rookie, I knowÖ so perhaps I will see some of you there!

USNMCPO
12-13-2013, 01:17 PM
I too have great memories of Twins baseball. My first game was with my Dad at the old Met watching the Twins in a Sunday double header against the "California" Angels. Harmon Killebrew hit a home run to left that I almost snagged. The second game went in to extra innings (19 I think) so we couldn't stay for the end. My Mom and I had to catch a train back up North. Twins baseball gets into your blood and is a lifetime of joys and heartbreaks.

biggentleben
12-13-2013, 01:34 PM

There is a really active and fun Cardinals community on huzzah.co, a forum started similarly to how the old BYTO started with exiles from the ESPN boards for the Braves, Dodgers, and Cardinals all creating one board together. I think you'd enjoy the back and forth there, and let me know if you're looking for a few good folks to bring you in the fold over there.

biggentleben
12-13-2013, 01:37 PM

I think every Twins fan in South Dakota has now posted. Surprised how many fellow SoDakians are around here.

JB_Iowa
12-13-2013, 02:36 PM
I think every Twins fan in South Dakota has now posted. Surprised how many fellow SoDakians are around here.

Geographically I'm closer to many of the SoDak posters than to most of my fellow Iowans. Watched a lot of Twins games on Sx Falls stations while growing up. (Have some recollection that they were mostly on channel 13 but I'm not sure that's right).

biggentleben
12-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Geographically I'm closer to many of the SoDak posters than to most of my fellow Iowans. Watched a lot of Twins games on Sx Falls stations while growing up. (Have some recollection that they were mostly on channel 13 but I'm not sure that's right).

I'm mid South Dakota, so basically the middle of nowhere as far as TV goes. In fact, with the change to digital signals, I only get NBC at my place now. The CBS, ABC, and Fox signals all fall short of hitting me.

oldguy10
12-13-2013, 05:29 PM
elee612, wonderful post you gave us here. As you point out clearly it is really all about love for the game and the romance of it on the field.

glunn
12-13-2013, 05:51 PM
It's hard to remember a time in my history when I wasn't a Twins fan. It started somewhere in the early 90s, eating Kemp's Old Fashioned Maple Nut (not to be confused with Butter Pecan) ice cream with my grandparents. While my grandpa certainly had his passionate opinions on how the Twins were playing (and the FO was operating), I was always impressed with the way my grandma could hold her own. She knew the player stats, where they came from, and had eerily accurate predictions about where they were going. I simply would lie on the floor in silence, patiently waiting for the play, the perfect degree of melt on my Maple Nut, and my grandpa's still-impressive vertical jump when the slide was safe at home.

Fast forward a few years later and I'm fairly sure I was in love with Mr. Jacque Dewayne Jones. A product of Minneapolis Park & Rec softball, I frequently made the pre-game loop around the track at the Metrodome. We would always sit in left, and due to proximity he easily entered my top 5 players list. Plus, when a "real baseball player!!" throws you a ball and you're 10 with a pony-tail and a team jersey that goes down to your knees, your heart is easily won.

If I were still operating under the same standards, I would be infatuated with Scott Ullger, as the last three balls I've gotten have come from him. (Section 3 FTW!) Ullger is great, but in reality I'm a huge fan of Pedro Florimon. No doubt, he has some room to improve at bat, but fielding… he's like a real life Henry Skrimshander (***minus the big choke, no jinxing things!***).

Outside of (and within) the Twins, I closely follow two things: Dominican ball, and injuries. And actually, that amounts to a fairly representative pie chart of my 'real life' - baseball, latin america, and sports medicine. The Twins have also been huge for me on a personal level, as I've worked through injury (or something like that…) and 5 surgeries in the last 5 years; I've watched a lot of baseball ‹

I'm not sure if I'll post much or just watch the game and eat my maple nut in silence, with the occasional chuckle or snake eye thrown towards the screen. But I will be at the Meltdown… bold move for a rookie, I know… so perhaps I will see some of you there!

Great post Rookie. I hope to see more of you, especially in the game threads when next season starts -- we will be serving free virtual ice cream.

glunn
12-13-2013, 05:53 PM
I too have great memories of Twins baseball. My first game was with my Dad at the old Met watching the Twins in a Sunday double header against the "California" Angels. Harmon Killebrew hit a home run to left that I almost snagged. The second game went in to extra innings (19 I think) so we couldn't stay for the end. My Mom and I had to catch a train back up North. Twins baseball gets into your blood and is a lifetime of joys and heartbreaks.

Excellent post, Rookie -- I hope that you keep posting.

MNfan34
12-13-2013, 07:20 PM
I've been a Twins fan since 1986. I was age 5 and 9 for the two championships, and while they left an impression, I would say I'm a product of the Kirby era. I felt like every time he came to the plate something was going to happen. I'm sure now I would a more cynical me might get frustrated with the strikeouts, but if there ever was a case for a player being "clutch" it was that man. Throughout the 90's, I listened to every minute of Twins baseball I could on 1240am in Saint Cloud. That signal was not always the clearest (screech!) Herb Carneal was awesome obviously. "Touch em all."

So when people say watching baseball is boring, I tend to disagree. I really came to appreciate the deeper complexity and strategy of the game once I was able to watch the Twins regularly. It's a beautiful sport, and at the MLB level, I feel like the talent required for success is simply amazing.

I could never get aboard the Mauer contract whining bandwagon, his offensive polish is unrivaled as far as I am concerned. It's not my money, and far from the worst money spent by the club. I am still very happy he is a Twin for now and for years to come.

Offseason is great too, especially now that the Twins do things other than just losing established players . . . that's what I grew up with. We lost everyone eventually except basically Puckett and Hrbek.

I will be happy to see the Twins return to respectable ball in the coming years. It's hard not to enjoy a good pennant race. Titles are great, but I will have no complaints with another run like we had in the previous decade. Two seasons with game 163? One game playoff. Awesome. Just get to the postseason, anything can happen.

I used to post on the ESPN boards under the same account name.

What do I still want with this offseason? One more starter. I want Garza, and the money doesn't bother me given the current roster configuration. None of the up and coming studs will really need to get that money before his contract would be over. Sano and Buxton aren't going to be FA before 2019. I'm fine with Pelfrey, so long as the put an incentive in his contract that he needs to deliver the ball in under 30 seconds.

Offensively, we need to acquire a table setter. One option: sign another starter and offer the Yankees a Worley, Deduno, or Correa (or 2 of those 3) for Gardner. I think they would be intrigued by Deduno for Gardner.

Anyway, I've been watching this site for offseason updates. Seems like an impressive core of knowledgeable people.

biggentleben
12-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Offensively, we need to acquire a table setter. One option: sign another starter and offer the Yankees a Worley, Deduno, or Correa (or 2 of those 3) for Gardner. I think they would be intrigued by Deduno for Gardner.

I think you will be blown away the level of pitcher they expect to get from Gardner. They asked the Braves for Teheran, per reports from Braves beat guys. That's about as untouchable in Atlanta as they come, basically like saying we'd like Sano AND Buxton for Gardner.

Great first post, btw, and welcome!

glunn
12-13-2013, 11:08 PM
I've been a Twins fan since 1986. I was age 5 and 9 for the two championships, and while they left an impression, I would say I'm a product of the Kirby era. I felt like every time he came to the plate something was going to happen. I'm sure now I would a more cynical me might get frustrated with the strikeouts, but if there ever was a case for a player being "clutch" it was that man. Throughout the 90's, I listened to every minute of Twins baseball I could on 1240am in Saint Cloud. That signal was not always the clearest (screech!) Herb Carneal was awesome obviously. "Touch em all."

So when people say watching baseball is boring, I tend to disagree. I really came to appreciate the deeper complexity and strategy of the game once I was able to watch the Twins regularly. It's a beautiful sport, and at the MLB level, I feel like the talent required for success is simply amazing.

I could never get aboard the Mauer contract whining bandwagon, his offensive polish is unrivaled as far as I am concerned. It's not my money, and far from the worst money spent by the club. I am still very happy he is a Twin for now and for years to come.

Offseason is great too, especially now that the Twins do things other than just losing established players . . . that's what I grew up with. We lost everyone eventually except basically Puckett and Hrbek.

I will be happy to see the Twins return to respectable ball in the coming years. It's hard not to enjoy a good pennant race. Titles are great, but I will have no complaints with another run like we had in the previous decade. Two seasons with game 163? One game playoff. Awesome. Just get to the postseason, anything can happen.

I used to post on the ESPN boards under the same account name.

What do I still want with this offseason? One more starter. I want Garza, and the money doesn't bother me given the current roster configuration. None of the up and coming studs will really need to get that money before his contract would be over. Sano and Buxton aren't going to be FA before 2019. I'm fine with Pelfrey, so long as the put an incentive in his contract that he needs to deliver the ball in under 30 seconds.

Anyway, I've been watching this site for offseason updates. Seems like an impressive core of knowledgeable people.

Welcome, Rookie. A very good first post.

MNfan34
12-14-2013, 06:26 AM
I think you will be blown away the level of pitcher they expect to get from Gardner. They asked the Braves for Teheran, per reports from Braves beat guys. That's about as untouchable in Atlanta as they come, basically like saying we'd like Sano AND Buxton for Gardner.

You are right. They view him as better than Span a year ago for sure (and he probably is). We would have been pretty disappointed in getting Worley and Deduno for Span. Still, he's 30 year old who's biggest strength is speed so he's not that valuable to me.

rubbernecker
12-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Love the Twins. Love the site. "Rubbernecker" get it? I like to watch all the car crash threads. :) I really would have loved to have seen Lincecum as a Twin, but I guess he can be my National League crush. I like the moves so far...

JB_Iowa
12-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Love the Twins. Love the site. "Rubbernecker" get it? I like to watch all the car crash threads. :) I really would have loved to have seen Lincecum as a Twin, but I guess he can be my National League crush. I like the moves so far...

Welcome to the forum. It's okay to be a rubbernecker ... that's usually what I'm doing on the car crash threads. Most of the time I get so lost in them that all I can do is gawk.

And I'm definitely a rubbernecker on Twitter ... although I usually call myself a "Twitter Voyeur". Never have sent a single tweet. So I applaud your willingness to post here and hope that now that you've "broken the ice", you'll add your comments on some other threads as well.

glunn
12-15-2013, 01:11 AM

Welcome, Rookie. Please feel free to post more.

maars
12-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Minneapolis native and long-time lurker on these forums here. I've been thinking about the Pelfrey signing a bit, and the most sense that I can make out of it is that the front office is going to trade Correia at some point this season. Tommy John aside, Pelfrey has been good for more innings per season than Correia and has a similar career ERA, FIP, xFIP and SIERA. With that in mind, the Pelfrey signing is essentially a one year extension for Correia and a trip back four years in a time machine, plus whatever today's version of Correia can net us in a trade. At least that's what I'm hoping. The two are too similar for the Twins to carry both of them on their roster for too long, especially with the likes of Alex Meyer and Trevor May starting the year at AAA.

On a similar note, given the fact that Logan Darnell, Pat Dean, and AJ Achter seem to have earned a chance at the AAA level, I wonder if the Twins aren't at least trying to see what the market is for Samuel Deduno and Andrew Albers. That would leave Diamond, Worley and Gibson to fight it out for the final spot in the starting rotation. Even after the horror show they all produced last season, I'm betting that one or two of them can put it back together well enough to produce around a 4.40 ERA out of that fifth spot.

Even packaging Correia, Deduno and Albers together wouldn't likely net the Twins a prospect that would crack the organization's top 20, but between them I would expect the Twins to be able to net two or three C/C+ prospects. Not too impressive, but being able to add another of the likes of Daniel Santana, Miguel Sulbaran, or Niko Goodrum would be good return for any of these players as the Twins continue their rebuilding process.

thetank
12-17-2013, 09:03 AM
I have to re-iterate that this is a well-moderated forum. Thanks for the service.

DaNutz
12-26-2013, 11:01 AM
I have been lurking on this forum since day one and have really enjoyed the forum. Been a Twins fan since I was a little kid growing up in Colorado (parents from Minnesota). I am now raising my own little empire of Twins fans in Colorado. We have followed the Twins via MLB Extra Innings or MLB TV over the years. Additionally because of work travel I am able to watch a few games live every years.

I know the last few years have been rough, but I see a very bright future for the franchise in the coming years. How bright will ultimately depend on the development of young starting pitching. I am excited about the coming year as it should be a transition year from terrible to average. Or at least that is the hope. We should also get to see a lot of the young talent we have heard about over the past few years.

Thanks for the warm welcoming.

Kevin
12-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Well, here goes. For those who think Deduno might start the season not on the DL, here (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070617&content_id=2032977&c_id=mlb) is a discussion about recovery for pitchers from the rotator cuff portion of the surgery Deduno had in September. Granted, this was the state of the art in 2007, but still.

On top of this, he also had repair of the tearing of the cartilaginous labrum. The prognosis for most pitchers with this injury is not good.

One of the two people talking optimistically about this is his agent (he might be biased) and the other is Terry Ryan, similarly optimistic. One wonders how the surgeon views the chances of ultimate 100% recovery and the odds of his patient being ready for spring training.

I wish Deduno well.

glunn
12-28-2013, 01:20 AM
Minneapolis native and long-time lurker on these forums here. I've been thinking about the Pelfrey signing a bit, and the most sense that I can make out of it is that the front office is going to trade Correia at some point this season. Tommy John aside, Pelfrey has been good for more innings per season than Correia and has a similar career ERA, FIP, xFIP and SIERA. With that in mind, the Pelfrey signing is essentially a one year extension for Correia and a trip back four years in a time machine, plus whatever today's version of Correia can net us in a trade. At least that's what I'm hoping. The two are too similar for the Twins to carry both of them on their roster for too long, especially with the likes of Alex Meyer and Trevor May starting the year at AAA.

On a similar note, given the fact that Logan Darnell, Pat Dean, and AJ Achter seem to have earned a chance at the AAA level, I wonder if the Twins aren't at least trying to see what the market is for Samuel Deduno and Andrew Albers. That would leave Diamond, Worley and Gibson to fight it out for the final spot in the starting rotation. Even after the horror show they all produced last season, I'm betting that one or two of them can put it back together well enough to produce around a 4.40 ERA out of that fifth spot.

Even packaging Correia, Deduno and Albers together wouldn't likely net the Twins a prospect that would crack the organization's top 20, but between them I would expect the Twins to be able to net two or three C/C+ prospects. Not too impressive, but being able to add another of the likes of Daniel Santana, Miguel Sulbaran, or Niko Goodrum would be good return for any of these players as the Twins continue their rebuilding process.

Welcome, Rookie. This is an excellent post.

glunn
12-28-2013, 01:22 AM
I have been lurking on this forum since day one and have really enjoyed the forum. Been a Twins fan since I was a little kid growing up in Colorado (parents from Minnesota). I am now raising my own little empire of Twins fans in Colorado. We have followed the Twins via MLB Extra Innings or MLB TV over the years. Additionally because of work travel I am able to watch a few games live every years.

I know the last few years have been rough, but I see a very bright future for the franchise in the coming years. How bright will ultimately depend on the development of young starting pitching. I am excited about the coming year as it should be a transition year from terrible to average. Or at least that is the hope. We should also get to see a lot of the young talent we have heard about over the past few years.

Thanks for the warm welcoming.

It's great to have you on board.

glunn
12-28-2013, 01:23 AM
Well, here goes. For those who think Deduno might start the season not on the DL, here (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070617&content_id=2032977&c_id=mlb) is a discussion about recovery for pitchers from the rotator cuff portion of the surgery Deduno had in September. Granted, this was the state of the art in 2007, but still.

On top of this, he also had repair of the tearing of the cartilaginous labrum. The prognosis for most pitchers with this injury is not good.

One of the two people talking optimistically about this is his agent (he might be biased) and the other is Terry Ryan, similarly optimistic. One wonders how the surgeon views the chances of ultimate 100% recovery and the odds of his patient being ready for spring training.

I wish Deduno well.

Nice post. Please keep those interesting links coming.

glunn
01-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Bump.

AWOLNATION_11
01-04-2014, 10:44 AM
Looks like I'm a few days behind everyone else, but here goes anyway. Signed up because my wife is sick of me telling her about what I read.
Been a fan of the site for a while now.
Couple initial thoughts.

Garza - I say if Ryan can get him for the 3 years $54 million I believe Wolfson tweeted. Go for it. Bring in the pitching and let everything work itself out in the spring.

3B - I know the Twins want guys that can play everyday and they may not want to block Sano, but anyone have any thoughts on potentially bringing in a platoon partner for Plouffe? Wilson Betemit is a free agent with a noticeable split favoring his left side. He isn't much of a defender, but neither is Plouffe. Just seems like a bit of a waste to bring in the pitching and not at least look for a little bit of an offense upgrade. Plouffe definitely has more success vs. lefties and Betemit isn't the kind of commitment that would block Sano once he is ready.

40-man implications on both Garza and Betmit, but there are options there in my opinion.

Jim Crikket
01-04-2014, 11:52 PM
Good first post.

I agree that adding Garza would be good if he can be had for 3 years. In fact, I'm probably among the few around here who would consider something longer or maybe vesting years if he stays healthy those 3 years.

As for 3B, I agree that exploring a platoon partner for Plouffe would be worth exploring. Part of the problem, though, is that FA 3Bs and their agents know that Miguel Sano is on the Twins doorstep and not many of them will be anxious to sign on to be part of a platoon in April that may well not exist when Sano shows up in July and they want him playing against all pitching. Maybe a trade for a part time 3B if it doesn't cost much?

glunn
01-05-2014, 12:36 AM
Looks like I'm a few days behind everyone else, but here goes anyway. Signed up because my wife is sick of me telling her about what I read.
Been a fan of the site for a while now.
Couple initial thoughts.

Garza - I say if Ryan can get him for the 3 years $54 million I believe Wolfson tweeted. Go for it. Bring in the pitching and let everything work itself out in the spring.

3B - I know the Twins want guys that can play everyday and they may not want to block Sano, but anyone have any thoughts on potentially bringing in a platoon partner for Plouffe? Wilson Betemit is a free agent with a noticeable split favoring his left side. He isn't much of a defender, but neither is Plouffe. Just seems like a bit of a waste to bring in the pitching and not at least look for a little bit of an offense upgrade. Plouffe definitely has more success vs. lefties and Betemit isn't the kind of commitment that would block Sano once he is ready.

40-man implications on both Garza and Betmit, but there are options there in my opinion.

Welcome to TD (as a poster). I hope to see many more posts from you.

Sconnie
01-05-2014, 08:31 AM
I still think that the Twins have not yet hit rock bottom, though.
Good point. It's still a pretty veteran team (crappy, but veteran). The quality will go down when the youth movement goes full swing.

Sconnie
01-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Well written and researched. I wish I was this good of a poster.

Paul Pleiss
01-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Lurk. Lurk. Lurk.

John Bonnes
01-05-2014, 03:18 PM

This is the single best reason I've ever read for starting to post on a forum. I also like the idea of Garza and kicking the tires on Betemit, but I think this was the highlight of your post. :-)

ashburyjohn
01-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Trust me, wives are capable of locating the negatives to signing up at TD, as well.

Al Frankensteinbrenner
01-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Trust me, wives are capable of locating the negatives to signing up at TD, as well.

To be fair, I think Twins Daily has made me capable of locating the negatives of signing up for a wife...

(I kid, I kid. Don't post on here much, but it's a wonderful place to get info on the Twinkies from afar. Here's to hoping Parmalee, Plouffe, and Hicks - those players who tend to make Twins fans the most erascible as we ponder just why they can't be consistent - coming through in 2014.)

ChiTownTwinsFan
01-06-2014, 11:07 AM
It's why I will never have one. Oh, wait ... maybe there's a better reason for that ... ;)

twinsnorth49
01-06-2014, 04:55 PM

It's why I will never have one. Oh, wait ... maybe there's a better reason for that ... ;)

Which is....?

TwinChargers
01-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Hello all. Looks like you have yourselves a nice site going here. I've been on some forums that one could say are significantly 'less moderated' than this appears to be. Some nice, level headed Twins talk is just what I'm looking for. Looks to be a pretty active community also, so there are just a few pluses to joining in.

ChiTownTwinsFan
01-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Hello all. Looks like you have yourselves a nice site going here. I've been on some forums that one could say are significantly 'less moderated' than this appears to be. Some nice, level headed Twins talk is just what I'm looking for. Looks to be a pretty active community also, so there are just a few pluses to joining in.

Welcome! Glad you like the site ... I will look forward to reading your future posts! :)

glunn
01-21-2014, 11:30 PM

Please check out the TD policy thread at the top of the main forum page. We strive for discussion that is vigorous and interesting, while maintaining a respectful tone.

I hope that you become an active poster.

amjgt
01-25-2014, 01:31 PM
What's up with the new delay in getting posts posted?

At some point, after enough posts, does that go away? I've never gotten into it with anyone here and I'd be surprised if I was ever flagged/reported for any of my posts.

ChiTownTwinsFan
01-25-2014, 02:35 PM
What's up with the new delay in getting posts posted?

At some point, after enough posts, does that go away? I've never gotten into it with anyone here and I'd be surprised if I was ever flagged/reported for any of my posts.

The system seems to flag posts from time to time. There really isn't a rhyme or reason to it, so it's not a 'new person' thing that will go away over time. The moderators do check this out on a daily basis and manually 'approve' these posts. Sorry for the inconvenience. Perhaps someone more technically savvy could give you a better answer, but it doesn't have anything to do with being 'reported.' You'd get a note from one of us if that were the case.

KirbyHawk75
01-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Hi everyone.. I have been a long time lurker. I finally signed up.. I am from NW Iowa.. Grew up as a huge Twins fan.. Grew up loving Kirby, Herbie, Gaetti, Gladden, Gagne, etc. Suffered through the long 90's after '92 but never stopped following the Twins..I remember getting excited about signings of players like Orlando Merced and Kevin Maas. Then was the same age as Jacque Jones, Hunter, Doug M, AJ P, etc. And that was a special group to follow. Like everyone else here suffered during the contraction talk and the stadium issues. Excited to finally sign up.

glunn
01-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Hi everyone.. I have been a long time lurker. I finally signed up.. I am from NW Iowa.. Grew up as a huge Twins fan.. Grew up loving Kirby, Herbie, Gaetti, Gladden, Gagne, etc. Suffered through the long 90's after '92 but never stopped following the Twins..I remember getting excited about signings of players like Orlando Merced and Kevin Maas. Then was the same age as Jacque Jones, Hunter, Doug M, AJ P, etc. And that was a special group to follow. Like everyone else here suffered during the contraction talk and the stadium issues. Excited to finally sign up.

Welcome to TD! I look forward to seeing more posts from you.

Jim Crikket
01-27-2014, 02:07 PM

YES! Another Iowan! We are destined to rule the world some day.

Twins Daily Admin
01-27-2014, 02:49 PM

Welcome. Glad you took the plunge!

JB_Iowa
01-27-2014, 03:01 PM
YES! Another Iowan! We are destined to rule the world some day.

I'd be happy with ruling part of the world on 4/7/14. :)

Joe Twin Fan
01-27-2014, 03:31 PM
I have been a frequent visitor of Twins Daily and have decided to sign up as a rookie poster on the forum. Long time Twins fan even back to the days of Tony O., Harmon, Cesar Tovar, and the likes. Yes they have been down the past few years but I think the new starting pitchers signed this winter will get us back to a respectable .500 year.

JB_Iowa
01-27-2014, 03:33 PM
I have been a frequent visitor of Twins Daily and have decided to sign up as a rookie poster on the forum. Long time Twins fan even back to the days of Tony O., Harmon, Cesar Tovar, and the likes. Yes they have been down the past few years but I think the new starting pitchers signed this winter will get us back to a respectable .500 year.

Always love to hear from someone who remembers the 60's!

ashburyjohn
01-28-2014, 02:25 PM

"If you can remember anything about the sixties, you weren't really there." -- Paul Kantner

/ I guess he qualifies as an expert on this

Jim Crikket
01-28-2014, 03:11 PM
"If you can remember anything about the sixties, you weren't really there." -- Paul Kantner

/ I guess he qualifies as an expert on this

I was there and since I was just 13 when the 60s drew to a close, I remember a lot of them. It's the 70s that are a bit, shall we say, hazy.

TexasTwinkie
01-30-2014, 05:27 PM
clever....so you got me! this time of year, with several weeks to go, I find myself scouring the web for anything Twins I can find to feed my hunger for the game. I found you guys...lucky me? I think so.

twinsnorth49
01-30-2014, 05:39 PM
clever....so you got me! this time of year, with several weeks to go, I find myself scouring the web for anything Twins I can find to feed my hunger for the game. I found you guys...lucky me? I think so.

Welcome, we're not really that clever. Hope to hear more from you, I think as Twins fans, we're all pretty lucky to have this site.

cwzimmerman
02-03-2014, 11:51 AM

I remember a bit of the 60s as well, particularly the '68 and '69 seasons (born in '60). Remember trying to catch games on WCCO in '68 from a little transistor radio in my bedroom in St. Cloud. I have also been told that I had a nickname for former Twins catcher Earl Battey. Based on what my mom has mentioned, I seemed to take great joy in referring to him as "Hurl" Battey at some time prior to that. I don't even remember what years he played for the Twins.

Nowdays, about the only chance I get to watch or listen, outside of annual 2 week trips to central Minnesota from my current home just north of Indianapolis, is via the MLB package on DirecTV, plus some additional items garnered while lurking on this site.

cwzimmerman
02-03-2014, 12:02 PM

I too have had a great deal of admiration for Kirby, Herbie, G-Man, and Bruno from that era. However, except for a few scattered seasons, most of the 70s, 80s, and 90s were far more often than not difficult times to be a Twins fan. Obviously many of us persevered and kept following the Twins during the many down years because of our innate love of both the game and the team. I also remember how utterly gut-wrenching listening to all that contraction talk was and how depressing it was when Calvin Griffith had all but sold the team to a group from Charlotte, NC. Thankfully, Carl Pohlad stepped in and saved the day by purchasing the team.

zakprior
02-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Hi All, long time lurker here. Love the Twins and Baseball. I come from and live in London, UK, but maintain a large support for all twin cities teams. Having had family live in the twin cities for 8 years, I developed a passion for the teams, especially the twins, despite living 2000 miles away. The family have now moved on to Colorado, but I maintain my love for Minnesota sports.

I found Twins Daily at the beginning of the 2012 season and have been a regular reader of blog posts, and the forums ever since. Having just seen this thread I thought it would be a good idea to say hello and introduce myself. Hopefully from now on I will post a bit more. Also hoping to come to the US in the summer, and make it to some twins games.

JB_Iowa
02-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Hi All, long time lurker here. Love the Twins and Baseball. I come from and live in London, UK

I just wish I could hear you say your post instead of having to read it -- I don't do well imagining British accents but I love them!

Welcome.

birddog
02-03-2014, 02:28 PM
I have been reading TD for about a year now. I love the site, as I love baseball and my Twins. Am hoping the three-year ineptitude is at its end and the future starts this year with Sano, Meyer and Buxton making appearances with the big boys sometime this year. Actually would not be too disappointed if it comes later as we may be going to New Britain in June.

Jim Crikket
02-03-2014, 02:30 PM
I remember a bit of the 60s as well, particularly the '68 and '69 seasons (born in '60). Remember trying to catch games on WCCO in '68 from a little transistor radio in my bedroom in St. Cloud. I have also been told that I had a nickname for former Twins catcher Earl Battey. Based on what my mom has mentioned, I seemed to take great joy in referring to him as "Hurl" Battey at some time prior to that. I don't even remember what years he played for the Twins.

Just looking at your name, I would have guessed you were a bigger fan of Battey's backup catcher throughout those mid-60s teams... Jerry Zimmerman!

glunn
02-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Hi All, long time lurker here. Love the Twins and Baseball. I come from and live in London, UK, but maintain a large support for all twin cities teams. Having had family live in the twin cities for 8 years, I developed a passion for the teams, especially the twins, despite living 2000 miles away. The family have now moved on to Colorado, but I maintain my love for Minnesota sports.

I found Twins Daily at the beginning of the 2012 season and have been a regular reader of blog posts, and the forums ever since. Having just seen this thread I thought it would be a good idea to say hello and introduce myself. Hopefully from now on I will post a bit more. Also hoping to come to the US in the summer, and make it to some twins games.

Welcome Zak. I hope to see more from you!

glunn
02-03-2014, 07:21 PM
I have been reading TD for about a year now. I love the site, as I love baseball and my Twins. Am hoping the three-year ineptitude is at its end and the future starts this year with Sano, Meyer and Buxton making appearances with the big boys sometime this year. Actually would not be too disappointed if it comes later as we may be going to New Britain in June.

Thanks for joining in, and I hope that now that the ice has been broken you will post in other threads.

cwzimmerman
02-04-2014, 05:33 AM
Just looking at your name, I would have guessed you were a bigger fan of Battey's backup catcher throughout those mid-60s teams... Jerry Zimmerman!

While I certainly remember him, I was a bit too young to really have any strong attraction to him for that reason. Besides, Zimmerman is not all that uncommon a surname wherever those of German descent (like myself) tended to congregate when they immigrated from the old country.

Rick Niedermann
02-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Autographs at Twinsfest: I have a collection of about 60 Autographed Twins Baseballs. Ranging from Bernardo Brito to Rod Carew. I'm amazed at the poor quality of the younger players autographs. Roy Smalley gives a great autograph. As do Tony Oliva, Rod Carew, Tim Laudner and Dick Stigman. Mike Pelfrey's was acceptable. But if you pulled a guy off the street and asked him to tell you the name on the ball he'd have no clue. Joe Mauer might get recognized just because it's Mauer. I think Anthony Swarzak, Alex Myer and Chris Parmelee try a little. But Alex Presley and Phil Hughes you'd be hard pressed to know whose autograph it was even it you were a huge Twins fan. Jason Bartlett's autograph is a joke (and he impressed me as somewhat of a smug ass Twinsfest). And Vance Worley is nothing but a scribble. At least he leaves his number by his scribble so you can look up who it is.

snepp
02-08-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm amazed at the poor quality of the younger players autographs. Roy Smalley gives a great autograph. As do Tony Oliva, Rod Carew, Tim Laudner and Dick Stigman. Mike Pelfrey's was acceptable.

No mention of Killebrew's signature quality? :)

On the subject, here are a couple of nuggets on Harmon getting Twins to sign better autographs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130806&content_id=56073436&vkey=news_col&c_id=col

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23281942/shooter-now-minnesota-twins-justin-morneau-has-mixed

dakotanative
02-09-2014, 08:10 AM
This is a great site. The minor league reports are a daily read during the season...thanks a million for those. It is also great to know there are so many passionate fans of our favorite team. Is this too optomistic for producing runs?

July 4, 2014 batting order

#1 - Byron Buxton, CF
#2 - Eddie Rosario, 2B
#3 - Joe Mauer, 1B
#4 - Miguel Sano, 3B
#5 - Josh Willingham, DH
#6 - Oswaldo Arcia, RF
#7 - Josmil Pinto, C
#8 - Aaron Hicks, LF
#9 - Pedro Florimon, SS

I'd buy a ticket.

Nice lineup. I love your optimism. One note: Arcia belongs in leftfield and Hicks in right. Need to take advantage of Hicks' range and great arm. Also, I suggest getting rid of Willingham. Kubel and Plouffe can rotate through that position. Finally, there is a lot of youth in the that line up and scoring runs might be a challenge. Now scoring runs in 2016 is a different issue - a little seasoning goes a long way.

tmerrickkeller
02-13-2014, 10:32 AM
I've subscribed to Twins Territory Team the past few years, because it includes a field tour and some other stuff and Gameday audio for the same price as just getting Gameday Audio all by itself. I didn't get a renewal email this year (I don't think) and now I can't find it on the minnesotatwins website. Is TTT gone? Anyone know?

A beginner
02-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Taking a huge leap of faith (in responding to this question ) here fellas (that's a generic fellas, posting women). I am truly a beginner and quite happy in my role as lurker. Because I have a kid who plays (pitches) I have become a huge fan of baseball and I am just really starting to learn about it during the last 4 years. It's a great sport to try and understand if you don't know anything about it because there is so much to read. I come to this website to learn about the nuances of the game, the strengths and (and weaknesses) of the players, and all the stuff you might miss if you are just watching. I don't have much to say, I just want to learn. So thanks.

ChiTownTwinsFan
02-17-2014, 06:11 PM
Taking a huge leap of faith (in responding to this question ) here fellas (that's a generic fellas, posting women). I am truly a beginner and quite happy in my role as lurker. Because I have a kid who plays (pitches) I have become a huge fan of baseball and I am just really starting to learn about it during the last 4 years. It's a great sport to try and understand if you don't know anything about it because there is so much to read. I come to this website to learn about the nuances of the game, the strengths and (and weaknesses) of the players, and all the stuff you might miss if you are just watching. I don't have much to say, I just want to learn. So thanks.

Welcome! And don't be afraid to ask questions ... but be prepared for a wide variety of answers as we all seem to have a little different take on things! :)

twinsnorth49
02-17-2014, 08:22 PM

Great to have you aboard.

A beginner
02-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Welcome! And don't be afraid to ask questions ... but be prepared for a wide variety of answers as we all seem to have a little different take on things! :)

I don't need to ask questions, I can just sit back and watch you all weigh in on "the answer" to someone else's question. It's why I come here.

slash129
02-18-2014, 04:52 PM
I just came across this site over the holidays and have made it what it's called as a lurker for the six weeks since then. My browser tabs usually go GMail, Yahoo Mail, Ebay, TwinsDaily of late. I decided to create an account today. It's been great reading all the articles and discussions around the direction of the team. I guess I'd like to ask why the Twins seem to be so interested in cornering the market on soft-tossing AAAA lefties of late. I guess if they could get 16 of them and each one makes an Albers-esque debut and follow-up, they'd be set.

glunn
02-18-2014, 11:13 PM
I just came across this site over the holidays and have made it what it's called as a lurker for the six weeks since then. My browser tabs usually go GMail, Yahoo Mail, Ebay, TwinsDaily of late. I decided to create an account today. It's been great reading all the articles and discussions around the direction of the team. I guess I'd like to ask why the Twins seem to be so interested in cornering the market on soft-tossing AAAA lefties of late. I guess if they could get 16 of them and each one makes an Albers-esque debut and follow-up, they'd be set.

Good first post. I think that you will find your topic of interest in multiple threads. Please feel free to join in.

messed up
02-19-2014, 03:02 PM
I've been checking this site for well over a year now and really enjoy the articles but haven't posed much do to some of the remarks that have been made. I've been a Twins fan for nearly 50 years and follow them as well as their minor league teams. I can't get enough of Twins related news so I was wondering what other sites are out there for a Twins finatic like me?

LC34
02-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Hey all new here been lurking for about a year and love the articles and insight from fellow posters. I probably wont post much as I don't have much to say but just throwing my name out there so I am not a complete stranger. Go Twins! Cant wait to see what the next few years bring to the organization!

JB_Iowa
02-19-2014, 04:59 PM
I've been checking this site for well over a year now and really enjoy the articles but haven't posed much do to some of the remarks that have been made. I've been a Twins fan for nearly 50 years and follow them as well as their minor league teams. I can't get enough of Twins related news so I was wondering what other sites are out there for a Twins finatic like me?

I'm sorry about some of the remarks that may have bothered you. I went back and looked at your posts and the responses seemed pretty mild to me (but maybe some have been deleted). There is a lot of back and forth on this site but most of it is pretty good-natured. And the mods do a good job of keeping it that way.

I don't know if you'll find a site you will like better (and can't recommend any because TD is my daily fix) but I think if you post a little more often, you'll find that other posters may sometimes disagree with you but generally in a cordial way. it takes a little bit of time to find your footing and the threads that are most welcoming and a best "fit" for you but over time that develops. If nothing else, once the season starts, check out the game threads. They are a bit like walking into a sports bar -- you have to get your feet wet but overall, other posters are glad to see new "faces" (and less intense than in some of the main threads).

JB_Iowa
02-19-2014, 05:01 PM
I probably wont post much as I don't have much to say

Short posts are often the best!!!

Signed,

A bag of wind (that's me) :)

snepp
02-19-2014, 10:27 PM
If nothing else, once the season starts, check out the game threads. They are a bit like walking into a sports bar -- you have to get your feet wet but overall, other posters are glad to see new "faces" (and less intense than in some of the main threads).

This is fantastic advice, x100.

twinsnorth49
02-19-2014, 10:59 PM

This should be the only one you need, if you want to know what's happening with the Twins, you'll find it here.

Don't be discouraged by some possible negative responses, I'm not sure when those might have been but the moderation has come a long way and we're pretty intolerant about members being disrespectful to one another. There is also the "report post" function which I would encourage you to utilize if you feel someone is stepping over the line.

I think for the most part once you get involved and get a sense for where people are coming from you might enjoy posting more often, the discussions are always lively, interesting and more than a bit passionate at times.

glunn
02-21-2014, 12:07 AM
Welcome, new blood. We all started as lurkers then rookies, and the primary goal is to have fun talking about baseball.

biggentleben
02-22-2014, 01:07 PM
Welcome, new blood. We all started as lurkers then rookies, and the primary goal is to have fun talking about baseball.

Some of us were transfers, though. RIP, BYTO :P

Butterfingers8
02-23-2014, 03:13 AM
This should be the only one you need, if you want to know what's happening with the Twins, you'll find it here.

True for the most part, they even have a widget on the side of the homepage that has links to articles from other sites. Keep up the amazing work TD! I love having twins articles to read daily.

Original_JB
02-24-2014, 03:02 AM
Post a lot of places, got around to registering here. Seems like my Twins fandom has come full circle. Grew up (I'm 49) listening on the radio and after a 10 year stint as a 40 game ST holder, finally gave up my tix 2 years ago; not so much my unhappiness with the team, but more the front office and how they jobbed anyone who wasn't a full ST holder at Target Field, as opposed to the benefits we used to get at the dome. I get it, it's a business, but when they made their beds as "family entertainment" as opposed to "come watch the baseball game", I just wasn't going to play that game. Now the last few years they don't even have any OTA games, and I'm back to the radio. It's a shame really, because I love the game, but I'm not going to tolerate being a 10 year ticket vet and need to jump through hoops for an online lottery to maybe get home opener tickets, or be stuck not even being able to buy full playoff strips, not even going to get into the whole All Star game leverage BS they pull. Am I crabby about all that? Not anymore, just filling in the blanks for anyone who cares to read.

JB_Iowa
02-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Post a lot of places, got around to registering here. Seems like my Twins fandom has come full circle.

Welcome! I've seen you posting elsewhere but don't think I've ever said "Hi!". Just want you to know that when I picked JB_Iowa, I didn't realize that there was an Original_JB (those are really fine initials) -- I'm just not creative enough to come up with a better screen name.

This JB agrees with many of your sentiments about the emphasis on the Target Field "experience" rather than "baseball at Target Field".

Hope you'll post more now that you've registered.

sampleSizeOfOne
03-05-2014, 04:15 PM
(old programing lessons die hard, hence the title)

it is always fun to try something new!

do i lose my coveted lurker status by posting?

i might have something interesting to say, and if so, i shan't hesitate to say it.

either way, i'll likely remain an avid reader.

and of course, thanks for all the work that goes into this site.

(and is writing sans capitalization discouraged? pretty sure i can break the habit if necessary...)

ashburyjohn
03-05-2014, 05:17 PM
(and is writing sans capitalization discouraged? pretty sure i can break the habit if necessary...)

1001 format ( ' I would say instead that normal capitalization is encouraged. ' )

sampleSizeOfOne
03-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Got it.

I may leave an "i" in lower case to emphasize humility, as that is my internal justification for a bad habit, but learning to do things the right way is usually worth the effort. Thanks!

ashburyjohn
03-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Looking forward to reading your baseball thoughts.

sampleSizeOfOne
03-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Looking forward to reading your baseball thoughts.

"Please don't let the big bat hit me!" is the first thing that comes to mind... (properly executed in a thought bubble from the baseball as it leaves the pitcher's hand.)

Wouldn't say i'm particularly opinionated on personnel decisions, nor very subtle on strategies. I've really appreciated the humor of the game threads last summer though!

ashburyjohn
03-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Close enough?

sampleSizeOfOne
03-05-2014, 08:26 PM
You bet!

Trautmann13
03-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Been here for a few months and I absolutely love what you guys do here! This is such a professional and kind environment I am so glad to be (sort of) a part of. Everyone from Bonnes and Hageman to Nelson and all the smaller guys makes me even more excited to be a Twins fan and hopefully we can get a half ways good team to talk about here soon. Thanks again guys!

-Noah Trautmann

John Bonnes
03-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Been here for a few months and I absolutely love what you guys do here! This is such a professional and kind environment I am so glad to be (sort of) a part of. Everyone from Bonnes and Hageman to Nelson and all the smaller guys makes me even more excited to be a Twins fan and hopefully we can get a half ways good team to talk about here soon. Thanks again guys!

-Noah Trautmann

Thanks for introducing yourself.

glunn
03-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Wouldn't say i'm particularly opinionated on personnel decisions, nor very subtle on strategies. I've really appreciated the humor of the game threads last summer though!

Welcome, former lurker. The game threads are a good way to get your feet wet as an active poster.

glunn
03-06-2014, 11:38 PM

-Noah Trautmann

Welcome, Noah!

longstrangetrip
03-16-2014, 12:22 PM
I just registered and am looking forward to participating in this great forum. I stumbled on it last summer and followed it mostly to keep up on our interesting prospects. I found it to be one of the most knowledgeable sports boards I have seen. I am a long-time Twins fan...fortunate to have been at all three WS Game Sevens (the 1965 loss to Koufax and the Dodgers can be watched in its entirety on youtube!). I was a season ticket holder for 2 years at Target Field, but since my move to Los Angeles, I get my Twins fix on MLB League Pass and infrequent trips to the Big A. Glad to be here!

twinsnorth49
03-16-2014, 02:14 PM
I just registered and am looking forward to participating in this great forum. I stumbled on it last summer and followed it mostly to keep up on our interesting prospects. I found it to be one of the most knowledgeable sports boards I have seen. I am a long-time Twins fan...fortunate to have been at all three WS Game Sevens (the 1965 loss to Koufax and the Dodgers can be watched in its entirety on youtube!). I was a season ticket holder for 2 years at Target Field, but since my move to Los Angeles, I get my Twins fix on MLB League Pass and infrequent trips to the Big A. Glad to be here!

Glad to have you.

DJSim22
03-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Just checking in, in the off season I tend to lurk and check out a few articles. Looking forward to a more respectable season with 70-75 wins and more hope for the future.

ChiTownTwinsFan
03-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Just checking in, in the off season I tend to lurk and check out a few articles. Looking forward to a more respectable season with 70-75 wins and more hope for the future.

Welcome aboard!

jgfellows
04-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Hey moderators and others

I'm checking in here as requested. I'm a twins fan and a huge homer! My other interests include buying powerball tickets and looking for Bigfoot.

I hope I find some kindred spirits

Brock Beauchamp
04-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Welcome to the board!

jgfellows
04-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Welcome to the board!

Thanks Brock!

ChiTownTwinsFan
04-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Welcome, jgfellows. Yes, we are all huge homers or we wouldn't be here, so yes, you are among kindred spirits. Have never been on a Bigfoot search but it could be fun. I'm always up for an interesting adventure. And who doesn't buy powerball tickets????? :)

Kyle Gibson
04-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Hey guys, new member here. My name is Lukas, sorry for the unoriginal user name.

Big fan of the web site Twins Daily. Read it on a daily basis, but rarely did i come to lurk the forum. The forum/s i do post on are not very active, so they don't fill my need. From me lurking on here, this seems like the place for me, so with Twins home opener today, i figured this would be the perfect time to join.

I live in Rochester, NY, the home of the AAA Twins farm club, but i actually "grew up" a Twins fan even before the Twins came to town. I don't have any connection to Minnesota however. As kids, we used to play backyard baseball all the time after school, and all of my friends were either Yankees, Mets or Baltimore (at the time, Rochester's AAA farm team), and before games we'd pick players-to-be. I was in love with Kirby Puckett. Loved his game. It came from watching him and once reading a article on him on SI-Kids. One Saturday morning, my parents went to the public market here and saw a cheap Puckett jersey. They bought it for me and from that day on, i went from being a Puckett fan into a Twins fan.

Anyhow, looking forward to talking baseball and Twins with you all from this point forward.

ChiTownTwinsFan
04-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Hey guys, new member here. My name is Lukas, sorry for the unoriginal user name.

Big fan of the web site Twins Daily. Read it on a daily basis, but rarely did i come to lurk the forum. The forum/s i do post on are not very active, so they don't fill my need. From me lurking on here, this seems like the place for me, so with Twins home opener today, i figured this would be the perfect time to join.

I live in Rochester, NY, the home of the AAA Twins farm club, but i actually "grew up" a Twins fan even before the Twins came to town. I don't have any connection to Minnesota however. As kids, we used to play backyard baseball all the time after school, and all of my friends were either Yankees, Mets or Baltimore (at the time, Rochester's AAA farm team), and before games we'd pick players-to-be. I was in love with Kirby Puckett. Loved his game. It came from watching him and once reading a article on him on SI-Kids. One Saturday morning, my parents went to the public market here and saw a cheap Puckett jersey. They bought it for me and from that day on, i went from being a Puckett fan into a Twins fan.

Anyhow, looking forward to talking baseball and Twins with you all from this point forward.

Love the back story. Welcome to the game! Look forward to seeing you post ... just jump in any time! :)

Easy 10
04-08-2014, 11:11 AM
Ahoy there. I'm not even a long-time lurker here, but I've picked up an interest in baseball and adopted the Twins over the last year-or-so through a friendship I have with a fellow Twins fan who lives in Minnesota, and my desire to read and learn more about the game and about the Twins has led me to these fine pages.

I'm a "Limey" posting from a town called Brighton in England, which is on the coast about 50 miles south of London. My first love is football (soccer), and my team is Brighton and Hove Albion, also known as the Seagulls. I see parallels between Brighton FC and the Twins in that I guess neither can be considered one of the big, successful clubs in the game, although both have had some success in years gone by. Also both have recently moved into beautiful new stadiums, so already I kind of feel a kindred spirit between the two clubs. Supporting what could be considered an underdog team comes very naturally to me ! I'm the complete opposite of a glory hunter. Any success that comes our way just feels all the sweeter for it, so I was never going to latch on to one of the bigger more ubiquitous teams. I would no more be seen wearing one of those Yankees caps than I would a Manchester United shirt - the latter of which I wouldn't even use to wash my car with. Boooo.

So I follow the Twins progress online by reading the Bleachers reports, checking scores on the excellent At Bat app, as well as watching them live on the MLB.com website when I can (and when I can stay up long enough, given that I'm 5 or 6 hours ahead of you guys!). I'm a total newbie still learning the game, wet behind the ears and greener than Shrek, but hopefully through reading this forum I'll pick up some of the nuances and gain a deeper understanding of the game.

Please be gentle with me....

ChiTownTwinsFan
04-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Ahoy there. I'm not even a long-time lurker here, but I've picked up an interest in baseball and adopted the Twins over the last year-or-so through a friendship I have with a fellow Twins fan who lives in Minnesota, and my desire to read and learn more about the game and about the Twins has led me to these fine pages.

I'm a "Limey" posting from a town called Brighton in England, which is on the coast about 50 miles south of London. My first love is football (soccer), and my team is Brighton and Hove Albion, also known as the Seagulls. I see parallels between Brighton FC and the Twins in that I guess neither can be considered one of the big, successful clubs in the game, although both have had some success in years gone by. Also both have recently moved into beautiful new stadiums, so already I kind of feel a kindred spirit between the two clubs. Supporting what could be considered an underdog team comes very naturally to me ! I'm the complete opposite of a glory hunter. Any success that comes our way just feels all the sweeter for it, so I was never going to latch on to one of the bigger more ubiquitous teams. I would no more be seen wearing one of those Yankees caps than I would a Manchester United shirt - the latter of which I wouldn't even use to wash my car with. Boooo.

So I follow the Twins progress online by reading the Bleachers reports, checking scores on the excellent At Bat app, as well as watching them live on the MLB.com website when I can (and when I can stay up long enough, given that I'm 5 or 6 hours ahead of you guys!). I'm a total newbie still learning the game, wet behind the ears and greener than Shrek, but hopefully through reading this forum I'll pick up some of the nuances and gain a deeper understanding of the game.

Please be gentle with me....

Welcome, Easy 10, from across the 'pond.' You won't find a better site for all things Twins. Enjoy your trip into baseball fanaticism! :)

Easy 10
04-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Welcome, Easy 10, from across the 'pond.' You won't find a better site for all things Twins. Enjoy your trip into baseball fanaticism! :)

Much appreciated ChiTown, thanks for the warm welcome !

A vists to Target Field to take in a game or three is definitely on my bucket list. I have always had a stadium addiction, and TF really looks amazing. I'll need very little persuasion to take up JB_Iowa on that steak either. :)

Hosken Bombo Disco
04-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Ahoy there...

Please continue to post and ask questions! We only ask (well, I am asking) that you occasionally trade with us some of your football knowledge.

JB_Iowa
04-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Much appreciated ChiTown, thanks for the warm welcome !

A vists to Target Field to take in a game or three is definitely on my bucket list. I have always had a stadium addiction, and TF really looks amazing. I'll need very little persuasion to take up JB_Iowa on that steak either. :)

Come to Iowa -- Best beef in the world! I can go to my local butcher and we can even trace it to the farm where it was raised!

Easy 10
04-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Please continue to post and ask questions! We only ask (well, I am asking) that you occasionally trade with us some of your football knowledge.

Ooh happily !
I'm in a particularly good mood tonight as my team Brighton (The Seagulls) just won 4-1 away at the league leaders Leicester City. HUGE result for us, as with 5 games to go we are chasing hard for a Playoff spot.

This is our stadium - its called the American Express Community Stadium, so theres another connection. We had to fight tooth and nail to get this built, and we're very proud of it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/Falmer_Stadium_-_night.jpg/220px-Falmer_Stadium_-_night.jpg

http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/amex-300x224.png

http://www.kssgroup.com/images/projects-images/AMEX_Community_Stadium/AMEX_Community_Stadium_01.jpg

Seeeeaaaggguullsss

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-aCYSzt6jZZ4/TWBCkR2aYjI/AAAAAAAAGek/-6tdHIYDfpI/s450/Stoke+v+Brighton+066.JPG

(sorry, I'm getting carried away...)

Easy 10
04-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Come to Iowa -- Best beef in the world! I can go to my local butcher and we can even trace it to the farm where it was raised!

You're on.

I had a 22oz Porterhouse steak in Orlando a few years back, and I still salivate uncontrollably when I think about it. Oh my god, you americans sure know how to grill.

*drool*

twinsnorth49
04-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Welcome Easy 10, glad to have you aboard.

Nice to have a knowledgeable football fan on the board, look forward to some discussion in the Sports Bar. My Mom was born and raised in Liverpool and most of my family still lives there , so sorry I'm a diehard Reds fan (although half the family are blue noses). I'm on pins and needles waiting on this weekends match with Man City. It would be so nice to see the title after 24 long years, especially for Gerrard and a win would go a long way in that.

That's a beautiful looking stadium, how many does it seat?

p.s. I share your hatred of Man U, I wouldn't wipe my a** with one of those shirts.;)

Easy 10
04-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Welcome Easy 10, glad to have you aboard.

Nice to have a knowledgeable football fan on the board, look forward to some discussion in the Sports Bar. My Mom was born and raised in Liverpool and most of my family still lives there , so sorry I'm a diehard Reds fan (although half the family are blue noses). I'm on pins and needles waiting on this weekends match with Man City. It would be so nice to see the title after 24 long years, especially for Gerrard and a win would go a long way in that.

That's a beautiful looking stadium, how many does it seat?

p.s. I share your hatred of Man U, I wouldn't wipe my a** with one of those shirts.;)

Hehe, thanks twinsnorth, glad to be here. I would have expressed our mutual despising of Man Utd in more colourful terms, but I wasn't sure if I could say a**e on here ! The Amex (as we call it) seats 30,500, and is mostly sold out for every game so makes for a great atmosphere.

As an aside, I have a lot of respect for Liverpool FC. You may or may not be aware, but this Saturday marks the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster, so every game is kicking off at 3.07pm (instead of 3pm). 3.07 was the minute that fateful game was stopped by the referee, as the tragic events of that day began to unravel.

I'll be at the Amex for our game....its going to be very poignant.

Bill T
04-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Well here it goes. My first post on TD. Been a fan a for about a year now. Believe it or not my first real year as a Twin fan was 1982. Yes, that 1982, the one where the Twins lost 102 games and of course their first year in the Dome. I spent much of the summer, when not hanging out with my friends, listening to Herb Carneal on the radio. I was enthralled with all the talk about this team loaded with rookies. Kent Hrbek, Gary Gaetti, Tim Laudner, Lenny Faedo, Jim Eisenreich, Dave Engle, Randy Bush and Frank Viola and later joined by Tom Brunansky. I was too young to really appreciate how dreadful they were in 1982. It didn't matter. Something in my naÔve and untainted mind told me that this was a special group of players and that this was going to lead to something big. I remember taking all kinds of flack from my friends for leaving whatever game we were playing early to go home and listen to the Twins(not many on TV back then). I actually kept track of all the homers they hit. Well all that loyalty paid off with 7 game series win in 1987.

I see the same glimmers of hope for the Twin's future now that we saw in 1982. Yes, we are going to have to be patient. But the likes of Sano, Buxton, Meyer, Stewart, Gibson, Hicks, Arcia, Pinto, Gonsalves, Rosario, etc,etc give me even more optimism than that naÔve teen back in 82. Good times are ahead ladies and gentlemen and I am truly glad to have found a site that will allow us to relish together as hardcore Twins fans in the joyous moments to come!

With all that said, my avatar will tell you that I was even more of a North Stars fan.....and if I ever saw Norm Green in person...........

twinsnorth49
04-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Hehe, thanks twinsnorth, glad to be here. I would have expressed our mutual despising of Man Utd in more colourful terms, but I wasn't sure if I could say a**e on here ! The Amex (as we call it) seats 30,500, and is mostly sold out for every game so makes for a great atmosphere.

As an aside, I have a lot of respect for Liverpool FC. You may or may not be aware, but this Saturday marks the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster, so every game is kicking off at 3.07pm (instead of 3pm). 3.07 was the minute that fateful game was stopped by the referee, as the tragic events of that day began to unravel.

I'll be at the Amex for our game....its going to be very poignant.

Nothing to colourful when it comes to United!

I'm very aware of the Hillsborough disaster and the upcoming anniversary. The very first name on the memorial outside of Anfield is my Mom's uncle, John Alfred Anderson, I remember it pretty vividly. Two of my cousins were also at the game, it was pretty stressful as the phones were tied all day and my Aunt couldn't hear from them, fortunately they were ok, they were lifted from the madness.

I have a special Liverpool/Everton commemorative scarf from the memorial service at Anfield, not something you see everyday.

A win over Man City would be a special way to mark the day for the fans.

Good luck in the playoff hunt!

steve
04-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Before every home game, the Liverpool fans sing You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Wednesday after the Hillsborough disaster, a European Cup semi-final game between A.C. Milan and Real Madrid was played. The referee stopped play two minutes into the game to hold a minute's silence for those who lost their lives at Hillsborough. Halfway through the minute's silence, the A.C. Milan fans sang Liverpool's "You'll Never Walk Alone" as a sign of respect.

This is one of the greatest examples of sportsmanship I have ever seen.

http://youtu.be/mFX07w2-4ls

ChiTownTwinsFan
04-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Well here it goes. My first post on TD. Been a fan a for about a year now. Believe it or not my first real year as a Twin fan was 1982. Yes, that 1982, the one where the Twins lost 102 games and of course their first year in the Dome. I spent much of the summer, when not hanging out with my friends, listening to Herb Carneal on the radio. I was enthralled with all the talk about this team loaded with rookies. Kent Hrbek, Gary Gaetti, Tim Laudner, Lenny Faedo, Jim Eisenreich, Dave Engle, Randy Bush and Frank Viola and later joined by Tom Brunansky. I was too young to really appreciate how dreadful they were in 1982. It didn't matter. Something in my naÔve and untainted mind told me that this was a special group of players and that this was going to lead to something big. I remember taking all kinds of flack from my friends for leaving whatever game we were playing early to go home and listen to the Twins(not many on TV back then). I actually kept track of all the homers they hit. Well all that loyalty paid off with 7 game series win in 1987.

I see the same glimmers of hope for the Twin's future now that we saw in 1982. Yes, we are going to have to be patient. But the likes of Sano, Buxton, Meyer, Stewart, Gibson, Hicks, Arcia, Pinto, Gonsalves, Rosario, etc,etc give me even more optimism than that naÔve teen back in 82. Good times are ahead ladies and gentlemen and I am truly glad to have found a site that will allow us to relish together as hardcore Twins fans in the joyous moments to come!

With all that said, my avatar will tell you that I was even more of a North Stars fan.....and if I ever saw Norm Green in person...........
I remember those years in the 80s too. Hopefully we'll recapture that magic soon! Thanks for posting!

John Bonnes
04-11-2014, 08:58 PM

Welcome Bill T. It's really encouraging to see so many new posters brave the forums.

ThaBamaHamma
06-05-2014, 12:49 PM
New to the forum and someone told me to post here and tell a bit about myself. Well... from my user name, I guess you can tell I'm a big fan of Willingham and have become a Twins fan over the last 3 years he's been here. I'm from his hometown and know him and his family pretty good and know that he really likes playing for the Twins and has a lot of optimism this year for the team's capability. I'm a former Yankees fan growing up with Mantle as my hero. (yeah.. I know, I'm old :)). With the way Doz.. Pluff.. Waldo.. Esco.. and Hammer are swinging right now and if Santana can get hot again, we have the potential to put some runs on the board. Need one more solid pitcher and a decent CF and I may not see Josh back home in Alabama at the end of Sept. That would be great! Go Twins!

ChiTownTwinsFan
06-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Welcome, 'bama! Hope you've abandoned your Yankee ways ... ;)

ThaBamaHamma
06-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Welcome, 'bama! Hope you've abandoned your Yankee ways ... ;)
Thanks CTTF... the wife and I took in a Twins game in your Windy City around Labor Day a couple years ago. Wonder if you were there?

ChiTownTwinsFan
06-05-2014, 01:48 PM
If I wasn't traveling I probably was! I tend to avoid the cold games in April, though!

dl3mk3
06-09-2014, 10:42 AM
long time lurker...is there usually a significant delay when replying to articles?

JB_Iowa
06-09-2014, 10:51 AM
long time lurker...is there usually a significant delay when replying to articles?

It varies. Monday mornings are often slow. While there is a fair amount of posting on some ongoing threads, it often takes a while for people to have an opportunity to read, digest and respond to new articles.

Take, for example, Brad Swanson's article posted this morning. Brad has a number of faithful followers but it often takes most of a day before people start responding even though he always has a lot of humor and interesting thoughts.

glunn
06-09-2014, 02:17 PM

Welcome lurker. It's good to have you on board.

glunn
06-09-2014, 02:19 PM
New to the forum and someone told me to post here and tell a bit about myself. Well... from my user name, I guess you can tell I'm a big fan of Willingham and have become a Twins fan over the last 3 years he's been here. I'm from his hometown and know him and his family pretty good and know that he really likes playing for the Twins and has a lot of optimism this year for the team's capability. I'm a former Yankees fan growing up with Mantle as my hero. (yeah.. I know, I'm old :)). With the way Doz.. Pluff.. Waldo.. Esco.. and Hammer are swinging right now and if Santana can get hot again, we have the potential to put some runs on the board. Need one more solid pitcher and a decent CF and I may not see Josh back home in Alabama at the end of Sept. That would be great! Go Twins!

Welcome. Good comments!

I have a son who is at the U of A law school. I am glad to have you be part of TD.

diehardtwinsfan
06-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Sometimes the system flags posts as spam as well and requires moderator approval. This is typically true with new users. We keep an eye out for them, but it can take a while.

longtimefan
06-13-2014, 04:54 PM
I just signed up, a lifelong twins fan, I got to see a lot of big twins games over the years, at the Met, at the dome I loved (comfort) and our beautiful new stadium. Been following all the gripes about Hicks....sounds just like what Carlos Gomez went through, we gave up on him too early too, just like Papi, and some of the pitchers we shipped out after "giving up on them" and watching their great careers elsewhere. I think we have a serious management problem here!!!!

twinsnorth49
06-13-2014, 05:06 PM
I just signed up, a lifelong twins fan, I got to see a lot of big twins games over the years, at the Met, at the dome I loved (comfort) and our beautiful new stadium. Been following all the gripes about Hicks....sounds just like what Carlos Gomez went through, we gave up on him too early too, just like Papi, and some of the pitchers we shipped out after "giving up on them" and watching their great careers elsewhere. I think we have a serious management problem here!!!!

Welcome to the site, hope to hear more from you. There are more than enough opportunities in the forums to discuss Hicks, that's for sure.

JB_Iowa
06-13-2014, 05:07 PM

Welcome to the board and hope to see you post more often!

I'm very tired of Twins management as well and really feel like they need an infusion of new blood (or perhaps a full blood transfusion).

But since life is fleeting, I'm also just trying to enjoy the team this summer. Taking it game by game and hoping that old management is just awaiting a return to respectability before a changing of the guard.